PDA

View Full Version : Questions Re Webcam And Service Pack 2

trying2win
07-09-2009, 06:55 AM
I bought a new webcam recently, and I've tried to install it in two different ways...i.e. via the installation cd, and without the cd by the 'plug and play' method. Either way when installing, I get the odd error message saying I'm missing a file, and to obtain the missing files (there are two of them), "Put SERVICE PACK 2 cd in the 'D' Drive". One question is...I don't have a SERVICE PACK 2 cd, so why should I have to buy one when I already have SP2 downloaded from the internet." Is there any way to remedy this situation, without having to go out and buy an SP2 cd?

Thanks,

T2W

robert99
07-09-2009, 08:08 AM
Note the exact name of the 2 files then Search in C:\Windows for them. If found, copy files to webcam main folder. If not found , search on internet for them from a reliable source or Windows Update. SP2 is a free download in any case.

trying2win
07-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Note the exact name of the 2 files then Search in C:\Windows for them. If found, copy files to webcam main folder. If not found , search on internet for them from a reliable source or Windows Update. SP2 is a free download in any case.

Robert:

Thanks to you for offering help. You've been the only one so far. After many Google searches, all I run into are dead ends and some scam artists who pretend that they will give you a link to free drivers etc, but after the misleading intro, these scam artists direct you to a page for pay services from them. No thanks to that.

Even the Microsoft website isn't much of a help. Should I be surprised with that? Well....NO! :D Maybe I'm just not looking in the wrong places to find the updates I need.

Here are the two missing files for the webcam I need:

kstvtune.ax

and

USBAUDIO.SYS

--Can any of you other PA member computer experts help me out on this dilemma? Just trying to avoid making MICROSOFT richer by purchasing their WINDOWS XP home edition SERVICE PACK 2. In my opinion, the two files I'm missing should have been provided in the free internet SP2 from MICROSOFT, or in one of their updates.

Thanks,

T2W

bigmack
07-09-2009, 06:13 PM
kstvtune.ax

USBAUDIO.SYS

http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/board/message?board.id=general_webcams&message.id=6363

http://www.everythingusb.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=9782

robert99
07-10-2009, 06:24 AM
Set Windows Explorer to show hidden and system files (folder options).
Use search in C:\Windows folder or go directly to folders below.

kstvtune.ax should be in C:\Windows\System32

USBaudio.sys should be in C:\Windows\System32\Driverstore\File Repository and in several other folders.

headhawg
07-10-2009, 09:46 AM
t2w,

I don't have either of those files installed either. However, you could search for the driver.cab file which should have them in it. I don't know if the versions will be correct, nor do I know the proper location of the two files (e.g. C:\windows\system32, etc.) to extract them to, but a Google search should help you there.

Good luck.

HH

trying2win
07-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks again to the clues initially provided by Robert in trying to figure out how to get the webcam working. Thanks also to Big Mack for the additional clues for me to work with. I felt a little bit like a Thomas Edison in many trials-and-errors, setbacks, then try another angle. Finally a breakthrough came. In the excitement of finally getting the webcam to work, I had forgotten after awhile how I did it. After a review today, I think I might have done something like this:

--Go to the control panel and then clicking through the steps of System....Device Manager....Imaging Devices, until I came to the USB Video Device. Then I might have tried updating the drivers, because when I checked the driver files in the USB Video Device the file 'kstunetv.ax' was in there. Shortly thereafter when I tried to get the video camera going again...Hooray!...It worked.

--Thanks for the belated advice from Headhawg too. I read your post after I had got the webcam working.

--In review, I got some of the best clues of where to start looking for answers from PA members, and not Microsoft or even the webcam manufacturs so-called tech experts.

T2W