PDA

View Full Version : HANA heads West - Yavapai

Jeff P
07-07-2009, 10:11 PM
You guys are probably already aware that Greg "Boomer" Wry has been rehired as both track announcer AND director of racing at Yavapai Downs. What you may not be aware of is this: Last week his boss, Gary Striker, extended an invitation for HANA to do a day at the races - date to be determined.

I just got off the phone with Boomer and it looks like the dates are now set. We'll be doing a two day event: Sat August 8, 2009 and Sun August 9, 2009.

Yavapai has promised us a room in the clubhouse and a nice spread buffet free to HANA members on those dates. There'll also be a cash bar if you want to cut loose a little.

While there, in addition to doing a member sign up drive - I'll be meeting with track management from YAV and TUP as well as key decision makers from the AZ horsemen, faculty and students from the U of A Racetrack Industry Program, and (hopefully) members of the AZ Racing Commission.

Want to be part of this?

It's going to cost you...

My goal is to get everybody on the same page... I want to see horseplayers in AZ get full support from Arizona's racing industry and together do a grass roots campaign to get Arizona's ADW law changed. Right now as I type this there are only 27 HANA members who reside in AZ. By the end of this summer we'll need to see several hundred new AZ HANA members if we are to have ANY chance of convincing state lawmakers and regulators to effect change in the one state where it's needed the most.

If you want positive change for racing this is a golden opportunity.

HANA Sign Up Link:
http://www.jcapper.com/HANA/SignUp/HANASignUpForm.asp?source=0

If you haven't already done so, click the sign up link and become a HANA member. And then tell a friend about us and pass on the url. And tell them to do the same thing.

Sincerely,

Jeff Platt

President, HANA

DeanT
07-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Background on this insanity in Arizona for horseplayers:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/40980/arizona-law-makes-taking-account-bets-a-felony?id=40980

Many representatives of the Arizona horse racing industry offered their support for HB2694 during a Feb. 15 state Committee on Water and Agriculture meeting. Among the supporters were representatives of Turf Paradise, Yavapai Downs, the Yavapai Downs County Fair Association, the Arizona Horsemen’s Benevolent and Protective Association, and the Arizona Thoroughbred Breeders Association.

With HB2694 now in effect, the ADW companies were forced to close the accounts of their Arizona customers or face felony charges.

andymays
07-07-2009, 10:48 PM
I'll take Yavapai Downs over Keenland any day! :)

I couldn't resist. Forgive me.

boomman
07-08-2009, 12:50 AM
Background on this insanity in Arizona for horseplayers:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/40980/arizona-law-makes-taking-account-bets-a-felony?id=40980

We look forward to hosting members of HANA on the weekend of 8-8-09, and hope as many of you as possible will attend. I do also want to stress (as a reminder) that no current member of The Yavapai Downs Management team had anything to do with the passing of HB 2694, (in fact I found out about it after our PTC day with Ian Meyers at Yavapai Downs 2 yrs ago) and we are certainly ready willing and able to come to the table and hammer out a plan that makes all ADW revenue and availability fair to the track, horsemen and horseplayers. We look forward to having that discussion in the near future..........;)

Boomer

boomman
07-08-2009, 01:16 AM
Also forgot to let everyone know that we were asked by players to start posting our simulcast schedule on our website...It is there now along with our new management team under the corporate tab:

www.yavapaidownsatpv.com (http://www.yavapaidownsatpv.com/)

Boomer

johnhannibalsmith
07-08-2009, 01:31 AM
Rest assured - Boomer is making giant strides towards improving the product offered at Yavapai for the benefit of fans, horseplayers, horsemen, and management alike. It isn't as easy as it sounds, but nor is it the impossibility that it is often portrayed as.

I have a new optimism for my favorite track that is both refreshing and needed and it is owed in large part to Boomer and his diligence to addressing issues that should make Yavapai a much improved product for those playing the races, which ultimately benefits everyone affected and involved.

Larger, but utterly important issues, such as the ADW debacle are obviously extremely important and need to be rectified, but trust me when I state that simply heading the ship in the proper direction is a major endeavor at this point.

I have confidence that we are already getting things turned in the right direction and when Boomer illustrates to everyone that growing handle is the only recipe for success, it will become apparent that the remainder of the needed progress to succeed hinges upon expanding and retaining a satisfied customer base.

I want to thank Boomer again and Jeff for participating and helping do something that I truly hope can ultimately become a model not only for other Arizona tracks, but ultimately an industry at large.

I look forward to seeing a knowledgeable and constructively critical group that can hopefully help awaken the eyes of others within the industry to the realities of what a brand needs to be in a contemporary model. Horsemen are in a position where understanding how their purses are contrived has for the first time become something of required reading, so hopefully HANA can become educators and reach out to folks that may be receptive to realizing what can and needs to be done for their livelihood to thrive.

Come one come all!

Cangamble
07-08-2009, 08:10 AM
I'm going to make a suggestion here. If one of our members could join here:
http://forums.azcardinals.com/

The problem is they have a Sports Talk Forum and a Non Sports Talk Forum (but you aren't allowed to discuss religion or politics).

I think many football fans bet. So we might get quite a few signups from this site, however, I don't know if someone can start a thread on it, because it is a political issue.

cj's dad
07-08-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm going to make a suggestion here. If one of our members could join here:
http://forums.azcardinals.com/

The problem is they have a Sports Talk Forum and a Non Sports Talk Forum (but you aren't allowed to discuss religion or politics).

I think many football fans bet. So we might get quite a few signups from this site, however, I don't know if someone can start a thread on it, because it is a political issue.

Couldn't the HANA membership drive be introduced on the site as non-political? Simply a group formed to improve the benefits of those who wager on the horses and improvements at the tracks in general.

bob77713
07-08-2009, 10:29 AM
"Many representatives of the Arizona horse racing industry offered their support for HB2694 during a Feb. 15 state Committee on Water and Agriculture meeting. Among the supporters were representatives of Turf Paradise, Yavapai Downs, the Yavapai Downs County Fair Association, the Arizona Horsemen’s Benevolent and Protective Association, and the Arizona Thoroughbred Breeders Association." Notice how the AZ racing commision wasn't mentioned. That's because they voted 'No' for HB2694.

I spoke with the owner of TUP, Jerry Simms, approx. 6 weeks ago regarding HB2694. All I'm going to say is, good luck if you think their going to support changing the ADW laws. They were the principals who drafted the bill.

It's nice HANA is giving support to Boomer. But as a HANA member myself, I want no part in a procott for Yavapai or Turf Paradise. They don't deserve it. You have no idea how this law changed my lifestyle.

Cangamble
07-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Couldn't the HANA membership drive be introduced on the site as non-political? Simply a group formed to improve the benefits of those who wager on the horses and improvements at the tracks in general.
If you want to give it a try, go ahead. I'm sure there are no restrictions on membership regarding where you live. I'm a bit of a Cardinal fan myself, but I'm a member of so many forums these days, I don't know if I can sign up with another one without finally having a nervous breakdown:D

BillW
07-08-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm sure there are no restrictions on membership regarding where you live.

Wanna bet? I'm from Pittsburgh :cool:

Cangamble
07-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Wanna bet? I'm from Pittsburgh :cool:
You fluked it again this year.

DeanT
07-08-2009, 11:15 AM
It's nice HANA is giving support to Boomer. But as a HANA member myself, I want no part in a procott for Yavapai or Turf Paradise. They don't deserve it. You have no idea how this law changed my lifestyle.

Hi Bob,

I think I do know how it affected your lifestyle, simply because I think I would go bonkers if I had to live without wagering the way I do. From day one on the HANA blog we have made mention of the pure unadulterated insanity of the law and how it affects players. We completely feel for you (and with Jeff, who grew up in Arizona and was a long time player there, he feels passionate about it more than most, imo).

With respect this is not a procott of any of those tracks. It is simply a gathering to discuss the issues and try to make a plan of attack to energize Arizona players to change things in the state (and where better to get together and talk about an Arizona issue than an Arizona track?). It is a first salvo to see what players can do. You sound like someone who would be perfect to meet and discuss the issues as you are on the trenches. I hope you, and a lot of players like you would get involved. If not, I understand.

We have read and discussed the state of the game there for awhile now and completely understand the malaise there with tracks like TUP. If I was one person contacting them it would drive me nuts because I know it would be talking to a brick wall (I have done things alone over the years and it is not fun). But what if 400 or 500 people knocked on the door? That's what we hope to find out.

Best,

D

RichieP
07-08-2009, 11:51 AM
But as a HANA member myself, I want no part in a procott for Yavapai or Turf Paradise. They don't deserve it. You have no idea how this law changed my lifestyle.

I agree and wont go near any racetrack in Arizona.They screwed friends who live there with their laws and obscene rakes.

No mas aqui

Jeff P
07-08-2009, 11:57 AM
You have no idea how this law changed my lifestyle.
Actually I might have some small idea how it affected your lifestyle.

You see I'm FROM Arizona and had to move AWAY from Arizona to play horses.

Without your help and the help of others like you we have no chance. The "we put on the show" execs get their way.

But what if 500 people join in and make their voices heard? Would that be enough? Maybe not. What about 1000?... 3000?... If enough people care it tips to where change becomes possible.

-jp

RichieP
07-08-2009, 12:07 PM
But what if 500 people join in and make their voices heard? Would that be enough? Maybe not. What about 1000?... 3000?... If enough people care it tips to where change becomes possible.

-jp

Hey Jeff
How bout instead if everyone simply stopped BETTING at these ratholes in Arizona and let the execs and powers that be choke on the dried up revenue. Thats the only way anything gets done there.

Playing "nice-nice" wont accomplish a thing there. "Shining" for a day or 2 there gives attention and power back to the track

So how bout instead everyone stop betting money and feeding these places.

Lower your rakes from the obscene levels they are at (especially win) then go and let the AZ residents bet who and where they want then MAYBE we consider coming back and betting.

Honest to goodness this is insanity..

I'm also very curious to hear Dr Ziemba, C Fotias, Mr Meadow and all these other board members ring in on this and show where I am wrong or misguided. Can you please forward my request to get feedback from them on this matter.

Oh well thats life and I need to get to my yardwork :(

Thanks for listening Jeff and I wish you Dolce Vita :)

Btw all HANA pool parties are well advertised, discussed and encouraged on my buddies website. We are with you :)

Jeff P
07-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Richie, while I respect your opinion (and your recent work :ThmbUp: ) greatly I think the two of us will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

For the first time ever there's a track in Arizona with a horseplayer calling the shots. They (YAV) know what they're up against and want to turn things around. They also know full well what HANA is all about and invited us there.

I'm going.

And now I need to download card files and import scratches...

-jp

DeanT
07-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Richie, this is a preliminary meeting to discuss all those issues. It is not a commercial to bet the track, it is a meeting to talk to Arizona bettors who are not being served, people like Boomer who is a horseplayer who would like to see things change for the better, and with people who are in tune with the intimate fabric of Arizona racing who are against the things that have happened there who can offer advice on how to hopefully fix things. How do we fix things? Who knows........ we have not even had the meeting yet.

Regards,

D

bob77713
07-08-2009, 12:40 PM
For the first time ever there's a track in Arizona with a horseplayer calling the shots. They (YAV) know what they're up against and want to turn things around. They also know full well what HANA is all about and invited us there.

What horseplayer is calling the shots at Yav? I really wish I could find the meeting minutes when the bill was discussed (they appear archived now). I don't think you would make that statement.

Actions speak louder than words. If YAV management wants to turn things around, tell them to contact the same Mormon anti-gambling AZ reps that helped them to get the law passed, to rescind the law.

miesque
07-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Just to follow up on the comments of Dean and Jeff, the thing to keep in mind is that a shake-up did occur at Yavapai and the outcome appears to be step in the right direction. If you having been calling change and a step in the right direction occurs then that situation needs to be capitalized to see if additional foward momentum can be achieved and a meeting such as Jeff has proposed is an excellent way to do so. That said, I do think this is a situation where a carrot and stick approach may be warranted and it needs to be made clear to the management/ownerships of both Yavapai and Turf Paradise the expectation is for them to put some effort into reversing the state law and all talk and no action will not be taken to kindly and have a consequence. This is their chance to "repent and come to Jesus" so to speak before the Spanish Inquisition.....

(* On an unrelated side note, that hilarious Monty Python skit just came into my mind as I was typing that.... "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition" :lol: )

Jeff P
07-08-2009, 02:22 PM
What horseplayer is calling the shots at Yav? I really wish I could find the meeting minutes when the bill was discussed (they appear archived now). I don't think you would make that statement.Bob,

It's our own Boomman... This is the thread:
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59282

-jp

Cangamble
07-08-2009, 02:24 PM
gldlyTjXk9A

bob77713
07-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Bob,

It's our own Boomman... This is the thread:
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59282

-jp

Jeff,

Boomman held the same position at YAV when the law was passed.

I applaud your efforts. I hope something positive comes out of your meeting. But I really wish you could see the meeting minutes, when the arguments were presented for the bill. That way, when they try to tell you it was the State that proposed the bill, you could call them on their rhetoric.

Count me in when you want to do a boycott of AZ tracks. That's right, I already am.

DeanT
07-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Hi Bob,

It is on the record who was behind it as it was a hot topic here. In fact, a boycott was called for a couple of years ago. It's still on the web as well:

Many representatives of the Arizona horse racing industry offered their support for HB2694 during a Feb. 15 state Committee on Water and Agriculture meeting. Among the supporters were representatives of Turf Paradise, Yavapai Downs, the Yavapai Downs County Fair Association, the Arizona Horsemen’s Benevolent and Protective Association, and the Arizona Thoroughbred Breeders Association.

With HB2694 now in effect, the ADW companies were forced to close the accounts of their Arizona customers or face felony charges.

“It was already in the law that you couldn’t do account wagering,” said Jerry Simms, owner of Turf Paradise in Phoenix. “(HB2694) puts teeth into it.”

The suspension of account wagering has upset Arizona horseplayers who held wagering accounts. Some members of the PaceAdvantage.com (../) forum Web site, including those that live outside the state of Arizona, have pledged to boycott Arizona racetracks that supported HB2694.

boomman
07-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Jeff,

Boomman held the same position at YAV when the law was passed.

I applaud your efforts. I hope something positive comes out of your meeting. But I really wish you could see the meeting minutes, when the arguments were presented for the bill. That way, when they try to tell you it was the State that proposed the bill, you could call them on their rhetoric.

Count me in when you want to do a boycott of AZ tracks. That's right, I already am.

bob77713: You obviously have your mind made up, but you are misinformed......I was just named the director of racing at Yavapai Downs last week. I have NEVER previously been involved in management decisions there and in fact was at my home in Florida when this bill was passed. I was the track announcer there and was only employed there seasonally. (I am returning to the booth this weekend, but am now making managerial decisions at the track in tandem with new General Manager Gary Spiker) I approached HANA about working together in my new position and will do EVERYTHING in my power to make our track the best racing product for horseplayers possible, but of course it will take some time to approach every issue we face. I hope you will give us a chance, but if you don't at least you have your facts straight now..............

Boomer

johnhannibalsmith
07-09-2009, 01:31 AM
You can rest assured that not all horsemen were supportive of the legislation that outlawed ADW wagering in the State. While Jerry (Simms) patted himself on the back for 'what he had done for the horsemen', very few realized what a horrendous outcome the ploy was going to have.

As a group, horsemen truly are not aware of the impact that handle-driven and derived decisions have on their lives. I know that must sound asinine, but the most minute percentage you can dream of can even begin to figure out what takeout IS, much less the effect that it can have on the industry by way of alienating potential revenue sources.

Most horsemen, and I have spent most of my life in that category, rely on the leadership offered either/both by track management and/or horsemen's groups. One has its own agenda and the other is typically naive, misinformed, or depending upon the election results, a rubber-stamp branch of the former.

I don't like hearing Jerry Simms and his ideas even uttered in the same discussions as those involving the RIGHT NOW attitude of Yavapai Downs. I have been one of the most rotten to the core adversaries of Jerry Simms, to the degree that I can no longer train because of his agenda. I have been less skeptical of the motives and attitudes of past management at Yavapai, but hardly impressed with their attention to rectifying their own problems rather than being Turf Paradise's 'runty cousin'.

I am excited for the first time in a long time about the attitude exhibited towards change, progress, hell, revolution at this struggling plant.

For too long horsemen have accepted the status quo, or worse, been led by the nose down the wrong path in Arizona.

This change in management, particularly the resurrection of Boomer and installation into a much more influential position, and the focus on HANDLE, HANDLE, HANDLE is precisely what people within the Arizona industry need to understand the problems that several of you have rightfully addressed.

The thing is - there need to be people, educators, to HELP the horsemen begin and continue to understand the ability that you have to improve their lives and by doing so, they can unwittingly provide you with a mechanism to improve your lives.

I'll attempt not to pontificate too much or inject an absurd amount of opinion, but I do not trust the motives of the owner of the other major Arizona racetrack. The man wants a casino more than he wants a racetrack and always has. He can't get a gaming license (read up on that) and a racetrack is, in my opinion, a means to an end.

How would you go about proving to your local legislators that the racing industry NEEDED slots to survive if you were primarily interested in the gaming part of the venture?

I'll let you draw conclusions, but I implore you not to penalize those that may or may not have been aboard for a bill of goods that was sold under false pretenses, or at best, with extremely poor judgement.

The current Yavapai team is striving to post massive gains in handle, not by putting in machines, but by addressing the concerns, needs, and wants of the fans, players, and all customers.

I believe that in the face of declining handle nationwide, a time in the Yavapai meet where handle traditionally falters, and a local recession, that this crew has a legitimate chance to boost handle revenue 100%. I don't mean one-hundred percent in the figurative, atta-boy way, but in the literal double revenue way.

With two months to do it, and realistically probably only six weeks of usable time to actually implement many of the more pointed ideas, it is a big goal. But, when it is reached - the point will have been made -- and it is the same point that the detractors in this thread are trying to make - That the attitude towards the racing product and the customers has been appalling.

And the end result is proving that Yavapai's model is an approach that Turf Paradise had better consider implementing, because the horsemen will see for their very selves that they have been lied to and that racing is a rock solid product when packaged, promoted, and produced like it can and should be.

Thank you for reading... even the skimmers... ;)

bob77713
07-09-2009, 01:49 AM
Ok Boomman. Thanks for straightening me out on the facts regarding your position at Yav. If your sincere about helping out AZ Horseplayers, this one should be simple.

Considering I opened my first ADW account (Philly Phonebet) in the mid 80's, one of the things that frustrates me now without having an account, is not being able to bet some of the P6 carryovers. I'm not talking about a carryover at AP or LAD when the full card isn't carried, or Hollywood Park on Friday nights. I mean with the NYRA tracks.

Whenever they have an 11 race card, you cannot bet the P6 at an AZ OTB. It has happened to me twice this year, which was a waste of time driving to the OTB. Before you get upset, it was during TUP's season, not Yavapai's.

I wouldn't be surprised if the mutuels programming, can't handle starting a P6 in race 6.

DeanT
07-09-2009, 02:09 AM
JHS,

Thank you for writing that. I have no idea who you are, but if you want to post that as a blog piece it would be a hell of a lot better than anything I write.

That is some fine work.

D

bob77713
07-09-2009, 02:27 AM
I agree with Dean, that is one impressive post John. I just read it 3 times.

boomman
07-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Ok Boomman. Thanks for straightening me out on the facts regarding your position at Yav. If your sincere about helping out AZ Horseplayers, this one should be simple.

Considering I opened my first ADW account (Philly Phonebet) in the mid 80's, one of the things that frustrates me now without having an account, is not being able to bet some of the P6 carryovers. I'm not talking about a carryover at AP or LAD when the full card isn't carried, or Hollywood Park on Friday nights. I mean with the NYRA tracks.

Whenever they have an 11 race card, you cannot bet the P6 at an AZ OTB. It has happened to me twice this year, which was a waste of time driving to the OTB. Before you get upset, it was during TUP's season, not Yavapai's.

I wouldn't be surprised if the mutuels programming, can't handle starting a P6 in race 6.

Bob: I am certainly very sincere about doing everything I can to help horseplayers, and I did ck into your complaint with our simulcast director this am, and can tell you that our simulcast schedule includes wagering on the pick 6 @ Belmont and then Saratoga throughout the summer. If you have any other concerns, don't hesitate to ask as we certainly want and appreciate your business. Also, let me add that the post by JHS is one of the best and complete I have seen at PA, and I can assure him that we will do EVERYTHING we can to drive handle (with your help) in the 2nd half of the Yavapai season beginning this Saturday!:ThmbUp:

Boomer

bob77713
07-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Boomman,

Thanks for the followup. It was really strange that I could bet the Belmont P6, except the days they had an 11 race card. This was during the TUP season though. Another bet they didn't carry at all, was the P5 at Mounmouth.

Good luck in your new position. It appears that everyone is upbet and positive with the new changes at YAV. Maybe I'll see you at the HANA outing. I haven't been up there in a while, and it would be nice to meet some people interested in AZ racings future.

boomman
07-10-2009, 12:46 AM
Boomman,

Thanks for the followup. It was really strange that I could bet the Belmont P6, except the days they had an 11 race card. This was during the TUP season though. Another bet they didn't carry at all, was the P5 at Mounmouth.

Good luck in your new position. It appears that everyone is upbet and positive with the new changes at YAV. Maybe I'll see you at the HANA outing. I haven't been up there in a while, and it would be nice to meet some people interested in AZ racings future.

Bob: No problem and I hope that you do join us for the H.A.N.A. weekend @ Yavapai (if not before then) I look forward to meeting you as well.

Boomer

boomman
07-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Hi guys! Just a reminder that we have 84 horses (after scratches) going in the 9 race card today at Yavapai, so some full fields for you to wager on, including field sizes of thoroughbreds in the late pick 4 of 9-9-9-11. We also hope to be making an announcement soon on a new wager that we think you'll really like. Will announce upon approval!;)

Boomer

RichieP
07-13-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm on a full comp from Trackmaster/Equibase regarding data files etc and the first tracks I DELETE from file grabbing are the Arizona tracks.

20% withholding on win bets plus not one word from Tup/Yav executives that they will no longer be in support of the legislation that blocks AZ residents from doing as they wish re online wagering.

Once again I.M.H.O if everyone STOP BETTING at these sewers you will see how fast all the mumbo jumbo talk ends and ACTION results favoring us the horseplayer.

Dry up the cash stream and action will follow quickly.

Til then it's more lipstick on a p**

boomman
07-13-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm on a full comp from Trackmaster/Equibase regarding data files etc and the first tracks I DELETE from file grabbing are the Arizona tracks.

20% withholding on win bets plus not one word from Tup/Yav executives that they will no longer be in support of the legislation that blocks AZ residents from doing as they wish re online wagering.

Once again I.M.H.O if everyone STOP BETTING at these sewers you will see how fast all the mumbo jumbo talk ends and ACTION results favoring us the horseplayer.

Richie: You are of course entitled to your opinion, but what do you think my invite to HANA for the weekend of Aug 8 was, to discuss the weather? The NEW management at Yavapai Downs (which includes me) is committed to improving conditions for horseplayers and becoming as customer friendly as humanly possible. All I can take from this is that you didn't read my previous threads, or was it you simply chose to ignore them.......:confused:

Boomer

Warren Henry
07-13-2009, 12:23 PM

Richie,

The sinner is asking for help to get back on the right path and the minister continues to blast him for his sins. Think the sinner will be able to change?

Why not give Boomer and the new management a chance. Why not come together under white flags and discuss what might be done to make it better for all. Reducing take usually will require action at the state level. That takes time and the track may need our help in convincing others that it is a good idea. In the meantime, the track may be able to make smaller changes that will benefit us.

Slapping the offered hand will not benefit us in any way. I think HANA should accept the invitation as being made in good faith. If nothing good happens, we can back away. Talking to these people in no way violates our goals.

JMHO

trying2win
07-13-2009, 03:50 PM
I don't like the 20 % takeout on WPS show bets at YAVAPAI DOWNS either. In the meantime for price-sensitive bettors, if you were hesitating betting at YAV, why not sign up for an account at the ADWS PREMIER TURF CLUB or LINK2BET, and you can get a reasonable rebate to lower the effective takeout? Then be patient and give the management at YAVAPAI DOWNS a chance to discuss lowering their takeouts with their Arizona state government.

I believe Boomer to be a real possibility thinker. As well as being the announcer at YAV, he is the director of racing there. He goes out of his way to answer PMs and emails to answer your questions in a timely manner. That's more than I can say about a lot of racetrack executives. I'm confident Boomer will continue to work for many intiatives to enhance your enjoyment of the races at YAV.

T2W

rrbauer
07-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Richie,

The sinner is asking for help to get back on the right path and the minister continues to blast him for his sins. Think the sinner will be able to change?

Why not give Boomer and the new management a chance. Why not come together under white flags and discuss what might be done to make it better for all. Reducing take usually will require action at the state level. That takes time and the track may need our help in convincing others that it is a good idea. In the meantime, the track may be able to make smaller changes that will benefit us.

Slapping the offered hand will not benefit us in any way. I think HANA should accept the invitation as being made in good faith. If nothing good happens, we can back away. Talking to these people in no way violates our goals.

JMHO

Talk is cheap. It's not clear to me, even though Boomer is a friend, that Yavapai has any clout where Arizona state racing officials and state legislators are concered. Yavapai is located in a district with low population and consequently the represetatives from that area are at a disadvantage in any statewide issue where their position is at odds with other parts of the state. I think that Yavapai representatives need to make whatever case they want to make about differentiating their racing product from the product being offered elsewhere and then horseplayers can decide the whats/wheres regarding their money.

It's "show me" time, Yavapai.

boomman
07-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Talk is cheap. It's not clear to me, even though Boomer is a friend, that Yavapai has any clout where Arizona state racing officials and state legislators are concered. Yavapai is located in a district with low population and consequently the represetatives from that area are at a disadvantage in any statewide issue where their position is at odds with other parts of the state. I think that Yavapai representatives need to make whatever case they want to make about differentiating their racing product from the product being offered elsewhere and then horseplayers can decide the whats/wheres regarding their money.

It's "show me" time, Yavapai.

Fair enough Rich! Get on a plane and attend the H.A.N.A. weekend at Yavapai Downs August 8-9, and we'll discuss in detail the plans we have. Only time will tell as to how much "clout" we could end up having, but you could be surprised. GM Gary Spiker and I have set a goal for doing everything we can to help our customers, (now and in the future) and we will not deviate from that attitude. I promise you that, so I hope you and many H.A.N.A. members can pay us a visit!;)

Boomer

bob77713
07-16-2009, 03:48 PM
UNBELIEVABLE!

I go over to Padre Murphy's at lunch time to bet the Hol Super High 5 carryover. It's not in the system. ????? keeps coming up on the screen when he selects the bet. The mutuel clerk has been there for a few years, so he knows what he's doing.

He call mutuels at Yavapai, and they tell him the bet is available in the system. Great help they were. I seriously don't know why I put up with this. It's nothing but constant frustration. :bang:

boomman
07-16-2009, 06:26 PM
UNBELIEVABLE!

I go over to Padre Murphy's at lunch time to bet the Hol Super High 5 carryover. It's not in the system. ????? keeps coming up on the screen when he selects the bet. The mutuel clerk has been there for a few years, so he knows what he's doing.

He call mutuels at Yavapai, and they tell him the bet is available in the system. Great help they were. I seriously don't know why I put up with this. It's nothing but constant frustration. :bang:

bob: First of all, let me say up front that I value your business. They say there are "2 sides to every story" and I would like to give ours to the board. Here's what was explained to me: I spoke with Mark Procunier who was the teller that you dealt with at Padre Murphy's and he said he nicely explained to you that the problem was not that the bet isn't in the system (which it is and has been punched all day long there since Nicole arrived on her machine next to Mark's). Mark was told by tote that the problem is originating with his machine and that they will immediately investigate what type of trouble shooting needs to be done to his SPECIFIC tote machine to make this function work. My tote operator Roger had been on the phone with the tote supervisor Kathleen and this problem is being worked on as I type this response. You were asked if you could wait and allow us to get your ticket punched on another machine or a another location and apparently did not have time to do so and I respect that. We apologize for the inconvenience, but in no way shape or form was this wager eliminated by our system and nor would it ever be. It was a one machine tote malfunction: plain and simple, and we're sorry for that. But as a show of good faith, I hope you'll contact me at Yavapai Dopwns and allow me to get you a clubhouse table on us and give you an opportunity to head to the mountains for a fun day of live racing!;)

Boomer

trying2win
07-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Last Sunday, I sent a PM to Boomer and mentioned that TSNHORSE.COM and sister company BRISNET.COM didn't have YAVAPAI DOWNS on it's online toteboad. I asked him if he could contact those companies to see what could be done. Voila! The very next day YAV was back on the toteboards at those two websites.

On the same Sunday, I even mentioned to Boomer that the ADW named BETAMERICA.COM, had YAV on it's racetracks' list, but not on its racing calendar. Presto! The next day YAV was back on BETAMERICA'S racing calendar.

I even got some good handicapping tips from Boomer on what to look for in quarter horse races. As you know or may not know, YAV has some quarter horse races mixed in with the thoroughbred races. Mondays and Tuesdays at YAV though are predomininatly for thoroughbred races. To summarizie the opening three paragraphs in this post...those are just a few things that Boomer has 'gone the extra mile' to find out the answers for me. I'm confident, Boomer will do the utmost for anyone else interested in the YAVAPAI DOWNS races. Do you get that kind of service from any other racetrack executive you send an email to?

I just started betting YAV races again recently. I found them just as formful as any other western U.S. or Canadian track I play on a regular basis (AP and some other tracks west of that)...or NP and HST in Canada. Sorry, no testimonial for eastern U.S. or Canadian tracks...rarely play them anymore.

I think I might have mentioned this is another post somewhere at PACE ADVANTAGE, but for those bettors seeking rebates can get them on YAV races at both of these ADWS....LINK2BET.COM and PREMIER TURF CLUB.

For those Canadian residents who say that they can't get YAV on video anywhere. Not true. Canadian residents can get YAV video if they sign up for an account at BETAMERICA.COM...better still would be if YAVAPAI DOWNS could provide free live video for bettors. I see TUP supplies free live video through a lesser-known communications company than the one most tracks use...i.e. ROBERTS COMMUNICATIONS. Maybe TUP gets a better deal with the lesser-known copany. I don't know. What do you say Boomer to the possibility of getting free live video sometime in the future for your customers at YAV?

T2W

---------------------------------------------------------------------

~"The real boss is the customer. They pay for your salary and everything you own. If you don't please him or her, they will take their business elsewhere."

--Earl Nightingale

boomman
07-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Last Sunday, I sent a PM to Boomer and mentioned that TSNHORSE.COM and sister company BRISNET.COM didn't have YAVAPAI DOWNS on it's online toteboad. I asked him if he could contact those companies to see what could be done. Voila! The very next day YAV was back on the toteboards at those two websites.

On the same Sunday, I even mentioned to Boomer that the ADW named BETAMERICA.COM, had YAV on it's racetracks' list, but not on its racing calendar. Presto! The next day YAV was back on BETAMERICA'S racing calendar.

I even got some good handicapping tips from Boomer on what to look for in quarter horse races. As you know or may not know, YAV has some quarter horse races mixed in with the thoroughbred races. Mondays and Tuesdays at YAV though are predomininatly for thoroughbred races. To summarizie the opening three paragraphs in this post...those are just a few things that Boomer has 'gone the extra mile' to find out the answers for me. I'm confident, Boomer will do the utmost for anyone else interested in the YAVAPAI DOWNS races. Do you get that kind of service from any other racetrack executive you send an email to?

I just started betting YAV races again recently. I found them just as formful as any other western U.S. or Canadian track I play on a regular basis (AP and some other tracks west of that)...or NP and HST in Canada. Sorry, no testimonial for eastern U.S. or Canadian tracks...rarely play them anymore.

I think I might have mentioned this is another post somewhere at PACE ADVANTAGE, but for those bettors seeking rebates can get them on YAV races at both of these ADWS....LINK2BET.COM and PREMIER TURF CLUB.

For those Canadian residents who say that they can't get YAV on video anywhere. Not true. Canadian residents can get YAV video if they sign up for an account at BETAMERICA.COM...better still would be if YAVAPAI DOWNS could provide free live video for bettors. I see TUP supplies free live video through a lesser-known communications company than the one most tracks use...i.e. ROBERTS COMMUNICATIONS. Maybe TUP gets a better deal with the lesser-known copany. I don't know. What do you say Boomer to the possibility of getting free live video sometime in the future for your customers at YAV?

T2W

---------------------------------------------------------------------

~"The real boss is the customer. They pay for your salary and everything you own. If you don't please him or her, they will take their business elsewhere."

--Earl Nightingale

T2W: Thanks for the kind words, and as for free video being offered on our website, we are looking into that to see what type of cost is involved. We appreciate all of your suggestions and will continue to implement as many of our customer's ideas as possible to enhance the Yavapai Downs racing experience!:ThmbUp:

Boomer

positive4th
07-21-2009, 03:38 AM
I will read up more on this thread before giving any opinions as I'm not even current on what this is all about..........but if my showing up at Yavapai will be good for AZ horseplayers in some way, I'm happy to do it if I can.........when is this get-together?? (I have a 5 hr. drive to get there, but happy to make it)

Jeff P
07-21-2009, 04:19 AM
Positive4th,

I'll be there for two days Sat Aug 8th and Sun Aug 9th.

If you're a HANA member you should be getting an email from me sometime this week.

If you're not a HANA member and want to meet us there shoot an email to me at:

jeff @ jcapper . com
(remove the blank spaces first)

-jp

DeanT
07-21-2009, 05:05 PM
Bill W will be there as well, flying in from the Lone Star state. He does not have internet access and he wanted to pass along that any members should look for him.......... he will be wearing a pair of HANA boxer shorts, a sombrero and toting a Samsung NC10 netbook.

He'll look something like this.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_T5l4T1v6mz4/SdFJtpQLUvI/AAAAAAAABTs/4cSoS7jWlo8/s320/sombrero.jpg

trying2win
07-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Boomer:

What happened at Yavapai today? All races cancelled after the 5th race? It said at the TSNHORSE site for the weather conditions..."Chance of a thunderstorm", but they didn't list the track condition. Mind you , with all the higher than normal amount of scratches, I guess that was one clue that the track must have been muddy or sloppy. Can you elaborate some more?

Thanks,

T2W

BillW
07-21-2009, 10:20 PM
Bill W will be there as well, flying in from the Lone Star state. He does not have internet access and he wanted to pass along that any members should look for him.......... he will be wearing a pair of HANA boxer shorts, a sombrero and toting a Samsung NC10 netbook.

He'll look something like this.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_T5l4T1v6mz4/SdFJtpQLUvI/AAAAAAAABTs/4cSoS7jWlo8/s320/sombrero.jpg

I'm bringing a flock carrier pigeons. Communication will be established and I pity the fool that thinks any different! :p

miesque
07-21-2009, 11:14 PM
I'm bringing a flock carrier pigeons. Communication will be established and I pity the fool that thinks any different! :p

Well I hope your carrier pigeons have access to the internet somewhere because I expect to see some real time online updates. :)

boomman
07-21-2009, 11:25 PM
Boomer:

What happened at Yavapai today? All races cancelled after the 5th race? It said at the TSNHORSE site for the weather conditions..."Chance of a thunderstorm", but they didn't list the track condition. Mind you , with all the higher than normal amount of scratches, I guess that was one clue that the track must have been muddy or sloppy. Can you elaborate some more?

Thanks,

T2W

T2W: It is monsoon season in Arizona and we duck storms literally everyday until around the 1st of August. Today we got clobbered right before the 4th race, and the riders came out for the 5th in a torrential downpour. The track was sealed but there was a lot of standing water on the track, so we were forced to cancel after the 5th race................

Boomer

BillW
07-22-2009, 01:05 AM
Well I hope your carrier pigeons have access to the internet somewhere because I expect to see some real time online updates. :)

As long as there is Sprint coverage there, I'll be fine. :)

trying2win
07-22-2009, 02:35 AM
Boomer,

Thanks for the track condition/cancellation update for YAV yesterday. Coincidently, most of my bets at YAV on this day happened to be in the first five races. Only one bet made ahead of time after that for a refund.

And here I thought Prescott, Arizona was hot and dry most of the summer. :)

T2W

BillW
07-22-2009, 02:39 AM
As long as there is Sprint coverage there, I'll be fine. :)

Looks like Sprint has only 2nd tier service in the Prescott area (in the ballpark of dial-up speed :( ) I guess I'll have to talk Boomer into the top secret code for wireless access there :) .

boomman
07-23-2009, 12:03 AM
Looks like Sprint has only 2nd tier service in the Prescott area (in the ballpark of dial-up speed :( ) I guess I'll have to talk Boomer into the top secret code for wireless access there :) .

Bill: We do have a wireless network at the track (we're almost in the 21st century,LOL:D ) and Jim: Ever hear of monsoons? That's what we experience in July and August, can literally rain every day, or not at all. 2 weeks ago, the weatherman said 10% chance of rain.................... We only got 4 inches!:(

Boomer

trying2win
07-25-2009, 06:27 PM
I see today that the YAVAPAI DOWNS online toteboard is missing again at the TSNHORSE.COM and BRISNET.COM sites. Don't blame YAVAPAI DOWNS for that though. If there's anyone to blame it's TSNHORSE.COM, BRISNET.COM and their associates. I'm sure BOOMER will be after the incompetent culprits responsible for this inconvenience to 'FIX THE PROBLEM...NOT FIX THE BLAME WITH ALIBIS AND EXCUSES"

Anyway, there's some good news. A website that doesn't use alibis and excuses when it comes to having the online toteboard for YAVAPAI DOWNS available today. That site is at www.drf.com (http://www.drf.com) . The online toteboards for many tracks are under 'TOOLS' on the horizontal menu at the DRF website.

T2W

BUD
07-26-2009, 01:58 PM
It was Great to hear that Big Booming voice coming from Yavapai.
Nothing personal to the other fellow--But it was not Yavapai racing witout Boomer.

Glad your back:1:

boomman
07-26-2009, 11:42 PM
It was Great to hear that Big Booming voice coming from Yavapai.
Nothing personal to the other fellow--But it was not Yavapai racing witout Boomer.

Glad your back:1:

Thanks Bud! Great to be back:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Boomer