PDA

View Full Version : Jockeys make horses run faster

fmhealth
07-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Well at least according to this NYT article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/17/sports/17racing.html?_r=1&hpw

Cangamble
07-16-2009, 07:20 PM
That article should really say that some jockeys make horses run faster than other horses.
How many times do horses that unseat their rider at the start outrun the field?
Lots and lots.
You tell me to run with a 20 pound jacket on versus no jacket at all, and I don't care how flexible the jacket is, I'm going to run slower. Even if the jacket gives me a shock during the last 50 feet, I'm better off without the jacket.

sobrenatural
07-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Weight is overrated when it comes to capping races records have been accomplished with horses carrying a tremendous amount of weighrt.Dr.Fager,The Bid,Phone Trick,Kelso,Forego,Cigar,Etc,,my point is if the horse is in top form or has back class it wont make a difference.Rachel Alexandra could have carried 150 in the mother goose and still would have won .The fall highweight stakes they carried 128,131,134,135 and they still run fast.I never factor weight when i cap a race.

Greyfox
07-16-2009, 08:23 PM
A horse can only run as fast as it can run, period.
A jockey cannot make a horse run faster.
A poor jockey with poor hands and balance takes energy out of the horse needlessly resulting in a slower trip.
A good rider with better balance and hands gets maximum optimal performance, or a more energy efficient ride, and the horse runs faster under him/her.

Cangamble
07-16-2009, 09:18 PM
That article should really say that some jockeys make horses run faster than other horses.
Lots and lots.
You tell me to run with a 20 pound jacket on versus no jacket at all, and I don't care how flexible the jacket is, I'm going to run slower. Even if the jacket gives me a shock during the last 50 feet, I'm better off without the jacket.
That should read, some jockeys make horses run faster than other jockeys do.

kenwoodallpromos
07-16-2009, 10:00 PM
"According to the study, the drop in times is greater from 1897 to 1910 — as “sitting chilly” became the norm — than the 1 percent drop in times over the 100 years that followed"
This "news" is 99 years old!!
My study of track records indicates that jockeys stopped usiong the "new" style in 1991!LOL!!

bigmack
07-16-2009, 10:14 PM
http://www.jasonlove.com/cartoons/00187-daily-cartoons-horse-jockey.gif

KingChas
07-16-2009, 11:42 PM
A horse can only run as fast as it can run, period.
A jockey cannot make a horse run faster.

Depends on the size of the battery,"AAA","AA" or "9-Volt". :eek: :lol:

Robert Fischer
07-17-2009, 12:16 AM
Well at least according to this NYT article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/17/sports/17racing.html?_r=1&hpw

this actually ties in pretty nicely to some of the side discussion in the recent "Weight" thread about deadweight vs. a jockey.

now they take it a step farther to claim that technique of the jockey affects the horses ability to support the weight of the jockey.

smartybadger
07-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Lots and lots.

Which makes it more absurd that Sports Center would air a replay of that type of thing happening at Belmont Park a few weeks ago. They think its some amazing and rare accomplishment that a horse carrying almost no weight can beat horses carrying 119 pounds.

eastie
07-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Depends on the size of the battery,"AAA","AA" or "9-Volt". :eek: :lol:

how does this make them run faster ? it should make the horse throw the rider , no ?

46zilzal
07-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Strange I can't tell you how often after a rider is thrown from his mount that that horse usually runs faster than the winner sans 115 pounds too

thelyingthief
07-17-2009, 03:14 PM
i once saw a jockey dismount and push his horse home. they arrested him for bestiality, or some such.

tlt-