PDA

View Full Version : Paulick Report: Hey, States . . . . take a hike.

Grits
07-16-2009, 04:59 PM
In the same vein of the other two threads posted, there's more on the problems of state's governing horseracing.

With all of the entities, state to state, in charge of racing, making rules, governing as they go--why would this game grow? Why would one want to continue to wager on a sport being strangled with rules that vary nationwide?

Irwin speaks in a guest commentary at the Paulick Report:

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/hey-statestake-a-hike/

slewis
07-16-2009, 06:01 PM
I sat several seats from Mr. Irwin at the 2008 Kentucky Derby.

Maybe someone should start by explaining to Mr. Irwin that states have and will always have the ability to regulate all forms of gambling in their respective states.

Then he makes a point about Rick Dutrow's legal Due Process as an American Citizen.
If only the stewards were to have absolute power trainers with reputations for cheating would get huge suspensions while others would get slapped on the wrists.

My favorite Dutrow story is when he got fined I believe $25,000 for contacting an assistant while on suspension.
They subpona'd Dutrow's cell phone records.
Todd Pletcher was serving a suspension after dragging numerous appeals through the court system.
Todd has hunderds of horses at various tracks throughout the US.

WOULD ANYONE..ANYONE INCL. MR. IRWIN...or ANYONE ON PACE ADVANTAGE OR ON THE PLANET MARS...LIKE TO BET ME THAT Mr. PLETCHER WAS IN CONTACT VIA TELEPHONE WITH ASSISTANTS?
Anyone want to bet?????

Because the stewards are not law enforcement, lawyers or judges, they are not qualified to act as such. Their actions are often ARBITRARY AND CAPRICIOUS... as evident by the example Ive given above.

Mr Irwin, concentrate on your partnership...

Indulto
07-17-2009, 06:28 AM
Grits,
Thanks for the link. I thought I'd share my response here so that some of my political opposition can tell me what's wrong with the idea: Indulto Says:
July 17th, 2009 at 5:00 am (http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/hey-statestake-a-hike/comment-page-1/#comment-14991)
Mr. Irwin,
Another of your insightful and entertaining opinion pieces and usual good read. The way I interpreted it, you’re proposing that racing should become the Sport of Benevolent Despots rather than Malevolent Politicians. Well, that does have a certain appeal, but what evidence suggests that our current home-grown racing despots were, are, or ever will be benevolent?

Good luck trying to sell the idea that moneyed interests can be counted on to do what’s right for the greater good in the wake of the current financial meltdown. Unbridled capitalism combined with unrestricted power hardly seems a promising starting point from which to resurrect racing.

Central authority? Definitely. Uniform rules of racing with uniform enforcement at every venue can only be imposed; not negotiated. Short of revolution, it will take Federal oversight to make that happen. How about you and Mr. Paulick running for appointment to a seven-member advisory board for a new U.S. Racing Commissioner’s Office that reports to a presidential cabinet member?

Said office should be empowered by the IHA which should also give the residents of all states the equal right to watch and wager on-line on races conducted at any venue in any state. The board would initially serve as a search committee for the first Racing Commissioner. I also nominate Messrs. Nicholson, Duncker, Moss, Crist, and Dahlman. I would begin the search with former Gen. Colin Powell.