PDA

View Full Version : Opening day DMR 2009

DJofSD
07-19-2009, 12:18 PM
For the first time in what seems to be a long time, the opening day feature, the Oceanside Stake, has not been split. It's a disappointment.

Is west coast racing in big touble or not?

andymays
07-19-2009, 01:08 PM
For the first time in what seems to be a long time, the opening day feature, the Oceanside Stake, has not been split. It's a disappointment.

Is west coast racing in big touble or not?

I was just up there this morning DJ. I was with a friend of mine who has a few horses with Barry Abrams. We went to the backside for about an hour and a half and then went up to the press box to watch a couple of them work. All Barry Abrams horses have been working well at Del Mar. We saw Mensa Heat work 58 flat and Golden Doc A worked 46 flat. Barry is expecting to have a good first couple of weeks at Del Mar.

One thing about the Del Mar surface is that it is fast in the morning and puffs up in the afternoon when it is much slower and favors closers.

And California Racing is in huge trouble from everything I see and hear!

dutchboy
07-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Bad article on DRF.com about a horse that broke down this morning and the long delay before anyone showed up to put the horse out of it's misery.

No horse ambulances at DMR yet. A trailer pulled by a tractor finally showed up. After the vet finally took care of business a winch was used to pull the horse in to the trailer.

DJofSD
07-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Andy, thanks for the report.

I was thinking about heading up there later today. I doubt I'd be able to get into the public areas but I'll try. I plan on taking some photographs before opening day. Did you happen to notice how far along are the preparations for opening day?

andymays
07-19-2009, 02:18 PM

I was thinking about heading up there later today. I doubt I'd be able to get into the public areas but I'll try. I plan on taking some photographs before opening day. Did you happen to notice how far along are the preparations for opening day?

There was very little security to stop anyone from going anywhere! We were in a section of the press box right next to the drf clockers when we watched the workouts.

Just saw the article on DRF.com

http://www.drf.com/news/article/105646.html

Excerpt:

"This is unreal," Steve Kenly, the owner of Mad for Plaid, said during the delay. "This is like the Dark Ages."

andymays
07-19-2009, 02:25 PM

It could be a little further along. To tell you the truth I didn't get a good feeling while we were there. Then I get home to see the DRF article.

andymays
07-19-2009, 03:30 PM
While I was at Del Mar this morning I was looking at the turns and noticed how flat they seem to be. I believe the turns were banked at around 6 degrees when they had dirt and now with the synthetic its probably two or three degrees of bank. It would seem to me that that would be tougher on a Horse trying to accelerate on the turns. Maybe someone here would know better?????

Tom
07-19-2009, 04:25 PM
They allow workouts without proper medical protection on site?
Is that normal?

andymays
07-19-2009, 04:32 PM
They allow workouts without proper medical protection on site?
Is that normal?

Nothing is normal about California racing these days.

DJofSD
07-19-2009, 04:51 PM
I don't know what are the rules that apply to the situation at Del Mar. The race meeting has not started yet. But yet, some kind of oversight and responsible party must exist. I would guess the same rules that would be used to operate a training facility would be the same that apply to DMR with the stabling and training that is going on there prior to opening day.

I know from prior experience in other equestrian discplines that if a rider or horse are injured during competition, all competition stops until the emergency vehicles and personnel are returned to the grounds.

andymays
07-19-2009, 04:55 PM
I don't know what are the rules that apply to the situation at Del Mar. The race meeting has not started yet. But yet, some kind of oversight and responsible party must exist. I would guess the same rules that would be used to operate a training facility would be the same that apply to DMR with the stabling and training that is going on there prior to opening day.

I know from prior experience in other equestrian discplines that if a rider or horse are injured during competition, all competition stops until the emergency vehicles and personnel are returned to the grounds.

I get the feeling that everyone's in a daze worrying about the future. The ultimate responsibility is with with Joe Harper (Del Mar President). As the Sicilians say "the fish stinks from it's head"! This wasn't the first day of training on the track so the neglect and incompetence has been going on since Tuesday!

andymays
07-20-2009, 12:28 PM
I sent this to the Horse Racing guy at the Union Tribune (Hank Wesch)

I looked in the sports section this morning and there was nothing about this. You must have missed it.

Considering that Del Mar went out of their way to let everyone know how concerned they were about the safety of the Animals when they installed synthetic surfaces this is astounding. The lack of security and safety since last Tuesday when they first started working on the track is amazing. Please read the article by the DRF. It’s a little inconvenient to print this stuff seeing as how opening day is a couple of days away but aren’t we supposed to be getting the news? Joe Harper is the guy in charge so he is responsible. He may have thought someone else was on top of it but he was sadly mistaken. He talks about pointing fingers in the article; he ought to look in the mirror.

Excerpt:

"There's no excuse for this," said Harper, who is at the track each morning. "Everybody's pointing fingers right now. We'll get everybody in a room and see where the fingers point. We want to make sure this doesn't take so long." :bang:

cj
07-20-2009, 04:34 PM
What an opening day card. Are they calling this the Fairplex at Delmar meet?

JeremyJet
07-20-2009, 04:40 PM
What an opening day card. Are they calling this the Fairplex at Delmar meet?

I'm sure you're looking forward to making figs for Del Mar, cj. ;)

The Polytrack there has a nasty reputation in regard to speed figure methodology.

Regards,

JeremyJet

cj
07-20-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm sure you're looking forward to making figs for Del Mar, cj. ;)

The Polytrack there has a nasty reputation in regard to speed figure methodology.

Regards,

JeremyJet

It can't be much worse than Arlington!

levinmpa
07-20-2009, 04:44 PM
While I was at Del Mar this morning I was looking at the turns and noticed how flat they seem to be. I believe the turns were banked at around 6 degrees when they had dirt and now with the synthetic its probably two or three degrees of bank. It would seem to me that that would be tougher on a Horse trying to accelerate on the turns. Maybe someone here would know better?????

I have heard Bruno DeJulio comment many times on the radio about the flat turns. When they put in the Polytrack, they removed the banking. It's very tough on horses rallying wide on the turn. Horses that stay close to the rail on the turn, and then swing wide entering the stretch seem to have the best chance.

CJ. Last year, the Oceanside was split into 3 divisions if I recall correctly. Very disappointing.

JeremyJet
07-20-2009, 04:46 PM
It can't be much worse than Arlington!

Interesting. I've probably made one bet at Arlington since the switch to Polytrack, so I wouldn't know. And I live a few miles from the track. Sad situation.

Regards,

JeremyJet

cj
07-20-2009, 04:47 PM
I have heard Bruno DeJulio comment many times on the radio about the flat turns. When they put in the Polytrack, they removed the banking. It's very tough on horses rallying wide on the turn. Horses that stay close to the rail on the turn, and then swing wide entering the stretch seem to have the best chance.

CJ. Last year, the Oceanside was split into 3 divisions if I recall correctly. Very disappointing.

A friend pointed out to me that two races didn't fill for opening day, both turf races. How sad is that?

andymays
07-20-2009, 05:04 PM
I sent this to the Horse Racing guy at the Union Tribune (Hank Wesch)

I looked in the sports section this morning and there was nothing about this. You must have missed it.

Considering that Del Mar went out of their way to let everyone know how concerned they were about the safety of the Animals when they installed synthetic surfaces this is astounding. The lack of security and safety since last Tuesday when they first started working on the track is amazing. Please read the article by the DRF. It’s a little inconvenient to print this stuff seeing as how opening day is a couple of days away but aren’t we supposed to be getting the news? Joe Harper is the guy in charge so he is responsible. He may have thought someone else was on top of it but he was sadly mistaken. He talks about pointing fingers in the article; he ought to look in the mirror.

Excerpt:

"There's no excuse for this," said Harper, who is at the track each morning. "Everybody's pointing fingers right now. We'll get everybody in a room and see where the fingers point. We want to make sure this doesn't take so long." :bang:

Hank Wesch finally put up a story about it at 1:00 pm pst.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jul/20/bn20delmar-fatality/?sports/horseracing&zIndex=135115

rwwupl
07-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Thanks Andy ,

for posting additional information on this story. I missed the Union Tribune version.

I think we are in for an interesting season.

freehouse2002
07-20-2009, 07:17 PM
At least we have full fields for a day :bang:

freehouse2002

Imriledup
07-20-2009, 08:05 PM
I'll never understand why california mandated DMR to have synthetic tracks. It totally ruined a great race meet, now its looked upon as a joke. They'll go back to dirt if we just don't bet this place and voice our opinions to management that we don't want random results. Just say no to Plastic tracks.

IntotheMystic
07-20-2009, 10:04 PM
Nothing is normal about California racing these days.

Boy! Is'nt that the truth!

pandy
07-20-2009, 10:28 PM

Brad Free had a good report yesterday, and yes, you are correct, the turns are not banked as much as they used to be. This will help the inside posts. They are also going to try a different piece of equipment to drag the surface this summer to try to keep it from getting so spongy and deep.

andymays
07-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Brad Free had a good report yesterday, and yes, you are correct, the turns are not banked as much as they used to be. This will help the inside posts. They are also going to try a different piece of equipment to drag the surface this summer to try to keep it from getting so spongy and deep.

Thanks for the info Pandy!

He walked by the barn while I was there. I don't go to the Track much anymore so it's kind of strange to see all these people that you normally see in a newspaper!

I think the reason the turns aren't banked as much is that the surface is supposed (designed) to be much slower than dirt and as such the turns don't need to be banked as much. But when the track is deep and slow people hate it so they try to get it a little faster but when it's faster you need a 6 degree bank. At least I think that's the theory!

As far as the new equipment to drag the surface I think we are past the point of perfecting synthetic surfaces. They simply don't work in California because of the usage and the fact that every 3 months it costs close to 100k to condition these surfaces so they don't wear out!

pandy
07-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Interesting. I've probably made one bet at Arlington since the switch to Polytrack, so I wouldn't know. And I live a few miles from the track. Sad situation.

Regards,

JeremyJet

I've done very well at Arlington with Poly, I think it's one of the best betting tracks in the country.

cj
07-20-2009, 11:19 PM
I've done very well at Arlington with Poly, I think it's one of the best betting tracks in the country.

I wasn't saying you can't bet it, but it is very tough to make figures for lately. I spend three times as much time on a typical Arlington Park card as I do on the average track.

RockHardTen1985
07-21-2009, 12:53 AM
The first 3 cards at Del Mar are a joke. Wed-Fri is pathetic. I hope it gets better out there.

Grits
07-21-2009, 12:33 PM
The first 3 cards at Del Mar are a joke. Wed-Fri is pathetic. I hope it gets better out there.

If one is trackside, and not pleased with the quality of the Opening Day card this year, as is the custom at DelMar every year, one (you gentlemen, certainly) can always enjoy the dazzling parade of ladie's hats and the decolletage that accompany them.

A friend, who goes each year, usually sends me a link to a slideshow that's published either in the San Diego local news edition, or on DelMar's site. Can't remember which. For you gentlemen, there are always a few stunners, no doubt.

Beauty's beauty and is appreciated by all. Anytime.;)

ddog
07-21-2009, 02:05 PM
All of major Cal racing, DMR included sadly, is a joke other than a few big days a year.

Very sad to see the fall of topflight RACING there.

ddog
07-21-2009, 02:06 PM

the first couple of weeks of Delmar used to be the BEST betting of the year in Cal.

I don't hold much hope for better down the road. :(

ddog
07-21-2009, 02:08 PM

:ThmbUp:

Bruddah
07-21-2009, 03:07 PM
I'll never understand why california mandated DMR to have synthetic tracks. It totally ruined a great race meet, now its looked upon as a joke. They'll go back to dirt if we just don't bet this place and voice our opinions to management that we don't want random results. Just say no to Plastic tracks.

You are 110% correct. The only way an average fan/handicapper will have a say in this is to vote no, to wagering at these tracks. We as a group fail to realize they will only pay attention to us is when we stop betting. It's sad but true. My one vote means nothing to them and will not change a thing, but a no vote by thousands of us will Rock the House. If we would do it just one time in unison it would show we mean business. Otherwise, they will continue to ignore us. :bang:

andymays
07-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Race Programs for Del Mar are up:

http://www.dmtc.com/racinginfo/programs/

The one thing they do a good job on is their website in my opinion!

levinmpa
07-21-2009, 03:11 PM
I have boycotted Polytracks since the inception. I have wagered on Cushion and ProRide, but not Poly. I hate Polytrack.

rrbauer
07-21-2009, 03:17 PM
At least we have full fields for a day :bang:

freehouse2002

Six entered in the 2nd. A maiden race.

andymays
07-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Track Maintenance could be a big deal when they dump the water on it!

Select a Day: 07/22/200907/21/200907/20/200907/17/2009
DATE TIME ACTIVITY TEMP DETAILS
07/21/2009 7:00PM - 8:00PM Cultivator n/a (1) Cultivator set to 3 inches, groom from inside to outside rail
07/21/2009 8:00PM - 9:00PM Gallop Master n/a (5) Gallop Masters set to racing depth (2 5/8 inches) groom from inside to outside rail
07/22/2009 4:30AM - 7:00AM Training n/a Horses on Polytrack
07/22/2009 7:30AM - 8:00AM Gallop Master n/a (5) Gallop Masters set to racing depth (2 5/8 inches) groom from inside to outside rail
07/22/2009 8:00AM - 10:00AM Training n/a Horses on Polytrack
07/22/2009 10:00AM - 10:30AM Gallop Master n/a (5) Gallop Masters set to racing depth (2 5/8 inches) groom from inside to outside rail
07/22/2009 10:30AM - 11:00AM Cultivator n/a (1) Cultivator set to 3 incles, groom from inside to outside rail
07/22/2009 11:15AM - 11:45AM Gallop Master n/a (5) Gallop Masters set to racing depth (2 5/8 inches) groom from inside to outside rail
07/22/2009 11:45AM - 12:30PM Water n/a 3 Loads of Water
07/22/2009 1:00PM Air Temp 84 n/a
07/22/2009 1:30PM Track Temp 91 at four inch depth

46zilzal
07-22-2009, 06:39 PM
I have boycotted Polytracks since the inception. I have wagered on Cushion and ProRide, but not Poly. I hate Polytrack.
WOODBINE is the exception: It is not too different than it was BEFORE the change

PaceAdvantage
07-22-2009, 07:01 PM
WOODBINE is the exception: It is not too different than it was BEFORE the changeIf I'm not mistaken, it's CUE CJ time....

BlueShoe
07-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Nice start to the plastic meet.Ugly spill in the 3rd,a rider in the hospital(Bejarano) and most likely a horse had to be put down.

cj
07-22-2009, 07:32 PM
If I'm not mistaken, it's CUE CJ time....

Well, if you insist.

Average winning pace times before poly at Woobine at the five most commonly run distances:

5.0 46.36 59.05 0.2183 195
6.0 46.10 71.94 0.2183 812
6.5 46.13 78.48 0.2168 294
7.0 46.21 85.04 0.2232 628
8.5 72.96 106.00 0.1387 738

Now, the average winning pace times at Woodbine on rubber:

5.0 46.39 59.05 0.2181 207
6.0 46.33 71.94 0.2174 787
6.5 46.46 78.48 0.2154 353
7.0 46.73 85.04 0.2210 548
8.5 73.84 106.00 0.1377 726

The first number is furlongs, then average winning pace time, base winning final time, ignore the 4th, and the 5th is the number of races used in the study. Clearly, as the races get longer, horses are running slower and slower early on polytrack, even at Woodbine.

5.0: 0.03
6.0: 0.23
6.5: 0.33
7.0: 0.52
8.5: 0.88

That is energy based, or median, or whatever you want to call it. There is a similar change in positional tendencies as well.

Sorry if it bugs you I always reply, but I refuse to let people just make stuff up when I have facts that show otherwise.

PaceAdvantage
07-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Sorry if it bugs you I always reply, but I refuse to let people just make stuff up when I have facts that show otherwise.To quote the great toetoe (the man, not the band)....Shirley you Jest!

Bugs me!?!?! I look FOWARD to it...:lol:

andymays
07-22-2009, 07:48 PM
TVG interviewed the former Miss California, Carrie Prejean!

Looked hot! :ThmbUp:

andymays
07-22-2009, 07:51 PM
From Del Mar press box:

Jockey Rafael Bejarano, one of the nation's leading riders, was taken by ambulance to Scripps Hospital in La Jolla for precautionary x-rays after he was unseated in the stretch run of the third race on opening-day of the 2009 Del Mar racing season.

Areas of concern for Bejarano were his left clavicle and the left side of his jaw, according to medical personnel who examined him in the track first aid station.

Mi Rey sustained a catastrophic injury to his right front leg, necessitating the horse being humanely euthanized.

Rocklane
07-22-2009, 08:04 PM
If one is trackside, and not pleased with the quality of the Opening Day card this year, as is the custom at DelMar every year, one (you gentlemen, certainly) can always enjoy the dazzling parade of ladie's hats and the decolletage that accompany them.

A friend, who goes each year, usually sends me a link to a slideshow that's published either in the San Diego local news edition, or on DelMar's site. Can't remember which. For you gentlemen, there are always a few stunners, no doubt.

Beauty's beauty and is appreciated by all. Anytime.;)

Decolletage. Nice adjective you coltish southern belle. :ThmbUp:

cj
07-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Decolletage. Nice adjective you coltish southern belle. :ThmbUp:

It is a noun. :)

Rocklane
07-22-2009, 08:14 PM

Good catch. My bad. :ThmbUp:

bigmack
07-22-2009, 08:18 PM
We'll call one an adjective and the other a noun.

http://www.thegmanifesto.com/uploaded_images/openingday2-709132.jpg

Rocklane
07-22-2009, 08:24 PM

I heard the hats were on par with The KY Derby....and well sir, you have without a doubt, proven that theory. :)

cj
07-22-2009, 08:38 PM
I heard the hats were on par with The KY Derby....and well sir, you have without a doubt, proven that theory. :)

I didn't notice a hat.

coach_lowe
07-22-2009, 08:43 PM

.....and the bags aren't bad either.;)

Tom
07-22-2009, 09:08 PM

I'm thinking of a couple of verbs myself! :eek::eek:

DJofSD
07-22-2009, 09:30 PM
I would say the DMR surface is playing fairly.

And it seemed like the people kept pouring in throughout the day.

Not as many flowers scattered throught the facility compared to even last year. No live music playing in the plaza on the clubhouse side. Heck, there seemed to be even fewer benches in areas throughout the club house. Now what's up with that?

KingChas
07-24-2009, 01:03 AM

Hey Bigmack, they are having some pretty spicy payouts at Del Mar!
The forgotten bet in horseracing-the daily double. :kiss: :D

Joey D
07-24-2009, 08:56 AM
Boutros Boutros GOLLY!!!

andymays
07-24-2009, 09:09 AM
Boutros Boutros GOLLY!!!

Best 16th post evah Joey D! :ThmbUp: :D

bigmack
07-25-2009, 02:30 PM
iffGTvroyBc

I'll take a wild guess and say the gesture used for 'take a train' is because a train goes "ChooChoo" :rolleyes:

DJofSD
07-25-2009, 02:37 PM
iffGTvroyBc

I'll take a wild guess and say the gesture used for 'take a train' is because a train goes "ChooChoo" :rolleyes:OMG, mackie, that was one of the most terrible renditions of our national anthem ever. She must have had the tempo of a funeral dirge and not enough umpf in her pipes to make it a capella. Del Mar did better by having the bag pipes.

DJofSD
07-28-2009, 08:02 PM
http://albums.signonsandiego.com/Entertainment/2009/DEL-MAR-hats_7-22/