PDA

View Full Version : Is this racing junk mail ?

John
07-28-2001, 11:08 AM
new catalog from RPM [ Dave Power ] Man, What crazy systems. Once I had respect for this place now it looks like a Tout printing press. One system called ' In the black" an other called, " Only one II" that picks maidens only,that are very hard to find . About one or two good plays a week or so. Any body else get this catalog or is it a special issue just for me.....

Rick Ransom
07-28-2001, 11:19 AM
I got that catalog too. He claims all of these things are checked on large samples by his database guy, but I'm not so sure. Years ago, he used to give away a lot of interesting things when you bought something, and I liked that just as a way to collect a lot of new ideas. I'd be interested to know if anyone has bought any of these current systems and whether there are any useful ideas in them. I got another mailer from Kenneth Lempenau (the tote board guy), probably from the same mailing list. Anyone know anything pro or con about that guy?

NoDayJob
07-28-2001, 11:36 AM
Caveat emptor. -NDJ

Topcat
07-28-2001, 03:35 PM
I'm not sure what is going on with Dave Powers, aka Clint Tracy, these days but his mailings are taking on more and more of the wild cliams of scam artist out of NY.

If you just take a quick look at some of his latest mailings you'd find the ROI claims are outrageous
with win % such that you would be more than doubling yor money very month. If not for the limitations of the pari-mutueal system it would soon be move over Bill Gates

Barry Meadow ran a few of Powers "winning systems"
through Sport Stat and they just didn't hold up.

Too bad as Powes used to run a fairly reputable operation now i just send his stuff to the trash can..

takeout
07-28-2001, 04:55 PM
Sometimes I think I'm on every sucker list in the country... maybe the world. I used to get this stuff from Mike Warren out of Baltimore, MD. Must've gotten it for ten years or more. It must've cost big bucks to have it printed because much of it would be pretty fancy and printed in color and on slick stock. It was like some of those tournament ads that you get from Vegas. Anyway, I've never purchased the first thing from him but they kept coming, it seemed like forever. Don't know if his football and horseracing tout service is still in business but I think I read something about him being the one that started the Psychic Network, or something like that.

A friend of mine sent away for a book and purposely spelled his name wrong. He said he couldn't believe the amount of mail he received shortly thereafter with his name spelled wrong. It wasn't a handicapping book but I imagine it's the same deal. I think they're making more money selling the names than the books.

I've bought my share of books (good, bad and mediocre) and early-on, my share of worthless systems. Oddly enough, as luck would have it, the first system I ever bought is the only one that ever turned out to be worth a spit. Now what do you suppose were the odds of that?

07-29-2001, 12:12 PM
When I got mine in the mail. I thought if any of these systems could even come close to what they calim they can do, then why would I need more then one of them? From the text each and every one of them can make me rich. So my only decison appears to be which system shall I buy to make me rich? Such a difficult choice I'll guess I won't buy any while I try to figure this out.

tumbleweed
07-29-2001, 01:09 PM
If you look at the catalog and at the ad hype for the systems, you'll see that they claim great win percentages and high ROI's.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but has anybody EVER come up with a simple mechanical pencil and paper system that played lots of races, produced lots of winners, and got a high ROI? Yet on Power's site, you'll find lots of them.

We all know that it just isn't that easy, and that's why I laid into Console's FG method as hard as I did. Like karlskorner here, the hair on the back of my neck stands up on end when somebody shows up claiming that he has a program or system that will make the user rich. Two good friends of mine lost everything they had (which in one case was a considerable amount) chasing such dreams, and I go right into fight mode when I see somebody trying to push some 'get rich quick' system. People like that prey on dreamers and those who want such a system to exist so that they can live the life of ease and luxury. It doesn't work like that, and people get ruined by these heartless vultures.

Sorry for the rant, but it's a pet peeve with me.

Butch

JimG
07-29-2001, 02:08 PM
Has anyone else noted the quality of the catalog Powers sends out has gone down considerably and the number of systems/methods have gone down as well.

Probably does not bode well for the business and these latest offerings may be the latest effort to stay afloat.

Jim

NoDayJob
07-29-2001, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by tumbleweed
If you look at the catalog and at the ad hype for the systems, you'll see that they claim great win percentages and high ROI's.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but has anybody EVER come up with a simple mechanical pencil and paper system that played lots of races, produced lots of winners, and got a high ROI? Yet on Power's site, you'll find lots of them.

Butch

Gosh almighty, you haven't seen the surefire handicapping book and program offered over at Yahoo Horseplayers. Your loss my gain. -NDJ

John
07-29-2001, 07:25 PM
Tumbleweed
I think your right .It must be the bottom of the barrel for them to put stuff out like that .A maiden method that picks a play once in awhile. Give me a break . All I see in the racing form is Maidens. To bad I hope these links help the members