PDA

View Full Version : assiniboia downs comedy

cj
07-14-2009, 11:34 PM
This is currently still posted on the home page, right at the top:

Live racing tonight--rain or no rain!
The track is primarily sand, with good drainage, so there is no problem racing under wet conditions. In fact, some horses have a love of wet surfaces in their breeding! Those horses are call "mudders."

So, I can't find results anywhere, but found they did in fact cancel. At least I think they did. Here is the track news page:

Dear Race Fans;

We would like to explain our rationale behind the decision to cancel our races on Tuesday, July 24.

First and foremost, our apologies for the inconvenience that was caused to you and your plans for the evening.

The reason that the cancellation was not released until mid afternoon was to allow for the ability to access the most current weather forecasts for the evening. In fairness to all affected parties ( patrons, horse owners, trainers, jockeys, Assiniboia Downs, etc.) we do not take the decision to cancel lightly and therefore do not make a decision in haste.

We contacted environment Canada early in the morning to get an initial detailed forecast, specifically as it related to the estimated temperature and humidex rating for the evening race card.

The initial results were at a level that required serious consideration to cancellation to be humane to the horses and jockeys...

The confusing part is isn't today the 14th? Did they really take the decision to cancel on the 24th that seriously?

Track Collector
07-15-2009, 12:44 AM
Crazy perhaps, but it was a nice little track when I visited there about 10 years ago. I recall someone telling me that the oval was not built to the specified measurements, and it was only discovered after the initial week of racing when winning times were way off from expected values. The oval size is 6.5f???

Maybe it's a metric thing!;)

CBedo
07-15-2009, 01:26 AM
I was trying to figure out what was going on there this afternoon as well. I actually had a horse there that I was looking forward to making a bet on (I've never said that before--waiting for an ASD horse?) haha!

Sid
07-15-2009, 07:13 AM
We contacted environment Canada early in the morning to get an initial detailed forecast, specifically as it related to the estimated temperature and humidex rating for the evening race card.

The initial results were at a level that required serious consideration to cancellation to be humane to the horses and jockeys...
Doesn't sound like it had anything to do with the racing surface.

Cangamble
07-15-2009, 10:56 AM
When this blog posts today, we might find something out:
http://bettor.assiniboiadowns.com/

jballscalls
07-15-2009, 10:58 AM
i love how on their graphics they just put ASD now, because they know nobody can read or pronounce the tracks name

Otis11
07-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Had nothing to do last night so I decided to play ASD. Sure I could have gone to MTR but ASD offers free video.

Started watching 30 minutes to post time. The rain was coming down in sheets. The paddock reporter was getting blasted and there was plenty of lightning and thunder. First post was delayed for 30 minutes. When they came back the weather had not changed. That's when they announced the cancellation.

:11:

Cangamble
07-15-2009, 11:33 AM
People, it is OK to admit that you don't mind playing Assiniboia.....as long as you are getting a rebate that is. They have the worst collective track takeout in North America.

macguy
07-15-2009, 12:09 PM
I find it hard to play AsD.

Seems you can't even bet $50 in the straight pool without moving the odds.

cj
07-15-2009, 12:12 PM
I understand it had nothing to do with the surface. The funny thing was the web site still said they would run, rain or shine, right at the top even after they canceled. Then, in the notice, they couldn't even get the date right.