PDA

View Full Version : good news......

proximity
07-02-2009, 09:34 AM
there's no drug problem in racing!!

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Bloodhorse/AllNews/~3/dIk7ThFt0Qs/viewstory.asp

apparently dr barker feels that 40% trainers and owners are just part of the natural order of things!!

and shepherdstown, wv?

not ironic at all that the conference was held just 10 minutes from perhaps the most infamous backstretch in racing. :rolleyes:

lamboguy
07-02-2009, 09:39 AM
i guess everyone needs a good laugh in the morning

i have a 2 yo that i sent to the track a few weeks ago. i told the trainer not to work the horse for speed and i don't want lasix.

it didn't take this guy 3 minutes to call me after the horse worked to beg me to get the horse on the bleeders list. he said with the lasix we will have a better shot at winning first out.

these trainers rely on drugs to do the training these days.

how come horses ran for years and years before all these miracle drugs and lasted alot longer than today's horses and ran more frequently?

bcgreg
07-02-2009, 10:06 AM
What is your opinion of this finding:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/51433/study-shows-furosemide-has-beneficial-effects

bcgreg

kenwoodallpromos
07-02-2009, 11:11 AM
What is your opinion of this finding:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/51433/study-shows-furosemide-has-beneficial-effects

bcgreg
Study results showed very few stallions or colts were used; all races less than 1 mile; All horses NW1L ITM 2-3 times out of 10-12 races; about 10% of these 75% non-ITM's got moderate to severe bleeding on placebo (based not just on dripping blood from the nose, but EVERY horse was scoped!)
As far as I am concerned, there is no need for 92% of US runners to have Salix/Lasix and this study proves it!
My biggest question is, with all the money in racing being the stud fee for stallions, why did few owners want their studs running without Lasix? Was it because they wanted every performance-enhancing advantage in every race?

takeout
07-02-2009, 11:35 AM
and shepherdstown, wv?

not ironic at all that the conference was held just 10 minutes from perhaps the most infamous backstretch in racing. :rolleyes:
:lol:
They must be taking a lesson from the boys at Goldman Sachs.
I’m certainly glad to hear there’s no drug problem in racing. I was a little worried there for awhile.

macguy
07-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Great book that I recently read about the use of Lasix in Racehorses...

http://www.horseinfo.com/cart/runbabyrun.html

"Run, Baby, Run"

Really good book, lots of food for thought. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Relwob Owner
07-02-2009, 12:00 PM
there's no drug problem in racing!!

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Bloodhorse/AllNews/~3/dIk7ThFt0Qs/viewstory.asp

apparently dr barker feels that 40% trainers and owners are just part of the natural order of things!!

and shepherdstown, wv?

Man, did you hit the nail on the head...great post and great thoughts....as I head to the rest of my day, I can count on continuously chuckling at his quote in the article "This industry does not have a drug problem"....

slew101
07-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Kinda like the NFL's report a few years ago that only 10 percent of people that watch NFL games actually wager on them.

Beano Cook had the best line to that stat: "They all live on my street."

joanied
07-02-2009, 02:38 PM
i guess everyone needs a good laugh in the morning

i have a 2 yo that i sent to the track a few weeks ago. i told the trainer not to work the horse for speed and i don't want lasix.

it didn't take this guy 3 minutes to call me after the horse worked to beg me to get the horse on the bleeders list. he said with the lasix we will have a better shot at winning first out.

these trainers rely on drugs to do the training these days.

how come horses ran for years and years before all these miracle drugs and lasted alot longer than today's horses and ran more frequently?

lambo....hope you didn't tell yout trainer to go ahead wih the Lasix (none of my business...but had to say it)... and does every horse have to win first time out?

Excellent post...and a great question to ponder...that horses ran for ages without drugs...sorta gives the answer within the question, don't it...they ran more often and stayed around longer because there were no drugs...and also because it was more important for owners to win races than get that colt into the breeding shed.

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: lamboguy!!

Cat Thief
07-03-2009, 11:33 AM
It is really puzzling how these horses did without Lasix and running every week sometimes. I guess the only explanation is they were not babied. People also had to live without alot of the drugs they take today and I sometimes wonder if we aren't poisoning our bodies with some of this medicine prescribed.

macguy
07-03-2009, 11:48 AM
It is really puzzling how these horses did without Lasix and running every week sometimes. I guess the only explanation is they were not babied. People also had to live without a lot of the drugs they take today and I sometimes wonder if we aren't poisoning our bodies with some of this medicine prescribed.

You really have to wonder if we're poisoning our bodies these days?

There's no doubt in my mind that drugs are overused and over-prescribed today in both humans and horses. The drug reps/sales people have done an excellent job over the last few decades.

Don't even get me started on antibiotics. :faint:

Cangamble
07-03-2009, 04:36 PM
http://www.gallopfrance.com/blog/2009/07/01/about-that-lasix-study/

proximity
07-04-2009, 04:15 AM
well friends, yet another hbpa summer convention has come and gone.:(

but don't despair!! next summer will be here before we know it!! and what a convention i'm sure that will be!!

until then.... more takeout!!....more breakage!!.....more drugs!!..... more past posting!!..... more polypeta tracks!!.....more slots revenues!!.... and last, but certainly not least..... MORE SUPERTRAINERS!! :jump: :jump: :jump:

DanG
07-04-2009, 08:25 AM
horses ran for ages without drugs...sorta gives the answer within the question, don't it...they ran more often and stayed around longer because there were no drugs.

Joanied; I hate to pick out one thought and run with it, but since your so respected I need a jumping off point for this ramble.

The most experienced player I know (were not sure; he may be late 80’s; low 90’s.) said they have been drugging race horses for as long as he can remember. Cocaine was being used in the 1930’s and he claims the big difference now a days is cheats understand the “correct” :rolleyes: dosage to use / how to mask its appearance and the use of undetectable designer drugs.

Steroids (imo) do speak to your point of durability as the equine skeleton hasn’t kept pace with the power and muscle mass we have artificially given it. That’s a whole other issue; but the pure “drugging” of race horses in some form has been going on probably as long as wagering has been involved.

BTW-I: This is in no way excusing the despicable act of drugging defenseless animals / defrauding the betting public and something I rarely see mentioned in a culture that so often resents jockeys; literally risking the life of someone’s spouse / parent / child who is riding them.

BTW-II: It should be very interesting to see the Kentucky shipper into Saratoga this year as their drug testing program has changed drastically (for the better) since last year. A quick glance at some of their trainer stats reveals some interesting changes.

BTW-III: With all the justifiable frustration players exhibit I feel were making strides concerning our sport. From people as caring as Joanied I’ve heard more frank discussions concerning drugs, surfaces, impact of take-out / rebates, past posting, ‘pear shaped’ teletimers (that’s for you Doug ;) ), slot impact, night racing, computer capping and of course…bad rides in the past two years then I heard he previous 40 combined.

Thanks to forums like this; HANA and people willing to speak out its how things improve over time in an industry that is very resistant to change. (BTW: every time I say our industry is very “resistant to change” I feel like I should add a disclaimer…so are the players as a rule imo.)

Valuist
07-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Joanied; I hate to pick out one thought and run with it, but since your so respected I need a jumping off point for this ramble.

The most experienced player I know (were not sure; he may be late 80’s; low 90’s.) said they have been drugging race horses for as long as he can remember. Cocaine was being used in the 1930’s and he claims the big difference now a days is cheats understand the “correct” :rolleyes: dosage to use / how to mask its appearance and the use of undetectable designer drugs.

Steroids (imo) do speak to your point of durability as the equine skeleton hasn’t kept pace with the power and muscle mass we have artificially given it. That’s a whole other issue; but the pure “drugging” of race horses in some form has been going on probably as long as wagering has been involved.

BTW-I: This is in no way excusing the despicable act of drugging defenseless animals / defrauding the betting public and something I rarely see mentioned in a culture that so often resents jockeys; literally risking the life of someone’s spouse / parent / child who is riding them.

BTW-II: It should be very interesting to see the Kentucky shipper into Saratoga this year as their drug testing program has changed drastically (for the better) since last year. A quick glance at some of their trainer stats reveals some interesting changes.

BTW-III: With all the justifiable frustration players exhibit I feel were making strides concerning our sport. From people as caring as Joanied I’ve heard more frank discussions concerning drugs, surfaces, impact of take-out / rebates, past posting, ‘pear shaped’ teletimers (that’s for you Doug ;) ), slot impact, night racing, computer capping and of course…bad rides in the past two years then I heard he previous 40 combined.

Thanks to forums like this; HANA and people willing to speak out its how things improve over time in an industry that is very resistant to change. (BTW: every time I say our industry is very “resistant to change” I feel like I should add a disclaimer…so are the players as a rule imo.)

Dan-

Do we know for a fact its changed? About 4-5 years ago, we were told KY was toughening up on drugs. Apparently they did.....for about 2 weeks. Then after that, it was basically forgotten because too many trainers objected.

DanG
07-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Dan-

Do we know for a fact its changed? About 4-5 years ago, we were told KY was toughening up on drugs. Apparently they did.....for about 2 weeks. Then after that, it was basically forgotten because too many trainers objected.
I have a hard time associating the word “fact” in any regard concerning the slippery slope of drugs Valuist; so “fact”, no…I’m just repeating what has been told to me by people I trust and combining the reported policy change with certain trainer information.

I realize some roll their eyes when they are mentioned, but Thoro-Graph and Jerry Brown have had extensive discussions with industry officials regarding testing and they have also stated Kentucky and California in particular have made great strides. (Many, many posts on their board concerning this issue btw)