PDA

View Full Version : Turf Book Recommendations!

Maxspa
07-13-2009, 10:44 AM
All,
I've checked The Gamblers Book Store and except for Nate Collin's "A Simple Winning Method For Turf Racing" which I have there are very few options. I would appreciate anyone who would recommend titles for Turf
Racing!
Thank you in advance,
Maxspa

CBedo
07-13-2009, 10:49 AM
I think DRf has Go For the Green. I honestly don't remembrer that much about it.

I thought there were some interesting parts of Pizzola's Handicapping Magic with regards to turf. Also, Quinn's treatment of speed figures on the turf in his Figure Handicapping Book was helpful.

Tom
07-13-2009, 11:13 AM
James Quinn - Figure Handicapping, the chapter on grass figures.
I have been using it for years and it is very good, no only the numbers, but the ideas on what races to rate. I will tell you, at Belmont and Saratoga - especially Saratoga, I do quite well on turf.

Maxspa
07-13-2009, 11:14 AM
C.Bedo,
Thank you for the prompt reply! I will check both the "DRF" and "Handicapping Magic" which I have. There seem to be more Turf races carded- at least at Belmont and they obviously need a different handicapping approach!
Appreciate the comment!
Maxspa

Maxspa
07-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Tom,
Thanks for the tip on Jim Quinn's book! I have the book in my collection somewhere, so I'll be on a hunt today! Trying to get prepared for the Saratoga meet and there have been a lot of turf races carded there in the past.
Much Obliged,
Maxspa

jonnielu
07-13-2009, 11:41 AM
All,
I've checked The Gamblers Book Store and except for Nate Collin's "A Simple Winning Method For Turf Racing" which I have there are very few options. I would appreciate anyone who would recommend titles for Turf
Racing!
Thank you in advance,
Maxspa

For playing turf at NYRA tracks, book reading may be beneficial, but for other areas, your own observations & thought will be more revealing. You will especially see "rule" breaking and bending at those tracks where poly is the main track.

By "rule" breaking, I only mean standing accepted dogmatic theories upside down.

jdl

Profiler8
07-13-2009, 12:04 PM
In the UK you will find many good books on turf racing. They are really helpful.
Mordin has some books about horse racing on the turf.

kitts
07-13-2009, 02:05 PM
"Go For The Green" was a good book.IMHO. Also other books by Heller on racing are out there. Good stuff

Tom
07-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Tom,
Thanks for the tip on Jim Quinn's book! I have the book in my collection somewhere, so I'll be on a hunt today! Trying to get prepared for the Saratoga meet and there have been a lot of turf races carded there in the past.
Much Obliged,
Maxspa

What days?
I'm there Aug 20,21 (22???)

46zilzal
07-13-2009, 03:33 PM
I thought there were some interesting parts of Pizzola's Handicapping Magic with regards to turf.

The BEST in that regard by far

RichieP
07-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Jim Lehane's "Calibration Handicapping" has a very informative chapter, concepts on turf.

His whole book is a great read imo
:ThmbUp:

Maxspa
07-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Tom,
I plan to be in Saratoga from August 12th - September 1st. My sons live in the area so I have a lot of time with family get togethers and people I haven't seen since Christmas time. That being said, I'll shoot for the 20th or 21st.
Looking forward to it,
Maxspa

Dave Schwartz
07-13-2009, 08:33 PM
MAx,

What did you think of the Nate Collins book? Do you think it is a worthwhile read?

Dave

Maxspa
07-13-2009, 08:49 PM
All,
Believe it or not with the exceptions of the U K books and "Go For The Green" I have the rest of the reading materials right here at my disposal.
A spirited Thank You to Tom, Kitts, Richie, jonnielu-polytrack adv.,C.Bedo,
and Profiler for all the help!
Maxspa

Maxspa
07-13-2009, 09:27 PM
Dave,
IMHO, it was poorly written, with the majority of the 27 pages
filled with charts that contain designated calls to look for at various distances. For example a mile race rating would be figured on the race time from 6 furlongs to the finish for the race and then compared with the horses 6f time +finish. Each distance from 5 f to 1-1\2M has a chart to refer to.
Obviously he figures that the strongest closers will end up being the horses to bet and he may be right!
Maxspa

nalley0710
07-14-2009, 04:22 AM
Sports Stat put out some probability studies that I have.