PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Screen Problem

OverlayHunter
06-26-2009, 02:41 PM
I have an older (5 years old or so) Winbook laptop. For no apparent reason the screen keeps turning to black (turning off?) between 2 and 20 seconds into booting up. So far the time interval seems to be somewhat erratic but the tendency seems to be for the time interval to be getting progressively shorter.

The screen starts out appearing to be normal - you can see the boot process starting on the screen and then it just goes black. (BTW, normal for that screen is an occasional strong magenta cast for the past couple of years that is more prominent on bootup.)

Looking at the hard drive indicator light, it appears the boot process is proceeding even though the black screen doesn't show any of the progress; i.e., the machine is not turning off.

Any ideas on how to fix this or is it time to play "Taps"?

Dave Schwartz
06-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Taps.

The cost to fix what is wrong is probably as much as a brand new, low-end laptop would cost (assuming that you can even get parts).

The new laptop will probably be significantly more powerful.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Warren Henry
06-26-2009, 06:08 PM
Taps.

The cost to fix what is wrong is probably as much as a brand new, low-end laptop would cost (assuming that you can even get parts).

The new laptop will probably be significantly more powerful.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

I am a software guy not a hardware guy, so take any hardware advice coming from me with an entire salt shaker.

Sounds like the display itself might be bad.

If you don't wish to pay the price of a new laptop, another possibility is to buy an entire laptop of the same model that you currently have (probably available on eBay). It would be either cheaper than repairing yours or would be a source of inexpensive parts.

OverlayHunter
06-26-2009, 06:17 PM
Thanks, guys.

I was afraid that was going to be the verdict.

WH, we have another machine that I can substitute, I just have to spend a couple of hours updating some things on it.

gillenr
06-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Check my thread - same subject.

gregrph
06-27-2009, 12:57 AM
I replaced my wifes cracked laptop screen a couple months ago. Not hard at all. Do a google search for laptop screen replacements and you will find soources for the screen. Call them up with make and model in hand. Took me an hour or less. Screen was $165. Ig you take it to computer repair shop it will cost you an arm and a leg.
Greg

I have an older (5 years old or so) Winbook laptop. For no apparent reason the screen keeps turning to black (turning off?) between 2 and 20 seconds into booting up. So far the time interval seems to be somewhat erratic but the tendency seems to be for the time interval to be getting progressively shorter.

The screen starts out appearing to be normal - you can see the boot process starting on the screen and then it just goes black. (BTW, normal for that screen is an occasional strong magenta cast for the past couple of years that is more prominent on bootup.)

Looking at the hard drive indicator light, it appears the boot process is proceeding even though the black screen doesn't show any of the progress; i.e., the machine is not turning off.

Any ideas on how to fix this or is it time to play "Taps"?

Dave Schwartz
06-27-2009, 01:59 AM
If you don't wish to pay the price of a new laptop, another possibility is to buy an entire laptop of the same model that you currently have...

Boy, is that a good idea!

I replaced my wifes cracked laptop screen a couple months ago. Not hard at all. Do a google search for laptop screen replacements and you will find soources for the screen. Call them up with make and model in hand. Took me an hour or less. Screen was $165.

And $165 is still, I think, too much to spend on a 5-yr old laptop when a new one might cost you $499.

Dave

098poi
06-27-2009, 05:28 AM
Overlay,
Regardless of the outcome of your display or your laptop the fact that you are having this issue means this is an excellent time to back up any data you may want in case of total failure. You have been warned. Good luck.

OverlayHunter
06-27-2009, 05:54 AM
Thanks again to all. At this point it looks like cranking up our second oldest laptop, which is adequate for the purpose, is the best solution.

JustRalph
06-28-2009, 05:44 AM
make sure you don't have it set to external video...........

and if you do...........switch it back

if that isn't it.........switch it to external and plug in a monitor and see how it acts...........

OverlayHunter
06-28-2009, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the reminder, JR.

I'll double check that before mothballing it.

gregrph
06-28-2009, 08:41 PM
Boy, is that a good idea!

And $165 is still, I think, too much to spend on a 5-yr old laptop when a new one might cost you $499.

Dave.
Yes, $165 on a 5yo laptop IS too much. Hers is less than a year. I don't buy extended warranties. To us it made sense...this time! I DID ask for a quite from a big box service dept. and they said in the $4-500 neighborhood. That's when I went to look at their equivalent laptops and they were $6-700. I think it made sense. We saved $, I learned how to do it. Looks and works great. Greg (now to keep my son from being so rough w/ it!)

tupper
06-29-2009, 02:44 AM
Sounds like it could be a problem with your video hardware or there is a chance that it could be a driver/software problem.

Does an external monitor work? If so, there could be something wrong with your screen.

Does the video always run through the BIOS stage of boot-up? If so, the fault could be software (or a slim possibility is a bad hard drive).

Have you tried booting another OS?

Booting free Linux live CD could help in determining whether the problem is hardware or software. Download a small live CD distro, like Puppy, Damn Small, Slitaz or Tiny Core. Burn the image to a blank CD. This method is very easy and quick, and it will only cost the price of one blank CD.

If one of these Live CDs boots (or even if it doesn't boot) and the video stays on, then your problem is probably software related (or it could be a bad hard disk).

If the video doesn't stay on with a Live CD, then there is likely something wrong with the video circuitry and/or with the screen.