PDA

View Full Version : todays racing digest

fmolf
07-23-2009, 07:34 AM
I see the drf is offering a new product that used to be available only for california tracks.Have any of the die hard california handicappers used Todays Racing Digest and is it worth the $5. I have read all the info in the tutorial and it looks very comprehensive and is now available for nyra tracks minus the workout info.Would appreciate any and all comments regarding the the use of this daily handicapping aid.

andymays
07-23-2009, 07:55 AM
I see the drf is offering a new product that used to be available only for california tracks.Have any of the die hard california handicappers used Todays Racing Digest and is it worth the $5. I have read all the info in the tutorial and it looks very comprehensive and is now available for nyra tracks minus the workout info.Would appreciate any and all comments regarding the the use of this daily handicapping aid.

I buy Bruno De Julio's (www.racingwithbruno.com) workout report only section at www.todaysracingdigest.com
it costs $4.

On the Del Mar Website (handicapping section http://www.dmtc.com/handicapping/trd/ ) you can see a one race analysis for free to see if you like it. For me the Bruno workouts are good stuff.

Some of the Horses that ran well off his workout comments were:

FANTASY FREE 07/18 Dmr/ft 4f 49.3h
breezed over Poly same way as July 5. Fine series
07/05 Sa/ft 5f 100.0h
Worked and bested stablemate Doriprize. Made a big burst thru the
middles stages of this work.

AFLEET EAGLE 07/12 Sa/ft 6f 113.3h
No pressure through the lane while heads up with a highly regarded
Armstrong runner--healthy appearance shipping home for Vladimir

TWIN TURBO 07/13 Sa/ft 6f 114.1h
Finished final 1/4 in 24.2. Has some progressive stamina and has built on
that in this series.

WICKEDNWACKYINGRID 07/13 Sa/ft 5f 101.2h
Athletic little filly is still hitiing on a dime--handy here with final 1/4 in 24.1

BRUSHBURN 07/17 Dmr/ft 4f 50.2h
love these easy, sharp looking 1/2 mile drills. This one seems loaded

ddog
07-23-2009, 01:33 PM
the published workout stuff is not much help.

most any good will be overbet.

You can get anything on your own that would be published in the digest and know what and why behind it as well.

46zilzal
07-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Digest was always a good scholarly review of the races but it promoted paralysis by analysis looking at TOO many factors which are really irrelevant.

andymays
07-23-2009, 02:37 PM

You can get anything on your own that would be published in the digest and know what and why behind it as well.

Where would you get the workout comments and analysis?

46zilzal
07-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Let's see: I am trying to evaluate a basketball player and I go to his WORKOUT?

Observing an athlete exercise, barring overt injury, is some how going to tell you how they actually play the game? Logic always has baffled me.

andymays
07-23-2009, 02:49 PM

Observing an athlete exercise, barring overt injury, is some how going to tell you how they actually play the game? Logic always has baffled me.

You do your handicapping and then go over the workouts to solidify your contenders, maybe elimitate others, or take a second look at a Horse you threw out!

It's important to see how they handle a new surface.

If it's a team work, who they were working with.

Whether or not a Horse is holding his/her form since the last race.

If there is a equipment change, barn change, or gelding since the last race a workout can tell you if the Horse is wakeing up with the change or going backwards.

Workouts mean quite a bit if you know what to look for in my opinion!

so.cal.fan
07-23-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm familiar with the Digest. Have been since the 1970's when it came out.
I would question it's usefulness outside of California.
In California, they have pretty good class charts....for all the different types of races and conditions. This is their best factor, far as I'm concerned.
They give fair breeding information.
I know a few people who read it in place of the DRF.
I used to get a free digest for years, and I have never found it replaces the DRF. pps.
I suppose you could use it on it's own.....I've really never tried.
Again, for other areas.....I would find out who is providing the information.

ddog
07-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Where would you get the workout comments and analysis?

andy-- i am saying that the work stuff is not worth it to me.
so i wouldn't care to find it anywhere else.

Now , for you and others it may be ok and that's fine.

I am not saying don't buy it, just stating my thoughts from using it for years in the past and tracking workout stuff for years in the past.

Admitted that was several years ago since I have used it.

andymays
07-23-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm familiar with the Digest. Have been since the 1970's when it came out.
I would question it's usefulness outside of California.
In California, they have pretty good class charts....for all the different types of races and conditions. This is their best factor, far as I'm concerned.
They give fair breeding information.
I know a few people who read it in place of the DRF.
I used to get a free digest for years, and I have never found it replaces the DRF. pps.
I suppose you could use it on it's own.....I've really never tried.
Again, for other areas.....I would find out who is providing the information.

I agree the DRF PP's (or other PP's) are first and foremost when you handicap the races.

I am also not sure how much benefit the Digest would be outside of California!

andymays
07-23-2009, 02:53 PM
andy-- i am saying that the work stuff is not worth it to me.
so i wouldn't care to find it anywhere else.

Now , for you and others it may be ok and that's fine.

I am not saying don't buy it, just stating my thoughts from using it for years in the past and tracking workout stuff for years in the past.

Admitted that was several years ago since I have used it.

The worst year I ever had was when I first started looking at workouts. I gave them too much weight and didn't really know what I was looking at.

Since then I use them much differently and have found Bruno to be the best Clocker in my opinion even though there are several other good ones!

fmolf
07-23-2009, 04:20 PM
The worst year I ever had was when I first started looking at workouts. I gave them too much weight and didn't really know what I was looking at.

Since then I use them much differently and have found Bruno to be the best Clocker in my opinion even though there are several other good ones!
thanks for all the help here ..i think i agree that this report with my bris ultimates is kind of redundant,I do not bet cal. and the workouts are not being reported for nyra tracks yet.I do not give them much weight anyway...here where it rains alot it plays havoc with workout schedules and track conditions in the morning.I also agree that too much info can cause paralysis by analysis.Much of the info in the digest seems to be in bris ultimates in a slightly different format.

andymays
07-23-2009, 05:05 PM
FLASHOVER 07/16 Dmr/ft 5f 59.2h
Finished the last /1 4in 23.2. Had solid rhythm here and best of team over
Unkown Heat.

Good team work!

Bruno did not pick this horse on top in his selections on his racingwithbruno sheet!

1GCFAN
07-23-2009, 10:36 PM
I have used it for years, usually as a supplement to the DRF. The info will tell you more of who not to bet than anything else. Especially Bruno's workout analysis.

Imriledup
07-24-2009, 12:12 AM

Its not much help if you blindly use workout comments to find winners. People who see a wkt comment that says "full of run under a nice hold, sitting on ready" and then proceed to wager on that horse and lose, will get down on wkt reports pretty fast.

But, if you are an already solid handicapper who comes up with contenders and pretenders and THEN uses the wkt report as a supplement to already solid handicapping, than i believe that the report can be an invaluable tool.

46zilzal
07-24-2009, 12:18 AM
Workouts mean quite a bit if you know what to look for in my opinion!
IF you are NOT there to watch them they mean little other than regular exercise.
How do you know what equipment they carry, how much the rider weighs, what lane they ran in, did they work in company or alone etc etc.

My friend, weighs about 160 works many of his to make sure their action is what he deems right. A great work fot THOSE he gets up on might be 1:04 h.

AND there are No drug tests after works.

We don't know about the slow long gallops that don't make the time cut off. Some nowadays have many many more of them than the quick short moves, WHICH often get changed. "Bold Ruler working 4 for Steve Savros" is what the horse identifier hears and the horse might work 6, but timed for four speeding up or slowing down One does not know unless they are there to SEE IT..

andymays
07-24-2009, 03:58 AM
IF you are NOT there to watch them they mean little other than regular exercise.
How do you know what equipment they carry, how much the rider weighs, what lane they ran in, did they work in company or alone etc etc.

My friend, weighs about 160 works many of his to make sure their action is what he deems right. A great work fot THOSE he gets up on might be 1:04 h.

AND there are No drug tests after works.

We don't know about the slow long gallops that don't make the time cut off. Some nowadays have many many more of them than the quick short moves, WHICH often get changed. "Bold Ruler working 4 for Steve Savros" is what the horse identifier hears and the horse might work 6, but timed for four speeding up or slowing down One does not know unless they are there to SEE IT..

If you're gonna quote what I had written about workouts you probably should have quoted the whole thing to put what I said about them in context.

You do your handicapping and then go over the workouts to solidify your contenders, maybe elimitate others, or take a second look at a Horse you threw out!

It's important to see how they handle a new surface.

If it's a team work, who they were working with.

Whether or not a Horse is holding his/her form since the last race.

If there is a equipment change, barn change, or gelding since the last race a workout can tell you if the Horse is wakeing up with the change or going backwards.

Workouts mean quite a bit if you know what to look for in my opinion!--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom
07-24-2009, 07:32 AM
Hey 46.....lots of people handicap, and win, many different ways. They use information you do not. Learn to live with it.

ddog
07-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Its not much help if you blindly use workout comments to find winners. People who see a wkt comment that says "full of run under a nice hold, sitting on ready" and then proceed to wager on that horse and lose, will get down on wkt reports pretty fast.

But, if you are an already solid handicapper who comes up with contenders and pretenders and THEN uses the wkt report as a supplement to already solid handicapping, than i believe that the report can be an invaluable tool.

ok, I don't have a clue. thx. :D

and, i never said I don't use works???

We tracked EVERY workout comment for 2 YEARS. They were better off left alone and just the patterns of the trainers used.

Todaysracingdigest
07-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Forgive me if this is too promotional but I will try to keep this as fact based as possible. Today's Racing Digest's primary difference from other handicapping publications is we take the raw data lines and create projected interior and final times based on a par-time-by-class standard that takes into account the subtle differences among tracks across the country. This makes it easy to compare past performances regardless of a move to a new track, distance, surface, or class.

The Digest also provides a variety of numerical ratings to assist in the evaluation of past performances by using track pars and class par times that are established for every race distance at every track we cover. The class pars are the keyto producing the accurate track variants, upon which all performance ratings are based. Finally, the Digest includes a written analysis of each race and how we think it will be run.

If you are familiar with the Calif. Digests, the new Digests are basically the same with the exception of there are not workouts in the Digests outside of Calif.

Hope this helps.

Tom
07-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Your digests are a very good product with lots of goon information. I have used the m before, and, in fact, am still signed up with you guys. You do a good job covering California racing - hats off to you! :ThmbUp:

Speed Figure
07-24-2009, 11:23 PM
The fractional charting page is GREAT! I've used it many times looking for closers.:ThmbUp:

banacek
07-25-2009, 12:07 AM

Well sometimes works help a lot for me. The 4th at Hastings tonight. #8 - Outofthesale has 4 crappy races at Emerald this year. Last year he had 2 races at Hastings..a very good one and a poor one before taking an almost year long break.

If he ran to the one good race last year, he'd win I figured, but what about the 4 lousy races at Emerald..until I checked his only two works at Hastings:
100 1/5 bullet and a 59 4/5 bullet. Seemed like he was in decent shape to me.

He paid $19.60.

Tom
07-25-2009, 09:44 AM
There ya go. It was the horse and nothing else.
But which horse?

The one who ran poorly or the one who ran good? :rolleyes:

DanG
07-25-2009, 09:58 AM
The real story is Tom changed his avatar; or 46’s theories have created a parallel universe. :eek:

http://www.askdrding.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/funny-monkey-2.jpg

spiketoo
07-25-2009, 10:36 AM
Previously used them quite frequently for works here in SoCal for years. Now they seem just like all the other noise when it comes to clocking polypoo. Their Fire Number IMHO is like a Beyer Spud Fig - toss it! Don't know how they'll do outta state - I think they're just expanding for the $$$$, but then again if they can pick 4 outta 5 losers (20% win), guess people may buy it.

ddog
07-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Your digests are a very good product with lots of goon information. I have used the m before, and, in fact, am still signed up with you guys. You do a good job covering California racing - hats off to you! :ThmbUp:

between your very apt avatar and your posting it's increasing difficult to rely on a recommendation, at least for this goon anyway!