PDA

View Full Version : The Pirate

46zilzal
07-14-2009, 11:43 AM
One forgets just how dominant a force was Laffit Pincay. I was lucky enough to
get a first hand education in his ability when the inaugural Oak Tree meeting
was underway and I was still a fledgling. Unable to pronounce his name correctly
the first time, I had no idea who he was but soon found out after a few
performances.

I have NEVER seen another rider who could WILL a horse to the line. Time after
time his mounts would be headed mid stretch and would come on again often ON THE
RAIL where few riders will even attempt a move. I recall his doing that twice on
Skywalker (SA Derby and LGA Mile). the surprising thing about many of these
moves was how often he was just scrubbing on the horse. He often used the stick
to excess as well.

Just watched the good video Pincay "All About Winning" and marveled at how often trainers would tell the tale of how he often
came back to the winner's circle with his left boot covered with the white paint
scrapped off from his up close and personal contact with the inner rail. His
Belmont on Caveat stands alone in that regard as Cordero forced Au Point into
the rail with Slew O' Gold and he nearly went over the inside fence (which he
did several times as the video showed).

There are good riders today who are in the same ball park, but NONE that
compares with his abilities. NONE.

Hank
07-14-2009, 02:40 PM
One forgets just how dominant a force was Laffit Pincay. I was lucky enough to
get a first hand education in his ability when the inaugural Oak Tree meeting
was underway and I was still a fledgling. Unable to pronounce his name correctly
the first time, I had no idea who he was but soon found out after a few
performances.

I have NEVER seen another rider who could WILL a horse to the line. Time after
time his mounts would be headed mid stretch and would come on again often ON THE
RAIL where few riders will even attempt a move. I recall his doing that twice on
Skywalker (SA Derby and LGA Mile). the surprising thing about many of these
moves was how often he was just scrubbing on the horse. He often used the stick
to excess as well.

Just watched the good video Pincay "All About Winning" and marveled at how often trainers would tell the tale of how he often
came back to the winner's circle with his left boot covered with the white paint
scrapped off from his up close and personal contact with the inner rail. His
Belmont on Caveat stands alone in that regard as Cordero forced Au Point into
the rail with Slew O' Gold and he nearly went over the inside fence (which he
did several times as the video showed).

There are good riders today who are in the same ball park, but NONE that
compares with his abilities. NONE.

I'll never forget the first time I saw him up close from the rail, in a driving finish.WOW! He drove the horse to the wire so powerfully it was stunning and when he went to the stick it sounded like gunfire.:ThmbUp:

magwell
07-14-2009, 03:48 PM
I have to agree what a dominant force Pincay was as I saw him ride when he first came around in the 60s at S.A. but the strongest rider I ever seen and Ive seen plenty of them, was C.H. Marquez sr he rode mostly in the Midwest and Florida circuits in the 60s 70s and early 80s he didn't have the ability of Pincay but rarely got beat on the money in a big race, I'm sure there are more but those two stand out.

46zilzal
07-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Laffit mentions on the DVD that Alvaro Pineda was one of the best outside of the Shoe.
sadly both Alvaro and his brother were killed just few years apart

Joey D
07-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Pincay was the best. All he ever wanted to do was win. You knew when you had a bet on him, you would always get his best whether a big stakes race or a maiden claimer. Just the kind of guy you want riding for you.

cj's dad
07-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Laffit mentions on the DVD that Alvaro Pineda was one of the best outside of the Shoe.
sadly both Alvaro and his brother were killed just few years apart

Since you are a West Coast guy - could you compare Laffit to Eddie D. who I remember as being quite a rider.

Imriledup
07-14-2009, 10:21 PM
The pirate is one of the most underrated athletes in the history of American sport.

Paseana
07-14-2009, 11:30 PM
I've always thought that the greatest ride I ever saw, from the perspective of pure strength, was Laffit's ride on Spend A Buck in the 1985 Jersey Derby.

I think it was Charlie Whittingham that once said that a jockey isn't going to be able to get down off the horse, pick him up on his shoulders, and carry him across the line. Charlie must not have seen that Jersey Derby!

And the thing that made that ride even more remarkable is that it was a freakin' pick-up mount for a $2M pot! Cordero was held to a commitment to ride Track Barron that day in the Met Mile and had to give up the mount. I think he and Track Barron finished 4th.

I haven't been able to find a video of that race. The last I looked, it wasn't on youtube. If anybody can find one somewhere, please post a link. I would LOVE to see that race again!