PDA

View Full Version : Best quote I heart when at Hol

CBedo
07-02-2009, 12:18 AM
I was second in line at a cashier waiting to make a bet. There was an elderly man in front of me and a woman in front of him trying to make a bet. She kept changing her numbers, changing the amounts, and kept asking what the cashier thought as she stared at her program and the tv monitor above her. At one point, she even started telling the cashier about her children and their ages and how she should play their ages.

The gentleman in front of me finally stepped up, tapped her and the shoulder and calmly asked "what the F@*& are you doing? Making a sandwich? This is not f$%*ing social hour!"

The lady was so surprised, she left her program and two twenty dollar bills at the cage and stormed off.

The rest of the weekend, that was the quote used at every opportunity: "What are you doing? making a sandwich!"

Bison
07-02-2009, 12:58 AM
That's funny. This woman got what she deserved. Far too many people dilly daddle at the wickets.

MNslappy
07-02-2009, 01:47 AM
That's funny. This woman got what she deserved. Far too many people dilly daddle at the wickets.

On the one hand, it's extremely annoying and makes you want to jam red hot pokers in your eyes and tear your hair out.....

On the other hand, I don't mind taking her money, without her it'd only be us beating the hell out of each other day in and day out...

kenwoodallpromos
07-02-2009, 01:47 AM
That explains why not many @#$&$&#^^ women help feed the handle but play slots instead!!

CBedo
07-02-2009, 02:03 AM
On the one hand, it's extremely annoying and makes you want to jam red hot pokers in your eyes and tear your hair out.....

On the other hand, I don't mind taking her money, without her it'd only be us beating the hell out of each other day in and day out...I think I said this in another thread (maybe my trip report?). Sitting at home every day betting horses is a solitary endeavor for the most part. Computers, TVs, and me. Add on top of that that I come here and listen to smart people talk about racing all the time (but we are a cynical bunch), and some times when you hit a tough patch, you might begin to think "it can't be beat; it's just gotten too tough," but just go to the track and you get reinvigorated. One, live racing is just fun. Meeting and talking to people at the track is always interesting. And two, you see the other bettors. You see the numbers players, the lottery superfecta players, the thousands of filled out small pick 6 tickets (at least in California), the guys touting their five star plays, the same guys asking to borrow money later in the day.

Bottom line, is you see that even though they might not be the majority of the pool, their money is in the pool for you to get....and it's achievable!

Bruddah
07-02-2009, 03:14 AM
Sorry, but I think the man was far less than a gentleman. He need not talk to any woman in that manor. If it were his wife, mother or daughter, he's probably the type to go off the deep end and gone looking for a gun. I know if it were my wife, mother or daughter and he spoke to them in that manor, I would have stopped short of using a gun. However, a machette may have been an appropriate response to his rude behaviour.

Seriously, all he need say was, pardon me mam but we need to place our bets too and you are holding up the line. No need for cursing her. Some one needed to call him to task and I'm suprised at the reaction by some of you. :mad:

alytim
07-02-2009, 08:12 AM
Well said Bruddah. At my otb there are several tools that seem to believe the world will stop spinning if they can't get their three dollar exacta box in right at post time.

kenwoodallpromos
07-02-2009, 10:25 AM
"At one point, she even started telling the cashier about her children and their ages and how she should play their ages."
To me sounds like a woman who normally plays the lottery trying horseracing. I wonder if it was at one of thse slots track... Who do you think she will tell about her experience- Fellow bingo or slots players?
I'm glad the teller had patience!
I'm surprised all the old timers do not just use the machines or there is not a newbie window.

Bison
07-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Well said Bruddah. At my otb there are several tools that seem to believe the world will stop spinning if they can't get their three dollar exacta box in right at post time.

I don't think the man had to be rude with the woman, but he had to let her know what she was doing was wrong. Whether the bet is $2 or $300, no one deserves to be shut out because someone is socializing at the wicket.

fmolf
07-02-2009, 02:42 PM
I don't think the man had to be rude with the woman, but he had to let her know what she was doing was wrong. Whether the bet is $2 or $300, no one deserves to be shut out because someone is socializing at the wicket.
their are points well taken on both sides.Tools like this fellow are the reason why i have to play all my wifes numbers for her on the rare occasion she accompanies me to the track.This is not the way to win over new fans.He is probably a racetrack executive in charge of customer service! :lol:

Bison
07-02-2009, 02:47 PM
their are points well taken on both sides.Tools like this fellow are the reason why i have to play all my wifes numbers for her on the rare occasion she accompanies me to the track.This is not the way to win over new fans.He is probably a racetrack executive in charge of customer service! :lol:

Do you not see how the woman standing at the wicket socializing was being very rude in her own way? She had to know people were waiting.

joanied
07-02-2009, 03:29 PM
The gentleman in front of me finally stepped up, tapped her and the shoulder and calmly asked "what the F@*& are you doing? Making a sandwich? This is not f$%*ing social hour!"

Just the sort of thing that will make that woman want to go back to the race track:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ....
that guy had no class...usually, being polite will get ya more than being rude and classless.

CincyHorseplayer
07-02-2009, 03:31 PM
This is why they invented stun guns;)

rastajenk
07-02-2009, 03:35 PM
It's also how the forearm evolved into an effective people mover. :)

InsideThePylons-MW
07-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Last week at Hol, a guy in the upper club restroom behind the boxes said....There are more urinals in here than people on this floor.....he was right....there must have been 100 of them in there.

Mineshaft
07-02-2009, 05:55 PM
When im 4 deep in line and the person at the window is taking his/her time i always say "You cant bet every horse" Then i get all kinds of stares from other people and it usually speeds up the betting.

Jay Trotter
07-02-2009, 06:32 PM
I think we're missing the point of CBedo's post....

He's standing in line and out of the blue he hears:
"what the F@*& are you doing? Making a sandwich? This is not f$%*ing social hour!"

Maybe it's rude but it struck him as funny, so funny in fact he spent the rest of the day using that line every chance he got! I can see the humor in that.

On a side note, if I take my wife golfing I don't just set her loose on the course, I teach her the proper etiquette and how to maintain the pace of play so that she isn't affecting the players behind her. With just a little instuction she has never held up anyone. Now, on the other hand I've come across many groups of women (and men for that matter) where I wish I had come up with the line: "what the F@*& are you doing? Making a sandwich? This is not f$%*ing social hour!" :lol:

I don't think the comment has anything to do with the number of players who are attracted to the game. It has to do with people being oblivous to others around them.

Just my two cents!!!