PDA

View Full Version : Rachel's next start...

joanied
07-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Here's the entries...maybe RA will get a full field this time? I figure out of all these entires, at least 8 or 9 should actually run against her in this one...

Delaware Handicap Entries With Weight Assignment & Trainer

Rachel Alexandra, 123 lbs., Steven M. Asmussen
Acoma, 119 lbs., David M. Carroll
Unbridled Belle, 119 lbs., Todd A. Pletcher
Euphony, 118 lbs., Donnie K. Von Hemel
Swift Temper, 117 lbs., Dale L. Romans
Morena (PER) 116 lbs., Michael R. Matz
Skylighter, 116 lbs., Robert J. Frankel
Dawn After Dawn, 115 lbs., John W. Sadler
Hightap, 115 lbs., Steven M. Asmussen
Icon Project, 115 lbs., Martin D. Wolfson
Sea Chanter, 114 lbs., Todd A. Pletcher
Tell It As It Is, 113 lbs., James J. Smith
Combinate, 112 lbs., Rodney Jenkins
Copper State, 112 lbs., Steven M. Asmussen
Livin Lovin, 112 lbs., Steve Klesaris
Luna Vega, 112 lbs., Steven M. Asmussen
My Dinah, 112 lbs., Kathleen M. Feron
Temple Street, 111 lbs., Brad H. Cox

slew101
07-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Hard to pass up a $1 million race, but I'd be surprised if they ran her there. I think another start at Belmont would be a better spot.

joanied
07-13-2009, 03:48 PM
What spot at Belmont would you suggest?
No doubt they are pointing towards one of the Saratoga races...

RockHardTen1985
07-13-2009, 03:49 PM
What spot at Belmont would you suggest?
No doubt they are pointing towards one of the Saratoga races...

Im going to guess they go Haskall-Travers...
I would love to somehow see her twice at Saratoga.
Whitney-Travers, that would be historic.

As for the Deleware race, Icon Project is a serious filly.

joanied
07-13-2009, 04:09 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/51652/rachel-alexandra-in-bullet-work-at-saratoga?utm_source=BreakingNews&utm_medium=email

"Jess Jackson, principal of Stonestreet Stables, and co-owner Harold T. McCormick and trainer Asmussen may also be considering the grade I, $300,000 Coaching Club American Oaks for 3-year-old fillies running 1 1/4 miles on July 25 at Belmont Park and the grade I, $1 million, nine-furlong Haskell Invitational for 3-year-olds on Aug. 2 at Monmouth Park."

Slew101...I completely :blush: forgot about the CCAO...might be a good spot for her, but I beleive if they opt for the CCAO...she won'tr have much in the way of a full field...
PG1985...I like the Haskell/Travers double myself...but, with this bullet work, they may have to run her sooner rather than later.

ghostyapper
07-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Im going to guess they go Haskall-Travers...
I would love to somehow see her twice at Saratoga.
Whitney-Travers, that would be historic.

As for the Deleware race, Icon Project is a serious filly.

They moved the whitney back to august 8th this year so no way will she go whitney-travers. She should go haskell-travers but my guess is they go ccao-travers.

RockHardTen1985
07-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the Whitney info.
Well I will hope they go with Haskall-Travers.
Why would we want to see her in CCAO ?

joanied
07-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Didn't know they changed the date for the Whitney...wonder why? No matter, I don't think that woulda been a good spot for her anyway... Haskell/Travers makes a lot more sense...as for the CCAO...I agree, I doubt it's going to have much a feild this year...and seems even Rachel with free admission & give aways (Mother Goose), can't bring more than 13,000 folks out to Belmont (breaks my heart)...they'd get good crowds for the Haskell & needless to say, the Travers...might be 2 tough spots for her...but, it's time to step up the competition once again.

Well, we'll know within a couple of days wether or not she goes in the Delaware.

Java Gold@TFT
07-14-2009, 07:30 AM
The Whitney is a little later in part because the meet starts a little later this year and in part to give it the right gap to the Woodward.

Asmussen said that the decision on Delaware had to be made today in order to ship properly so we will know by tomorrow. It would be interesting to see her go there and I was a little surprised at the weights. I know she is great but giving a 3yo filly 2 pounds over scale against older is interesting. (I think scale is still 121 at this time of year?)

The Oaks - Travers double would mean two 10F races in a row which would also be intersting. If she went to the CCA Oaks it may turn into a walkover. Who will challenge her at Belmont at scale?

The goal has to be the Travers.

Bruddah
07-14-2009, 08:21 AM
The Whitney is a little later in part because the meet starts a little later this year and in part to give it the right gap to the Woodward.

Asmussen said that the decision on Delaware had to be made today in order to ship properly so we will know by tomorrow. It would be interesting to see her go there and I was a little surprised at the weights. I know she is great but giving a 3yo filly 2 pounds over scale against older is interesting. (I think scale is still 121 at this time of year?)

The Oaks - Travers double would mean two 10F races in a row which would also be intersting. If she went to the CCA Oaks it may turn into a walkover. Who will challenge her at Belmont at scale?

The goal has to be the Travers.

I know Jess Jackson probably doesn't need the money, but a sure $600k vs. the other $$$ is hard to pass up. I look for them to announce they are going to Delaware. They are waiting until the last minute, so as not to scare the competition away. We will know by this afternoon.

I was suprised by the 123# weight assignment. I thought it would be more like 5 or 6lbs. over scale(126-127#). The money, weight and competition makes Delaware a no brainer in my books. It also should leave a lot in her tank for races this fall. (JMHHO)

ryesteve
07-14-2009, 09:36 AM
I was suprised by the 123# weight assignment. I thought it would be more like 5 or 6lbs.I don't have the answer to this, but I'd be curious to know when's the last time a horse was assigned 5-6 pounds over scale, and then actually showed up for the race. I think those days are long gone.

Robert Goren
07-14-2009, 09:45 AM
I don't have the answer to this, but I'd be curious to know when's the last time a horse was assigned 5-6 pounds over scale, and then actually showed up for the race. I think those days are long gone.When did Kelso retire?;)

FenceBored
07-14-2009, 09:57 AM
When did Kelso retire?;)

A dozen years before Forego did? ;)

RockHardTen1985
07-14-2009, 10:00 AM
The best decision would be Monmouth-Saratoga.
It might aslo be the easiest.

ryesteve
07-14-2009, 10:07 AM
The best decision would be Monmouth-Saratoga.
It might aslo be the easiest.
Are you saying this spot looks tougher than what the Haskell will be??

RockHardTen1985
07-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Yes.

ryesteve
07-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Ok, I'll bite. Which horses on that list scare you more than the colts, and why?

RockHardTen1985
07-14-2009, 12:18 PM
This is actually a easy one for me.

Unbridled Belle sucks, but she is different animal over the Delaware surface. She always seems to run a good race there.
Icon Project is a FREAK. She is 100% the real deal.
They are both running and both have ran Beyers comparable to what Rachel has done. The race is also 1 1/4, I think Rachel will have no problem with it, but it is still a question mark.

As for the Monmouth race, who do you have to fear ? I am a GIANT Munnings fan, and I like Atomic Rain, but there are tons of questions about both of those horses. Summer Bird, ughhhhh HES SLOW. Who else is pointing there ?

Im not saying I think she will lose at Delaware, but I think she could. I think she'd probably cruise in the Haskall.

Bruddah
07-14-2009, 12:28 PM
I don't have the answer to this, but I'd be curious to know when's the last time a horse was assigned 5-6 pounds over scale, and then actually showed up for the race. I think those days are long gone.

That's my point. They didn't assign that much weight over scale, giving her connections more reason to show up. Obviously, she is that much better than the Delaware field. Again, if I controlled her races, the money, easier competition and weight would be my reasons to choose Delaware. Add the facts, the race shouldn't take too much out of her and would get her to Saratoga in better condition. It will all be moot by tomorrow, one way or another. (JMHO) :ThmbUp:

ryesteve
07-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Obviously, she is that much better than the Delaware field. Yeah, I thought so too, but apparently that assessment isn't unanimous :)

RockHardTen1985
07-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Did I ever say she would lose ? Watch Icon Projects last, then look at her pp's. Then come back and tell me what jumps out.

ryesteve
07-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Sorry, but I can't get excited over a G3 win in an off-the-turf race with a 5 horse field, and conclude that this makes her tougher competition than colts who'll be showing up for a million dollar purse.

RockHardTen1985
07-14-2009, 12:48 PM
I mentioned 2 horses, 1 of them is certainly a horse for the course. What 3yr running at Monmouth is better then the 2 older girls I mentioned ?

ryesteve
07-14-2009, 01:00 PM
1 of them is certainly a horse for the courseMaybe it looks that way because of the level of the competition at Delaware?

Given the credentials of these two, I'm not sure which colt I wouldn't prefer.

RockHardTen1985
07-14-2009, 01:06 PM
lolol.

None of the good ones are even around. Mine That Bird is going to West Virginia, Quality Road The Amsterdam, Musket Man done for the year. The big 3 from Cali are either hurt/retired. I mean are you being serious right now ? You still have not named a 3 yr colt pointing to The Haskall that you like better then the 2 girls I mentioned.

I love Munnings Im not sure about him at 1 1/8, can anyone argue that ?

Who else is there ?

classhandicapper
07-14-2009, 01:15 PM
If I was making the decisions about Rachel, I'd keep her at 9F unless the field was especially soft. IMO she's more vulnerable at 10F, especially in a hot race with a large field or spotting a lot of weight to other decent fillies. Other than that, I'd also be trying to keep her fresh.

So for me, the Travers would not be an option, but the Haskell might. If I ran in the Haskell though, I wouldn't also run her at Saratoga.

Personally, it might not be sporting, but I'd take the walkover in the Alabama. It's still a very important race won by many of the all time great fillies, the purse is fine, it will probably be very easy on her, and will probably keep her fresh for Zenyatta if a race between them happens later this summer or early fall.

All this talk of tougher races is fine, but she's already had a tough campaign. IMO another tough race or two and they are really taking a chance on squeezing the lemon dry and ruining her. One tough race tops.

ryesteve
07-14-2009, 01:26 PM
None of the good ones are even around.My point was, they don't HAVE to be all that good if the only thing you're going to compare them to is a horse that beat 4 grass fillies in the mud, and a horse that can only win at a 2nd tier track.

castaway01
07-14-2009, 01:27 PM
I don't have the answer to this, but I'd be curious to know when's the last time a horse was assigned 5-6 pounds over scale, and then actually showed up for the race. I think those days are long gone.

Plus she's a 3-year-old vs. older in this race, so it's unlikely they'd put a big weight on her in a spot like this even if that kind of thing still happened.

miesque
07-14-2009, 01:29 PM
If I was making the decisions about Rachel, I'd keep her at 9F unless the field was especially soft. IMO she's more vulnerable at 10F, especially in a hot race with a large field or spotting a lot of weight to other decent fillies. Other than that, I'd also be trying to keep her fresh.

So for me, the Travers would not be an option, but the Haskell might. If I ran in the Haskell though, I wouldn't also run her at Saratoga.

Personally, it might not be sporting, but I'd take the walkover in the Alabama. It's still a very important race won by many of the all time great fillies, the purse is fine, it will probably be very easy on her, and will probably keep her fresh for Zenyatta if a race between them happens later this summer or early fall.

All this talk of tougher races is fine, but she's already had a tough campaign. IMO another tough race or two and they are really taking a chance on squeezing the lemon dry and ruining her. One tough race tops.

I agree with you on pretty much all the points you mentioned, especially the squeezing the lemon dry comment.

RockHardTen1985
07-14-2009, 01:29 PM
She is most likely winner of both races, my point was the field in The Haskell will be weaker... I am not going to back off that, some of the older fillies are pretty decent and most of the good 3yr olds are not running in The Haskell.

rastajenk
07-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Why has she had a "tough campaign?" Because the Preakness was in it? The rest of them were well-spaced against vastly inferior competition.

ghostyapper
07-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Why has she had a "tough campaign?" Because the Preakness was in it? The rest of them were well-spaced against vastly inferior competition.

Yea I don't know where the idea of a tough campaign came from. She skipped the belmont and has been tested once.

classhandicapper
07-14-2009, 02:51 PM
She hasn't been out of training for a very long time. Usually, the very best horses are given the winter off and then get a 2 month freshening somewhere along the line after 3-5 starts before a late summer and fall campaign. Those that try to run the table often tail off badly late in the year. There are exceptions, but why push your luck. Keep in mind, I'm not one those guys that thinks you have space like crazy and only race 5 times in a year. But even the horses in the 70s wore down and needed a break.

I do agree that the Preakness was the only really tough one on her, but she does run fast in almost all her starts. To me, the clock is ticking on her.

I'd rather pass a race now to ensure she's still close to her peak for Zenyatta and good next year than take a chance on running her into the ground to make a few extra hundred thousand dollars now. I still think that matchup with Zenyatta can happen later this year, but only if she makes it that far.

RockHardTen1985
07-14-2009, 02:51 PM
I agree about the campaign. I feel they will go Haskell-Travers. That would be historic for her. Travers will not be a walk in the park for her, especially if Quality Road can get healthy.

RockHardTen1985
07-14-2009, 05:55 PM
http://drf.com/news/article/105505.html

Haskell.

WinterTriangle
07-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Yup, they just announced it on TVG. Rachel will run in the Haskell. :jump:

point given
07-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Yup, they just announced it on TVG. Rachel will run in the Haskell. :jump:

Great news travels fast. I think she will be well suited to the track and win by a big margin like Point Given did in his, but I may be biased :)

sobrenatural
07-14-2009, 06:36 PM
The Mid SUmmer Dery awaits......

Bruddah
07-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Goes to show Mr Jackson is a Sportsman willing to put his investment (Rachel A) out and gamble. I definitely think she will have a much harder time against this field than she did the Preakness. Don't be fooled, this is a tough field in the Haskell. As a matter of fact, I think it's the best 3 yo race of the year, and that includes all three Triple Crown races.
(JMHO) :ThmbUp:

ghostyapper
07-14-2009, 07:49 PM
I definitely think she will have a much harder time against this field than she did the Preakness.

The track and distance are more to her advantage than the preakness race.

joanied
07-15-2009, 10:46 AM
My only complaint is now we have to wait an extra two weeks to see her :D ... and see how many colts actually enter:D
:jump:

point given
07-15-2009, 12:15 PM
My only complaint is now we have to wait an extra two weeks to see her :D ... and see how many colts actually enter:D
:jump:

field of 6 tops, imho

RockHardTen1985
07-15-2009, 12:29 PM
I would love for Todd to send Munnings, but I doubt he will now.