PDA

View Full Version : NFL Futures

NJ Stinks
07-03-2009, 12:49 PM
Having just made a couple plays last week, I figured I'd start a thread on NFL Futures. I'm interested in your thoughts on the subject - including your reasons for your selection(s). I'll start things off with my picks.

Suddenly I love the Arizona Cardinals! I put $50 on Arizona to win the NFC at 9-1 and another $50 on Arizona to win the Super Bowl at 20-1.

Four reasons for the Cardinals in no particular order:
1. Ken Whisenhunt seems like a good coach
2. Larry Fitzgerald
3. Warner/Lineart
4. The NFC West

FYI, here are some other notable Super Bowl Future lines courtesy of Harvey's in Lake Tahoe:

Pats 7/2 (current favorite opened at 7-1)
Steelers 6/1 (opened as 6/1 favorite)
Giants 7/1
Eagles 9/1
Cowboys 9/1
Chargers 9/1
Bears 9/1 (opened at 40-1)
Vikings 9/1 (opened at 20/1)
Ravens 15/1
Titans 16/1
Saints 18/1
Panthers 20/1 (opened at 12/1)
Dolphins 25/1
Texans 28/1
Broncos 30/1
Redskins 30/1
Jets 30/1
Bills 35/1
Bengals 45/1
Lions 70/1 (longest shot on the board opened at 200/1)

Quagmire
07-03-2009, 12:55 PM
The Saints look interesting at 18/1. The defense should be much improved under the new defensive coordinator, and the offense can out score just about any team.

eastie
07-03-2009, 03:12 PM
the pack is back

boomman
07-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Having just made a couple plays last week, I figured I'd start a thread on NFL Futures. I'm interested in your thoughts on the subject - including your reasons for your selection(s). I'll start things off with my picks.

Suddenly I love the Arizona Cardinals! I put $50 on Arizona to win the NFC at 9-1 and another $50 on Arizona to win the Super Bowl at 20-1.

Four reasons for the Cardinals in no particular order:
1. Ken Whisenhunt seems like a good coach
2. Larry Fitzgerald
3. Warner/Lineart
4. The NFC West

FYI, here are some other notable Super Bowl Future lines courtesy of Harvey's in Lake Tahoe:

Pats 7/2 (current favorite opened at 7-1)
Steelers 6/1 (opened as 6/1 favorite)
Giants 7/1
Eagles 9/1
Cowboys 9/1
Chargers 9/1
Bears 9/1 (opened at 40-1)
Vikings 9/1 (opened at 20/1)
Ravens 15/1
Titans 16/1
Saints 18/1
Panthers 20/1 (opened at 12/1)
Dolphins 25/1
Texans 28/1
Broncos 30/1
Redskins 30/1
Jets 30/1
Bills 35/1
Bengals 45/1
Lions 70/1 (longest shot on the board opened at 200/1)

A couple of observations: As an avid KC Chiefs fan, even though we're a couple of years away and have an absolutely brutal 2009 schedule, I really like what new GM Scott Pioli has been doing (just named NFL personnel man of the decade btw) and strongly feel we went from the worst general manager in the last 20 years of suffering under Carl Peterson to the best overnight, so we could have a stranglehold on the weak AFC west within just a few years. San Diego is the only real threat there with Denver going the wrong way, and the Raiders with absolutely no chance as long as Al Davis is in charge;) As for your Cardinals future bet, I really think they're going to be compromised having lost BOTH their offensive and defensive coordinators (Haley and Pendergast) to KC.........As for a great future bet (although I'm not sure of the price) I agree with Eastie, and I'm SURE the Pack is an overlay, and strongly feel that Aaron Rodgers is the most underrated QB in the NFL by FAR.....If their defense even shows up this year, they could go a very long way!!!!!!!!!:ThmbUp:

Boomer

newtothegame
07-03-2009, 07:38 PM
I too (although I must admit biased) am very intrigued by the SAINTS at 18-1. This offense has, and will stay with ANYONE in the league. The lieces that have been missing have been on defense. With a new coordinator, and a renewed spirit on defense, I think they can go deep into the playoffs. I have been to see our "new" team defense at a few of the OTA's. I can assure everyone that at this point, I think they will shock alot of people. EVERYONE is flying around. It speaks volumes when little bity jason david (cb) gets into it with one of the largest lineman lol. Funny as all hell, but what I took away from it was "attitude".
Think I will be tossing a bill or two down on them at 18-1
I am not a fan of the eagles. I think their offense has gotten younger at WR and will need time to gel. A few key losses on defense and I think they struggle to get to 8-8.
Dallas...although on paper the pieces seem to be in place, I need to see how the locker room handles adversity. Who really knows the damage T.O caused or didnt cause? I don't believe Romo's temperment is made to be in BIG D although a good QB.
The other team that I absolutely HATE but have to give them their credit is Chicago. The addition of Cuttler is huge. I can't even imagine how many rings this team may have had witrh just a decent QB over the last five or six years. Defense has kept them in most games only to play 3 and out on offense. Although I hate to admit it....I will be playing them as well in the future pools.
Saints and Bears for the money....Saints (heart string play) All the way!!!!!

NJ Stinks
07-03-2009, 08:25 PM
The Packers opened at 20/1 and are currently 18/1.

The Chiefs opened at 100/1 and are currently 45/1.

Marshall Bennett
07-03-2009, 09:45 PM
The Chiefs are better than 45/1 , they were a better team than their record indicated last year . They lost some close games . Don't sell them that short .

boomman
07-03-2009, 11:43 PM
The Chiefs are better than 45/1 , they were a better team than their record indicated last year . They lost some close games . Don't sell them that short .

Trust me Marshall as a die hard fan and season ticket holder before I left Kansas City, I definitely am not selling them short and know how many close games they lost last year that they easily could have won, including losing 2 games to San Diego by a COMBINED 2 points! However, I am a realist and their schedule this year is absolutely brutal starting on the road at Baltimore, and I think with all the young players they have, they'll probably need a couple of years to come together................;)

Boomer

singletax
07-04-2009, 12:35 AM
I prefer to look at some value plays for such a difficult bet. I assume the NFL is somewhat equalized after picking off the low hanging fruit like the Lions and Raiders. Bets that intrigue me are those with long odds on good or about to be good teams and have a pro QB. That would be the Ravens and the Texans. You get a little bang for your buck. The Ravens have attitude and Roethisberger has a good chance at not finishing the season getting slammed down continuously because of a weak offensive line. The Steelers are their main obstacle. The Texans have the talent and might break through this year.

Marshall Bennett
07-04-2009, 07:14 AM
The Texans have the talent and might break through this year.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

slewis
07-04-2009, 09:42 AM
If the owners of the Giants were to fire Coughlin, Id bet them at even money.

Most underacheiving coach in NFL history.

tribecaagent
07-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Didn't he win a super bowl?

Quagmire
07-04-2009, 10:16 AM

I thought that was Marty Schottenheimer.

cj's dad
07-04-2009, 11:52 AM
I prefer to look at some value plays for such a difficult bet. I assume the NFL is somewhat equalized after picking off the low hanging fruit like the Lions and Raiders. Bets that intrigue me are those with long odds on good or about to be good teams and have a pro QB. That would be the Ravens and the Texans. You get a little bang for your buck. The Ravens have attitude and Roethisberger has a good chance at not finishing the season getting slammed down continuously because of a weak offensive line. The Steelers are their main obstacle. The Texans have the talent and might break through this year.

Joe Flacco is about to replace Big Ben as the best QB in the East.

If Joe stays healthy the Ravens are a real threat; they played in the AFC championship game last year and at 15-1 are a team worth betting.

cj
07-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Joe Flacco is about to replace Big Ben as the best QB in the East.

If Joe stays healthy the Ravens are a real threat; they played in the AFC championship game last year and at 15-1 are a team worth betting.

Best QB in the East? Come on Pop, you've heard of that Brady guy I'm sure.

cj's dad
07-05-2009, 12:41 AM
Best QB in the East? Come on Pop, you've heard of that Brady guy I'm sure.

My bad- Brady's Pat's in the East division and Baltimore is in the North division -must be modern geography !!

ghostyapper
07-07-2009, 09:29 AM

Yea I guess winning a sb and building an expansion team into a perennial contender is really underachieving.

He's been to the playoffs 4 straight years with the giants. Not even the great parcells got them there 4 years in a row.

eastie
07-07-2009, 09:50 AM

underachieving is when you have talent to work with and don't win....like Norv Turner every year.
Tom groomed a hump like Eli Manning into a Super Bowl winning QB. I don't remeber any hall of famers except Steve Strachan playing for the giants. They pushed everyone around last year but it is tough to sustain momentum for the whole season plus the playoffs. They will me more focused this year on finishing strong, rather than being strong in the early to middle season.

cj's dad
07-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Don't you mean Michael Strahan ??

slewis
07-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Yea I guess winning a sb and building an expansion team into a perennial contender is really underachieving.

He's been to the playoffs 4 straight years with the giants. Not even the great parcells got them there 4 years in a row.

First, dont mention the name Bill Parcells in any kind of comparison with Coughlin.
That is a joke. What Parcells forgot last last Thursday evening about Pro-Football Coughlin hasn't learned yet.

Secondly, with the talent this team has and their ability to control the line of scrimmage, they are the biggest underachieving team in NFL history.

It comes down to coaching: Run the ball down the other teams throats. when the safety's and LB's have to play run to stop the run, you play fake and pass.
If you have the ability (and NO ONE DARE DENY THAT THE GIANTS DONT RUN THE BALL DOWN EVERYONE"S THROATS) to run and you cant come up with a winning offensive game plan... YOU SUCK as a coach....

Giants offense= lack of imagination=very predictable=losing in playoffs.

Give Parcells that team to coach and I GUARANTEE they win the Super Bowl for fun....

BTW... in case everyone forgot... They beat the Steelers IN PITT and the Cards IN ARIZONA... they were just outcoached in the playoffs.. case closed.

Quagmire
07-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Slewis the Giants didn't have any healthy receivers in the playoffs last year to take the pressure off the running game.

slewis
07-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Slewis the Giants didn't have any healthy receivers in the playoffs last year to take the pressure off the running game.

I am fully aware of how much Plaxico was missed..... He made even a predictable offense overwhealming and too difficult to defend.

That's my point... I say that even with what they had, they should have won the Super Bowl. I was calling to get rid of Coughlin several yrs ago. I would argue with fellow Giant (and Jet) fans/friends. I told them this was a Super Bowl calibur team (to which they would laugh at me).. and that you only have a "window" of 3 yrs or so when you have a SB calibur team to win it.
Ok, he won it... It saved his sorry ass because, if you remember, he would have been gone. Giant management is among the best in the NFL. They saw the talent this team had, even after Tiki Barber left. They gave Coughlin one more chance.
I mean come on, they bring one good running back in after another. Fresh and effective, and the offensive line blows teams away. Do you have any idea what that does to a defense, when they keep coming in with fresh guys so good? Look up what they did to the "mighty Ravens" at Giant stadium this year.
Ray Lewis who always brags about "his defense" being the best in NFL history, He must have not slept a wink after that week.
Other NFL coaches fantasize about having a talent like this guy has to coach.

ghostyapper
07-07-2009, 01:36 PM
First, dont mention the name Bill Parcells in any kind of comparison with Coughlin.
That is a joke. What Parcells forgot last last Thursday evening about Pro-Football Coughlin hasn't learned yet.

Secondly, with the talent this team has and their ability to control the line of scrimmage, they are the biggest underachieving team in NFL history.

It comes down to coaching: Run the ball down the other teams throats. when the safety's and LB's have to play run to stop the run, you play fake and pass.
If you have the ability (and NO ONE DARE DENY THAT THE GIANTS DONT RUN THE BALL DOWN EVERYONE"S THROATS) to run and you cant come up with a winning offensive game plan... YOU SUCK as a coach....

Give Parcells that team to coach and I GUARANTEE they win the Super Bowl for fun....

BTW... in case everyone forgot... They beat the Steelers IN PITT and the Cards IN ARIZONA... they were just outcoached in the playoffs.. case closed.

Kevin Gilbride is to blame for getting away from the run in the philly playoff game, not coughlin. And receivers were open that game but the $100 mill qb was not throwing to them.

And give me a break with parcells already. Yes he improves teams everywhere he goes but that's because they're so bad to begin with. The cowboys had equal talent to the giants the last 4-5 years and not only did they not win a superbowl, they failed to even win a playoff game under parcells.

You want to remember the glory parcells brought to the giants but I'm sure you don't want to remember some awful loses the giants suffered under him like against the rams in the 89 playoffs (a team that should have won the sb) or losing the jets in 88 to miss the playoffs

Parcells without belichick has ZERO playoff victories.

slewis
07-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Kevin Gilbride is to blame for getting away from the run in the philly playoff game, not coughlin. And receivers were open that game but the $100 mill qb was not throwing to them.

And give me a break with parcells already. Yes he improves teams everywhere he goes but that's because they're so bad to begin with. The cowboys had equal talent to the giants the last 4-5 years and not only did they not win a superbowl, they failed to even win a playoff game under parcells.

You want to remember the glory parcells brought to the giants but I'm sure you don't want to remember some awful loses the giants suffered under him like against the rams in the 89 playoffs (a team that should have won the sb) or losing the jets in 88 to miss the playoffs

Parcells without belichick has ZERO playoff victories.

Oh I remember the loss vs the Rams very well. They were an overconfident bunch and they paid the price. not taking anything away from that Rams team... they were good to go into Giant stadium and win.
Of course the next season they won the Super Bowl with a second string wide receiver turned QB..
As far as the Cowboys go.... take Romo away and they are a really bad team.
He doesn't get ENOUGH credit and I cant believe the fans turn on him.
He just tries to do too much with too little and eventually he makes mistakes.

If you believe that Belichick was the key to Parcells success, you're entitled to your opinion. I disagree. I do agree that of all the bad programs Parcells turned around, he had the least success (or underachieved) with the Cowboys... but maybe because the idiot owner was always meddling.

Anyway, thanks for this debate and good luck this season whoever you root for.:ThmbUp:

S.

sandpit
07-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Man, there is nothing better than reading these football discussions...I can hardly wait for the first of September.

I think you hit the nail on the head when it comes to management. The teams that come out consistently on top, like the Steelers, Giants, 49ers, etc., have been some of the best run teams. Then you have slugs like the Bengals and Lions who are woeful because of pitiful front office decisions. Even the best have their down times, but to be inept for long periods is ridiculous. If I was a Bengals season ticket holder, I'd demand my money back or they hire someone competent, which it looks like the Lions are at least trying to do.

These future wagers have to be about impossible to figure. I thought it was tough picking the Derby winner 3 months out, but a Super Bowl winner seven months away, oy vey :eek: !

eastie
07-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Don't you mean Michael Strahan ??

yeah that's the guy...the one with the bad B.O. on the commercials. The coaching job that Coughlin did to win the super bowl ,after where that team was at mentally after the Vikings game, was top notch.

Loserdave
07-11-2009, 07:54 AM
The Bears at 9-1 is hilarious. They should finish a distant third in their division. At the odds shown, I'd say Tennessee is the most interesting bet. They are a well coached physically abusive team. I didn't see the Falcons odds listed, but they are a good up and coming team that could surprise people.

RockHardTen1985
07-11-2009, 10:54 PM

Case closed on what ? Who cares who they beat in the regular seasson ? I certainly dont.
Lets also see them prove that they can still run the ball the same way. They did lose one of the big 3 running backs they had.

rastajenk
07-12-2009, 12:38 PM
I think in slewis' mind, the case is closed whenever he forms an opinion.

RockHardTen1985
07-12-2009, 10:34 PM
I think in slewis' mind, the case is closed whenever he forms an opinion.

Thats all good for him, but the Giants will be lucky to win the Division.

Quagmire
02-08-2010, 06:41 AM
The Saints look interesting at 18/1. The defense should be much improved under the new defensive coordinator, and the offense can out score just about any team.

Cha-ching

PaceAdvantage
02-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Nice call!