PDA

View Full Version : The Cornell Collar Caper

johnhannibalsmith
07-07-2009, 03:47 PM
I have been on every side of this business, but the one thing that has remained constant has been my love for handicapping and passion for deciphering the puzzles.

But now, officially donning the hat of 'horseplayer' for a moment, since this point seems lost on people in other realms of the business - when are people going to demand that the racing publications that produce past performances designate horses that are racing with cornell collars?

I am not certain how many or which jurisdictions specifically allow their usage, but unless you buy an official program, horseplayers are left in the dark as to which horses are using this piece of equipment.

To my mind, the cornell collar is no less deserving on notation in the racing form than is Lasix usage, as most jurisdictions that allow the equipment require a process for its usage almost identical to that of going on or off of Lasix. You must demonstrate a need for its use to the track or State vet, often must work once using it to show its effectiveness, and then must submit a form documenting the intent to race using it.

The rules seem to have been relaxed somewhat, but as a device that is specifically geared to remedy a legitimate medical/veterinary problem (displacement of the palate), it seems that it warrants a place in the form if frigging front bandages (the ultimate red herring) get a mention.

In this world of horses going from one track to another, State to State, it might be worth being aware of the fact that HorseJohnSmith moved up ten legnths three starts ago when they put a cornell collar on and now he is racing in a State that doesn't allow the equipment, hence it is off. Of course, nobody has any way of knowing if it is on or off, because the information is never published other than as a footnote in the track's official program.

To make matters worse, a large percentage of the paddock judges around the globe probably couldn't differentiate one from a standard noseband/bridle anyway.

Rant over and my humblest apologies if this has been discussed before. Feel free to post a snoozing icon and the link to the original thread for my entertainment if I am being redundant and not merely repugnant.

fmolf
07-07-2009, 05:09 PM
I have been on every side of this business, but the one thing that has remained constant has been my love for handicapping and passion for deciphering the puzzles.

But now, officially donning the hat of 'horseplayer' for a moment, since this point seems lost on people in other realms of the business - when are people going to demand that the racing publications that produce past performances designate horses that are racing with cornell collars?

I am not certain how many or which jurisdictions specifically allow their usage, but unless you buy an official program, horseplayers are left in the dark as to which horses are using this piece of equipment.

To my mind, the cornell collar is no less deserving on notation in the racing form than is Lasix usage, as most jurisdictions that allow the equipment require a process for its usage almost identical to that of going on or off of Lasix. You must demonstrate a need for its use to the track or State vet, often must work once using it to show its effectiveness, and then must submit a form documenting the intent to race using it.

The rules seem to have been relaxed somewhat, but as a device that is specifically geared to remedy a legitimate medical/veterinary problem (displacement of the palate), it seems that it warrants a place in the form if frigging front bandages (the ultimate red herring) get a mention.

In this world of horses going from one track to another, State to State, it might be worth being aware of the fact that HorseJohnSmith moved up ten legnths three starts ago when they put a cornell collar on and now he is racing in a State that doesn't allow the equipment, hence it is off. Of course, nobody has any way of knowing if it is on or off, because the information is never published other than as a footnote in the track's official program.

To make matters worse, a large percentage of the paddock judges around the globe probably couldn't differentiate one from a standard noseband/bridle anyway.

Rant over and my humblest apologies if this has been discussed before. Feel free to post a snoozing icon and the link to the original thread for my entertainment if I am being redundant and not merely repugnant.
I have never heard the term cornell collar but i am guessing it is something similar to a tongue tie?would you please clarify this for myself and anyone else interested in learning what this piece of equiptment really is.I would also like the form to denote any and all shoe changes for each race.As a person familiar with handicapping being in the game for the last 35 yrs I believe any equiptment changes to be very important.

johnhannibalsmith
07-07-2009, 05:24 PM
http://vet-aire.com/

That link can probably help you as much as I can with my circular way of typing out thoughts...

Essentially, it is a collar with a mechanism that aids in stabilizing part of the airway to avoid soft palate displacement. While a tongue tie's greatest asset is its ability to prevent a horse from getting its tongue over the bit (or if you believe the theory regarding swallowing the tongue...), the cornell collar actually helps to prevent or mitigate a legitimate medical condition that is reasonably common and often recurrent in particular athletes.

Those that have had horses that were chronic 'displacers' know what an obstacle it can be to overcome and its effect on performance is no less serious than is chronic bleeding.

While the verdict may not quite be in on how well the Cornell Collar actually remedies the problem in all cases, to have a device that has the potential to rectify the issue in a horse is no less beneficial than giving a bleeder an anti-bleeding medication.

I did the old google to find that link to the manufacturer and there were several other links that may be of interest.

I will say that the one thing that I did notice on some horses that tried the equipment for the first time - and this may be entirely coincidence or speculation based upon small sample sizes and selective recollection - is a tendency to break poorly in the 'C.C. ON' debut. Again, nothing concrete or a theory that I would go to the mats with, but I have factored it in on horses that had speed and tended to fade prior to trying the equipment. Elected to give the horse a look the first time rather than assume that good speed + better air = improved finish and then watch him break a length behind the field with no prior indicators of such a problem.

fmolf
07-07-2009, 05:35 PM
http://vet-aire.com/

That link can probably help you as much as I can with my circular way of typing out thoughts...

Essentially, it is a collar with a mechanism that aids in stabilizing part of the airway to avoid soft palate displacement. While a tongue tie's greatest asset is its ability to prevent a horse from getting its tongue over the bit (or if you believe the theory regarding swallowing the tongue...), the cornell collar actually helps to prevent or mitigate a legitimate medical condition that is reasonably common and often recurrent in particular athletes.

Those that have had horses that were chronic 'displacers' know what an obstacle it can be to overcome and its effect on performance is no less serious than is chronic bleeding.

While the verdict may not quite be in on how well the Cornell Collar actually remedies the problem in all cases, to have a device that has the potential to rectify the issue in a horse is no less beneficial than giving a bleeder an anti-bleeding medication.

I did the old google to find that link to the manufacturer and there were several other links that may be of interest.

I will say that the one thing that I did notice on some horses that tried the equipment for the first time - and this may be entirely coincidence or speculation based upon small sample sizes and selective recollection - is a tendency to break poorly in the 'C.C. ON' debut. Again, nothing concrete or a theory that I would go to the mats with, but I have factored it in on horses that had speed and tended to fade prior to trying the equipment. Elected to give the horse a look the first time rather than assume that good speed + better air = improved finish and then watch him break a length behind the field with no prior indicators of such a problem.
Thanks for the info very informative looks to be a device/bridle that holds a horses head in the most optimum position.

coach_lowe
07-07-2009, 06:04 PM
While you're at it, get the racing officials to alert the public when a horse is racing as a gelding for the first time. :rolleyes:

cj's dad
07-07-2009, 06:36 PM
While you're at it, get the racing officials to alert the public when a horse is racing as a gelding for the first time. :rolleyes:

What track do you attend that does not do that ??

fmolf
07-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Any piece of equiptment that a trainer thinks might help the horse perform,that he decides to use. should be reported the same way blinkers on/blinkers off is reported.

JWBurnie
07-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Use the PA Search... some great first-hand info on the collar.

Brogan
07-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Most of them.

I"m part of a small potatoes claiming stable and two of our last five claims had the sex of the animal misidentified. One was listed as a gelding and was actually a ridgling, the second was listed as a colt and was missing the part of his anatomy that would qualify him for that designation.

Brogan
07-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Any piece of equiptment that a trainer thinks might help the horse perform,that he decides to use. should be reported the same way blinkers on/blinkers off is reported.
Are you aware of the multitude of possible equipment configurations for a race horse???

fmolf
07-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Are you aware of the multitude of possible equipment configurations for a race horse???
certainly a different type bridal would qualify as a significant change,half cups to full cups,shadow rolls for the first time,first time tongue ties why not report these things in the same manner blinkers are reported.with tiny lower case letters somewhere in the pp's.with larger notations for on ...and off.

FUGITIVE77
07-08-2009, 03:50 AM
If you have access to such information why do you want to downgrade it's value but wanting everyone to have it. Just like the speed handicappers who made their own figures before Beyer and a hundred other examples. Having info not in the form is how you beat this game.

coach_lowe
07-08-2009, 02:49 PM

Let me clarify. I want a form designation or a symbol in the past performances that will let me know when a horse is racing as a gelding for the first time. I'm a simulcast spot player primarily, so I would like to have that information given to me rather than digging for it and it would not bother me that everybody has access to that info. However, there are several big tracks that don't alert the public to this change.