PDA

View Full Version : tail question

sally
07-04-2009, 01:43 PM
what does it mean when a horse's tail slaps up and down like Jet Tradition's did in today's 2nd race at Belmont during the stretch run? Is she a bet against next out?

Greyfox
07-04-2009, 03:19 PM
what does it mean when a horse's tail slaps up and down like Jet Tradition's did in today's 2nd race at Belmont during the stretch run? Is she a bet against next out?

I'm interested in the answer to that question as well as it happens frequently enough to several horses.
My first guess is that it is a body language signal to other horses to stay behind me. I've only noticed this phenomena on front running horses when they are tiring, but are still trying to signal dominance to the others.

Having said that, I've seen these tiring types go on to win. I've also seen other horses take over. So what is it:
a. A signal that I'm dominant here stay back
b. A signal that I'm tiring will someone come up and take over

Warren Henry
07-04-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm interested in the answer to that question as well as it happens frequently enough to several horses.
My first guess is that it is a body language signal to other horses to stay behind me. I've only noticed this phenomena on front running horses when they are tiring, but are still trying to signal dominance to the others.

Having said that, I've seen these tiring types go on to win. I've also seen other horses take over. So what is it:
a. A signal that I'm dominant here stay back
b. A signal that I'm tiring will someone come up and take over

Or is it an angry reaction. "Hey, I am trying as hard as I can, quit hitting me with that stick".

Or is it a reaction to the electric jolt that the jockey just applied to my neck - "WTF was that?!!!"

FenceBored
07-04-2009, 03:41 PM

Tail wringing means she's not happy about something. In this case it looks like she doesn't like being hit by the whip. Looking back at her earlier races, she's wrung her tail in her last three starts 2 wins and a third. Wouldn't think it necessarily means anything about her next out. Of course, she might decide she's had it with this guy whacking her, duck in and dump him.

Robert Goren
07-04-2009, 04:01 PM

Or is it a reaction to the electric jolt that the jockey just applied to my neck - "WTF was that?!!!" :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Citation1947
07-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Or is it a reaction to the electric jolt that the jockey just applied to my neck - "WTF was that?!!!"

Or the small semi-sharp nail being raked across the neck while the rider makes a buzzing sound.

"hmm I wonder how those six small two-inch long scratch marks on her neck got there pops?" :confused:

ezrabrooks
07-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Big time example....check out the front running winner in the 5th at Ruidosa today..

BIG49010
07-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Or is it an angry reaction. "Hey, I am trying as hard as I can, quit hitting me with that stick".

Best post of the month !:lol: :lol: :lol: