PDA

View Full Version : *%*^$&$* inquiries! a.k.a. how to spoil a nice day at the races!

anotherdave
05-11-2003, 09:32 PM
So my prime bet (I hit this one hard) for the day was a horse called Lilsisterlightning in the 8th at Hastings (Vancouver, B.C.). a $40000 stakes race. As he took the lead just leaving the backstretch two horses were making their moves together. Elana D'amour (the eventual winner) came out from the rail and hit the other (Secondary School) very hard (even looked back!) causing it to take up sharply and lose all momentum. My horse held on well for second behind the one that had caused the clear interference. Up went the enquiry sign as well as a jocks enquiry. Although it would have been fortunate for me (because he wasn't the best horse) I was fairly certain they'd take the winner down (especially after watching all the replays of the infraction). A long wait and they let the result stand. Here's what the chart said:

The winner(3-1):ELANA D'AMOUR up close on the inside, came off the rail early on the backstretch causing SECONDARY SCHOOL to be taken up, gained the lead from the outside before mid stretch and drew clear ridden out.

The horse that was bumped(4-1):SECONDARY SCHOOL in the middle of the pack, taken up and steadied when ELANA D'AMOUR came off the rail on the backstretch, rallied four wide down the stretch.

Note that Secondary School was 5th at the 1/4 pole, fell back to 7th and came on to be 4th 6 lengths behind the winner.

Now here's the comment about the infraction:
Following the race there was a stewards enquiry and a riders claim of foul. The rider aboard SECONDARY SCHOOL claimed foul against the rider of ELANA D'AMOUR for interference approaching the three eighths pole. After review it was deemed by the stewards that the incident did not cost SECONDARY SCHOOL a placing and was therefore disallowed. The result was left to stand.

So they say it was interference but didn't matter. Let's see he bumped hard the horse was right beside him who lost 2 placings and momentum then came back on and came 4th. How do they know it didn't cause him a placing? I think he might even have won.

Link to chart:
http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant.cgi?type=inc&country=CAN&track=HST&date=2003-05-11#R8

Does this make any sense to you? It really cost me a lot and I've been on the other end of it more than I care to remember. I'm ready to start playing Bingo if this crap doesn't stop.

AD

cj
05-11-2003, 09:38 PM
I still believe in letting all results stand as is for payoffs, let the other stuff be decided later and purse money distributed accordingly. Eliminates BS like the above.

CJ

hurrikane
05-11-2003, 09:41 PM
let it go dave...rub of the green.

anotherdave
05-11-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
I still believe in letting all results stand as is for payoffs, let the other stuff be decided later and purse money distributed accordingly. Eliminates BS like the above.

CJ

Sounds like WWF wrestling to me. Why not hit the other jock over the head with a chair (or whip) when the ref (steward) isn't looking.

But cj your point is well taken, but that's not the way they do it. I will play by your rules if they were the rules. I just don't know the rules. I've been on the other end of something very similar and lived with it - hey that's the rules.

It would be easier your way, then I think I'd live with it. But based on the current rules, does this seem fair? If Funny Cide had slammed into Peace Rules caused him to take up and lose momentum and then Peace Rules still manages 3rd, BASED ON THE CURRENT RULES would you have taken Funny Cide down and let Empire Maker win?

cj
05-11-2003, 10:02 PM
I totally agree Dave, that's why I hate anytime the Inquiry light goes on, you have no idea what those clowns are going to say. And anyone really believe most of them don't bet? I'll sell you some land in Iraq. At least my way, you know.

There would be no WWF (I hope), you still have fines, suspensions, etc. Not to mention losing mounts from unhappy owners and trainers.

As usual in racing, no uniformity is bad for the game. Be it drug rules, DQ rules, colored saddle clothes, loading in the gate one or two at a time, payoff posting in either $1 or $2...I could make this list so long it would have to carry over to another post.

For now, I just shake my head and hope it will all even out by the time I'm gone.

CJ