PDA

View Full Version : Pa- your arm is coming

ddog
06-29-2009, 04:02 PM
You asked, he lays it out very well and he is being kind for general consumption.

A slow burn off .... it's all there some can't abide it, not stopping though.

PJB: California, Here We Come!
By Patrick J. Buchanan

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. — In just a few weeks time, California hits the wall.

And Americans should take a good, long look at the fiscal and social wreck of the Golden Land, because California is at a place to which all of America is heading.
In May, when five fund-raising proposals were put on the ballot, Gov. Schwarzenegger pleaded with the overtaxed Californians not to make their state “the poster child for dysfunction.”

As The Economist writes, “On May 18th, they did exactly that.”

Arnold went to the White House for U.S. loan guarantees for new state bonds. But with the president’s approval rating wilting because of a belief he is spending too much, the Obama-ites slammed the door.

In Sacramento, a Republican blocking force is resisting any new tax revenue. And with the state under a constitutional mandate to balance its budget, yet facing a $24 billion deficit this July, a chainsaw is about to be taken to state government.

Some 38,000 of 168,000 state prisoners may be released. As Barack Obama is pushing universal health insurance, California will cut Medi-Cal for the poor. Education will be slashed, resulting in a shortened school year, thousands of laid-off teachers, school closings and an end to summer programs in a system that has plummeted from the nation’s best to one of its worst, as measured by dropout rates and academic achievement.

The 10 campuses of the University of California face cuts that may result in 50,000 fewer students and 5,000 fewer teachers.

What makes her fiscal crisis relevant to us all is not only that California is our most populous state, with one in eight Americans living there, but California has a gross domestic product larger than Canada’s.

Moreover, the demography of California today is the demography of America tomorrow, just as the social and fiscal policies of California in the last decade mirror those of the U.S. government today.

http://buchanan.org/blog/pjb-california-here-we-come-1585

The really shamefull part is that the country can't run itself anymore without the brains from overseas as the education systems in this country have devolved into not much more than a poor mans babysitting service.

boxcar
06-29-2009, 04:11 PM
You know what the megabytes of irony to all this is, don't ya? The terminator always has billed himself as a social liberal and fiscal conservative. I guess he finally has proven what many of us have known for a long time -- that the two ideals are a wee bit contradictory. :lol: :lol:

Geesh...and imagine, BO is going to let the Great State of California fail due to poll numbers. I guess there mustn't be too many little guys out there. :lol: :lol:

Boxcar

cj's dad
06-30-2009, 03:44 PM
My understanding is that California could have been bailed out (made solvent) for approx $30 Billion while GM was given $80 B +

Warren Henry
06-30-2009, 04:21 PM
My understanding is that California could have been bailed out (made solvent) for approx $30 Billion while GM was given $80 B +
While I don't approve of ANY of the bailouts there is a theoretical upside to bailing out GM. They might change their practices and return to profitability. California, on the other hand is doomed as they are already practicing the kinds of things Obama proposes for the rest of us.

Actually, I am surprised that Obama isn't jumping to help California. Because, left alone, California will be forced to make changes in the RIGHT direction - significantly cutting the size of their goverment.

Should the state become fiscally responsible, it might show the folly of Obama's programs. Please, God, let it happen quickly.

cj's dad
06-30-2009, 04:55 PM
Agreed.

Bailing out GM guarantees him even greater union support while bailing out Ca. guarantees nothing.

It is however folly to let California fail; I don't see any practical upside.

NJ Stinks
06-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Proposition 13 is working out really well out there. No wonder no other state followed suit.

riskman
06-30-2009, 06:42 PM
The Federal balance sheet is in far worse shape than California’s but there is one crucial difference-- Washington has a printing press, and Sacramento does not.

If the Federal government bails out California, how can they deny similar aid to other states? The bailout will send a clear message that states do not need to cut spending.

California has to bite the bullet and has little choice but to cut spending or default on its bonds. Knowing California, they will not cut spending and will default on the bonds and the criminal politicians will stick it to the bond investors. As Arnie would say “hasta la vista, baby” take your losses like the rest of Americans ---it is the new American way.

If Arnie has any balls left after 20 years of steroids he might go on the tube and tell Californians to go to their employers and increase their withholding to (5) on form W-4 . If the IRS questions it, Arnie can tell them we are broke and we need more spendable income in the State. Since CA. seems to love ballot propositions they can put one up to secede from the union. Now, that would be a blast.

ddog
07-01-2009, 01:50 PM
they can't default,(?) they would be toast and the markets would crash to no one knows where.

they will have to keep the bonds going and give out IOU and whatever to everyone else.

If they were to default then we have to step in and at least not let that happen.

I fear the fallout would be unreal, don't like it , but it's a selfish action.

ddog
07-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Wouldn't be a first! :sleeping:

http://www.voxeu.org/index.php?q=node/3421

New findings:

World industrial production continues to track closely the 1930s fall, with no clear signs of ‘green shoots’.
World stock markets have rebounded a bit since March, and world trade has stabilised, but these are still following paths far below the ones they followed in the Great Depression.
There are new charts for individual nations’ industrial output. The big-4 EU nations divide north-south; today’s German and British industrial output are closely tracking their rate of fall in the 1930s, while Italy and France are doing much worse.
The North Americans (US & Canada) continue to see their industrial output fall approximately in line with what happened in the 1929 crisis, with no clear signs of a turn around.
Japan’s industrial output in February was 25 percentage points lower than at the equivalent stage in the Great Depression. There was however a sharp rebound in March.

More at the site, even some nice color pics for you!

ddog
07-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Oh and by the way , with the Citi and Goldman hacks being given massive pay increases for the wonderfull jobs they are doing now and in the recent months do you feel SAVED!

I know I do.

That Paulson , greenspan , dodd , frank both of the disgusting grahams and a boat load of others are not now or ever going to be in front of a firing squad shows how sheep like and drug addled what's left of this place has become.

Now the clueless bamma is going to push to make the FED(what a hoot) the systemic regulator!!! They are out of their minds. This doesn't need regulation it needs to be torn up and downsized to something that CAN be regulated to at least keep the simple minded criminals in line.

Green shoots - green shoots everywhere a green shoot!

PaceAdvantage
07-02-2009, 12:16 AM
ddog...I have but a simple question.

What exactly makes you think I disagree with anything you just posted, or hold some sort of super-duper opposing opinion?

I simply disagreed with when the recession started. I have never stated that I think the worst is behind us...never...I wouldn't think to be that stupid, despite what you might believe.

kenwoodallpromos
07-02-2009, 01:41 AM
Ca politicians purposely are late with the Ca bufget so they can sneak in their pork. / The poor do not vote much. / Public employee unions and civil "servants" want raises in good times, but refuse to take cuts in poor times. / The 2 oarties have almost even numbers in the state houses. / Ca Govt and efficiency are opposites. / Ca prisoners live on easy street.

ddog
07-02-2009, 01:43 PM
ddog...I have but a simple question.

What exactly makes you think I disagree with anything you just posted, or hold some sort of super-duper opposing opinion?

I simply disagreed with when the recession started. I have never stated that I think the worst is behind us...never...I wouldn't think to be that stupid, despite what you might believe.

ok, we totally agree I guess, it's kind of hard to know with you sometimes.

When you post , where the arm since it doesn't seem to be exploding about your head , I take that to mean you disagree with most of what I was posting?

is that too simple on my part? Maybe.

I will just add that with another month or two of job loss on the current scale we will have created NO net new JOBS for the last 10-11 years!

Now, you can say what you will about that fact , but it's not good and shows not much sign of turning around this year. It's not when this recession started so much as did the last one END!

I think many are being fooled by the the type of recession this is.

It's not the classic business type/fed rate type drop, but something much worse , a crash from a massive leverage bubble that was building at least since the last 2 years of Clinton.

During this time I maintain we have and continue to misallocate vast sums into worthless activities while gutting the job base of the country.

If this is true , then there will have to be a very long and painfull period on the order of 5-10 years before any hope of growth to support the job base we need to have.

I don't see it coming out well, everything must go right, no big shocks or resource wars, etc. are allowed.

I am not holding my breath for that type of smooth sailing.

ddog
07-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Ca politicians purposely are late with the Ca bufget so they can sneak in their pork. / The poor do not vote much. / Public employee unions and civil "servants" want raises in good times, but refuse to take cuts in poor times. / The 2 oarties have almost even numbers in the state houses. / Ca Govt and efficiency are opposites. / Ca prisoners live on easy street.

the public employee stuff , including cops and firefighters are some of the most out of control groups in this country when it comes to massive benefits they think they should be entitled to.

out of their minds.

Most all of their number should be cut back 10-20% off the top and the benefits and especially the double dipping stopped NOW!

Dave Schwartz
07-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Dog,

I admit that I really don't have much interest in the content of this thread but could you explain what "Your arm is coming" actually means?

Dave

ddog
07-02-2009, 03:36 PM
That's ok, Pa could explain things better.

ddog
07-02-2009, 03:41 PM
http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa090630_mo_harris.23327cea.html

A News 8 investigation found that hundreds of aircraft mechanics have been brought into the United States to work at aircraft repair facilities.

Insiders say the companies that are importing the mechanics are so eager to save money, they’re overstating their qualifications. The result may be a threat to safety, abetted by lax enforcement of immigration law.

At daybreak any morning at San Antonio Aerospace, hundreds of workers amble through the gates for the day shift. They repair big jets like Airbuses, Boeing 757s and MD-11s. But, despite the fact that it's a huge facility in the middle of the San Antonio International Airport, a large number of the mechanics are only temporary workers from foreign countries.

News 8 found they’re from Mexico, the Philippines and Chile, among other places. They have been brought specifically to the United States to work for San Antonio Aerospace (SAA). News 8 followed a special bus San Antonio Aerospace, used to pick up foreign workers every morning. Workers riding on the bus were from the Philippines. The workers, who wouldn’t say how much money they make, are part of a stream of imported mechanics brought to this country at cut-rate wages, according to several sources familiar with the business.

More at the link....

Just as an aside, I know a guy that used to work building and repairing aircraft for the big wigs and saudi types, he is now training as a welder and driving a moving van to try to make ends meet.

They forced him and several other guys to "train" :D their replacements before they were tossed out the door.

he tells me stories of this type of stuff that can't be understood anyway but criminal intent to injure in the hiring of these baggers and checkout clerks to work maint after they drum up the false certs,etc.

ANd , don't want to leave this one out .....

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/localnews/investigates/stories/wfaa090515-_lj_harris.7a4a7d4.html

"News 8 has recently revealed serious flaws in the way the FAA licenses mechanics who fix planes.

There is evidence of years of problems in testing these mechanics. There is also evidence that hundreds of mechanics with questionable licenses are working on aircraft in Texas.

Now there is evidence of repair facilities hiring low-wage mechanics who can't read English. Twenty-one people were killed when U.S. Airways Express Flight 5481 crashed in Charlotte, North Carolina in 2003. The plane went wildly out of control on takeoff.

One reason for the crash, investigators found, was that mechanics incorrectly connected the cables to some of the plane's control surfaces in the repair shop. The FAA was cited for improper oversight of the repair process.

Repairing airplanes is a complicated business. Airplanes have many manuals. Typically, when mechanics repair a part, they open the manual, consult the book, and make the repair step-by-step, as if it were a recipe book.

They make a list of every action they take, so the next person to fix the plane (as well as the people who fly it) will know exactly what has been done.

If mechanics don't speak English, the international language of aviation, they can't read the manual and they can't record their activities.

There are more than 236 FAA-certified aircraft repair stations in Texas, according to the FAA's Web site. News 8 has learned that hundreds of the mechanics working in those shops do not speak English and are unable to read repair manuals for today's sophisticated aircraft.

Former FAA inspector Bill McNease told News 8 he regularly encountered applicants for pilots’ licenses who tried to pretend they could speak English — but could not.

"When I was based in Dallas, I had that happen every week," McNease said. "It was not uncommon at all to have foreign flight students. We had mechanics, but I handled the pilot end of it.... and I turned down people every week because they couldn't speak English."

"There are people [where I work] who do not know how to read a maintenance manual as they are spelled out, because they don't have a clue," said one certified aircraft mechanic who works at a Texas aircraft repair station. He wished to remain anonymous to protect his employment.

To certify a part for flight or repair an engine, a mechanic must be licensed by the FAA as an Airframe and Powerplant mechanic, known in the business as an "A&P."

News 8 discovered that mechanics at one licensing center in San Antonio were being tested in Spanish as late as last fall. The FAA ultimately shut the facility down.

Supervisors in Texas repair stations say they are supposed to oversee the repairs of dozens of untrained mechanics who can't read the manuals and can't write down the work they've done.

But the FAA does not require every person working at a repair station to be a certified A&P. One certified A&P can sign off on the work of dozens of uncertified mechanics."

now who is the terrorist!
Aq can't do anything compared to the free market! :D

ddog
07-02-2009, 04:10 PM
http://trueslant.com/matttaibbi/2009/06/30/on-giving-goldman-a-chance/

After my Rolling Stone piece about Goldman, Sachs hit the newsstands last week (unfortunately the piece is not yet up on the magazine’s web site, so I can’t link to it yet — but it is out in print), I started to get a lot of mail. Most of it was thoughtful and respectful criticism, although there was an amusingly large number of people writing in impassioned defense of their right, under our American system, to be ripped off by large impersonal financial companies. “If my pension fund is buying [crap mortgages] from Goldman, and my pension fund loses lots of value, that’s not Goldman’s fault,” wrote one reader. “No one is forcing anyone to buy anything. The only thing Goldman is guilty of is making profits.”

I’m not even going to go there — the psychology of a human being who would take the time to actually write in a complaint like that is so bizarre that it would take more time than I have today to even begin discussing it. One other complaint that I will address quickly, though, is the notion that I didn’t tell Goldman’s side of the story. “Not exactly a balanced approach,” complained one reader. “You should take an ethics class. You have to give the other side a fair shot.”

a lot more there..........

p.s. color me quirky, i had a picture of Pa pounding out this exact reply!
Pa-- come clean are you "IN" with the GOLD MEN??? :blush:

ddog
07-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Washington Post publisher Katharine Weymouth said today she was canceling plans for an exclusive "salon" at her home where for as much as $250,000, the Post offered lobbyists and association executives off-the-record access to "those powerful few" — Obama administration officials, members of Congress, and even the paper’s own reporters and editors.

The astonishing offer was detailed in a flier circulated Wednesday to a health care lobbyist, who provided it to a reporter because the lobbyist said he felt it was a conflict for the paper to charge for access to, as the flier says, its “health care reporting and editorial staff."

With the Post newsroom in an uproar after POLITICO reported the solicitation, Weymouth and Executive Editor Marcus Brauchli both said today that they were not aware of the flier or the specifics of what it offered.

“This should never have happened,” Weymouth told Post media reporter Howard Kurtz. “The fliers got out and weren't vetted.
(in other words - that bastard that smoked us is toast!) :p
They didn't represent at all what we were attempting to do. We're not going to do any dinners that would impugn the integrity of the newsroom."

“You cannot buy access to a Washington Post journalist,” Brauchli told POLITICO. Brauchli was named on the flier as one of the salon’s "Hosts and Discussion Leaders."
:D :D :lol:

Not unless you have a quarter mill or so!!!

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0709/24441.html#ixzz0K8TJBoVq&D

Hank
07-02-2009, 07:06 PM
the public employee stuff , including cops and firefighters are some of the most out of control groups in this country when it comes to massive benefits they think they should be entitled to.

out of their minds.

Most all of their number should be cut back 10-20% off the top and the benefits and especially the double dipping stopped NOW!

Actually Dog,you are the one who careened out of control with this post,Its cops and firefighters who deserve every benefit they can get.9-11-01 how soon we forget.

PaceAdvantage
07-03-2009, 12:16 AM
During this time I maintain we have and continue to misallocate vast sums into worthless activities while gutting the job base of the country.Agree 100%

PaceAdvantage
07-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Dog,

I admit that I really don't have much interest in the content of this thread but could you explain what "Your arm is coming" actually means?

DaveArm stands for Armageddon