PDA

View Full Version : ED HALPERN SAYS CHRB DECISION POSES DANGER TO ALL TRAINERS!

andymays
07-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Interesting take from Ed Halpern.

by Edward I. Halpern,
CTT Executive Director & General Counsel

http://www.caltrainers.org/

(in pdf format)

Excerpt:

The racing industry has been taking a long look at ways to improve safety for horses and riders. In an attempt to reduce injuries, racing associations have spent millions of dollars on synthetic surfaces. Additional millions have been spent at UC Davis reviewing and analyzing injuries. But the search for safety may now have gone too far and it may be turning into a witch hunt... Click here to read the complete article »»

fmolf
07-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Interesting take from Ed Halpern.

by Edward I. Halpern,
CTT Executive Director & General Counsel

(in pdf format)

Excerpt:

The racing industry has been taking a long look at ways to improve safety for horses and riders. In an attempt to reduce injuries, racing associations have spent millions of dollars on synthetic surfaces. Additional millions have been spent at UC Davis reviewing and analyzing injuries. But the search for safety may now have gone too far and it may be turning into a witch hunt... Click here to read the complete article »»

they have to blame the trainers.They are not gonna blame the polytrack right!horses never break down on the wondertrack so it must be trainer negligence!

andymays
07-07-2009, 10:18 PM
they have to blame the trainers.They are not gonna blame the polytrack right!horses never break down on the wondertrack so it must be trainer negligence!

I've posted on other threads that I think Racing Officials are playing to the public and going a little over the top in certain areas and this is an example of that. We are beginning to see a backlash from Trainers because of the scrutiny and I think you'll see more of it. The last thing California wants right now is for a Trainer to take his horses elsewhere.

fmolf
07-07-2009, 10:22 PM
I've posted on other threads that I think Racing Officials are playing to the public and going a little over the top in certain areas and this is an example of that. We are beginning to see a backlash from Trainers because of the scrutiny and I think you'll see more of it. The last thing California wants right now is for a Trainer to take his horses elsewhere.
I could care less if they all left!California racing has ruined itself.I wont even bet delmar!

andymays
07-07-2009, 10:32 PM
I could care less if they all left!California racing has ruined itself.I wont even bet delmar!

I live 20 minutes away and I refuse to go. Between the synthetic surface and the bad experience I had on the Del Mar Forum they can have it.

kenwoodallpromos
07-08-2009, 02:01 AM
Is anyone making Polyexcuses for trainers because they just hate everything associated with a Poloy track? I hope the article was read. One horse was worked 1 day after being declared unsound and put on the vet's list; 1 was worked 2 weeks after being put on the vet's list even thought the trainer asked for advise from the state vet and then went against the vet's doubts; the 3rd case was not written about.
So is it a choice only of blaming 3 breakdowns on either the trainer or the track? All 3 were following a recent unsound scratch so there was a recent leg problem with each horse and the trainer decided to take what they knew was a risk- I guess it must happen a lot. Maybe just most of the time the horse survives.
FYI- Ed is suggesting a panel of vets and others to investigate each breakdown- and I wholeheartedly agree! He is placing no blame anywhere yet- I'm placing blame on a history of known problems regardless of how recent.
I guess this how some trainers place their bets-on the life and health of their runners.

bishlap
07-08-2009, 02:16 AM
if the geniuses in california mandated a synthetic surface in a climate such as cali's, right then and there we all shoulda known (fill in the blanks.)