PDA

View Full Version : Another policy flip flop

ArlJim78
07-01-2009, 10:45 PM
The number of campaign pledges broken and policy revisions are too many to recount them all. A good rule of thumb is that they will do the opposite of what they say.

First, the campaign commercial mocks McCains plan to tax health benefits and cut medicare

7l8ZOMd468o

less than a year later and they're embracing the very same idea (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/13/AR2009061301044.html).
__________________________________________________ __

Trims to Medicare, Medicaid Are Proposed to Help Fund Reform

By Lori Montgomery and Scott Wilson
Washington Post Staff Writers
Sunday, June 14, 2009

President Obama yesterday outlined measures to trim spending on federal health programs for the elderly and the poor by an additional $313 billion over the next decade, bringing his total proposed savings close to the amount necessary to cover the cost of his signature health-care plan, a top adviser said.

Valuist
07-01-2009, 11:01 PM
I can't tell if Obama is flip-flopping because the only word I heard him say during the campaign was "change". Its still amazing how a candidate could win a primary, let alone general election, without discussing issues.

sammy the sage
07-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Name me ONE politician in HISTORY...who hasnt done the SAME thing...ONE...

at ANY level...city, county, state...

YEah...I thought so... :lol: :D

Valuist
07-01-2009, 11:29 PM
I assume you are referring to Jim's post. I've never seen a candidate elected who said so little.

newtothegame
07-01-2009, 11:54 PM

So you attempt to justify THIS administration with the failures of past administrations??
I thought Obama wanted to distance himself from past administrations? What was I thinking????:bang:

ArlJim78
07-02-2009, 07:21 AM

i can't think of any candidate who dumped so many major promises so quickly. we're not even six months in and the only major promise he kept so far was to protect and expand abortion.

his biggest promise, the centerpiece of his campaign, was to not raise taxes even one dime on anyone making less than $250,000. haha, this one is already violated, and more taxes are on the way.

if he were my candidate, someone I had supported, I would be totally po'd, LIVID! but you don't hear anything. it's like either his supporters don't understand they were lied to, or don't care.

jballscalls
07-02-2009, 10:50 AM
anyone that believes any of those commercials or pre election promises should be smacked in the head.

of course obama is going to lie about everything, he's a politician.

"Read my lips, no new taxes"
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman"
"Mission Accomplished"

People that voted for obama are getting change, thats for sure :bang:

Tom
07-02-2009, 11:35 AM
Seriously, I feel sorry for the left - they have so little to celebrate after all those years of trying. Obambi is an embarrassment and a failure and they have no one to blame anymore.:lol::lol:

Secretariat
07-02-2009, 12:28 PM
I am also dissapointed in Obama, though not for most of the arguments presented by the radical right on this board. I'm primarily dissapointed because Obama has fulfulled a centrist agenda and has done little to reverse much of the GW mess.

1. His foreign policy is pretty much more of the same. Yes, it's escalation in Afghanistan, and a very, very slow withdrawal from Iraq. I would have preferred a much faster departure there especially since our dollars are helping provide Iraqi's with government healthcare now. When one looks at the dollars lost there and the fact that people cheer when we leave cities such as Kirkuk it seems we've won few hearts and minds there.

2. Geitner has pretty much embraced the same disastrous economic policies of Paulsen and Bush. More money down the rabbit hole while CEO's and fat cats get rich, and absoltuely no accountability for those who got us in this mess in the first place.

3. Waffling on the public option on healthcare. Posters on this board really go after Obama on this, but his suggestion is so watered down compared to more progressive recommendations on health care.

4. Lack of transparency seemingly embracing the private white house closed door policy of Bush. Even Helen Thomas called him out on it the other day.

5. Lack of prosecutions by the Justice Department for torture and holding people accountable for it.

6. Failure to push for a repeal of NAFTA and CAFTA bad foreign trade agreements. Labor went big for Obama in the vote and he has tended to ignore their concerns and liek a Republican continually ignore labor issues and side with big corporations as Bush did.

7. Positives - stem cell research finally and some slow but positive moves toward environmental concerns.

I expected Obama to be closer to the center on things than I like as he is certainly not a progressive, but I had hoped he'd be embracing less of the Bush disastrous agenda. I realized that the economy mess he inherited from Bush was going to be bad for awhile, but i had hoped for some different solutions than the same Paulsen stuff. somebody like Stiglitz would have been a better Treasury Secretary than Geitner. Not that impressed with the team he assembled under him.

Overall I give him a grade of C-. C for Centrist and - for not pushing for true change. I find it amusing that some posters on this board are primarily complaining about some of Obama's policies which pretty much mirror many of GW's policies. Frankly, I'd like to see Obama grow a pair, stop being a Republican sympathizer, say the hell with the pretense of bi-partisanship (Republicans won't support anything Democratic anyway) and work towards passing a true progressive agenda. I'd also like to see Harry Reid grow a pair and work towards changing the senate rules on cloture. He could do it, but lacks the guts to do so. He shoudl be replaced. Pelosi is hot for her age, so I'll put up with her for awhile longer.

boxcar
07-02-2009, 12:45 PM
I am also dissapointed in Obama, though not for most of the arguments presented by the radical right on this board. I'm primarily dissapointed because Obama has fulfulled a centrist agenda and has done little to reverse much of the GW mess.

1. His foreign policy is pretty much more of the same. Yes, it's escalation in Afghanistan, and a very, very slow withdrawal from Iraq. I would have preferred a much faster departure there especially since our dollars are helping provide Iraqi's with government healthcare now. When one looks at the dollars lost there and the fact that people cheer when we leave cities such as Kirkuk it seems we've won few hearts and minds there.

2. Geitner has pretty much embraced the same disastrous economic policies of Paulsen and Bush. More money down the rabbit hole while CEO's and fat cats get rich, and absoltuely no accountability for those who got us in this mess in the first place.

3. Waffling on the public option on healthcare. Posters on this board really go after Obama on this, but his suggestion is so watered down compared to more progressive recommendations on health care.

4. Lack of transparency seemingly embracing the private white house closed door policy of Bush. Even Helen Thomas called him out on it the other day.

5. Lack of prosecutions by the Justice Department for torture and holding people accountable for it.

6. Failure to push for a repeal of NAFTA and CAFTA bad foreign trade agreements. Labor went big for Obama in the vote and he has tended to ignore their concerns and liek a Republican continually ignore labor issues and side with big corporations as Bush did.

7. Positives - stem cell research finally and some slow but positive moves toward environmental concerns.

I expected Obama to be closer to the center on things than I like as he is certainly not a progressive, but I had hoped he'd be embracing less of the Bush disastrous agenda. I realized that the economy mess he inherited from Bush was going to be bad for awhile, but i had hoped for some different solutions than the same Paulsen stuff. somebody like Stiglitz would have been a better Treasury Secretary than Geitner. Not that impressed with the team he assembled under him.

Overall I give him a grade of C-. C for Centrist and - for not pushing for true change. I find it amusing that some posters on this board are primarily complaining about some of Obama's policies which pretty much mirror many of GW's policies. Frankly, I'd like to see Obama grow a pair, stop being a Republican sympathizer, say the hell with the pretense of bi-partisanship (Republicans won't support anything Democratic anyway) and work towards passing a true progressive agenda. I'd also like to see Harry Reid grow a pair and work towards changing the senate rules on cloture. He could do it, but lacks the guts to do so. He shoudl be replaced. Pelosi is hot for her age, so I'll put up with her for awhile longer.

:lol: :lol: :lol: You are utterly ridiculous, Sec. Why did you vote for a known "centrist" who promised soooooooo much "change"? You know -- real change that radical leftwingers like yourself crave for? Why did you expect a "centrist" to fulfill your extremist desires?

Since you obviously are suffering from buyer's remorse, why don't you package your little darlin' messiah back up and return him to the D.C. service counter for a refund? Tell 'em you've changed your mind and you want a McCain doll instead. :lol: :lol:

Boxcar

Tom
07-02-2009, 01:16 PM
I give an F2......Frigging Failurec:lol:

JustRalph
07-02-2009, 02:03 PM
I thought it would take at least a year for them to turn on this idiot.

Looks like 6-8 mths............ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey Sec............. you think you were double crossed.........?

How do you think this chick feels........

P36x8rTb3jI

Valuist
07-02-2009, 06:13 PM
anyone that believes any of those commercials or pre election promises should be smacked in the head.

of course obama is going to lie about everything, he's a politician.

"Read my lips, no new taxes"
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman"
"Mission Accomplished"

People that voted for obama are getting change, thats for sure :bang:

Anyone who would vote for a candidate who takes no stands should be smacked. He didn't win on his own merit. He won because of anti-Bush sentiment and many just associated McCain with him. How he beat Hillary in the primary is still a mystery. I guess she was seen as more of the same.

iRNA
07-02-2009, 07:27 PM

Reading the science press does not look like it is that positive.

slewis
07-02-2009, 07:32 PM
I give an F2......Frigging Failurec:lol:

And only 7 1/2 years of failure to go!!!

iRNA
07-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Anyone who would vote for a candidate who takes no stands should be smacked. He didn't win on his own merit. He won because of anti-Bush sentiment and many just associated McCain with him. How he beat Hillary in the primary is still a mystery. I guess she was seen as more of the same.

We should be required to vote on the issues and not the candidates. So when voting, require everyone to list where their chosen candidate stands on various issues. If not right on at least 50% of the issues, then that vote does not count.

NJ Stinks
07-02-2009, 09:51 PM

Risking Boxcar's scorn, and except for #5 above, I agree with you, Secretariat. :ThmbUp:

(I believe we should just move on - people did what they thought was right at the time. It's not like Cheney woke up one morning and said: "Damn. I feel like torturing somebody today.")

Secretariat
07-02-2009, 11:27 PM

I didn't vote for Obama in the primary, and if you read my posts during the general election, you'd see I debated whether it might not be better to have McCain voted in as he'd be blamed for the economic mess set up by Bush that was simply unavoidable to escape for either candidate. I made the decision to give my vote to Obama late, primarlily due to McCain's selection of Palin and with McCain's health, I thought was a serious danger to the country in terms of foreign policy if she ever became President. The woman is way too trigger happy for me, sounded absolutely an idiot when questioned by reporters and sounded almost too eager for more war.

That said, what I feared on the economic front has come home to roost. I am not surprised there, just I wish Obama had chosen a more Progressive Treasury Secretary like Stiglitz, rather than Paulsen lite.

Not a fan of Politco, but this allows one to examine his campaign promise thus far. I think Obama took plenty of stands. They're listed on this site.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/

I beleive he won because of anti-Bush sentiment and many just associated McCain with him, but also becasue the man is a dynamic speaker in a packed arena. You;ve got to give him that. I never got caught up in the sloganism, and realized that his policies were more centrist than I prefer.

I beleive McCain beat himself in this election as well. Divisive running mate, poor debate performances, "THe economy is strong" statement as it was crumbling within a week. Again, though whoever inhereited GW's economic armageddon - Dem or Repub- had a disaster on thier hands.

That said. Obama won, and I am hoping that Bernake is right and this will turn around later this year or early next. Frankly, I don't see it. The fundamentals are simply too weak, and this country just doesn't make a
damn thing anymore.

Hilary is also too divisive. I think Dean could have beaten her if he had run this past year as well. Had Dean made healthcare his centerpiece I think he could have been the Dem nominee over OBama, but it was hard to overcome the first African-American, his great style in crowds, and his sense of ease.

I'm not throwing in the towel on him and won't defend him to the bitter end like some of the far right did of GW (and still do). He's got to prove himself further and right now he's on the fence.

Next election, I may again vote for a different Dem in the primary, who knows? Too early.