PDA

View Full Version : Mark Johnson observations...

Hajck Hillstrom
06-26-2009, 08:24 PM
With about 2 months now under his belt, I'm curious how the public is adjusting to the race calls of the new track announcer at Churchill Downs, Mark Johnson?

Every time I listen to a call from Churchill these days, I find myself somewhat conflicted. Mr. Johnson is an accomplished race caller... professional and polished, so why do his calls leave me squirming in my seat? Accented callers such as Denman, Gellar, and Wrona don't have that effect on me.

Maybe such calls from the bluegrass just don't seem to fit the landscape. Maybe Luke set the bar at a height difficult for others to scale. Maybe I don't need to be told a race is official twice in every race.... "the 5th race is official, its official," or perhaps the pronunciation of Shine Ola as Shine Ahla just doesn't resonate the same to me as Shine O La.

I want to like him, I really do, as he appears to be a genuinely capable announcer, a strong handicapper, and a very knowledgeable individual, in fact he may be too good.

I guess I'll be patient with my assessment going forward. If Tiger Woods started wearing a red Kilt on Sunday, I imagine I would eventually get used to it.

BeatTheChalk
06-26-2009, 10:12 PM
As most folks know .. I do not care for the announcers from :
UK * and South Africa. What does it say for the sport ..if
one of theee oldest tracks in the world ( CD ) has to hire
a bloke from across the seas. It makes no sense. Of course
Jackson is awful in his own right

DanG
06-26-2009, 11:35 PM
Every time I listen to a call from Churchill these days, I find myself somewhat conflicted. Mr. Johnson is an accomplished race caller... professional and polished, so why do his calls leave me squirming in my seat?

Really Doug? :confused:

Completely subjective but I think he’s clearly one of the best in the country already. :ThmbUp:

Hajck Hillstrom
06-27-2009, 12:12 AM
No argument as to his skills.... maybe it is just a geography issue, although his oft used reference of "debutants" is for some reason off-putting for me.

What is looked upon as a West Coast Aussie/South African accent trend with Denman, Gellar, and Wrona has long proved enjoyable for me, but for some reason a British accent over the Louisville loudspeakers is out of balance with my senses.

Don't get me wrong.... as he is good, very good, but maybe I am looking for a grittier sound from Churchill. Perhaps it an ingrained sound of pretentiousness of the British accent, but what is crazy is that it doesn't bother me at all while listening to it from the likes of Newcastle or Ascot, in fact it adds to the experience.

Maybe I view Churchill as a part of Americana, and listening to Johnson's calls almost Britishsizes the fabric. I'm not saying it is a bad thing, but just that it taking some getting used to for me.

cj
06-27-2009, 12:46 AM
I could take him or leave him, but since he is in America, it would be nice if he spoke American English instead of the British version.

JBmadera
06-27-2009, 04:50 AM
don't know why this is but I love his calls on the big races but day in day out not so much.

jb

ManeMediaMogul
06-27-2009, 05:40 AM
I could take him or leave him, but since he is in America, it would be nice if he spoke American English instead of the British version.

There's an Okie response.

Boomer Sooner!

Ugh.

DanG
06-27-2009, 09:22 AM
Maybe I view Churchill as a part of Americana, and listening to Johnson's calls almost Britishsizes the fabric.
Are we still fighting the Red Coats Doug? Lol

If we take your view to its logical "authentic Americana" conclusion then we might have to announce in my fathers native tongue…Cherokee.

rokitman
06-27-2009, 10:04 AM
He doesn't belong at Churchill. That's yer problem.

Fix it.

The old-fashioned way.

strapper
06-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Maybe he's an acquired taste to some but I fine him accurate, interesting, and observant. Speaks the King's English which is, to my ears, classier than our substandard version. I would love to sit in on a room full of proper Englishmen in a gentlemen's club!

fmolf
06-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Maybe he's an acquired taste to some but I fine him accurate, interesting, and observant. Speaks the King's English which is, to my ears, classier than our substandard version. I would love to sit in on a room full of proper Englishmen in a gentlemen's club!i think churchill made a big mistake.their were so many accomplished racecallers to choose from.I think Trevor Denman flies on the west coast...A proper englishman in the heart of american horse country?At its oldest most prestigious track!Another shining example of racetrack executives marketing genius! :rolleyes: ....... :D

Tom
06-27-2009, 10:27 AM
I don't care what country he comes from, he is the worst I have ever heard, bar none. Glad CD is not a track I ever look at. He would drive me away for sure.

andymays
06-27-2009, 10:32 AM
The Aussie or South African accent is preferable. Having said that He's just OK!

cj's dad
06-27-2009, 10:54 AM
IMO - He stinks !!

Job should have gone to am American, preferably Larry Collmus.

bettheoverlay
06-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Does anyone know if there are any American racecallers working in other parts of the English speaking world?

craigbraddick
06-27-2009, 01:32 PM
To my knowledge there are no US Announcers in other parts of the world.

I am a Brit working at Arapahoe Park (and I fill in at Turfway and Charles Town) but have lived here since I married an American in 2001.

I think though I am far enough detached from Mark Johnson's style of racecalling that people do not seem to think "Oh, there's two brits here."

If you listen to my calls they are of a different style to Mark's whose skills I admire.

Craig

fmolf
06-27-2009, 01:39 PM
To my knowledge there are no US Announcers in other parts of the world.

I am a Brit working at Arapahoe Park (and I fill in at Turfway and Charles Town) but have lived here since I married an American in 2001.

I think though I am far enough detached from Mark Johnson's style of racecalling that people do not seem to think "Oh, there's two brits here."

If you listen to my calls they are of a different style to Mark's whose skills I admire.

Craig
I was wondering if you were going to log into this debate craig.Their is nothing personal against the british.Having an Englishman calling races at churchhill is akin to having an american announcer at Royal Ascot!I doubt that that will ever happen.

MickJ26
06-27-2009, 01:41 PM
I kind of like the guy.
I haven't heard all of his calls, though.
What I look for in a race caller....
....entertain and inform.
....don't overstate the obvious.
....don't use trite cliches.
....don't break out into contrived histrionics.
So far, I think Mr. Johnson wins on all the judges cards.

Hajck Hillstrom
06-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Their is nothing personal against the british.Having an Englishman calling races at churchhill is akin to having an american announcer at Royal Ascot!I doubt that that will ever happen.....and I wonder what kind of chance a Vic Stauffer or a Tom Durkin would have landing a job at Cheltenham?

I don't see it as much of a rebel firing at the Redcoats from the safety of the forest as much as it being a very strong and solid square peg trying to fit in a very deep round hole.

(Don't want Andicap lobbing vollies at me from across the pond.) :eek:

slew101
06-27-2009, 02:31 PM
I like Johnson's calls and his pre-race handicapping. Often looks for value.

Overall, I don't pay much attention to announcers. It's just like the NFL. It's about the game, in this case the horses, not the announcers.

fmolf
06-27-2009, 02:31 PM
....and I wonder what kind of chance a Vic Stauffer or a Tom Durkin would have landing a job at Cheltenham?

I don't see it as much of a rebel firing at the Redcoats from the safety of the forest as much as it being a very strong and solid square peg trying to fit in a very deep round hole.

(Don't want Andicap lobbing vollies at me from across the pond.) :eek:
:D I understand... thats is why i prefaced myself with a disclaimer .....I think he is a good race caller ...but its churchhill for goodness sakes...the premier american racecallers job!

craigbraddick
06-27-2009, 03:24 PM
I was wondering if you were going to log into this debate craig.Their is nothing personal against the british.Having an Englishman calling races at churchhill is akin to having an american announcer at Royal Ascot!I doubt that that will ever happen.

Hi Fmolf!

Not personally taken at all. I understand the sentiment entirely. Also employing a caller who at least lives in the USA and has dedicated their life to part of the culture means that if an American had got the job, other openings would have occured for up and coming Announcers which in this economic climate is what we need.

Not taking anything away from Mark who as I said earlier, I admire his work a lot.

I would be happy for Mark to continue at CD as long as they are happy with him, but it does have to be said there is a need to promote good talent over bad talent from people either born here in the USA or those who have immigrated and lived here for some time.

On a personal level I just want to make a good living. Calling the BIG races would be the icing on the cake as oppose to the goal for me. My talent and work ethic will take me as far as I can. Be that at the top or forever in the middle of the pack, I won't give up trying every day though!

Craig

Hajck Hillstrom
06-27-2009, 03:26 PM
....Mr. Johnson state that D. Wayne Lukas paid 800,000 guineas for a Hennessy colt at the Keeneland sale. I guess that is valuable information for someone that understands the British conversion rate, but I wonder if Robert Baker has any idea that this is the value of his colt.

Well, I guess he does now.

fmolf
06-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Hi Fmolf!

Not personally taken at all. I understand the sentiment entirely. Also employing a caller who at least lives in the USA and has dedicated their life to part of the culture means that if an American had got the job, other openings would have occured for up and coming Announcers which in this economic climate is what we need.

Not taking anything away from Mark who as I said earlier, I admire his work a lot.

I would be happy for Mark to continue at CD as long as they are happy with him, but it does have to be said there is a need to promote good talent over bad talent from people either born here in the USA or those who have immigrated and lived here for some time.

On a personal level I just want to make a good living. Calling the BIG races would be the icing on the cake as oppose to the goal for me. My talent and work ethic will take me as far as I can. Be that at the top or forever in the middle of the pack, I won't give up trying every day though!

Craig
i do not have access to arapahoe parks feed being on the east coast but i am sure you do a fine job....i say this because you obviously care about your job(i remember your first thread about your prerace tv show.)If you get a bigger job more power to you.I have nothing bad to say about any foreign racecallers and mark is very well prepared and very knowledgeable about the game.I believe Churchhill made a bold and calculated choice,this is america and the land of opportunity.I hope that his race calling will grow(as i hope yours does) and take on a more american flavor. As he calls more races and gets used to the american game i am sure he will find what works best for his new audience,as i am sure you will.Continued good luck to you craig

Humph
06-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Speaks the King's English which is, to my ears, classier than our substandard version. I would love to sit in on a room full of proper Englishmen in a gentlemen's club!

I wonder what it is that makes all too many Americans perceive the typical Englishman as being a member of the upper-classes ?

craigbraddick
06-27-2009, 04:56 PM
I am lower class in some ways higher class in others.

cj
06-27-2009, 09:42 PM

Boomer Sooner!

Ugh.

I've live in OKC for about a year now, and have lived all over the world. I wouldn't really classify myself an Okie, not that there is anything wrong with that. I am, however, an American.

point given
06-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strapper
Speaks the King's English which is, to my ears, classier than our substandard version. I would love to sit in on a room full of proper Englishmen in a gentlemen's club!

I wonder what it is that makes all too many Americans perceive the typical Englishman as being a member of the upper-classes ?
Perhaps its from hearing too many loud mouths bastardized diction of the language as in " tro out da tree, i got no trees " :lol:

cj
06-27-2009, 09:48 PM

Having worked with Brits, Scots, Welsh, and Irish, I can assure you they speak English just as "poorly" as we do. I wasn't even talking about speaking properly, just his seeming desire to use words that are not in common use in the United States. What is the point of that?

Tom
06-27-2009, 10:53 PM
Trying to make himself seem "upper crust?" :rolleyes:

Using a non-American monetary amount for an American sale to an American audience was low class - phony at it's worst.:ThmbDown::ThmbDown::ThmbDown:

fmolf
06-28-2009, 12:14 AM
Trying to make himself seem "upper crust?" :rolleyes:

Using a non-American monetary amount for an American sale to an American audience was low class - phony at it's worst.:ThmbDown::ThmbDown::ThmbDown:who was makin fun of da way we noo yawkers tawk! :lol:

RobinFromIreland
06-28-2009, 01:18 AM
...Having an Englishman calling races at churchhill is akin to having an american announcer at Royal Ascot!I doubt that that will ever happen...

An Australian, Jim McGrath, has called many years at Royal Ascot for the main TV coverage on the BBC.

Bruddah
06-28-2009, 01:40 AM
IMO - He stinks !!

Daddy"O you get an Amen Bruddah!

Just another hoity toity "Blue Blood" move towards Globalization of American Racing. Frankly, their arrogance flat p*sses me off. I can't for the life of me understand why red blooded Americans with a few bucks in their pockets want to be like Euro Trash. :confused: :faint:

Hajck Hillstrom
06-28-2009, 02:04 PM
.....in the hood!" :confused:

This was Mr. Johnson's description of Jake The Snake's 3rd win in a row as he was approaching the finish line. My problem is that the last two wins were at Churchill, and the 3rd win back was at Oaklawn. Interesting perspective... Kentucky/Arkansas as the hood. Always good to be enlightened by the British perspective, as it certainly broadens my horizons.

These are the lines that cause me to squirm. Mark's reference to "the Hood" wasn't only inaccurate, but somewhat inappropriate, and leaves me to express my frustration here.

jasperson
06-28-2009, 03:16 PM
I find him difficult to understand and that is why I don't like him. I really like the race caller at Woodbine.
Jack

Hajck Hillstrom
06-28-2009, 03:19 PM
If you listen to my calls they are of a different style to Mark's whose skills I admire.I just listened to a race from Arapahoe for the first time, and found your call very comfortable to listen to. You don't attempt to do too much with your call, which is the feeling I get from Mr. Johnson at times. It is hard for me to explain, but a British accent over the oval at Aurora Colorado has zero negative impact on me, whereas one in Louisville Kentucky does.

By the way, your accent is quite light in comparison to Mark Johnson's. It is either becoming Americanized, or perhaps just not as pronounced. Perhaps with time, Mr. Johnson's too will diminish in destinction.

BTW, I enjoyed your call. Keep up the good work and all the best to you and yours! :ThmbUp:

toetoe
06-28-2009, 04:51 PM

Boomer Sooner!

Ugh.

There's a "Look at the pretty ponies" bee yotch response. :ThmbDown: .

I wonder who got her vote last November. I'm sure she's leading the fight against intolerance. :rolleyes: .

toetoe
06-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Vic Stauffer landing a job at Cheltenham

I think the British need an infusion of Yankee "culture," such as:

" ... needs to have a take and not suck." :rolleyes:

DanG
06-29-2009, 08:05 AM
You don't attempt to do too much with your call, which is the feeling I get from Mr. Johnson at times. It is hard for me to explain, but a British accent over the oval at Aurora Colorado has zero negative impact on me, whereas one in Louisville Kentucky does.

The fact that we are a complete ‘180 on this thread actually eliminates a theory I had Doug. I was starting to think we were separated at birth by how often we agreed on issues. :D

Hajck Hillstrom
06-29-2009, 05:01 PM
The fact that we are a complete ‘180 on this thread I don't think that we are 180 degrees apart.... more like about 10 degrees. I've stated that I think Mark Johnson is very good, to which we agree completely, and I have even stated that he "might be too good."

Our difference lies in our perceptions of the situation. Is the glass half full or half empty, whereas we both agree there is a half glass of water on the table.

We aren't that far apart.... so I'll see you at the family reunion? ;)

DanG
06-29-2009, 06:08 PM
I don't think that we are 180 degrees apart.... more like about 10 degrees.

We aren't that far apart.... so I'll see you at the family reunion? ;)
LOL!

It’s a deal mate. :ThmbUp:

Is it acceptable to say “Carry on, Carry on” in a British accent? :)

Hajck Hillstrom
06-30-2009, 02:40 AM
Is it acceptable to say “Carry on, Carry on” in a British accent? :)Perfectly acceptably.... only not in Louisville.... to me... on an overcast day....unless it is after the nightcap. :D

Coincidence? Back in the late eighties, I had a favorite horse, and what a physical specimen he was too. I was tending bar in those days and even created a drink named in his honor. A tasty little concoction called an EASY GOER. His career was only marred by a bald eagle, Mr. Charlie Whittingham and his little colt, Sunday Silence. Yeah, EASY GOER could have been considered one of the all-timers, and in my book he always will be.

Did you know that he never ran out of the money?

DanG
06-30-2009, 08:06 AM
Perfectly acceptably.... only not in Louisville.... to me... on an overcast day....unless it is after the nightcap. :D

Coincidence? Back in the late eighties, I had a favorite horse, and what a physical specimen he was too. I was tending bar in those days and even created a drink named in his honor. A tasty little concoction called an EASY GOER. His career was only marred by a bald eagle, Mr. Charlie Whittingham and his little colt, Sunday Silence. Yeah, EASY GOER could have been considered one of the all-timers, and in my book he always will be.

Did you know that he never ran out of the money?
That’s my boy Doug; I know Easy all too well.

If you can believe how over the top I still am over that animal…To this day I won’t watch his Preakness loss. :blush:

One final note on an “accent” on American soil. I have 4-5 very close friends from NJ and we take turns visiting each other every year. I’ve been friends with them since I was a child. One of them is from Britain and while he’s lost much of his accent over times his tone and phrases are just second nature to me. I used to love when he had family visit and they would have a “chin wag” as they call it.

If Mark maintained his full British accent and decided to get out of importing music and go into calling races…I can’t imagine telling this man his accent is not acceptable in a nation essentially born of immigrants.

It’s just me I guess…If PA actually represents a cross section of racing opinion I never knew I was in the minority on so many subjects. Surfaces, accents, rebates, will the Rays win the wildcard, does a fish wake up wet?

Interesting thread; thanks for starting it and I need to try your Easy Goer sometime...shaken, not stirred. :cool:

Hajck Hillstrom
06-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Interesting thread; thanks for starting it and I need to try your Easy Goer sometime...shaken, not stirred. :cool:Absolut(ly)! (Key ingredient) You definitely have it right on with 007 method. I once had to cuff a bartender upside the head when I caught him muddling it. :D

exactaplayer
06-30-2009, 03:00 PM
This may or may not be of interest to those here but. Last night I was working on my insomnia by losing a few bucks on the Aussie races. For some reason they had the mike on between races. The announcer was repeating the horse names in rapid fire. "go red, go red, go red,... easy goer, easy goer, easy goer" he went through each horse in the race and backed up on some. I assumed he was doing this to assure correct calls during the race.:confused:

cj
06-30-2009, 05:18 PM
This may or may not be of interest to those here but. Last night I was working on my insomnia by losing a few bucks on the Aussie races. For some reason they had the mike on between races. The announcer was repeating the horse names in rapid fire. "go red, go red, go red,... easy goer, easy goer, easy goer" he went through each horse in the race and backed up on some. I assumed he was doing this to assure correct calls during the race.:confused:

This is what most announcers do while watching the horses in the post parade and warming up to memorize the names and silks.

craigbraddick
06-30-2009, 06:45 PM
I do the same when the horses get on to the track.

I have sheets made up with all the details, stats and the jockeys silks sketched out and put it on a stand. When the horses are on the track I am repeating names, looking for distinguishing markings etc.

Craig

fmolf
06-30-2009, 07:12 PM
I do the same when the horses get on to the track.

I have sheets made up with all the details, stats and the jockeys silks sketched out and put it on a stand. When the horses are on the track I am repeating names, looking for distinguishing markings etc.

Craigtom durkin uses crayons and colored pencils to color the horses silks in on his program as i believe luke k. did the same type of thing also.Craig have you experimented with anything similar to this ...kind of color coding the horses names to their silks?

andymays
06-30-2009, 07:22 PM

I believe Michael Wrona does that.

craigbraddick
06-30-2009, 08:33 PM
Hi Fmolf:

I divide a sheet of paper into boxes (one for each horse) and then use a stamp of a jockeys outline for each runner and color in the jockeys silks using markers.

I then write in the horses name and number. And in pencil write in the name of the jockey. I use a self devised short hand for other details: For example: "3?" next to the horses name means the horse is going for three wins in a row. An F or an M next tothe name means a filly or mare and so on. "+" means it is a front runner, "-" is a late closer...

Then in a differeing color I will write out different markings. "Nosb" for noseband, G in a circle for a gray.

When that is done, I write in the race conditions and underneath any significant pieces of form the runners may have. I will also do little thumb sketches of the colors on the race program and use a highlighter to highlight career stats and write out phonetically the names of owners and trainers if I need too.

I do all of this as soon as the final declerations come out. At Arapahoe Park, I do Fridays cards on Wednesday, Saturdays cards on Thursday and Sundays cards on Friday - though for most tracks I do them the evening before racing and it takes 3-4 hours to prepare all the sheets.

I then memorize the horses between races. I credit my system as a mixture of how two Announcers who I greatly admired as a kid, Raleigh Gilbert and John Penney did their homework. I still have sheets of theirs (and from many others) from the 1970's and 1980's when I would pester them as a 12 year old looking for a spare Announcing Booth to practice from in the UK!

During the race I use a pair of Zeiss 10x40 ClassiC binoculars. The last all metal construction binoculars Zeiss made.

Regards,

Craig.

fmolf
06-30-2009, 09:41 PM
Hi Fmolf:

I divide a sheet of paper into boxes (one for each horse) and then use a stamp of a jockeys outline for each runner and color in the jockeys silks using markers.

I then write in the horses name and number. And in pencil write in the name of the jockey. I use a self devised short hand for other details: For example: "3?" next to the horses name means the horse is going for three wins in a row. An F or an M next tothe name means a filly or mare and so on. "+" means it is a front runner, "-" is a late closer...

Then in a differeing color I will write out different markings. "Nosb" for noseband, G in a circle for a gray.

When that is done, I write in the race conditions and underneath any significant pieces of form the runners may have. I will also do little thumb sketches of the colors on the race program and use a highlighter to highlight career stats and write out phonetically the names of owners and trainers if I need too.

I do all of this as soon as the final declerations come out. At Arapahoe Park, I do Fridays cards on Wednesday, Saturdays cards on Thursday and Sundays cards on Friday - though for most tracks I do them the evening before racing and it takes 3-4 hours to prepare all the sheets.

I then memorize the horses between races. I credit my system as a mixture of how two Announcers who I greatly admired as a kid, Raleigh Gilbert and John Penney did their homework. I still have sheets of theirs (and from many others) from the 1970's and 1980's when I would pester them as a 12 year old looking for a spare Announcing Booth to practice from in the UK!

During the race I use a pair of Zeiss 10x40 ClassiC binoculars. The last all metal construction binoculars Zeiss made.

Regards,

Craig.Thanks for sharing your preparation routine with us!I find it quite interesting.I believe what you refer to as a nose band american horseman refer to as a shadow roll? A soft thick band of cotton across the top of the nose to prevent a horse from jumping his shadow.Was this what you were referring to?

craigbraddick
06-30-2009, 09:45 PM
Indeed!

Alas, I have never quite been able to pick up that piece of vernacular. Still I think most people know what I mean when I call a race and I say "XXX in the pink noseband."

Or maybe, I need to rethink that!

Craig

fmolf
06-30-2009, 10:02 PM
Indeed!

Alas, I have never quite been able to pick up that piece of vernacular. Still I think most people know what I mean when I call a race and I say "XXX in the pink noseband."

Or maybe, I need to rethink that!

Craig
:D ...just trying to get you used to american racing vernacular....nosebands are what people wear at the pool when they do not want water up their nose!

craigbraddick
06-30-2009, 10:16 PM
LOL!

I have always called them nose pinchers!!! No wonder I have had funny looks!

Craig

fmolf
06-30-2009, 10:33 PM
LOL!

I have always called them nose pinchers!!! No wonder I have had funny looks!

Craig
the woman will still love your accent and the men will apreciate your americanization as it relates to racecalling.....

FenceBored
06-30-2009, 10:48 PM
Hi Fmolf:

Would you still prefer to do it by hand if you could get a piece of software to do it for you?

I ask because I find that with a lot of things the tedious approach gets more information firmly in memory than a prepared sheet.

fmolf
07-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Would you still prefer to do it by hand if you could get a piece of software to do it for you?

I ask because I find that with a lot of things the tedious approach gets more information firmly in memory than a prepared sheet.
i agree when i want to remember something writing it definetly helps

craigbraddick
07-01-2009, 01:31 AM
Hi Fenceboard!

I have experimented using some software but ultimately I think doing it by hand tends to help it stick in the mind easier.

A couple of things I have noticed...firstly never do this when you are tried as mistakes tend to be made transposing the information and secondly, although its good mental work, doing the sheets and memorizing, if I suddenly have a brain drain and all the info leaves my head, I still have the sheets to get through the race. Though, generally, once they are under way I only occasionally glance down at the sheet.

Craig

fmolf
07-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Hi Fenceboard!

I have experimented using some software but ultimately I think doing it by hand tends to help it stick in the mind easier.

A couple of things I have noticed...firstly never do this when you are tried as mistakes tend to be made transposing the information and secondly, although its good mental work, doing the sheets and memorizing, if I suddenly have a brain drain and all the info leaves my head, I still have the sheets to get through the race. Though, generally, once they are under way I only occasionally glance down at the sheet.

Craig
or after a couple of pints of mackesons!

strapper
07-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Somehow I doubt it but you do bring up an interesting point. American tracks seem to be very impartial to where the announcers come from.

Does anyone know if there are any American racecallers working in other parts of the English speaking world?

strapper
07-02-2009, 07:07 PM
I have heard the Aussie announcers rehearsing as well. Why do they not know the mike is still on or do they even care? It's interesting to hear them rehearsing, though, but I would hate for anyone to hear my previous rehearsing stuff whem I'm trying to memorize a field.

Relwob Owner
07-02-2009, 07:33 PM
IMO - He stinks !!

I cant understand why the job "should" the job have gone to an American......I would hope that you are saying that you think that it should have gone to someone without an accent....if not, seems like that runs the risk of being a bit close minded, doesnt it?

craigbraddick
07-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Everyone has an accent. To me, every person I meet, almost without exception has an accent, I am surrounded by them! ;)

Craig

jballscalls
07-02-2009, 08:26 PM
I cant understand why the job "should" the job have gone to an American......I would hope that you are saying that you think that it should have gone to someone without an accent....if not, seems like that runs the risk of being a bit close minded, doesnt it?

it's not being closed minded, its just a matter of taste and preference. everyone has different preferences and tastes. when it comes to announcers, some people love accents, some hate it. and neither is wrong or close minded, its just a preference

Relwob Owner
07-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Everyone has an accent. To me, every person I meet, almost without exception has an accent, I am surrounded by them! ;)

Craig

And that is how it should be!:)....I just dont get why people would say to hire only an American and was hoping it was because of a preference for a certain accent or lack thereof....the idea of just hiring based on where someone is from is hard to fathom...it would be quite boring if everyone sounded alike or had phrases or words that are only "American", wouldnt it?

Relwob Owner
07-02-2009, 08:31 PM
it's not being closed minded, its just a matter of taste and preference. everyone has different preferences and tastes. when it comes to announcers, some people love accents, some hate it. and neither is wrong or close minded, its just a preference

I hope that was what was intended but wondered because it would have been "they should have hired someone without an accent", instead of not hiring someone who isnt an American.....

craigbraddick
07-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Hi Relwob:

Actually I think many Announcers in the USA sound the same, but of course I am not from here so do not pick up on the regional variances unless they are very different.

There is definitely an evolution taking place in US racecalling and part of the challenge for those of us trying to break in, I think, is daring to be different but not obnoxious.

Craig.

cj
07-02-2009, 11:38 PM
Hi Relwob:

Actually I think many Announcers in the USA sound the same, but of course I am not from here so do not pick up on the regional variances unless they are very different.

There is definitely an evolution taking place in US racecalling and part of the challenge for those of us trying to break in, I think, is daring to be different but not obnoxious.

Craig.

In the next 10 years or so, I imagine the number of announcing jobs will be diminishing greatly as more and more tracks close. I would imagine it will be important to be good. Then again, Presque Isle isn't going anywhere and that guy is probably the worst I've heard in nearly 30 years of listening to race calls.

Relwob Owner
07-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Hi Relwob:

Craig.

I agree... I know that the accent is a polarizing thing but I generally dont mind it too much. I personally like some of the new and different phrases that some race callers from outside the US have used and find that they spice things up a bit...I generally feel like the race is a story and the best announcers treat as such like Mr. Stouffer(has always been one of my favorites, even before I heard him on this forum).

I have heard your calls and think that you have a very good voice and do a very good job(I think I was a little hard on you when I first heard you at CT, but can imagine that is a toucgher than normal place to call because of the quick turns and rather frenetic action during the race). However, you seem to be very interested in hearing feedback and I think that gives you a huge leg up in whatever you do...I will be following you and wish you the best.

Robert Goren
07-03-2009, 12:03 AM
I don't much care for Johnson's race calls. But I have learn to respect his picks. The best race caller is oakland's Terry Wallace.

Bruddah
07-03-2009, 01:12 AM
I don't much care for Johnson's race calls. But I have learn to respect his picks. The best race caller is oakland's Terry Wallace.

I'm sure Terry Wallace appreciates your judgment and support. I enjoy his calls as well. However, Terry is located at Oaklawn, Hot Springs, Arkansas. He very rarely makes calls at Oakland. Don't worry, you aren't the first or last to confuse the names. :D

By the way, you have a very nice avatar.

strapper
07-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Do you guys feel it is imperative for an announcer to make handicapping selections? :confused:

Robert Goren
07-03-2009, 10:12 AM
However, Terry is located at Oaklawn, Hot Springs, Arkansas. He very rarely makes calls at Oakland. Don't worry, you aren't the first or last to confuse the names. :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:
However he used to make calls in Omaha which where I first heard him.

Robert Goren
07-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Do you guys feel it is imperative for an announcer to make handicapping selections? :confused:
No, but if he is good at it then it is a big plus. Johnson put me on a decent winner in a turf race last night. I do not bet all of his picks, but I take into account any insight he might have.

tribecaagent
07-03-2009, 10:33 AM
In the next 10 years or so, I imagine the number of announcing jobs will be diminishing greatly as more and more tracks close. I would imagine it will be important to be good. Then again, Presque Isle isn't going anywhere and that guy is probably the worst I've heard in nearly 30 years of listening to race calls.

I think Keith Jones at Philly Park and the guy from Presque Isle are nip & tuck with 70 yards to go. Did you happen to catch Jones' call from last Saturday's stake - the Levine something - the race that Kodiak Cowboy won? I could not understand one word he said. He sounds like a man trying to call a race with a severe head cold eating a bowl of clam chowder.

craigbraddick
07-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Hi Strapper!

I think it can help. This year instead of doing a piece to camera like they now do at CD, I decided just to voiceover some of the horses in the paddock. I give the TV people my picks in advance, so we go from one horse to another.

On the suggestion of someone here, I am looking at the feasibility of a "Shoe Cam" for next year so we can see the horses feet in close up before each race, maybe in a box when we go through the horses in the post parade.

Although I give my picks for Tri's and Super's (I actually do some research as opposed to doing it on the hoof) probably the thing to look out for is I often emphasise a long shot who can be very good value for a show bet.

Craig.

miesque
07-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Since I am in the process of watching replays right now, I have to comment that while I have appreciated Mark Johnson's race calling style since his trial week at Churchill, I have a greater appreciation for his highly detailed, descriptive calls when watching replays. It may be because I am in a more focused, analytical mode when watching replays and hence more rapidly absorbing and synthesizing data, but I thought it was worth a mention. While I am on the topic, since I watch so many SoCal replays, gotta also give props to Vic on his calls from a replay perspective. :ThmbUp:

coach_lowe
07-05-2009, 02:28 AM

Have to agree with that one C.J. That guy is pure comic relief :D I used to think Mike Battaglia was bad, but this guy is the worst hands down.

DanG
07-05-2009, 07:52 AM
Since I am in the process of watching replays right now, I have to comment that while I have appreciated Mark Johnson's race calling style since his trial week at Churchill, I have a greater appreciation for his highly detailed, descriptive calls when watching replays. It may be because I am in a more focused, analytical mode when watching replays and hence more rapidly absorbing and synthesizing data, but I thought it was worth a mention. While I am on the topic, since I watch so many SoCal replays, gotta also give props to Vic on his calls from a replay perspective. :ThmbUp:
Two of the best from that perspective and a great point Theresia.

craigbraddick
07-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Hi Miesque!

WOuld you be kind neough to point out what kind of in-depth stuff you are looking for and what you get from the racecallers you mentioned.

I am always looking to improve my calls so would appreciate your input.

Thanks

Craig.

Tom
07-05-2009, 12:40 PM

Yes, and the program seller, and the hot dog vendor, and the bathroom attendant.........Cross off each one's pick and play what is left. :D

I think if an announcer can get the call of half the races right he is doing a good job. Leave the knucklehead stuff to the knuckleheads.