PDA

View Full Version : What's the most amount of money you lost on one race?

toussaud
07-08-2009, 12:01 AM
nm

kenwoodallpromos
07-08-2009, 02:32 AM
$40.00 when I wass starting out with show bets. Also the total loss for a day
of $40.00 show bets.

bishlap
07-08-2009, 02:35 AM
$40.00 when I wass starting out with show bets. Also the total loss for a day
of $40.00 show bets.
$90 on a harness tip

fmolf
07-08-2009, 03:03 AM
$90 on a harness tip
$60 on 3 exactas.....$50 on a straight win bet= $110...It was out of my comfort range :D

JustRalph
07-08-2009, 05:33 AM
you gotta be kidding..........

JBmadera
07-08-2009, 06:00 AM
KD '92, the equivalent of about 4 months earnings, bet on that "smallish chestnut"......still makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it all these years later. probably why you'd need to put a gun to my head to get me to bet a fav in a big race.

jb

phatbastard
07-08-2009, 06:51 AM
600 bucks on a stakes horse in nw2 other than @ 7/5 ..pimlico 1972

10 claiming sprinter, drawbridge won stretch-long duel while my hoss was under-wraps

my selection returned 3 weeks later, taking a stakes race @ 20-1 :bang:

sadly i was working that day

Marshall Bennett
07-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Was thinking the same thing , I've lost more buying lottery tickets , though I kicked that habit long ago .

Tom
07-08-2009, 08:57 AM
$1,000 - 500 WP, at a time I was raking in about $75 a week!
Hot tip, my friend's horse, the had been stiffing it, today was the go day.
We had cleaned up on Strictly a Gamble, stablemate to my friends horse the week before. He paid $47 and I had $20 WP on him

In spite of my bet and his, the danged horse went off 15-1!
Turning for home, he was 7 in front and drawing off.
By the time he hit the wire, he was about 30 lengths back in last!!!!

"Give 'em Steel"........I told by friend "Give 'em AWAY!!!!

Turns out he got a bad cut leaving the gate and came back a bloody mess.
They shipped to the NE fair circuit right after that and he won races on Friday, Wednesday and Saturday! 5 furlongs, 1 mile-1/16, and 5 furlongs.
Back then, no way to bet. :mad:

stu
07-08-2009, 09:21 AM
I bet $500 to show on Prime Timber in the 1999 Kentucky Derby only to have him finish fourth.

My bankroll was too depleted to play the Preakness.

5 weeks later I hit the $1 exacta box on Belmont Stakes of Lemon Drop Kid and Vision and Verse for $768.50.

After the IRS's cut at the end the year, the triple crown was still profittable for me having bet $502 to get $768.50 pre-tax; however, the wagering lesson was more valuable than the cash

Tom
07-08-2009, 09:33 AM
I bet $500 to show on Prime Timber in the 1999 Kentucky Derby only to have him finish fourth.

Good reason not to own a gun! :eek: OUCH!

Black Ruby
07-08-2009, 09:41 AM
As a loss, are you counting the money you lost when TVG on air showed 2 minutes to post, but when you tried to wager on their website it said "declined" because betting was closed on the race? Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to they way it happens with them.....I've bet while the last two are being loaded, and gotten "declined" when the field's 150' from the gate.

statepierback
07-08-2009, 09:48 AM
$800.00 to win. Finished fourth. :(

matthewsiv
07-08-2009, 09:50 AM
I trained a fast two year old filly who had come 3rd on her debut (should have won) and then broke her maiden next time.

We went to Royal Ascot for the Queen Mary (5f) and the filly that beat her was favourite.My filly was working great and I was hopeful of beating the favourite.

Come the day,the filly looks great and behaves well in the paddock,goes to post well.

So now I put down $2,000 to win on her.

She breaks badly and hits herself coming out of the gate and all chances are gone.

She was the last horse I ever bet on that I trained or owned.

Cangamble
07-08-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm pretty sure I lost something in the $300 range quite a few times back in the pre-Beyer in the form days mostly on Pick 4's at Woodbine when there used to be $60-$80,000 in that pool.

Lately, I think I've capped myself at around $200 in any race.

Grits
07-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Who gives a tinker's damn what a pixel lost at a racetrack?

Pull a figure out of a hat. Who can come up with the biggest.

Is this about leaving a lasting impression?

If so, in what direction . . . . . your willingness to expose yourself to risk, your deep pockets, or your handicapping error?

Where in the world do some of you come up with this stuff?

Tom
07-08-2009, 11:17 AM
You beat us all, huh? ;):D

Java Gold@TFT
07-08-2009, 11:30 AM
First trip to the Derby and lost $300 on Win and exacta bets when Badger Land got a terrible trip. I was 23 and not ready to lose that much on one race. Since I grew up it has only been about $100 on any given race.

macguy
07-08-2009, 12:11 PM
I remember betting about a months wages on horse on opening day one year.
I was watching the horse the last 3 months in spring training, and there was no way I was going to let that horse go to post without betting on it.

The horse went off at around 5-1. The horse broke ok, but then got an absolutely terrible ride, the jock took her about 5 lanes wide on the first turn (on a bullring no less), and by the time the field hit the quarter pole she was all used up.

The horse came back and won easily 2 weeks later at about 12-1, under a new jock.

I didn't bet.

bishlap
07-09-2009, 12:20 AM
$90 on a harness tip
and to show you i'm not a cheapskate, i did bet $3000 (that's 3 grand) on easy goer's belmont... only regret was i didn't have time to get to track simulcast and OTB took their cut, still better than losing :)

InTheRiver68
07-09-2009, 12:47 AM
Who gives a tinker's damn what a pixel lost at a racetrack?

Pull a figure out of a hat. Who can come up with the biggest.

Is this about leaving a lasting impression?

If so, in what direction . . . . . your willingness to expose yourself to risk, your deep pockets, or your handicapping error?

Where in the world do some of you come up with this stuff?

I both LOL'd, and agreed.

- InTheRiver68

Topcat
07-09-2009, 12:49 AM
lower four figures for me-

a friend's story is more interesting. He bet $10,000 to show on John Henry who at the time had never run out of the money-going off at odds on he was
looking like a sure thing down the stretch when he ran into trouble and ended up 4th. My friend sat there stunned for half minute and then had to be restrained from jumping over the rail and going after John Henry's jockey Bill Shoemaker. He gave up horse racing shortly thereafter.

KingChas
07-09-2009, 01:24 AM

I don't remember. :bang:

andymays
07-09-2009, 05:38 AM
3 Horse win parlay (started with $400)with 14k going on the third Horse who ran third!

castaway01
07-09-2009, 10:54 AM
3 Horse win parlay (started with $400)with 14k going on the third Horse who ran third!

This is most certainly not true...

andymays
07-09-2009, 12:07 PM
This is most certainly not true...

You don't know me very well. I'll take that back you don't know me at all!

The thing about a parly in California and elsewhere is that you can't stop it. Would I have put the whole 14k to win if I could have stopped it? no! Probably 5k or so. It happened the year after I hit a pick 6 for large money.

lamboguy
07-09-2009, 12:14 PM
i bet $15000 to show on a greyhound race at the wonderland dog track. the dog's name was STANO. between him and this other dog that had been running around the same time i had won 47 show bets in a row until i blew this one up.

after the blow up i kept betting him, he won 8 straight and then never saw the dog again.

Rocklane
07-09-2009, 01:44 PM
i bet $15000 to show on a greyhound race at the wonderland dog track. the dog's name was STANO. between him and this other dog that had been running around the same time i had won 47 show bets in a row until i blew this one up.

after the blow up i kept betting him, he won 8 straight and then never saw the dog again.

That makes me sick just to think about that beat. What was the pool size?

lamboguy
07-09-2009, 01:50 PM
That makes me sick just to think about that beat. What was the pool size? i got no clue, it was back in the 1970's. acutally cince then i blew plenty more just like in the horses. but i remember that one the best because it was a dog race!

macguy
07-09-2009, 01:56 PM

Those twitter bridge jumper guys would have been all over you. :D

the little guy
07-09-2009, 02:29 PM
The biggest win bet I ever made was in the Nashua Stakes at Belmont the day after the BC in 1995 where Cigar won the Classic. I bet a horse that was 5:1 who was coming off a monsterous five wide trip on a gold rail at the Meadowlands where he still managed to finish 3rd. Rick Wilson was riding him at Belmont, and after getting perfect position behind a speed duel in the mile race at Belmont, Wilson insanely chose to send him into the teeth of the dual before the half mile pole. He buried all the speeds but lost an excruciating head bob to a Pat Kelly trained runner named Gator Dancer. By the time Gator Dancer won another race, literally 20 months later in June of 1997, the horse I bet was eight months past beating the 1995 Classic winner Cigar in the 1996 Jockey Club Gold Cup.

Skip Away.

Robert Fischer
07-09-2009, 02:50 PM
The biggest win bet I ever made was in the Nashua Stakes at Belmont the day after the BC in 1995 where Cigar won the Classic. I bet a horse that was 5:1 who was coming off a monsterous five wide trip on a gold rail at the Meadowlands where he still managed to finish 3rd. Rick Wilson was riding him at Belmont, and after getting perfect position behind a speed duel in the mile race at Belmont, Wilson insanely chose to send him into the teeth of the dual before the half mile pole. He buried all the speeds but lost an excruciating head bob to a Pat Kelly trained runner named Gator Dancer. By the time Gator Dancer won another race, literally 20 months later in June of 1997, the horse I bet was eight months past beating the 1995 Classic winner Cigar in the 1996 Jockey Club Gold Cup.

Skip Away.

bad beat , good story

SansuiSC
07-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Early 80's Belmont

Horse name "Snow Girl"
Trainer the great "Woody Stephens"
Jockey "Ed Maple"

Somebody made the horse 1/2 ;)

Horse had the lead by 8+ at the 1/8 pole, snapped his front leg and went down.

I remember the race like it was yesterday.

Last "largest bet" I ever made on a single.

Anything can happen in a horse race.

macguy
07-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Early 80's Belmont

Horse name "Snow Girl"
Trainer the great "Woody Stephens"
Jockey "Ed Maple"

Somebody made the horse 1/2 ;)

Horse had the lead by 8+ at the 1/8 pole, snapped his front leg and went down.

I remember the race like it was yesterday.

Last "largest bet" I ever made on a single.

Anything can happen in a horse race.

That reminds me of another horse I bet.

As soon as I saw the horse on the overnight, I looked at the race and knew there was absolutely no chance of that horse losing the race.

The horse broke well, was positioned just behind the leaders, and started to pull away easily at the 3/8 pole. The horse was romping, and at that very moment I couldn't believe everyone on the track didn't pick the horse to win. It was the easiest pick I've ever made my entire life, and I was just so sure the horse couldn't possibly loose. He was the favorite, but a huge overlay in my mind at something like 5/2.

Anyway, he hits the 1/4 pole and is pulling away, making it look so easy, and sure enough, just after the 1/4 pole he snaps his ankle and goes down.

I haven't been sure of anything in horse racing since then. :mad:

LutherCalvin
07-09-2009, 10:38 PM
$100 on the nose. (Finished third)

I did bet $50 to win Genuine Risk in the Derby at 13-1 odds. I was planning to bet $100 but the night before I heard a radio program which interviewed Mike Battaglia, whose comments I let influence me. After the Derby, I said to hell with the "experts". My opinion is just as good, even better.

fmhealth
07-09-2009, 10:53 PM
About 30 years ago I bet $50.00 to win on TELL. He was a PG Johnson turfer that looked lengths better than his outclassed competition.

Still remember walking-up to the $50.00 window (in those days they had dollar denominated windows)& placing the biggest single bet in my life. TELL was 6/5 & ran an incredibly dismal fourth. I've never made a bet of that size again. It was a wonderful, albeit bitter, learning experience

Imriledup
07-10-2009, 04:53 AM
I've seen an interesting trend from most on here....it seems that you've made your biggest plays on high class races, or the Derby. Has anyone ever 'sent it in' on a 5k claiming race? When you have a big edge, you bet. Hard.

Seems like some of you might have tried to go the 'hero' route and gamble on some really hard stakes race with tons of quality horses or that Derby with 20 in the gate.

I won't spend a ton of money on races with several major contenders....i'd have no problem making a sizeable wager on a maiden claiming race where half the field just can't run. In the Derby EVERYONE can run somewhat, you have to beat 19 'runners' to cash.

socal
07-10-2009, 06:04 AM
Ive had my share of bad beats.The worst?
Has to be Hollywood Park,Friday night so time in mid 80`s.
I see Buchanans Run will win inspite of distance and inexperience.
However,If someone was going to catch him it would be Rivers Wild.
The bet;
200. wp on BR
50. box ex. with RW
Well the race went as expected with BR getting so far out front no one was gonna catch. down the stretch the only other horse even close was RW
I`m happy-Getting ready to cash a decent ticket.
Then it happen.
Pat V switched to his left hand{inspite of being told not to}gave a tap and
BR went right into the rail.Wierdest thing ive ever seen.
RW went right over BR and both Horse were lost.
Ugly. The day I killed an exacta.

098poi
07-10-2009, 06:44 AM
The largest single bet I ever made was $1,000 to win on a favorite at 2-1 in the last race at Santa Anita. This is when I lived in So. Cal and had come in to some money I was determined to lose. It was just a blind bet on the favorite in an attempt to play catch up for the day. Even the cashier I made the bet with, who knew me from my other wagers, grimaced and shook his head when I made the bet. The horse did not win. A strange kind of pain I don't wish to experience again.

My worst beat was a few years ago online and I was trying to attack the P4's and I put $1,000 in my Youbet account and was determined to hit one of those big ones. I was betting 3 3 3 4 ($216) or less. Not the most effficient plays. I hit a few that kept me afloat and 1 for over $1,000 but my beat came when I was alive in the last leg at Aq or Bel (brain damage, I can't remember). It was the ninth race and it was a MSW (don't think it was MCL) on the turf. I think I had 3 horses and one of them was leading all the way and got nipped at the wire. It would have paid over 15K. The rub was the horse that beat me was a horse that I was 50-50 with over the horse he beat. Both were lightly raced, not terribly well meant in previous races but not longshots either. I remember looking back and forth and saying just chose one! The horse I chose had raced within the past 30 days and the horse that won had been off about 4 months. I went with recency. Recency may be better with claimers but with 3yo maidens a few months off can be a plus. I took it very personally as we all do. This is when I was on the DRF chat. A poster here who was under a different name then came in and said tough beat which I appreciated. Not too long after my money dried up. Maybe I will try the P4's again. Who wants to lend me $1000?!!

lamboguy
07-10-2009, 07:30 AM
Those twitter bridge jumper guys would have been all over you. :Dtoo bad they didn't have twitter back in those days, it would have been great for business.

what is real interesting is that i hear on television and on this board how betting against the bridgejumpers is such a profitable way to play the races. i think there is alot of emphasis on the 1 in 50 that blowup the tote board and not the other 49 that cash.

lately though i have seen some pretty bad plays out there in the world of bridgejumping. i can't tell you how many times i see guys plunge in on need the lead type horses to show. when those type break one step slow they blow up.

InTheRiver68
07-10-2009, 01:21 PM
what is real interesting is that i hear on television and on this board how betting against the bridgejumpers is such a profitable way to play the races. i think there is alot of emphasis on the 1 in 50 that blowup the tote board and not the other 49 that cash.

Monster prices always attract attention, and it certainly seems at the time like "easy money". But the trick is to slog through those other 49 races, maintaining as much of your bankroll as possible, in order to make a profit that one time when the planets align in your favor.

- InTheRiver68

RaceBookJoe
07-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Largest bet lost recently was $144 in a pick6 at Delmar 2 years ago...but i had 4 winners and 2 seconds that missed by 1 length and 2 lengths respectively. Largest single race bet lost was $100 on a 9/2 shot....ironically the next day i bet $100 on a 9/2 shot at one of the smaller tracks...horse won but my bet helped drop him to 7/5 :bang: Re-learned my small track/bet size lesson. rbj

ghostyapper
07-10-2009, 02:22 PM
I bet $150 on ginger punch to win last year in a race at belmont. She finished 2nd.

Wickel
07-10-2009, 03:08 PM
I bet $300 to win, $100 to place and $200 to show on Clever Starlet at the New Mexico State Fair in the mid-'80s. The horse broke slow and lost about 15 lengths, came flying and finished fourth!!!!!

Whodoyalike?
07-12-2009, 04:50 PM
A few years back, an owner I was friends with told me that his trainer figured out that his horse didn't like running under the lights. This horse didn't hit the board in the last dozen starts. They were entering him in a daylight race later that month.

The day of the race, I was shocked to see the horse (#10) was 40-1. I decided to do a $1 10/all/all trifecta for $110.

The race was 5 furlongs. #10 bolted to the front early and held the lead the entire race. At the top of the stretch he had a 7 lenth lead. At the 8th pole, the lead was narrowing....At the 70 yard pole, the track announcer called out another horses name that had a wide trip but was closing like a freight train on the outside. Both horse crossed the wire, but to my vantage point, I thought my #10 horse held on. The horse that challenged him was #12 at 70-1!

There was a lenthly photo delay. My friends and I were certain we had the trifecta. They told me to make sure I had my SS card.

Ten minutes roll by, and I'm thinking now it may have been closer than what we thought. Perhaps a dead heat? After several more minutes, my stomach hit the floor when the tote board picked the #12 horse on top. A 70-1/my 40-1/and a 16-1 in third. I literally started to cry when I saw the trifecta was $35,000 for a $2 wager.

The track posted the photo for a few seconds, but we couldn't tell the difference. I went to mutuals to request a copy of the photo, to no avail.

Even though I only lost $110 on the race, the thought of loosing that "once in a lifetime trifecta explosion" still makes me sick to this day. I later figured out that if I would have placed $110 on my horse to place (it paid $38 to place) I would have walked away with over $2000!

PaydayKp
07-12-2009, 05:14 PM
1000 straight exactas. i have lost 3 of them. i have a tendancy to try hit hit big when i feel its a lock and we all know there are no locks in horse racing.

Edward DeVere
07-12-2009, 07:42 PM
and to show you i'm not a cheapskate, i did bet $3000 (that's 3 grand) on easy goer's belmont... only regret was i didn't have time to get to track simulcast and OTB took their cut, still better than losing :)

OK - I'll bite. You bet $3000 to win on Easy Goer but your largest losing bet EVER was $90 on a harness tip???

What - the little woman took the Easy Goer proceeds and you said "screw this!"?

I'm so confused.

Steven Kolb
07-12-2009, 07:47 PM
A possible $480K. Last August ('08) at Del Mar, there was a Pick 6 carryover going into Wednesday. The gross pool went over $750K. In the 4th race (Leg B) a Maiden Claimer - I had three selections on my $192 ticket. Secret of Love, a modest 5-1 ML shot, hit the stretch with a nice lead, but just couldn't hang on for the win. A ML 6-1 horse found a late gear and beat her by a length or two. I cashed a nice 5 of 6 ticket, but missing a six-figure paycheck hurt. >
I - and probably most of you - have lost six or seven-figure paydays by a bob here and a nostril there. You may think I won that day because I made a profit (you're right), but a big part of this Pick 6 player says I lost $480K. Of course I had a major attack of the "what if's"...don't we all. - - - bty...this is a great forum!

lurker
07-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Most lost betting was $3000 WPS at the Big M. Most lost booking was $187,000 also at the Big M. Worst bad beat was Captian Squire beating Pleasantly Perfect and costing my partner and I several million as we would have singled the P6. Best beat was when I was 25 and going the the Big M every Friday with a friend. In a 4 horse race I couldn'rt believe there was show betting. I said to my friend that I was betting $2000 to show on one of them and if it lost I was not betting for 6 months. Of course you know the end of the story. I went for 6 months to the track with several newspapers and just hung out. I probably saved myself more than the $2000 that I lost that night. First bet was on a jumper named Cookie that paid $2.40 to win at age 12 or so.

magwell
07-12-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm in on the "inside" of a unraced 3 yr old filly with no breeding, that got her gate card at monmouth.The the action moves to the Meadowlands, she was the work mate of a solid 50k filly, gradually this filly starts to improve and starts showing she as good if not better then the other filly, in the morning {in the dark} We put her in a mc 15k that comes up real weak, shes 20-1 in the ml we spread 10k in spots we knew it wasn't coming back, she gets off at 18-1 and gets loose in the stretch by 7-8 lengths at the 1/16 pole she ducks from the lights or a shadow and hits the rail and goes over it and breaks her neck, the jock got hurt real bad..... we blow the the score and the filly......

A. Pineda
07-13-2009, 11:07 AM
One time two buddies asked me to drive them to DM. I couldn't afford to gamble at the time but, since they were going to pay for everything, I grabbed a twenty and we hit the road.

During the entire three-hour drive, all these guys could talk about was a lock they had in the feature. The bs continued at the track, until I bought into it myself.

When the 5th race rolled around, I noticed that two horses - Devil Aglo and Kelso's Kin - were entered, and I had cashed an ex ticket on this pair before. I boxed their numbers and the ticket returned $515.

Unbeknown to my friends, I then plunked down $500 to show on "the lock," which finished dead last. Since I was the "big winner" I had to buy dinner, so I stopped at MacDonald's in San Clemente. The guys were really bitching about it but I explained that it was good enough for President Nixon so it would have to be good enough for them too.

castaway01
07-13-2009, 01:07 PM
The biggest bet I ever made was $1250 to win on a Thomas Amoss horse last year at the end of the Churchill meet. That one won.

The biggest bet I ever lost was after I felt like I was the "man" after hitting the Amoss bet and fired back with $1000 to win on a turf horse at Delaware who was coming off a bad trip and figured to get a much better trip today. He finished 3rd one length back at 5-1.

gm10
07-13-2009, 01:20 PM
hehe great stories

Ultimate Selector!
07-13-2009, 07:18 PM
I lost $10,000.00 Show wager on the #3 horse years ago at Belmont!

The thing was he was in the lead at the top of the stretch & fell & broke his leg! :mad:

It was a hard one to get over & I still think about at times! :bang:

That's my record Loss to this day! ;)