PDA

View Full Version : Steve Haskin on Who's not coming to the Breeders Cup!

andymays
07-13-2009, 08:20 AM
http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-racing-steve-haskin/archive/2009/07/12/guess-who-s-not-coming-to-dinner.aspx

Excerpt From Article:

Not to be a killjoy, but the fact is some of the best horses in the country likely will not be showing up at the Breeders' Cup this year. The following are those horses who have either been ruled out by their owners or have run so terribly on a synthetic surface it would be seem unlikely they will show up at Santa Anita.

Click on the link for the list!

todko
07-13-2009, 09:30 AM
Instead of replacing dirt the plastics have become a 3rd racing surface. The last thing an aging horseplaying population needed was a 3rd racing surface to deal with.

andymays
07-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Instead of replacing dirt the plastics have become a 3rd racing surface. The last thing an aging horseplaying population needed was a 3rd racing surface to deal with.

Synthetic Surfaces are a net negative for Horse Racing in my opinion.

Your comments about the 3rd surface being the last thing people like myself need to deal with is dead on!

point given
07-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Synthetic Surfaces are a net negative for Horse Racing in my opinion.

Your comments about the 3rd surface being the last thing people like myself need to deal with is dead on!

Here, here. There is enough uncertainty without a 3rd surface in a recession to boot. I don't bet california keeneland etc where once i did. It is all relative to the euros though with turf breds . Good article by Haskins.

RockHardTen1985
07-13-2009, 12:50 PM
I agree with everything above, but the Breeders Cup is still the Breeders Cup and the stars will still come. I also think a few horses on his list will show up for the Breeders Cup.

joanied
07-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Good article...and kinda scary too...of course, it's nothin' most of us here are surprised about...maybe this is going to open the eyes of the BC 'club'...they royally screwed up...as much as I hate to see the BC result in poor attendence, handle, smaller fields... if it's a disaster this year, heads will roll and starting 'all over' again next year might get this fabulous day(s) of racing back on top.

For this year's BC races...may as well re name the event to 'Breeders Cup EURO Championships' :mad:

RockHardTen1985
07-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Zenyatta, Life is Sweet, Rail Trip, Einstein, Gio Ponti, Mine that Bird, Summer Bird, Precious Passion.... Are any of them Euro's ? Dont get me wrong, that is not the strongest group of horses, but its solid.

joanied
07-13-2009, 03:54 PM
I agree... all solid and Zenyatta & the 'birds' would be the big draw for the event... what I'm saying (guess I wasn't too clear in my sarcasim) is that having it on the Pro Ride...again...just leaves the door wide open for the Euro's to invade & conquer :faint:

RockHardTen1985
07-13-2009, 03:55 PM
I hate it on that surface, I just try to keep positive about it.

SmartyLane
07-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Agree completely............I went last year and will making the trip again this year.

Beautiful place to go and watch horses run......once there you just have to forget about the synthetics (not for handicapping though) and appreciate the atmosphere and the horses.

joanied
07-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Oh, I always keep a positive :ThmbUp: attitude...but this one is getting harder to deal with...
one thing for sure, you can bet I'll be watching and rooting just like always...
:jump: :jump: :jump:

DrugS
07-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Now, let's look at the bright side. As mentioned, we found an exciting new star in Rail Trip
Ah, yeah.

He really came from out of the blue.

RockHardTen1985
07-13-2009, 10:15 PM
He went from really hyped, to a money burner. He was dead on the tote Saturday, so I'd say it was a bit of a suprise.

sevenall
07-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Here, here. There is enough uncertainty without a 3rd surface in a recession to boot. I don't bet california keeneland etc where once i did. It is all relative to the euros though with turf breds . Good article by Haskins.

Thank god for the uncertainity...otherwise we'd all be betting the same $2.60 horses...

Niko
07-14-2009, 10:36 PM
I'm waiting for the 3rd day of the Breeders Cup--Sunday with 3-4 dirt races at a different track. Or Sunday with all Poly when it's held at a dirt course.

I typically like Poly but it is tough at times with 3 (more if you consider the different constitutions of tracks) surfaces. I normally struggle when many horses are trying the surface for the first or second time.