PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about the Sartin Methodology

jeebus1083
07-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Both questions are related somewhat, but serve different functions within the Sartin methodology:

Question #1: When rating a sprint to a route, do you use the $10k par times for making that adjustment, or do you use the par times for the class of today's race that you are rating?

Question #2: When making track-to-track comparisons, do you use the $10k par times or the par times for the class of today's race?

Me and a friend have different opinions. I'm insistent that we have to use the $10k par for both, yet he thinks that we have to use the par for today's race.

Who is right?

Tom
07-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Sartin did not endorse using any par times.
Some teaching members (Brohamer,Smock) did use them, though.

The methodology today, as it evolved, uses TrackMaster track to track and variants in advanced programs.

Personally, I have found using the 10K pars adequate for both cases you mention. I used the TPR concept for a long time, adjsuting the EPR and LPR both. This proved very profitable for shippers from the Medwlands back in the day, and from Finger Lakes, to the inner track at Aqu.

You must remember, though, just because you can adjust a race doesn't mean you can adjust the horse to like it.

jeebus1083
07-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Some teaching members (Brohamer,Smock) did use them, though.

The methodology today, as it evolved, uses TrackMaster track to track and variants in advanced programs.

Personally, I have found using the 10K pars adequate for both cases you mention. I used the TPR concept for a long time, adjsuting the EPR and LPR both. This proved very profitable for shippers from the Medwlands back in the day, and from Finger Lakes, to the inner track at Aqu.

You must remember, though, just because you can adjust a race doesn't mean you can adjust the horse to like it.

Thanks, Tom. I've been tinkering with spreadsheets for over 7 months now, a lot of it through Raybo's guidance. I've learned enough to start doing stuff on my own. I've finally got stuff down to a point where I can use the Sartin Method the right way instead of just using raw times.

Dave Schwartz
07-14-2009, 02:44 PM

Tom,

Actually, that is not exactly true.

He resisted par times.

I was invited to speak at the Sartin Seminar in Las Vegas in 1991, with the purposes of discussing two topics: Money Management and Par Times. Howard even permitted me to sell my Par Times at that seminar - as I recall, we signed up about 75 new customers.

To this day Tom Brohamer and Jim Quinn still send me customers when they do seminars.

Regards,
Dave SChwartz

proximity
07-14-2009, 06:44 PM
i believe that sartin once attempted to ask a horse itself about par times.

legend has it that the horse attacked him!!:)

Track Collector
07-15-2009, 12:50 AM
i believe that sartin once attempted to ask a horse itself about par times.

legend has it that the horse attacked him!!:)

Must have been Zippy Chippy, who never found a par (or a winner's circle) he liked. :)

Red Knave
07-15-2009, 03:40 PM
Question #1: When rating a sprint to a route, do you use the $10k par times for making that adjustment, or do you use the par times for the class of today's race that you are rating?I remember going through the exercise of looking at other horses at this track/class that had done the sprint-route or route-sprint and computed their internal fractions to find out what times each of them averaged in both types of races and computed an adjustment from that.