PDA

View Full Version : Ridgelings

cj's dad
07-06-2009, 10:55 AM
I believe it was Saturday when checking the scratches from Belmont that there were two listed in the same race as being "ridgelings", a male with an undescended testicle.

I don't remember seeing that designation before.

Would being a ridgeling have a negative effect on racing ability?

Why would NYRA feel it necessary to point that out. Is it considered a negative medical condition?

Help Joanie !

Dave Schwartz
07-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Only if you think being "half-gelded" is a disadvantage.

jotb
07-06-2009, 11:24 AM
A ridgling means he has one undescended testical. The undescended can hurt them and they don't learn as they should. Two ridgling's that comes to mine were A.P. INDY. and FUNNY CIDE.

Joe

cj's dad
07-06-2009, 11:27 AM
A ridgling means he has one undescended testical. It rarely causes a problem for a racehorse or stallion. Two ridgling's that comes to mine were A.P. INDY. and FUNNY CIDE.

Joe

Hi Joe,

A ridgeling has yet to be gelded, correct?

And if it causes no problem (and I trust your opinion here) then why list it under "changes" at the NYRA web site?

Funny Cide was gelded prior to racing as a 3year old , correct ?

jotb
07-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Funny Cide was gelded before he was 3. They gelded him because he was a ridgling.

OTM Al
07-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Hi Joe,

A ridgeling has yet to be gelded, correct?

And if it causes no problem (and I trust your opinion here) then why list it under "changes" at the NYRA web site?

Funny Cide was gelded prior to racing as a 3year old , correct ?

They don't have to be gelded. A.P. Indy certainly was not. It just depends on how it affects the horse, which can range from painful to no affect at all depending how the plumbing is tied up. Just falls under accuracy in reporting what condition the animal is in I guess.

As an aside, recently I read of a trotter who had been racing as a female. After a post race tox screen there were abnormally high levels of testosterone found. Trainer swore he wasn't giving steroids and as it turns out the horse was actually a male, but none of the genetalia had ever descended. He's reclassified as a male now and still allowed to race with no penalties imposed, but is classified that he can't breed, if such would even be fixable. The found another one like him with a very similar breeding, so they think it was a genetic abnormality.

joanied
07-06-2009, 12:44 PM
"As an aside, recently I read of a trotter who had been racing as a female. After a post race tox screen there were abnormally high levels of testosterone found. Trainer swore he wasn't giving steroids and as it turns out the horse was actually a male, but none of the genetalia had ever descended. He's reclassified as a male now and still allowed to race with no penalties imposed, but is classified that he can't breed, if such would even be fixable. The found another one like him with a very similar breeding, so they think it was a genetic abnormality."

OTMAl...now wait a minute...that sounds crazy to me...maybe this trotter's genetalia never descended...but he must have had a sheath..even a small one...how in hell did this trotter urinate :confused: :confused: :confused:

cj's dad
07-06-2009, 12:55 PM
"As an aside, recently I read of a trotter who had been racing as a female. After a post race tox screen there were abnormally high levels of testosterone found. Trainer swore he wasn't giving steroids and as it turns out the horse was actually a male, but none of the genetalia had ever descended. He's reclassified as a male now and still allowed to race with no penalties imposed, but is classified that he can't breed, if such would even be fixable. The found another one like him with a very similar breeding, so they think it was a genetic abnormality."

OTMAl...now wait a minute...that sounds crazy to me...maybe this trotter's genetalia never descended...but he must have had a sheath..even a small one...how in hell did this trotter urinate :confused: :confused: :confused:

I'm guessing standing up !:rolleyes:

macguy
07-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Why would NYRA feel it necessary to point that out. Is it considered a negative medical condition?

Ridgling (for racing purposes) is a type of sex a horse can be classified as.

Horses are usually one of the following.

Gelding - Castrated male of any age.
Colt - Male, 4 years or younger.
Horse - Male, 5 years or older.
Ridgling - Male, with an undescended testicle.

Filly - Female, 4 years or younger.
Mare - Female, 5 years or older.

Funny Cide was born (or rather matured into) a Ridgling, but had both testicles removed, and therefore raced as a gelding.

OTM Al
07-06-2009, 01:12 PM

The interesting case of Martha Maxine....

http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/news/6-16-09/martha-maxine-not-a-mare.html

matthewsiv
07-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Most ridgeling are castrated as it generally effects it's racing.

Sometimes they have to be operated on as the testicle is stuck way up near the stomach.

joanied
07-06-2009, 01:51 PM
I'm guessing standing up !:rolleyes:

:lol:

joanied
07-06-2009, 01:58 PM
The interesting case of Martha Maxine....

http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/news/6-16-09/martha-maxine-not-a-mare.html

Thanks for posting the story link...now it makes sense :faint: ...this trotter was racing as a female...so...she'd have no sheath:bang: :bang: :bang: in my own dufas way I saw:

"horse was actually a male, but none of the genetalia had ever descended."

I have no excuse:blush: as to why I got got confused :blush: ...maybe I've been working too hard out in the Sun and my brain isn't in full function mode:D

stu
07-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Cryptorchids often have fertility problems.

I would speculate history of denoting the condition stems from alert prospect buyers that the ability to breed is suspect.

Now in the era of steroid testing, the notation is important as the levels of testosterone allowed in ridgelings is larger than that of geldings. If a double ridgeling was classified as a gelding by mistake, he would test positive for hormone levels of his hidden organs.

The testes apparently can affect racing ability in all kinds of ways. We have a horse running at Colonial that races with "stud support" equipment.

Greyfox
07-07-2009, 08:46 AM
What a nutty subject.

Racetrack Playa
02-01-2014, 11:38 AM
What a nutty subject.
Aqu 10 Rigby tired in last finished 10th , comes back as a ridgling, Can you back this horse, I,m confused.any thoughts?

Tom
02-01-2014, 04:33 PM
What a nutty subject.
Only half so.

Saratoga_Mike
02-01-2014, 04:36 PM
Aqu 10 Rigby tired in last finished 10th , comes back as a ridgling, Can you back this horse, I,m confused.any thoughts?

He just wasn't classified properly in his prior race - they didn't change him a ridgling.

Racetrack Playa
02-01-2014, 04:50 PM
I went back many many races always a horse, I know what you are saying,I just thought it was strange.

Saratoga_Mike
02-01-2014, 04:56 PM
I went back many many races always a horse, I know what you are saying,I just thought it was strange.

I'd think they would know by now, but I know seasoned vets do miss this at yearling sales on occasion.

Market Mover
02-02-2014, 02:19 AM
Freedom Child a ridgling?

devilsbag
02-02-2014, 05:51 AM
Here's an older video which explains the topic in more detail:

CjVKUap1HgU