PDA

View Full Version : Vintage horse racing blankets need help w/history?

WinterTriangle
07-22-2009, 02:42 AM
I came across some really interesting vintage race horse blankets at an auction.
all lettering is huge, of course:

The first one says St. Leger Purse, 1966
Across the bottom under that, very large it says Ruidoso Downs
Under that is a very nice logo of a horseshoe, w/jockey hat, whip entwined and inside the horseshoe it says Ruidoso Downs. Over to the side, there's a bottle, and it says Scotch.
The blanket is a bright turquoise.

The other one I don't know what to make of. It is a deep violet/burgundy, and it says in orangey/yellow big letters: Neidig's Tavern. Below that, more big letters Madison NEBR.

Can anyone help me identify these, if they went on certain horses, what the 2nd one might be, etc.?

Thank you!
I'm wondering if they have sentimental value to someone, you never know how these things end up where they do. These were here in Arkansas!

WinterTriangle
07-22-2009, 02:55 AM
I'm assuming the Madison NEBR is Madison Nebraska, home of the old Madison Downs? I found this page on it, neat. So this blanket would be pre-1970 since I believe they closed down the racing then?
So do you think Neidig's Tavern was the name of the horse who wore the blanket or what? I can't find anything on that.
http://www.madisoncountyfair.com/history.shtml

kenwoodallpromos
07-22-2009, 03:39 AM
My name is Bryce Neidig. I'm a farmer from Madison, Nebraska. Live just two miles north of Madison. I live in the house I was born in; the same house my father was born in. And my family has been in -- the farm has been in my immediate family for 106 years. My grand kids think I came with the place, but I didn't. I just -- that's to just establish some credibility at least. My son is a sixth generation, farming that same Madison County land. Our roots are tied deeply to agriculture. In addition, I happen to be at the present time President of the Nebraska Farm Bureau Federation, and we have -- and I have been deeply involved over the years in many trade issues. I at one time served as Chairman of the American Farm Bureau Trade Advisory Committee and have made a number of trips overseas and was with the Governor this past spring in April in traveling to Taiwan and Japan and also a trade mission to try to open markets for Nebraska agriculture products.

"Bryce Neidig
MADISON, NE 68748

Bryce Neidig
MADISON, NE 68748

Deborah Neidig
MADISON, NE 68748

Donald Neidig
MADISON, NE 68748

Neal Neidig
MADISON, NE 68748"

Yahoo! people search.

PaceAdvantage
07-22-2009, 12:36 PM
I removed the telephone numbers and addresses because I don't think that is appropriate.

That info can be gotten by going here and punching in some names:

http://people.yahoo.com/