PDA

View Full Version : The Churn

senortout
07-14-2009, 01:20 PM
The Churn, racings least discussed phenomenon.

Question, what's the least amount of money you started with and couldn't build into a 'tidy sum', yet turned it over the most times?

For example, I had to restock my Twinspires account last month. I put in $25 and I have wagered nearly $600 in small bets with it, and nearly a month has passed by.

I do know that when I used to go to the track, I never kept track of this sort of thing, but its interesting nevertheless.

I have thirty some dollars and counting, five more days and its a month since I added those funds.

I know, its like 'kissin yer sister' but it keeps me in the game.

senortout

andymays
07-14-2009, 02:16 PM

Question, what's the least amount of money you started with and couldn't build into a 'tidy sum', yet turned it over the most times?

For example, I had to restock my Twinspires account last month. I put in $25 and I have wagered nearly $600 in small bets with it, and nearly a month has passed by.

I do know that when I used to go to the track, I never kept track of this sort of thing, but its interesting nevertheless.

I have thirty some dollars and counting, five more days and its a month since I added those funds.

senortout

The more we talk about churn the more it goes back to the take. 5% less take would make a lot more players winners at the end of the year. The more you churn the more you realize how much a high takeout hurts!

senortout
07-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Andymays, Too funny, I just got done checking that very same thing.

DeanT
07-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Rolling over your bankroll 25 times and having positive ROI is a good sign Senor. I know the sample is not big enough, however, you are probably a prime example of what lower take can do. Those numbers can cause you to churn a huge amount with only a little bump. I know I have popped this up before, but a small player can bet quite a bit of money if given a takeout break. Here is one example which is not much different than yours, however the main difference is that this smaller player has gotten a lower take.

http://blog.horseplayersassociation.org/2008/07/churn.html

And another on a 0.9X ROI player, which seems to be in your wheelhouse, who can bet more with churn.

http://blog.horseplayersassociation.org/2008/07/opinion-low-takeouts-are-our-friend.html

Your post is cool as well to show that you are getting value from free PP's because you are betting those tracks through an adw which is lowering your cost to bet through those free PP's. If you had to purchase them, you would have bet less, or had less of a bankroll to start with.

Anyway, interesting post that, imo, proves that so called 'smaller bettors' can bet more with a push, whether it comes from lowering takeout, or lowering cost of information, just like the big guys do.

lamboguy
07-14-2009, 02:49 PM

senortoutwe are all very proud of you, keep up the good work.

i have bet with the same place for the last 18 months and have never had a winning week, and have never made a deposit for those 18 months, and i must have churned my account about 400 times.

senortout
07-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the kind words, and have a question for Lamboguy...You've stated you've never had a winning week yet have churned you balance many many times, just how is that possible...I know I have overlooked something(like, you started your account with a whole lot more than me, and its just grinding down, but ever, ever so slowly?)
senortout

kenwoodallpromos
07-14-2009, 03:27 PM
who cares
If you are asking rhetorically, not me; If you are asking for an answer, Me!
I always want to turn over as many times as possible until I ever build it up big! My problem is I use most winnings to further experiment with my newly invented angles!!
But I have an interest in how much of that $15 billion is recycled money the same day; with tracks who knows unless the money is marked; online the info is there and probably accessable.
Sobrenatural, I'll catch up to you when you start a thead!

Cangamble
07-14-2009, 03:31 PM
I've found that with a 7% rebate, I usually bet 3 to 4 times as much over any period of time (say monthly) than I do without any rebate.

lamboguy
07-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the kind words, and have a question for Lamboguy...You've stated you've never had a winning week yet have churned you balance many many times, just how is that possible...I know I have overlooked something(like, you started your account with a whole lot more than me, and its just grinding down, but ever, ever so slowly?)
senortoutcongamble beat me to the answer

Cangamble
07-14-2009, 03:52 PM
congamble beat me to the answer
cOngamble? What exactly are you trying to say about me?

senortout
07-14-2009, 03:55 PM
ok, twinspires has a teeny, tiny rebate of sorts, 2 points per $1 wagered, (4 pts per $1 wagered at Churchill Downs and CD owned tracks) with 10,000 pts earning $10.00 added to your wagering account. So, averaging(3 pts) 'cause I mix up my tracks wagered at as much as the next guy, this works out to this......

$333.33 dollars wagered = 1,000 pts
$3,333 dollars wagered= $10.00 or
$10.00/3,333=0.3% rebate

which ain't a whole lot, but I'll take it

and yes, a lower takeout may indeed make me 'well' and encourage a slight increase in the size of my wagers, all other things being equal of course...

senortout

senortout
07-14-2009, 05:36 PM
krikeeees...............just got 5.60 to show on a 2-1 shot at Prairie Meadows, just switched my wagering there from Delaware, won't bet the last at Delaware, (arabians)......back to the 3rd at Prairie...there was a 6/5 shot with 67.9 % of the show pool...this I would've reported on the proper thread had I had time..........

senortout