PDA

View Full Version : Harness Racing

figureman
07-09-2009, 11:11 AM
How about srarting a harness racing group? Harness racing is in dire straits and the powers that be may be even more receptive to our forward way of thinking. There may be fewer players, but HR fans are dedicated and knowledgeable. membership in HANA would be a natural for us.

Cangamble
07-09-2009, 01:58 PM
How about srarting a harness racing group? Harness racing is in dire straits and the powers that be may be even more receptive to our forward way of thinking. There may be fewer players, but HR fans are dedicated and knowledgeable. membership in HANA would be a natural for us.
Since the H stands for Horseplayers and not exclusively Thoroughbred Horseplayers, I don't see why can't at least examine this possibility.

DeanT
07-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Hi FM,

There are about 100-150 harness players ( and more crossover players) in HANA. We speak to many tracks who run both products, and of course ADW issues affect both products as well. The people who pull the slots purse strings pull them for both disciplines, so if they are changed they are changed for harness too. Almost every issue that HANA has (ADW availability, drug issues, takeout, pool integrity, late odds drops etc) are prevalent in both sports. In addition, things like takeout are mandated from the state level, or to be changed need to be changed at the state level. So if we can ever get something done in harness it would overlap in tbreds.

A small harness track has been in touch with us to work with them on getting take lowered for a bet or two. We speak with Woodbine from time to time and others in the industry about offering out something to try for harness players. If any harness track wants to offer something for the player we are all ears. I agree with you that with slots money representing over 90% of revenue at some of these places they should be taking a shot at something new. Perhaps harness can show the way on some of the issues?

As for the pool parties, we are in the growth and metric stage, so it is best to keep them to the largest tent possible, imo, but if some harness track was offering a really low take, just for us or needed help promoting something like that, I would vote with you to take a shot!

Thanks for the comment. It is appreciated.