PDA

View Full Version : Photo finish problems on Churchill night card

rrbauer
07-03-2009, 04:45 PM
It's amazing to me that you have three stewards sitting on the finish line who collectively have seen tens of thousands of race finishes and they can't call the finish of the 7th race. The winner, #1, Mostbeautifulstorm, took the lead in upper stretch and maintained the lead to the wire winning by a long nose. The horse that ran 2nd, #4, Step Out Smartly, NEVER had its nose in front at any time, coming to the wire or at the wire. Calling that race a dead-heat is a travesty. What's also annoying is that I have not been able to find the P4 pool total on races 4-7 ($100K guaranteed pool which had only $55K in it with 2 minutes to bet) nor were the P4 payouts published in any of the charts or results that I've been able to find for that P4.

As to the other dead-heat race, the 9th, that one was very close and because both horses where "jumping" at the wire it is hard to determine at the precise finish line which one was in front.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/105182.html

cj
07-03-2009, 04:49 PM
It just never ends in this sport.

gemcity39
07-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Was this issue stated to the public as the reason for the declared dead heats? I watched HRTV's coverage and they said nothing about any malfunction. This just doen't make the public confident in racing's honesty. The 1 horse looked the winner the whole way in the 7th I agree.:confused:

rrbauer
07-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Was this issue stated to the public as the reason for the declared dead heats? I watched HRTV's coverage and they said nothing about any malfunction. This just doen't make the public confident in racing's honesty. The 1 horse looked the winner the whole way in the 7th I agree.:confused:

We get the story after the fact. And if the call on the 7th hadn't been so blatantly wrong to the point of being called into question we probably wouldn't have ever been told about the problem. Integrity in the pari-mutuel wagering system isn't the only thing that's suspect these days.