PDA

View Full Version : PayPal Spam

dutchboy
07-22-2009, 08:19 PM
"We upgrade our security system and you need to re-enter
your personal information.Click on the link bellow and follow
the instructions."

Received the above in an email that promised to suspend my acount until I updated my personal information. I almost did as they asked until I noticed they used the word upgrade instead of upgraded and "link bellow" which I assume should be below. Maybe PT is now working for them.

So if you get a similiar email you may want to proceed with caution.

Tom
07-22-2009, 08:23 PM
No reputable vendor will EVER ask you for your private information, as they will KNOW it already.

NEVER give out anything by email or phone - ever.
NEVER click on a link. Go there yourself.
NEVER trust anyone on the net or phone. Never.

GameTheory
07-22-2009, 09:57 PM
Very common phishing type email. I get them everyday. They're all fake, trying to get your info. If it is asking you to come login somewhere, it is fake. If it is from institution where you actually have an account, and it doesn't contain your real first and last name, then it is fake. Even if it does have your name, it might be fake. (Ask yourself where they might have got it in that case.)

turfnsport
07-23-2009, 12:43 AM
emails from "Hallmark" with .exe attachments are another one.

I get nervous everytime my wife is on one of the computers...its like a ticking time bomb...lol

Snag
07-23-2009, 07:31 AM
emails from "Hallmark" with .exe attachments are another one.

I get nervous everytime my wife is on one of the computers...its like a ticking time bomb...lol

My betterhalf double clicks on everything. Drives me crazy.

I have watched her online. It's like a shopping trip everytime she signs on. She wants to open every ad to see if there might be a sale. She follows instructions very well from any web site but won't listen to me about not filling out every form requesting personal stuff. We now get spam from every online shop, work from home site, and now, the worst, are the resturants with coupons for free food. Just sign up, fill out their form, and you're on their list.

Marshall Bennett
07-23-2009, 09:41 AM
My betterhalf double clicks on everything. Drives me crazy.

I have watched her online. It's like a shopping trip everytime she signs on. She wants to open every ad to see if there might be a sale. She follows instructions very well from any web site but won't listen to me about not filling out every form requesting personal stuff. We now get spam from every online shop, work from home site, and now, the worst, are the resturants with coupons for free food. Just sign up, fill out their form, and you're on their list.
That has to be painful to watch , snag .

canleakid
07-23-2009, 12:23 PM
GOT ONE FROM WELLS FARGO "NEED TO UPDATE YOUR INFO" YEAP !!!!!!
CALLED WELLS FARGO AND IT WAS A SCAM!!!!! BEWARE OF THESE S.O.B.s

GameTheory
07-23-2009, 01:00 PM
They are ALL scams -- no need to go checking on each one. ALL scams. Just ignore them.

Overlay
07-23-2009, 06:57 PM
I get such bogus e-mail all the time purporting to be from PayPal or E-bay. Forward it to spoof@paypal.com or spoof@ebay.com.