PDA

View Full Version : Why do Race Tracks feel they are compelled to:

DALLIEDOG
06-29-2009, 12:38 AM
Juice up their track , as Belmont did yesterday in the Mother Goose, certainly RACHEL ALEXANDRA did not need any help in destroying her competiton or do they need the hype so bad and want their Star to break track records ????
I been playing this game since 1970 and the last 10 years on big race days this is usually the case --we see a pronounced speed bias and I mean pronounced and I do stay away from these big days because I am aware of this bias that is always tilted towards speed. How do you feel ?

kenwoodallpromos
06-29-2009, 02:50 AM
Juice up their track , as Belmont did yesterday in the Mother Goose, certainly RACHEL ALEXANDRA did not need any help in destroying her competiton or do they need the hype so bad and want their Star to break track records ????
I been playing this game since 1970 and the last 10 years on big race days this is usually the case --we see a pronounced speed bias and I mean pronounced and I do stay away from these big days because I am aware of this bias that is always tilted towards speed. How do you feel ?
I feel that on those days, on those tracks, the variant is flawed and the horses endangered.

Imriledup
06-29-2009, 02:57 AM
One of horse racing's greatest mysteries.

Java Gold@TFT
06-29-2009, 07:09 AM
In NY it rained for days before the Mother Goose. Did you see the cancellation of the 9nth on Friday or the rain delay of the Mets-Yankees game on friday or the deluge that waas the US Open at Bethpage?

The crew did what they had to do to get a fast track which always benefits bettors over off tracks and increases handle. I don't think they did anything to soup it up. They just wanted to get it dried out. Belmont has a history of being a very fast and speed favoring track when it's drying out. I really don't believe they were trying to get track records for the day.

newtothegame
06-29-2009, 07:52 AM

Please understand that I am in no way great at this game. And my questions, sometimes seeming "dumb" are legit. If you know there is a BIAS and its always titled towards speed as you stated above, why not play it that way? Use it to your advantage?
Although I do agree with another poster on this thread that if it endangers the horses, something should be done as the horses safety should always come FIRST.

Valuist
06-29-2009, 08:21 AM
I've never understood the need to speed up the surface. Do they think racing fans are so ignorant that they only look at raw, unadjusted times?

Monarchos ran the 2nd fastest Derby (by actual time) in history. Did you ever hear anyone say, "I HAVE to go watch Monarchos run because he ran a sub 2 minute Derby"?

fmolf
06-29-2009, 08:34 AM
Please understand that I am in no way great at this game. And my questions, sometimes seeming "dumb" are legit. If you know there is a BIAS and its always titled towards speed as you stated above, why not play it that way? Use it to your advantage?
Although I do agree with another poster on this thread that if it endangers the horses, something should be done as the horses safety should always come FIRST.
I just looked at all the charts from that day .While a lot of speed horses won in excellent times it does not look like a bias.All of the prices were small meaning no longshots that didn't figure were carried to a victory by a biased track.In order to have a track bias you need two things to happen.A track favors speed or closers and disadvantages other running styles.I did not see evidence of this saturday.Secondly a particular part of the track inside/outside or right on the crown may be faster or slower.This can only be truly discerned by watching all the races and paying careful attention to where the winning jockeys are placing their horses.Watch especially the good older experienced jockeys.It is my experience having beeb playing belmont for over 35 yrs that it is one of the fairest tracks out there.A tiring sandy track like belmont is always going to make it harder on your closers..although they do have that nice long stretch to help them.the track has been sealed so many times in the last 3 weeks that it must be packed down like blacktop!

DALLIEDOG
06-29-2009, 12:27 PM
In NY it rained for days before the Mother Goose. Did you see the cancellation of the 9nth on Friday or the rain delay of the Mets-Yankees game on friday or the deluge that waas the US Open at Bethpage?

The crew did what they had to do to get a fast track which always benefits bettors over off tracks and increases handle. I don't think they did anything to soup it up. They just wanted to get it dried out. Belmont has a history of being a very fast and speed favoring track when it's drying out. I really don't believe they were trying to get track records for the day.

With no new rain expected on Saturday and Sunday in all fairness the track should have been cut open --the fast times the hard track is not safe, PERIOD

fmolf
06-29-2009, 12:31 PM
With no new rain expected on Saturday and Sunday in all fairness the track should have been cut open --the fast times the hard track is not safe, PERIOD
we do not know what the bottom few inches of track were like .Quite possibly ifthe track had been deeply harrowed it may have made for a sloppy gooey mess.

DALLIEDOG
06-29-2009, 12:37 PM
[QUOTE=fmolf]we do not know what the bottom few inches of track were like .Quite possibly ifthe track had been deeply harrowed it may have made for a sloppy gooey mess.[/QUOTE

I have been playing NYRA FOR AT LEAST 20 YEARS and that comment is crazy --that track was fast and solid underneath --sloppy gooey underneath ?? you are really misled and crazy

OTM Al
06-29-2009, 05:31 PM

They did nothing of the sort. As other posters have mentioned, it was still a drying out track from the more than frequent deluges we have had in NYC over the past month. The track runs fast in that state. Thats all there is to it. They did not scrape it or do anything funny. It just was that way.