PDA

View Full Version : Where is Lynch?

Pell Mell
07-14-2009, 08:26 AM
What happened to Fergal Lynch? Did he go home or did PP find out about his escapades overseas and throw him out?

BUD
07-14-2009, 10:42 AM
I was feakin shocked when I read what he did in the UK.

Thanks for bringing it up--

Wingtips
07-14-2009, 10:48 AM
He took a few days off and went on vacation. He'll be back riding on Saturday.

Doc
07-14-2009, 12:14 PM
I sent Bruce Cassella, the producer of "Let's Go Racing," a story about Fergal's overseas troubles after watching Keith Jones and Dick Jerardi fawn over him on a recent episode. Never got a response, maybe he was shocked, too.

takeout
07-15-2009, 04:52 PM
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/article-23719687-details/US+racing+chiefs+launch+Fergal+Lynch+investigation/article.do

[snip]
The 31-year-old Irishman, who has been allowed to continue his career in America, is a leading rider at Philadelphia Park with 98 winners and has won prize money of £1.47million ($2.4m) this season.
[snip]

Comment: Ah yes... Good clean racing is thriving everywhere.

bishlap
07-15-2009, 08:39 PM
jeez, had no idea. all i knew was he was a good bet @filly pk. hit a few nice exactas using him and trainer Lynch.Guess now is the time to bet him seeing he must be on his best behavior.

Doc
07-16-2009, 07:42 AM
The Thoroughbred Times article stated that the Pa. Racing Commission is reviewing Lynch's case after receiving documents last week. Which I find really disturbing - I know on owner/trainer/stable worker applications you must state whether you have ever been convicted of a crime or were ruled off in any racing jurisdiction. I don't know about a jockey's license application, but you would think it's the same. Maybe Lynch didn't fully reveal his checkered past. Even if he didn't, it's the Pa. Commission's job to investigate before approving him. They did the same thing with Greenwood Racing when they bought Philly Park in the early 1990's. They just rubber-stamped their approval because they wanted somebody to buy the place and keep horse racing going.

Here's the Thoro.Times story, the Pa. Commission info is towards the bottom:

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2009/July/14/Philadelphia-leading-jockey-to-return-after-averting-ban.aspx

Wingtips
07-16-2009, 09:26 AM
[QUOTE=Doc]The Thoroughbred Times article stated that the Pa. Racing Commission is reviewing Lynch's case after receiving documents last week. Which I find really disturbing - I know on owner/trainer/stable worker applications you must state whether you have ever been convicted of a crime or were ruled off in any racing jurisdiction. I don't know about a jockey's license application, but you would think it's the same. Maybe Lynch didn't fully reveal his checkered past. Even if he didn't, it's the Pa. Commission's job to investigate before approving him. They did the same thing with Greenwood Racing when they bought Philly Park in the early 1990's. They just rubber-stamped their approval because they wanted somebody to buy the place and keep horse racing going.

You're going down the right lane, Doc. The PA Commission, and the PHA stews, knew all about Fergals' UK issues. But at the time, he had been found not guilty in criminal court. They licensed and allowed Lynch to ride, but kept him under great scrutiny over the last year. In addition to the PA license issues, the big stumbling block now is that although Lynch did not testify at his trial a couple years ago, he provided sworn depositions at the time that now can be viewed as perjury. This entire thing is a shame, as Lynch is a very good rider.

rrbauer
07-16-2009, 10:00 AM
These criminal minds do nothing to move the sport forward and their presence does nothing but taint its image. Who needs them? And why?

Doc
07-18-2009, 01:40 PM
I just heard from my buddy at Philly Park that Lynch has been booted off the grounds, apparently by the head of security, who was ordered to do it by Greenwood. The stewards didn't know anything about it, from what he told me.

BUD
07-20-2009, 10:28 AM
http://www.britishhorseracing.com/resources/media/releaseDetail.asp?item=090016

I guess this is part of Fergal's circle.

It went deeper than I knew.

postpicker
07-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Lynch has been suspended a year by the Pennsylvania Racing Commission. I would be shocked after the year is up he is welcomed back with open arms at most racetracks.

BUD
07-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Thats all the Brits were talking about today--They couldn't believe we did what we did-In reality (I) Think that is an unfair assumption--But I have only been around a short time--But that was assuming we are (that) crooked? Are we?

I came in 2 years ago--So I really don't know what it is I missed- So I'll shut up.

Doc
07-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Lynch got what was coming to him, if you ask me.

Maybe "Let's Go Racing" can do a second interview with Lynch. This time, Keith Jones and Dick Jerardi can ask him what he plans to do on his year-long vacation.

Tom
07-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Here's a story on his year's vacation.....

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/fergal-lynch-philadelphia-park-lynch-hit-with-year-long-ban-at-philadelphia/610724

happy
07-21-2009, 07:25 AM
Fergal Lynch is nothing but a CHEAT.... as proved by the British Racehorse Authority. He was banned in the UK after a plea bargain in which he blew the whistle on his confederates { who all received bans] received £90.000 in compensation for loss of earnings and was then fined £40.000 and banned thereby making a profit of £50,000. Why he was not banned worldwide is a mystery. This is a jockey who '' stopped horses'' therefore de frauding the betting public.
Further info; www.theracingforum.co.uk
Google BHA click on ''Resources'' then ''Stewards room'' then '' Disciplinary.
The LYNCH case and the K BURKE case are one and the same.

Wingtips
07-21-2009, 11:48 AM
I'll stand up and applaud Philadelphia Park when they boot off the backside trainers such as McCaslin, a convicted felon (killed someone while driving with a suspended license) who now hides in plain sight behind a new "trainer of record". Unlikely though, given that McCaslin fills the entry box. Plus, the general public doesn't know or care about trainers. In the eyes of the track, such a removal only results in bad publicity.

Patrick333
07-21-2009, 12:26 PM
What's incredible to me is the Lynch got a license. What kind of questions does the application ask? Didn't they do a background check?

I agree on McCaslin. This guy should be allowed near a racetrack much less on the backside.

Wingtips
07-21-2009, 01:08 PM
What's incredible to me is the Lynch got a license. What kind of questions does the application ask? Didn't they do a background check?

I agree on McCaslin. This guy should be allowed near a racetrack much less on the backside.

Fergal Lynch, at the time he was granted a license in PA, had been found not guilty in criminal court and had never admitted any guilt. The PA commision, and the stewards, fully knew of everything that had occurred to date in the UK, and he was scrutinized during and after the initial licensing process. To his credit, Fergal grew his business because of his willingness to consistently try hard on some mediocre horses and ability to communicate well with trainers, which is not the case with some of the better riders in the colony. He was not a jockey to just go through the motions on some mounts. Fergal, I believe, is a changed man, but he cannot outrun some very bad past decisions.

Roberto
07-21-2009, 04:41 PM
I find it incredible that they have withdrawn his licence without a formal hearing. The offence took place in a different jurisdiction and he has been punished in that jurisdiction. Seems to me that the British Press and The British Horseracing Authority have been stirring things up in Philadelphia. This is a witch hunt and not justice.

happy
07-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Fergal Lynch had already lost his licence in the UK when he applied for one in Philly. The reason the BHA did not try to impliment a global ban was because they had done a deal with him. I don't think a leopard changes its spots and hope he never rides again in public. He has done racing in the UK a huge injustice and fleeced the race going public. This man only had to admit ONE charge of stopping a horse for the deal to be done. How many more he stopped we shall never know. IMO he deserves all he gets.

rrbauer
07-21-2009, 05:33 PM
This guy is a cheater of the worst kind. He fixed a race(s). One year is a handslap. Lifetime ban is appropriate. The only way that we're going to get cheaters out of this game is to kick them out and keep them out.

happy
07-21-2009, 06:05 PM
This guy is a cheater of the worst kind. He fixed a race(s). One year is a handslap. Lifetime ban is appropriate. The only way that we're going to get cheaters out of this game is to kick them out and keep them out.

Well put rrbauer. I don't understand any one wanting to defend him. I have done my best by giving info on his ban in the UK and links to the official reports.....either people have not bothered to read it or they are happy to be mugged!!

Doc
07-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Here's another story about Lynch's one-year ban from The Guardian in the UK ... all I can say is that the American press goes pretty easy on the cheats in this country, if they were in England, they'd be chewed up and spit out. Check it out:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/jul/21/fergal-lynch-banned-philadephia-park

happy
07-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Hey DOC, its not only the press that come down hard check out www.theracingforum.co.uk see the posts headed Fergal Lynch and Karl Burke. Make your forums look like Mary Poppins :)

Java Gold@TFT
07-22-2009, 06:07 AM
The trainer involved has finally been given a one year suspension and the owner is out for life:

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/horse-racing/BHA-bans-trainer-Burke-for.5476985.jp

Suspension starts in a week so he can appeal if he so decides. The BHA seems to take as long to sort things out as American racing boards since all of this happened years ago.

Wingtips
07-22-2009, 09:02 AM
Well put rrbauer. I don't understand any one wanting to defend him. I have done my best by giving info on his ban in the UK and links to the official reports.....either people have not bothered to read it or they are happy to be mugged!!

I did not attempt to defend what Fergal did in the UK. I said that the guy I know at Philly has done everything you would want a jockey to do for you and your horses. Under a large microscope for the last year (stewards, commission, etc), he has gotten into trouble for one thing- getting days off for "carless riding", ie- trying TOO hard to win races.

rokitman
07-22-2009, 09:02 AM
His ban should be life-long. What the hell do we need that dooshbag for.