PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Del Mar

InsideThePylons-MW
07-22-2009, 05:16 PM
No fractional times posted during race on Dmr feed or TVG.

That's the norm for TVG but what track's in house feed is without fractional times?

“This isn't the gambling business. It isn't the restaurant business. This is the entertainment business,” Joe Harper, Del Mar's President and GM talking about horse racing at Del Mar

46zilzal
07-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Thought that was just MY reception as i wondered: How fast are they going?

andymays
07-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Thought that was just MY reception as i wondered: How fast are they going?

It was 22 flat (suicide pace) for the first fraction I was told this by phone.

It is rediculous not to have the fractions up. It pisses off almost everyone!

46zilzal
07-22-2009, 05:37 PM
The Gate camera guy MUST be right on the truck: Does that thing swing back hard when they all go or what? Almost fell off a few times.

macguy
07-22-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm watching the feed at calracing.com, all fractions were shown for the 2nd race.

InsideThePylons-MW
07-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Good news and bad news in 2nd race

Good news.....The fractional times were shown.

Bad news.....Jockey racing is back. 6 guys grabbing leather going 23 2/5 and 46 4/5 in a 3+up MSW

andymays
07-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Good news and bad news in 2nd race

Good news.....The fractional times were shown.

Bad news.....Jockey racing is back. 6 guys grabbing leather going 23 2/5 and 46 4/5 in a 3+up MSW

They are all assuming it is not speed favoring when it appears that being on or near the lead is the place to be. In the first race the leaders went 22 flat but still stuck around to the top of the stretch. The closers didn't exactly blow by the field even though they should have given the pace!

JustRalph
07-22-2009, 05:51 PM
Looks like the same track as last year to me..........guess I won't be playing any Del Mar.........

Delmar and Keeneland

two great places.......ruined............

it is still early though

46zilzal
07-22-2009, 06:09 PM
SNAP goes the :10: mid stretch on the SAFE track.

I HATE seeing it ANY TIME but on the vaunted SAFETY track well then HOW can that be?

InsideThePylons-MW
07-22-2009, 06:17 PM
It's great that TVG is so in tune with what it's viewers want...."Hopefully we can get you an update on Mi Rey" Gary Seibel

point given
07-22-2009, 06:36 PM
No odds on the horses while the race is running to spot the late odds changes on the front runners.

PaceAdvantage
07-22-2009, 07:00 PM
SNAP goes the :10: mid stretch on the SAFE track.That was a little callous, don't you think Doc? Time to rethink those bedside manners if you ask me....

castaway01
07-22-2009, 07:07 PM

I HATE seeing it ANY TIME but on the vaunted SAFETY track well then HOW can that be?

Snap? What a sweetheart. And you were offended by people drinking at your precious racetrack. Too bad you don't care as much about the horses.

The first for my ignore list. Shame I'll miss the "crackle" and "pop" posts.

DanG
07-23-2009, 07:51 AM
That was a little callous, don't you think Doc? Time to rethink those bedside manners if you ask me....
Thank you…thank you…thank you for calling that post out.

An 8yo drop down in poor form meets his tragic demise and that’s the post? I know I’ve posted many stupid things I wish I could delete the next day; but that was out of line imo.

Into the way back machine when my brother worked for Mott;

Sitting in the box with the owners when one of their horses broke down in grotesque fashion and seeing the owner’s wife burst into tears. ( and I mean seriously crying) I’m trying to picture 46 sitting next to her yelling….”SNAP” and then picturing the wife’s husband justifying his actions in court. :mad:

andymays
07-23-2009, 08:04 AM
From everthing I've read and heard Bejarano came pretty close to dying if he gets kicked a little higher on his head.

JustRalph
07-23-2009, 08:27 AM

Classy as usual.......... :ThmbDown:

Pa, why oh why?

andymays
07-23-2009, 08:30 AM
From everthing I've read and heard Bejarano came pretty close to dying if he gets kicked a little higher on his head.

Update from Art Wilson:

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/sports/ci_12896226?source=rss

Excerpt:

According to Dr. Philip Sanderson, the physician who initially examined Bejarano in the track's first-aid station, the jockey suffered multiple facial fractures, including a broken jaw, nose and orbital bones.

He will be sidelined indefinitely after being admitted to Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla, where he was scheduled to spend the night.

He also might have suffered an injury in the area of his left shoulder.

Further X-rays were scheduled, according to Sanderson, who said there also is a strong possibility Bejarano will have to undergo surgery to repair the facial fractures.

46zilzal
07-23-2009, 11:00 AM
I would wager that I have attended more on track euthanasia sessions than any person here. The sound the bones usually make is as I described, although sesamoids tend to be quieter.

That "hallowed" surface, the one that is supposed to be racing's savior, is CRAP. That was the intent of reproducing the ACTUAL sound I have heard UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL many times.

Want me to try and change reality? Can't do that.

tucker6
07-23-2009, 11:23 AM
That "hallowed" surface, the one that is supposed to be racing's savior, is CRAP. That was the intent of reproducing the ACTUAL sound I have heard UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL many times.

Want me to try and change reality? Can't do that.
Do you believe you could have gotten that point across AND been more respectful of the horse's situation??

bigmack
07-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Prediction: Zilly will neither admit his callousness nor recognize that an 8 year old in poor form could have just as easily broken down had it been running on marshmallows. Dramatic effect to illustrate his contempt for the surface. It's all justified in the mind of Mr. 'Can't Change Reality'.

What a dolt.

ddog
07-23-2009, 12:51 PM
ah, the last post gets us to the real callousness in the sport does it not?

The amount of croc tears shed over horses such as this has always amazed me.

What DID YOU THINK WAS GOING TO HAPPEN?

coach_lowe
07-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Did the horse clip heels with Gomez's horse? If he did, then did the horse really "break down"?

RHANDIE
07-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Did the horse clip heels with Gomez's horse? If he did, then did the horse really "break down"?

The horse broke down and Raffie fell off, Gomez was on the horse directly behind the spill and he couldn't stop in time and his horse clipped Raffie in the head with a back foot. The horse Mi Rey most definately broke down.

coach_lowe
07-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks Rhandie. I watched it happen live, but I couldn't tell.

coach_lowe
07-23-2009, 02:06 PM
Just watched the :1: Inclusivity(a two year old) at AP in the first break down near the wire. Seems to happen in bunches.

andymays
07-23-2009, 03:35 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/105739.html

Excerpt:

DEL MAR, Calif. - Jockey Rafael Bejarano, injured in a terrifying accident at Del Mar on Wednesday, underwent surgery early Thursday morning on his fractured left cheek and jaw. It went so well that he could be back in action by the middle of Del Mar's meeting next month, his agent, Joe Ferrer, said Thursday morning.
"They repaired it at 2 a.m. last night," Ferrer said. "Once the swelling goes down, and the pain goes away, he'll be able to ride with a mask. As long as the pain goes away, he can ride with a mask to protect his face. Hopefully, he'll be back riding in two to three weeks."

PaceAdvantage
07-23-2009, 07:39 PM
That's pretty amazing. Glad to hear things are looking much better for Bejarano...

PaceAdvantage
07-23-2009, 07:40 PM
ah, the last post gets us to the real callousness in the sport does it not?

The amount of croc tears shed over horses such as this has always amazed me.

What DID YOU THINK WAS GOING TO HAPPEN?Hey, Mr. Sunshine, I really regret that I don't have the privilege in this life of hanging out with you in person....:lol:

andymays
07-23-2009, 07:43 PM
That's pretty amazing. Glad to hear things are looking much better for Bejarano...

In my opinion most Athletes seem to have a tendency to come back too soon after an injury. It seem that in most cases it's a mistake to rush an injury. I hope Bejarano makes the best decision for his career and not just the Del Mar meet!

JustRalph
07-23-2009, 07:46 PM
If he comes back in a month......... I will be surprised

DJofSD
07-23-2009, 07:46 PM
No fractional times posted during race on Dmr feed or TVG.

That's the norm for TVG but what track's in house feed is without fractional times?

“This isn't the gambling business. It isn't the restaurant business. This is the entertainment business,” Joe Harper, Del Mar's President and GM talking about horse racing at Del Mar
The in house broadcast and monitors had the splits. At least the races I watched had them.

DJofSD
07-23-2009, 08:04 PM
I would wager that I have attended more on track euthanasia sessions than any person here. The sound the bones usually make is as I described, although sesamoids tend to be quieter.

Want me to try and change reality? Can't do that.zz, I've seen horses suffer injuries and even break their own f'ng necks while in grass pastures. Horses do have a lot going against them and racing only exaggerates whatever flaws exist.

I think that "hallowed" surface was a con job and a quick fix for the lazy trainer. In a few more years once the selection process has had enough influence on what the breeders will produce, I think we'll see more horses with less bone density and more injuries as a result. A downward spiral.