PDA

View Full Version : Suff's Toga party. aka...PA get together.

Suff
05-09-2003, 04:59 PM
I'm Having/Hosting a Pace Advantage Get together at Saratoga this summer.

Its the week of August 23rd to September 1st. (9 days)

I have a few two Bedroom Cottages (sleeps 5/6) at a place 15 minutes for the Track and 15 Minutes from Lake George.

I sent out some e-mails to guys I am friendly with and a few I thought I'd like to meet. I got a good response...and it should be a Great time. Theres a Few spots open...If your thinking of going to the SPA,,,,Your welcome to Join us. Heres the Facts.

The place... http://www.whisperingpinesctgs.com

The dates. Saturday August 23rd to Monday Sept 1st

Confirmed attendees to date.

Cj Milkowski ( Flying in from OK for the week)
Nyracpper (flying in from NE for the week)
WINMANWIN ( NYC) for 4 or 5 days
Bill Weaver ( Texas via Baltimore for the week)\
Dave Schwartz and a friend ( Flying in from Reno for the week)
Dick Schmidt (Flying in From CA for the week)

and a few that have said they hope/intend to stop by for a day, two or three....or the whole week, But I have'nt gotten thier Flight travel dates yet.

Irishlad stable
Andicap
Joe Prunes
RocaJack
PA
TOM

Theres a few more I'm missing but Can't recall right now.

And there are a handful more that need to see how the Summer Shakes out for them before they can Commit. But all in all, I expect have a few of My Own friends in and out and a Healthy Crew from the Pace Board.

If you'd like to come up and meet a some Folks from the Board your Welcome....

Its relatively cost free... I was hosting the whole thing, But as it has grown...It might set you back $75.00 to $100.00 bucks for the whole week.

I bring up a Bunch of Steaks, Ribs..for the Barbacue. I bring up couple Box's of the best Boston Lobsters. You'll eat on the cheap.

You can fly into Albany and we will Pick you up. Transporation to and from the track no problem as well. I have a Cadilac so I can Pack in a bunch for the track runs.

Whispeing Pines,,,is no Palace.. But theres a private Beach on the Hudson River,, Fishing, swimming, a couple of Free Row/sailboats, and Horseshoes, and shuffle Board. The Owner is retired NYC Union Elevator repairman/Horse Player. So the place gets a Good group of NY and NJ Horse players.

If you'd like to come up...Drop me an e-mail.

mdudley.boston@attbi.com

Couple of side notes..

Don't be shy. You may not know everyone or anyone...thats ok. Just come...You'll have a good time and Maybe make a friend.

Do not Fly in during Racing.....The Evening or on Tuseday Dark Day is best.

There are a Few I hope show.

JRDhorse
Formula...(said he can't but I hope he reconsiders)
JOTB
Mudcat
Rmania
Canuck
Robbir robb
All the PIK4 contest Crew.

As I told the guys that Have already Bought thier Airline tickets.
I have already Paid for the Cottages...so God Forbid if anything happened to me and I could'nt show. You'll be all set regardless.

One other thing. If you want to come and Find your own accomodations and Transportation and just meet us at the track...This is what I usually do...

At 6:00 am the track opens for Breakfast with the Horses. They allow you to Throw your Coolers and Tables clothes down on a Picnic Table out back of the club house. The track closes at 9:00am and reopens at 11:00am In August I will give you my cell phone Number,,,and when you get to the track You can call me and I'll tell you where we are.

See you at the SPA,,,

SUFF

PaceAdvantage
05-09-2003, 06:10 PM
Wow Suff....amazing...simply amazing.....

I sure hope I am able to get up there and say hi to everyone.....sounds like it's going to be an excellent time....

==PA

Suff
05-09-2003, 06:39 PM
After Posting I got Confirmations from AnDicap for Sat the 23rd and part of Sunday.

Joe G, who I forgot in my orginal Post is In too...He sent me a note...he's Coming Mid-week ,, wed-Thurs-Fri

I also Forgot Justin (Cj's Brother) who is confirmed for part of all of the week..

And I got a call from Joe Prunes after I posted too....he's in for at least three days....likley the whole week

And I forgot to mention in mY orginal Post....These dates are good ones......Its stakes week at Saratoga.

While we're there....7 Grade 1's, two Grade 2's and Three Grade 3's in 8 days.

BillW
05-11-2003, 08:18 PM
For anyone interested,

The NTRA racing calendar (http://calendar.ntraracing.com/) has the detailed schedule for that week. Just select Aug/Sept near the top of the page, then SAR on the date of interest.

Bill

Kentucky Bred
05-11-2003, 09:03 PM
You are really quite a guy. If I had those cottages, I'm not sure I would think to invite the board. I'm impressed...for real!

BTW, does that mean that nearly 1/2 of the PA posters will be out of posting range during the big event?

Kentucky Bred

Tom
05-11-2003, 09:17 PM
You da man!
I will look to see what days I can escape from work and let you know. Sounds like a week off is in order.
I can almost taste that bowl of "red" chowder now, half chowder, half hot sauce. <G>

Word to the wise....don't drink the SPA water from the fountain-nearly killed me a while back - '89-90? STILL trying to get that taste out of my mouth! :p

I can't wait to put faces wtih the names (Hmmm...maybe I'll hire
Fabio to go as me....hehehe. Oh, darn, Dick Schmidt knows me.
Oh, well..I'll be there).

CumberlandBluesHSH
05-12-2003, 03:41 PM
Wow - this is cool Suf...

I would definitely be interested in coming down for a day or two to meet some of you folks - I won't need room in any of the cottages tho - I grew up 30 miles west of Saratoga so I'll stay with Mom for a day or three. If Dave & Dick can fly in from Reno & CA, I can make the 3 hour drive down 87.

Suff
05-12-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Kentucky Bred
You are really quite a guy. If I had those cottages, I'm not sure I would think to invite the board. I'm impressed...for real!

Kentucky Bred

You wanna come up...Come up...

My Dad and a Mutual friend of mine and his used to Host this annual trek to the SPA. It was a great group of guys.

My Dad Past away a few years ago... the Mutual friend passed on 18 Months ago. I tried keeping up the thing....Many guys passed on..or were not playing the ponies as much anymore. So the last two years I had alot of Non-Horse players come up..and its not the same. My Sister who I love to Death....asked me to go with her to Saratoga National Park. I said no... I'm going to the track. She said the races start at 1:00... Come in the AM with me... I said I can't...I go to breakfast with the Horses everyday... SHe said.. I drive up here 4 hours too spend time with you...and all you do is go the track. So I went with her.

But first I made deal...You come to Breakfast with the Horses with me and I'll go to the SNP with you....and so I went..and looked at trees and Deer and Rocks and dirt...and it sucked. BuT I went and she was Happy.

Here's what I do everyday I am at Saratoga. I don't vary much...and I don't want to be flexible.

5:30 AM... If I'm asleep...I wake up. If I'm just getting Home I take a shower.

6:15 AM. I arrive at the track. I see Manny... the Maitre De of the Clubhouse. He sits me right on the Rail at the table I like for breakfast. If I need to make any moves for a Table in The clubhouse for Lunch... I make them here. Manny is THE MAN....to see for anything special in the clubhouse..and Manny is a man you can do business with.

6:30-7:30 AM I read my Morning Paper and peruse the DRF while I eat my breafast. I watch the AM workouts.

7:30 to 8:30 AM. I go up and sit behind Mary Ryan as she does her Morning workout show. This lady knows almost every horse on the grounds,,,who thier sire was,,,what races they won..EVERTHING... She does little trivia contests and gives away posters and books. I find it entertaining. Also..the SunRise is coming up over the Adironack Mountains in the Foreground and its breathtakingly beautiful.

9:00 to 10:00. I do one of three things. If I've made my moves right..someone takes me over to the Backside and I roam around trying to pick up on whats the BUZZ on todays card. Or. I drive down to the Oklahoma (about a mile) and watch more workouts. Or I go across the street to the Racing Hall of FAME and check out one of the HUNDREDS of exhibits they have.....

10:30 AM to 11:30 AM. I go to Harvey Paks DRF handicapping show at SIRO"S.....litterally 50 feet from the entrance to the track. Harvey draws all the Brand Name guys...Beyer, Davidowitch..and one local Guy I like and is pretty Good...Andi Sperling. NYRA is Kind enough to Call the AM scratches over to SIRO's as soon as the get them too....so I get them all worked out of my program ASAP. The show is very Funny and entertaining and I really look forward to it.

11:30-1:00 I go Back to the track. First thing I do is Bring a Black Coffee and a Plane Donut to Jake in the Clubhouse. If I need a few seats Jake always delivers for me. Then I go have lunch in the Clubhouse.

1:00-5:30 PM. I either sit in the seats That I maneuvered for...or I plant at the Picnic table I reserved at 6:15 when I got to the track......and I play the card. I bet the card. I don't bet simulcast... I play only the SPA. I go for paddock views..I go people watching....I shop all the vendors ... ... Then I'm DONE. I wait about 1/2 hour for all the Cars to clear out....and I go back to the Cottage.

The next 12 hours are open. Downtown Saratoga goes all night..theres lots of clubs, Live entertainment, Restuarants. Or I drive up to Lake George. Same thing goes on up there.

I probably have only two friends that can keep up this schedule with me.....so why invite a Bunch of Non-players up. I don't wanna change what I do. I want to meet some people from this Board... I want to keep up my Dad's tradition of a "Horse Racing" trip. Not a Dirt , rock, and tree trip.

So I'm inviting Horse players.

robbierobb
05-12-2003, 07:50 PM
great suff this is what should go on in horse clubs
sharing ideas and learning from one another very nice jester
will try my hardest to get down there for a day or two.
thanks for the invite suff your a good man and a great handicapper.

Suff
05-12-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by CumberlandBluesHSH
Wow - this is cool Suf...

I would definitely be interested in coming down for a day or two to meet some of you folks - I won't need room in any of the cottages tho - I grew up 30 miles west of Saratoga so I'll stay with Mom for a day or three. If Dave & Dick can fly in from Reno & CA, I can make the 3 hour drive down 87.

For convienence sake we'll find a spot for you one or two nights. 3 hours is 3 hours..... If you drive up early AM.... Plant your stuff in the cottage....Hang out with us at the track for the day.....Go out for Dinner or whatever with us,,,,Stay the night ...and play the next days card.....That would be better than 6 hours driving in ONE day. Either way.......when it gets closer we'll work out the details. I look forwward to meeting you.

Suff
05-12-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Tom@HTR

I can't wait to put faces wtih the names (Hmmm...maybe I'll hire
Fabio to go as me....hehehe. Oh, darn, Dick Schmidt knows me.
Oh, well..I'll be there).

Thanks Tom..... I'm having a special set of T-shirts made up for you to wear while your there.

One says.... I LOVE Aqueduct .
One says I love NYRA

One Says...... Be a winner, Play the INNER

and one more that says.......NYBREDS RULE!!!!!

WINMANWIN
05-12-2003, 08:46 PM
Suff, what a schedule at TOGA. Your sister story was funny :D
I am willing to lay big odds, You're 1 of a kind, and I am looking
forward to meeting you. I am just not sure if 1 cup of coffee
will be enough for me. May have to have Manny the Maitre D
leave the POT !!!!!! ;)

CumberlandBluesHSH
05-13-2003, 04:32 PM
thanks Suf....but I think you misread - *I* live a bit over 3 hours north (and east - in VT)....my mom still lives in Gloversville - just a bit over a half hour from Saratoga. Thanks just the same for the offer of space at the cottage tho - that's mighty kind of you.

Tom
05-13-2003, 06:34 PM
Suff,
You crack me up!
Be Winner-Play the Inner - I like that one :rolleyes:

keenang
05-14-2003, 09:39 AM
I AM SORRY I CAN'T MAKE IT.BUT YOU MUST BE ONE GREAT GUY TO DO THIS. I HOPE EVRY THING GOES WELL. (ESP. AT THE TRACK)
THANKS FOR THE INVITE. GENE

Suff
05-14-2003, 07:05 PM
I appreciatte all the Nice comments....Buts its really not that big a deal. The whole thing might set me back a weeks pay? Plus.... The "Horse Intelligence I got coming into town" is priceless.

And the fun should be priceless too..... I expect some of these characters to be very entertaining. Hollywood writers get paid millions to create characters we got right here for free. Its all good ...no big deal on my end. I'm grateful to the guys that are coming. I really appreciatte the people that are coming into town to enjoy the week. It should be a great time for everybody.

By the way.... About my schedule. The cottage is 15 minutes from the track.....Its nothing for me to shoot to the cottage and grab folks that are not into 5:30 AM wake up calls. No one is obligated to tag alone with me for a ride to the track.....I'll accomodate whatever unfolds. Including grabbing guys at the Airport or Bus Station...... Whatever works....

and for the guys I am Picking up at Logan on the 22nd...and the guys I am picking up at Albany on the 23rd and Tuesday the 26th..... This is who your gonna be looking for for.

SUFF... the man...The myth... the legend. Try again

JustRalph
05-15-2003, 02:01 AM
I see a buzzer in his hand!

stuball
05-15-2003, 11:01 AM
It could just be a shadow Hmmmm

Shady character maybe !!!

LOL

I am hoping I can get there to meet the whole gang this fall...

Stuball

David McKenzie
05-15-2003, 09:44 PM
Suff,

That's quite a sporting gesture you've made!

I won't take advantage of your outrageous hospitality, but would greatly enjoy meeting you and the other PA board members.

Perhaps we should met at The Big Red Fountain and let the Spa newbies have the first toast together?

;>)

Suff
05-15-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by David McKenzie@HSH
Suff,

That's quite a sporting gesture you've made!

I won't take advantage of your outrageous hospitality, but would greatly enjoy meeting you and the other PA board members.

Perhaps we should met at The Big Red Fountain and let the Spa newbies have the first toast together?

;>)

I'm trying to do a deal as we speak.... to get the "BIG RED SPRING" to ourselves for one day. I have seen in the past where they put a little fence around it and let a "Private party" have the thing to themselves.... Either way....If you know where the The "Big Red Spring" is, you'll have no trouble tracking us down...... because that area is my stomping grounds.

At Saratoga.. As you know... They have the Backside...and then they have the "STAKES BARNS".....where all the graded horses stay. That Barn is located in such a way...that when the horses go to the Paddock...they literally walk them right through the crowd. A few ushers come out and hold up a Rope.... But really... You are right up on the Animal and the Jockey.... (last year when Bailey was having a terrible meet... I said something smart to him as he walked by me...) Anway... I always plant right between the RED spring and the Stakes barn.

John
05-19-2003, 04:54 PM
Congratulations, to all of you that have commited to joining Sufferin at Saratoga. "Sufferin" what a terrible name for such a nice guy.Lets call him by his birth name "Michael" Mike, took it upon himself to pay for those cottages with money up front. Who would do that for a bunch of strangers I don't know. Mike, is also going to Boston airport to pick up a few of you and also to Albany N.Y. to gather a few more.What a time you guys are in for.

I live not far from Mike He and I have talked several times on the telephone and believe me what a down-to-earth guy he is.He is one of the most unselfish person I have talked with.All you have to do is ask him and if he's got it,you got it.All of you have heard of the guy that would give you the shirt off his back. Well, now you will meet him.

Mike, is a very hard worker in the Boston area and a very serious handicapper.Honestly ,he does his homework before he post his selections.Sometimes it may not seem that way ,but it is true and He loves to share his long shots with people.His love for horses and the betting game is uncanny.

I myself, go to Saratoga every year around the same time with two friends,for two or three days. I told Mike,if any of you from a distance want to go to Saratoga.not to worry about me and my two friends who are old timers [70 years young].If there is room for us for a few days or the whole week.we will be there with bells on.if not I will catch-up with you guys one way or the other.

As the time gets closer.you will be informed of the highlights, breakfast at "ciros" the "Thoroughbred Museum" Etc..

In 5 years of going to the SPA. i have never had a day of rain.

This email was cleaned by emailStripper, available for free from http://www.papercut.biz/emailStripper.htm

andicap
05-19-2003, 05:19 PM
Suff,
is that woman about to pour that bottle of water on your head??

Suff
05-19-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by andicap
Suff,
is that woman about to pour that bottle of water on your head??

Thats my Beautiful Niece Julia............a real special lil one.

The one on My right that you can just make out is her cousin and my Other Niece Hannah. This was at Hannahs Dance recital. She's 5. She's my angel. Almost like my Daughter. My Sister, being the proggressive Woman she is.....used Artificial Insemination to get pregnant. So Hannah has no Dad. I'm like her Dad. I go to all her Events. I talk to her everyday on the Telephone...and she spends alot of Sundays with me.

I tell My Sister I am taking her to the Park. Instead I put her on my Knee and we play the Horses together!!! LOL... She's great.

She will truthfully be able to say "I've been Handicapping races since I was TWO"......... She's 6 now and she can read the DRF!!

JimG
05-19-2003, 07:41 PM
Although I have never been to the SPA, sounds like a great trip. The best part to me sounds like the schedule you intend to keep. Horses and horses and nothing but horses.

Jim

Jrdhorse
05-20-2003, 07:14 AM
Sounds like a great time Suff your are truly a gentlemen to offer such a deal. I hope I can stop by I may have to drive up from Maryland and make a showing if I am able.

Thank You for the Invite!!!!!!!!!!:)