PDA

View Full Version : Artest To Sign With Lakers

Overlay
07-03-2009, 03:40 AM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/31716735/ns/sports-nba/

Note from a Pacers fan to Laker management: "You'll be sor-r-r-r-r-ry."

dav4463
07-03-2009, 05:38 AM
Why is it in the NBA that the Lakers and Celtics seem to be able to sign anyone they want at any time and are allowed to make trades that other teams never seem to be able to do? It's like the salary cap applies to everyone except the Lakers and Celtics.

Why can't Charlotte or Indiana ever sign a big name player?

The NBA is really top heavy. Next year, I think the only teams that can realistically compete for a championship will be the Lakers, Spurs, Celtics, and Cavaliers assuming all four are healthy at playoff time.

cmoore
07-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Why is it in the NBA that the Lakers and Celtics seem to be able to sign anyone they want at any time and are allowed to make trades that other teams never seem to be able to do? It's like the salary cap applies to everyone except the Lakers and Celtics.

Why can't Charlotte or Indiana ever sign a big name player?

The NBA is really top heavy. Next year, I think the only teams that can realistically compete for a championship will be the Lakers, Spurs, Celtics, and Cavaliers assuming all four are healthy at playoff time.

Each team is allotted one free agent signing even if they are over the salary cap..I think 6 million is the maximum amount per year..Artest actually took a pay cut to sign with the Lakers. I thought he would sign with my Cavaliers.:( The Lakers have lost Ariza and haven't signed Odom yet.

cj
07-03-2009, 02:10 PM
With a salary cap, the stars look to big markets so they can make more in endorsements I guess. Teams like San Antonio and Detroit have proven it can be done, and Cleveland could be next. New York has also proven being a big market isn't the be all and end all.

Valuist
07-04-2009, 12:10 AM
I like the move from the Lakers standpoint. I see direct parallels between this move and when the Bulls aquired Rodman. Look for the Lakers team D to be improved.

dav4463
07-25-2009, 12:49 AM
Ariza did a good job for LA last season. I think he will be missed. Artest is good, but will he fit in with the team chemistry?

I'm more excited about the Spurs signing Richard Jefferson and Antonio McDyess. With a healthy Ginobili (who is not playing summer ball this year) and the ever-steady Tim Duncan plus the most underrated point guard in the game..Tony Parker...I look for the Spurs to get back on top where they belong.

When healthy, the Spurs match up very well with LA.

Valuist
07-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Can you really consider Parker underrated? Isn't the consensus that he is the 2nd best point guard in the NBA?

dav4463
07-25-2009, 11:30 PM
Can you really consider Parker underrated? Isn't the consensus that he is the 2nd best point guard in the NBA?

I don't know. Everytime the talking heads on TV or the sports radio guys talk point guards, it's always Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Steve Nash and Chauncey Billups.....usually no mention of Parker.