PDA

View Full Version : NYSE cuts trade time to 5 milliseconds

rrbauer
07-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Article in today's (July 2) WSJ indicates that the New York Stock Exchange has upgraded its network so that buy-sell orders can be matched and executed in 5 milliseconds (.005 seconds). That's an upgrade from the previously "slow" 105 milliseconds. Kind of makes all of the tote companies, etc., BS about their inabilities to make the pari-mutuel network faster, a lot of deep doo-doo.

http://www.finextra.com/fullpr.asp?id=28417

DJofSD
07-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Rich, working in the IT field, I always find these announcements interesting. But I also know to take them with a grain of salt. Not having read the article, I would assume the NYSE is measuring some internal part of the trading system and there is a large caveat about the network response time for users outside the system and network.

The current tote system used by the different racing venues belongs in a scrap heap. Wouldn't it be nice if the tote systems could be migrated to either the NASD or NYSE computer systems.

rrbauer
07-02-2009, 12:04 PM
The current tote system used by the different racing venues belongs in a scrap heap. Wouldn't it be nice if the tote systems could be migrated to either the NASD or NYSE computer systems.

There are a couple electronic trading systems that are even faster, NASDAQ being one of them. As far as racing's PM network, the only thing that you can take with a grain of salt is the odds on the board when the races starts.