PDA

View Full Version : Heaven help me

soupman2
07-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Not sure if this is in the right thread or not. I don't post much...I'm pretty much a lurker. Anyway, Rockingham Park (Salem, NH) is about 10 minutes from my house. They used to have flats, now it is harness for June, July and August. I don't really like harness for many reasons. I love thoroughbreds. But...and here is the kicker...I win at harness. Whether it is live during the summer at The Rock, or when I go there to have a cigar in the middle of winter and watch the simulcast races at night. Other than triple crown races, I lose. I may have a good day here and there but I just can't beat the thouroughbreds. On the other hand, when it comes to harness, (and I don't know a flippin thing about them, haven't read a single book- as opposed to the library I have on the flats.) I seem to come home a winner 8 out of 10 times. Now, I don't win a ton. I will win enough to pay for the day, food, programs and a few bucks (not a big fish anyway). I've been out on the deck and had a few adult beverages and a cigar after a day at the beach then the track. I guess I could have worse problems. I was at the Rock, Fri; Sat and briefly today. I tripled my origional bankroll (again I won't be able to buy a new or even used BMW with the profits). I guess the moral of this story is kind of being in love with an unatainable Hooters girl, and settling for the girl in the horn rim glasses who is just happy that someone paid attention to them and just so happens to like...well...adult entertainment.

Imriledup
07-19-2009, 11:36 PM
Not sure if this is in the right thread or not. I don't post much...I'm pretty much a lurker. Anyway, Rockingham Park (Salem, NH) is about 10 minutes from my house. They used to have flats, now it is harness for June, July and August. I don't really like harness for many reasons. I love thoroughbreds. But...and here is the kicker...I win at harness. Whether it is live during the summer at The Rock, or when I go there to have a cigar in the middle of winter and watch the simulcast races at night. Other than triple crown races, I lose. I may have a good day here and there but I just can't beat the thouroughbreds. On the other hand, when it comes to harness, (and I don't know a flippin thing about them, haven't read a single book- as opposed to the library I have on the flats.) I seem to come home a winner 8 out of 10 times. Now, I don't win a ton. I will win enough to pay for the day, food, programs and a few bucks (not a big fish anyway). I've been out on the deck and had a few adult beverages and a cigar after a day at the beach then the track. I guess I could have worse problems. I was at the Rock, Fri; Sat and briefly today. I tripled my origional bankroll (again I won't be able to buy a new or even used BMW with the profits). I guess the moral of this story is kind of being in love with an unatainable Hooters girl, and settling for the girl in the horn rim glasses who is just happy that someone paid attention to them and just so happens to like...well...adult entertainment.

Harness racing is a great sport. Smoke a cigar and keep cashing in!

Java Gold@TFT
07-20-2009, 03:43 AM
My wife likes the slots at the Saratoga Harness track so we go there about once a month. She sits downstairs for awhile while I go upstairs to watch the races (I've never put as much as a nickle into a slot machine and never will.) Anyway I print the pp's and look at them during the afternoon and pick out 1 or 2 horses in each race. The rest of my handicapping is purely visual. I watch the warmups, the post parade and the next warmups before the start. So far this year I have had one losing night. I mostly construct simple exacta or triple tickets based on the horses appearances and disregard the odds because the pools are so small. It's a fun distraction and keeps my eyesight sharp for when the "real" horses come back to Saratoga this month.

Keep going and enjoy the cigars that come with the profits.

dav4463
07-20-2009, 03:57 AM
I think maybe you put too much effort into the thoroughbreds. You know too much, you have too much information.

When you play harness, you stick to the basics. Try that with the thoroughbreds. Stick to basics and just pick your horses.

Sometimes, keeping it simple is better. If I don't have a good idea of how to bet a race after 5 minutes of looking at the pp's, then it is a race I probably should not play.

lamboguy
07-20-2009, 04:15 AM
if you remember far back when lou smith owned the place there were 40k people in the dead of the winter at the rock for harness. that was long before the meadowlands was a dream!

poor lou gotta rolling in his grave these days to see what became of his palace.

soupman2
07-20-2009, 08:15 AM
if you remember far back when lou smith owned the place there were 40k people in the dead of the winter at the rock for harness. that was long before the meadowlands was a dream!

poor lou gotta rolling in his grave these days to see what became of his palace.

I remember they had a little trolley to pick you up because you had to park so far from the entrance. One of the parking lots has become a mall. The rest is getting overrun with weeds.

They are holding on for just one thing...slots...but the knuckleheads in Concord keep voting against it. You know...you don't want gambling going on at a race track...those slot machines...they get a few people in trouble 'cause they spend their social security checks on gambling and don't buy food...In the meantime, buses leave every day in every city and town in Mass and NH loaded with people for a day trip to Mohegan Sun....

IntotheMystic
07-20-2009, 08:22 AM
I started playing the harness horses myself lately and like you soup, have done better then with the thoroughbreds... It's been a nice change up in the evenings here and there.

By the the way..Did anyone see "Well Said"s race Saturday night?

What a horse!

fmolf
07-20-2009, 02:34 PM
I started playing the harness horses myself lately and like you soup, have done better then with the thoroughbreds... It's been a nice change up in the evenings here and there.

By the the way..Did anyone see "Well Said"s race Saturday night?

What a horse!
i go to yonkers about once a month with my wife and a few other couples for the slots.I just play one of the first three favorites as long as they are in post 1-5....I play using the pp's as well as a look see at the warmups....i do this from the restaurant as i wager on thoroughbreds running at night as well...evangeline or mountaineer or meadowlands etc..etc... have had mixed results.Though i do like to watch the maneuvering during the races.I am a bit ahead for this year so,not enough to cover our expenses and the wifes losses..not even close!