PDA

View Full Version : Yavapai Downs Press Release

Jeff P
06-30-2009, 09:52 PM
YAVAPAI DOWNS APPOINTS GREG “BOOMER” WRY DIRECTOR OF RACING/TRACK ANNOUNCER/MEDIA RELATIONS COORDINATOR

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

(Yavapai Downs, Prescott Valley, Arizona, July 1, 2009): General Manager Gary Spiker announced today the return of former track announcer and media relations director Greg “Boomer” Wry to Yavapai Downs to those positions with the additional appointment of Director of Racing effective immediately.

“Boomer” is well known at the Northern Arizona track, having served previously as track announcer and director of media relations since the track’s inception in 2001. His positions were eliminated earlier in the year as the previous management team announced budget cuts, and combined his former positions with that of the assistant racing secretary. General Manager Spiker also announced that Wry would be the key component to a complete re-organization of his new management team from top to bottom of the organization.

“Boomer brings an excitement for horse racing and an energy level that we in the horse racing business desperately need, as well as his strong previous connection to racing fans in Arizona” said Spiker. “It is our hope that our customers will immediately recognize the fan friendly image that “Boomer” and I want to create on an everyday basis and with his addition to our management staff, he not only brings nearly 30 years of racing experience back to the track, but also has an impressive record in the track management teams that he has been a part of in the past.”

“It is a real pleasure to return to Yavapai Downs” said Wry. “Things never felt right when I wasn’t part of the 2009 racing season, and I am excited about our new team and working with them and H.A.N.A. (The Horseplayers Association of North America) to promote Yavapai Downs as a customer friendly track run by a management team that hears the concerns of their customer base and strives to be one of the leaders in customer satisfaction in the U.S.”
I want to be one of the first to step up and offer my congrats: Boomer, here's wishing you all the success in the world!

IMHO this news is huge... FINALLY, a track in Arizona with a HORSEPLAYER calling the shots!

And yes, I'll absolutely support you in any way that I can.

For those of you who may not know, Boomer has his work cut out for him. <G>

I can cite two areas right off the bat:

1. AZ's ridiculous state ADW law.

2. AZ's 20 pct WPS takeout (which is set at the state level.)

And while Boomer is stepping into a position where he is charged with turning things around... and I have all the confidence in the world that he will... I also understand that things such as changing state law and takeout obviously won't happen overnight.

But I understand that there will now at least be an effort with support from the racing industry in AZ to strike AZ's ADW law from the books. And while takeout is set at the state level, Boomer has assured me that when the time comes he will work to negotiate a fair signal price for all parties concerned: His track, the ADWs, the horsemen, AND for the first time ever the HORSEPLAYERS! - so that AZ's takeout can at least be mitigated by rebates to those players who seek them out.

Boomer, again, congrats on your return!

-jp

BillW
06-30-2009, 10:14 PM
Congratulations Boomer!

boomman
06-30-2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks very much Jeff and Bill and I look forward to working closely with your organization!:)

Boomer

CBedo
06-30-2009, 10:47 PM
Congrats and good luck!

miesque
06-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Congratulations Boomer!!!!

Cangamble
06-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Congrats, and we appreciate the mention. At least I do.

Hajck Hillstrom
07-01-2009, 01:08 AM
Congrats, and we appreciate the mention. At least I do.As a horseplayer and HANA member, I can't tell you how reading Boomer's response made me feel. A man I've long respected and admired now has the ball in his court, and I can't think of a guy I'd rather have taking it to the hole. :ThmbUp:

I know for a fact I will be supporting Yavapai.

boomman
07-01-2009, 02:21 AM
Thanks everyone, and for the very kind words Hajck!
Here is the link to the article appearing in tomorrow morning's local paper: "The Prescott Daily Courier"

Boomer

http://www.dcourier.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=2&ArticleID=69830 (http://www.dcourier.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=2&ArticleID=69830)

PaceAdvantage
07-01-2009, 03:34 AM
Congrats on your appointment Boomer!

098poi
07-01-2009, 06:14 AM
Congrats on your appointment Boomer!

What he said!:ThmbUp:

Steve 'StatMan'
07-01-2009, 09:52 AM
Great News Boomer! Congratulations!

rokitman
07-01-2009, 11:21 AM
:ThmbUp:

BombsAway Bob
07-01-2009, 11:39 AM
KUDOS, BOOMER! Nick Hines will be in his Glory from "The Handicapsule" on Mon/Tue while your races run. Welcome Back! :cool:

jballscalls
07-01-2009, 10:27 PM
I can now take my personal ban of not playing Yavapai off! will be great to hear Boom again!

njcurveball
07-02-2009, 01:07 AM
Congratulations! I am adding Yavapai to my downloads now. :ThmbUp:

Dave Schwartz
07-02-2009, 01:12 AM
Boomer,

Congratulations!

I wish I could get YAV on RTN. I'd listen to you.

Dave

trying2win
07-02-2009, 02:12 AM
Boomer,

I just read the good news here about your return to Yavapai Downs. Welcome back!

T2W

boomman
07-02-2009, 04:38 AM
Thanks guys! Your support means everything to me, and I know you'll get behind us in a big way when we return on 7-11-09!:)

See you then!

Boomer

Ian Meyers
07-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks guys! Your support means everything to me, and I know you'll get behind us in a big way when we return on 7-11-09!:)

See you then!

Boomer

:jump: :jump: :jump:

The good guys win one. :ThmbUp:

Congrats Boomer.

LottaKash
07-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Hey Boomer, I just knew there was something "odd" about you....I sincerely believe that, they are the lucky ones in all of this, as your passion and knowledge for this beloved sport and game of ours, can only be a good-thing, for all related parties...Good Luck in your new "adventure"...I will be watching and rooting for you .....:jump:

best,

price
07-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Tough situation in Arizona right now. I think they made an excellent choice in you and I wish you the best in turning it around.

csmith
07-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Congratulations Boomer..Yavapai made a great decision

DeanT
07-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Some messages on HANA's Facebook page (that thing that the kids... and Miesque are all using) for the Boomster:

Rebecca (http://www.facebook.com/people/Rebecca-Stevenson-Douglas/1475929071) at 5:13am July 2Congrat's Boomer! Yavapai will no doubt benefit from your knowledge... hey, anything you need just call S&A!

Michael (http://www.facebook.com/people/Michael-Canonica/1825482358) at 5:04pm July 1Congratulations Boomer. You are a tremendous ambassador for racing.

Jeff P
10-16-2009, 07:04 PM
HANA has met with and continues to meet with industry decision makers on a number of fronts related to improving conditions for horseplayers in accordance with the goals stated on the home page of the HANA site at www.HorseplayersAssociation.com. We want you to know that those meetings are ongoing and that the importance of what has been discussed carries with it the need for a certain level of confidentiality.

Recently HANA has been involved in meetings and talks with track management at Yavapai Downs in Prescott Valley, AZ and horsemen from the AZ HBPA involving a number of suggestions that have the capacity to IMPROVE conditions for horseplayers in AZ - with an eye towards implementing those suggestions starting with day 1 of Yavapai's live meet when they start up next spring.

We will of course let you know about changes within the industry brought about as a result of HANA's involvement as they happen.

Jeff Platt

President, HANA

http://www.HorseplayersAssociation.com