PDA

View Full Version : Borel off Mine That Bird

MickJ26
07-01-2009, 12:15 PM
According to Marty McGee on drf.com looks like Calvin Borel and the Mine That Bird have made an amicable split because Borel can't make any long term commitments. It'll probably be a Kentucky based rider to take over.

W2G
07-01-2009, 01:06 PM
There were some indications that Leparoux may have been lined up to replace Borel on MTB in the Belmont had RA started.

Leparoux would fit MTB quite well, but a firm commitment could be problematic with Einstein eyeing the BC Classic as well.

point given
07-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Smith may get a call back or maybe I'd go for Bejarano, Prado or Castellano all money riders. This horse and connections get no respect, amazing with the Derby winner and a gelding at that.

MickJ26
07-01-2009, 01:32 PM
What about Dominguez or Coa?
As far as I know, they don't have any BC Classic commitments.

point given
07-01-2009, 01:43 PM
What about Dominguez or Coa?
As far as I know, they don't have any BC Classic commitments.

Castellano had Ghostzapper, Prado is a good positional big race jock, and Bejarno is very talented and is west coast based for the BC. I'd say the owners would want a 3 race committment now for W.Virginia, Saratoga and BC

Robert Goren
07-01-2009, 03:03 PM
What took them so long?

Grits
07-01-2009, 03:44 PM
I'd like to see Dominguez on Bird. I'd also like to see Bird win the 5 mil BC Classic. Gutsy guy that he is, still, unfortunately he gets no respect.

Calvin will be riding at Saratoga; this should all be pretty interesting.

DaylightDies
07-01-2009, 08:10 PM
I would love to see Smith... but I don't think they will go that route-

I doubt Zenyatta would go in the BC Classic, but if she does, there goes their jockey again-

ghostyapper
07-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Has anyone told borel that MTB is a gelding? He just gave away a cash cow for the next 2-3 years. I hope they never let him on MTB again.

alytim
07-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Calvin chose the faster mount, usually a sound strategy. Riding for Jackson and Asmussen is another sound strategy.

Relwob Owner
07-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Calvin chose the faster mount, usually a sound strategy. Riding for Jackson and Asmussen is another sound strategy.

I was under the impression that it had more to do with a conflict regarding Warrior's Reward and a commitment given to him in the Jim Dandy(same day as the WVA Derby) and maybe races beyong that. I dont believe it was a case of him specifically choosing Rachel Alexandra over MTB, which is, I believe is what you are referring to when you say he chose the faster mount....I could be wrong and also, maybe you are referring to his past decisions?

WinterTriangle
07-02-2009, 12:15 AM
I'd like to see Dominguez on Bird.

That would be my vote.

Or Berajano.

I think there are jocks for the course like horse for the course. I wouldn't have used Borel at Belmont. He was the right jock for MTB on Derby Day at Churchill. I liked Borel at Oaklawn. San Anita? Nope.

No big deal for me Borel getting off MTB.

louisianawoman
07-02-2009, 04:30 AM
Logical.

larman
07-02-2009, 04:41 AM
One race too late!!!!!!!!!

rastajenk
07-02-2009, 06:41 AM
They ought to get a Mountaineer jock for the Mountaineer race. It's a strategy that worked in the Derby. :cool:

DanG
07-02-2009, 08:14 AM
Has anyone told borel that MTB is a gelding? He just gave away a cash cow for the next 2-3 years. I hope they never let him on MTB again.
It’s strictly a business decision and one of loyalty.

As “Relwob Owner” stated: Warrior’s Reward is running the same day; but beyond that. Calvin is very loyal to Carl Nafzger and Ian Wilkes is a Nafzger protégé who has a very bright future btw. He will throw 10X the business at Borel then Asmussen ever would imo.

ghostyapper
07-02-2009, 09:07 AM
It’s strictly a business decision and one of loyalty.

As “Relwob Owner” stated: Warrior’s Reward is running the same day; but beyond that. Calvin is very loyal to Carl Nafzger and Ian Wilkes is a Nafzger protégé who has a very bright future btw. He will throw 10X the business at Borel then Asmussen ever would imo.

All I know is this is the 2nd time in a matter of months that a jockey has stranded a top horse. He already made history by getting off the derby winner for another. Sure if you break down each decision it seems logical but overall it's just a bad move by borel.

tucker6
07-02-2009, 09:18 AM
All I know is this is the 2nd time in a matter of months that a jockey has stranded a top horse. He already made history by getting off the derby winner for another. Sure if you break down each decision it seems logical but overall it's just a bad move by borel.
Besides MTB, how many horses will the owner and trainer be giving to Calvin in the next five years?? How many will Asmussen give to Borel?? How many will Wilkes give?? Seems very logical and smart. I don't see the bad move. Please explain. It isn't like Calvin spit in the face of MTB's owner/trainer. He has thanked them repeatedly and as far as I know, has given them the proper heads-up on his decision-making. You can't ask for more than that I would think. One could look at this the other way too. MTB and his owner should be thankful they had Calvin at all, and not some journeyman. They owe each other nothing.

Relwob Owner
07-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Besides MTB, how many horses will the owner and trainer be giving to Calvin in the next five years?? How many will Asmussen give to Borel?? How many will Wilkes give?? Seems very logical and smart. I don't see the bad move. Please explain. It isn't like Calvin spit in the face of MTB's owner/trainer. He has thanked them repeatedly and as far as I know, has given them the proper heads-up on his decision-making. You can't ask for more than that I would think. One could look at this the other way too. MTB and his owner should be thankful they had Calvin at all, and not some journeyman. They owe each other nothing.

I agree....I also think that many are over-thinking the idea that all jocks have to have some sort of loyalty to owners....in a perfect world, they would but you have to consider how many times owners have no loyalty the other way. A jock can ride well for owners and trainers but then be used as a scapegoat when things go wrong......like others have said, it is a business decision by Borel and his agent.

DanG
07-02-2009, 09:37 AM
It does seem odd on the surface, but this is why it can be very dangerous territory for players to try and rationalize rider decisions on race day imo. There can be a dozen reasons intertwined (father in law; working a promising 2yo we don’t even know yet etc…) as some of the threads involving agents on this board have shown.

Relwob Owner
07-02-2009, 10:05 AM
It does seem odd on the surface, but this is why it can be very dangerous territory for players to try and rationalize rider decisions on race day imo. There can be a dozen reasons intertwined (father in law; working a promising 2yo we don’t even know yet etc…) as some of the threads involving agents on this board have shown.

Very good point....so much behind the scenes that we dont know....it is good that many of the insiders tell us about it.

Borel and his agent are always going to do what is best for them and I think that most owners and trainers do the same.

ghostyapper
07-02-2009, 10:28 AM

It seem's like none of these issues ever come up when another jock has a top horse for small time connections. Do you really believe asmussen or Nafzger will give calvin less mounts because he decides to ride a derby winner instead of their allowance horse?

matthewsiv
07-02-2009, 10:42 AM
It seem's like none of these issues ever come up when another jock has a top horse for small time connections. Do you really believe asmussen or Nafzger will give calvin less mounts because he decides to ride a derby winner instead of their allowance horse?

You find that loyalty goes a long way between trainer and jockey.

Calvin is a Carl Nafzger and now Ian Wilkes guy,he is not going to give up their horses for one horse.

point given
07-02-2009, 12:53 PM
You find that loyalty goes a long way between trainer and jockey.

Calvin is a Carl Nafzger and now Ian Wilkes guy,he is not going to give up their horses for one horse.

True.

Speaking of which, Does anyone know whats going on in NY with Edgar Prado ? Seems like he isn't riding for Dutrow now and used to be his go to guy,Pletcher also riding others besides Velasquez. :confused:

joanied
07-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Maybe Woolley should give Chantal S a call...after all, she rode MTB to his Canadian Championship...and no doubt, Mike would be happy she's back down here:D

I agree with everyone, for all the reasons stated...Calvin was up front with Woolley...they did the right thing.
Ya can't ride 'em all:)

Spendabuck85
07-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Mike Smith to ride MTB in the West Virginia Derby and the Travers. If Zenyatta does not go in the Classic he will ride that race also. If Zenyatta does run in the Classic against the boys will we see Borel back aboard.

point given
07-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Mike Smith to ride MTB in the West Virginia Derby and the Travers. If Zenyatta does not go in the Classic he will ride that race also. If Zenyatta does run in the Classic against the boys will we see Borel back aboard.

Beat me to the punch . Here's the article link

http://www.drf.com/news/article/105225.html

joanied
07-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Seems like a pretty good plan to me...and I wouldn't be surprised if Mike talked it over with John S and was told Z would most likely go in the BC Distaff...I would be surprised if they decide on the Classic for her, since they seem to be overly cautious about facing colts....and I guess Borel at this point in time, has no mount for the Classic.
Might work out well for all concerned.