PDA

View Full Version : ESPN coverage for Rachel and Zenyatta?

Zenyatta To Crush
06-24-2009, 04:58 PM
I see they moved the Vanity post time to 5:30 PM Eastern. It was originally gonna be at 8:00 PM Eastern. Rachel runs at 5:17 PM Eastern. Maybe they only moved the Vanity so they can get more money in the pool, but if ESPN doesn't pick up coverage from 5-6 PM Eastern, they are idiots. I'm seriously gonna be pissed at ESPN if they can't make an adjustment and show these races.

point given
06-24-2009, 06:13 PM
The Goose race is on live 5-5:30pm on MSG Plus with TLG hosting.

joanied
06-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Z to crush....I looked up the scheduel for every damned ESPN channel they have...nothing. if they show the Vanity and/or Mother Goose...it ain't on the scheduel...golf, cars, poker...all the usual crap.

I know TVG &HRTV will cover these races...but it's hard (for me) to find exactly when is the time to watch...I sometimes can't be in the house at race time, so I record everything...and recording TVG &HRTV is a bitch because the shows overlap and the TV recorder gets confused...
I also found 2 different post times for the Mother Goose...3:15 & 4pm...and nothing for the Vanity.

I'm getting stressed out...
anyone here know what time TVG and/or HRTV will televise the MG and Vanity???

HELP:faint:

joanied
06-24-2009, 06:29 PM
The Goose race is on live 5-5:30pm on MSG Plus with TLG hosting.

PT... don't know about Z to crush....but I don't get either of those channels:(
aaarrrggghhh!!!!

point given
06-24-2009, 06:37 PM
PT... don't know about Z to crush....but I don't get either of those channels:(
aaarrrggghhh!!!!

Madison Square Garden + (plus) is the channel and TLG is a poster here Andy Serling. NYRA will be having 5 saturday special broadcasts on it (MSG+) too during saratoga, so find it on your dish.;)

joanied
06-24-2009, 06:54 PM
Point Given...I checked my Dish information...not there :mad:
I really wish stupid ESPN would televise these races....sure would make it simple.
I guess I'll have to try and figure out the approximate post times for both races, for my time, which is Mountain Time, and hope I can record them both on my TV.

Zenyatta To Crush
06-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Point Given...I checked my Dish information...not there :mad:
I really wish stupid ESPN would televise these races....sure would make it simple.
I guess I'll have to try and figure out the approximate post times for both races, for my time, which is Mountain Time, and hope I can record them both on my TV.
Yeah, I think ESPN is wasting a big opportunity here. They should totally be showing these races, even if they are gonna be blow outs. I'm gonna have to watch it online now, or simulcast. It seems like national coverage show too many crappy prep races, like the rushaway and lanes end, instead of showing the true stars of our sport.

Rachel should be running about 3:17 pm Mountain and Zenyatta will run around 3:30 Mountain.

joanied
06-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I think ESPN is wasting a big opportunity here. They should totally be showing these races, even if they are gonna be blow outs. I'm gonna have to watch it online now, or simulcast. It seems like national coverage show too many crappy prep races, like the rushaway and lanes end, instead of showing the true stars of our sport.

Rachel should be running about 3:17 pm Mountain and Zenyatta will run around 3:30 Mountain.

Agreed....ESPN sucks!! They are supposed to be supporting racing, but looks to me Poker and Soccer and geeze, I dunno...pig wrestling...are more important.
I like to watch the race replays on line...but the actual race, for me, it's gotta be on the TV.
You are right about all the stupid prep races they show...what's with that anyway...here they have a chance to televise 2 stars, and they opt out...
plus, I like to watch all the stuff before the race...and I LOVE watching Zenyatta in the post parade doing her Dressage steps...I wanna see everything and I can't help that because I'm in Wyoming, I'm so far removed form the track it makes me sad...so it's important for me, with the big races, to see everything. Crap!!

Now if I watch on TVG and/or HRTV...with their races only 15 minutes apart...I'm gonna miss something:mad: ...but, at least I can watch on TVG/HRTV....I assume you don't have those channels, Z to crush...that is so a total bummer.

Maybe a miracle will happen and ESPN will decide at last minute to televise these races...maybe:bang:

CincyHorseplayer
06-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Cable has so many sports packages with a zillion channels that they need to put all channels out there into a package for horseplayers and make it available to customers everywhere.

I'd love to be able to watch this race and TLG on the New York channel.ESPN's coverage sucks anyway with Tomato Face up front there on it and little relevant information.It was awesome watching Quality Road's Florida Derby turn into an all about Dunkirk event.

I feel the same frustration as a boxing fan too.You can't even follow it anymore.Used to be USA's Tuesday Night Fights,ESPN has a great Friday Night Fights series still,Sunday Night at the Pond is gone,Fox Sports used to have fights on Thursdays and Mondays often,no more Saturday afternoon fights on the bigtime networks.

Excuse my French but F**K golf and poker.What's more exciting a turn of the card and guys walking though a park or a 5 horse battle in the stretch and 2 guys beating the stuffing out of each other??Now that's entertainment!!:D

Marshall Bennett
06-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Agreed....ESPN sucks!! They are supposed to be supporting racing, but looks to me Poker and Soccer and geeze, I dunno...pig wrestling...are more important.

ESPN treats horseracing exactly as its value is to the general public . To you and me this may seem unfair and biased , but to the general public at large , its about where it probably should be .

CincyHorseplayer
06-24-2009, 08:26 PM
ESPN treats horseracing exactly as its value is to the general public . To you and me this may seem unfair and biased , but to the general public at large , its about where it probably should be .

Saturday ESPN has a 6 hour repeat of 2008 WSP,followed by an hour of Sportscenter,then Track and Field.

I don't think the general public wants to watch repeats,no live events til 7 PM on a Saturday.

People can knock at horseracing all they want but ESPN is pretty weak all round and they deserve their lumps.

Marshall Bennett
06-24-2009, 09:43 PM
Saturday ESPN has a 6 hour repeat of 2008 WSP,followed by an hour of Sportscenter,then Track and Field.

I don't think the general public wants to watch repeats,no live events til 7 PM on a Saturday.

People can knock at horseracing all they want but ESPN is pretty weak all round and they deserve their lumps.
Weak all around ? I think not . Just because they don't cover every race that you feel is important , its hard to knock them for what they've done with sports in general . I don't see any other networks fighting to fill your needs .

andymays
06-24-2009, 09:46 PM
TVG and HRTV do a better job showing a race!

Marshall Bennett
06-24-2009, 10:09 PM
as they should .

CincyHorseplayer
06-24-2009, 10:31 PM
Weak all around ? I think not . Just because they don't cover every race that you feel is important , its hard to knock them for what they've done with sports in general . I don't see any other networks fighting to fill your needs .

I just gave you Saturday afternoon's schedule.

Tell me how solid that lineup is for anybody??

You didn't even read my damn comment.You have a set idea in your brain and aren't backing off it.

To each his own......

rastajenk
06-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Personally, I think they're still smarting from 2003, when they touted a Funny Cide-Empire Maker rematch in the Travers and, oh no, neither one made it to the race. :eek: The Derby preps and Breeders Cup preview days will attract some eyeballs no matter who shows up, but to show an otherwise meaningless race just because racing fans are a little juiced just isn't that attractive to them. I can understand that.

Zenyatta To Crush
06-25-2009, 02:33 AM
Personally, I think they're still smarting from 2003, when they touted a Funny Cide-Empire Maker rematch in the Travers and, oh no, neither one made it to the race. :eek: The Derby preps and Breeders Cup preview days will attract some eyeballs no matter who shows up, but to show an otherwise meaningless race just because racing fans are a little juiced just isn't that attractive to them. I can understand that.
Well I think it should be attractive to them. Rachel's preakness victory is still in the minds of many people who don't really follow the sport. In fact, when Jess Jackson said she would skip the Breeders Cup this year, it got national attention on ESPN and Yahoo, showing that many people must care.

To the normal person who doesnt follow horse racing, an undefeated horse like Zenyatta would keep them interested for sure. People who don't really follow horse racing love horses who look unbeatable...like Barbaro, Smarty Jones and Cigar to name a few. I remember when Cigar was on his winning streak and I thought it was a huge deal even though I wasn't even interested in horse racing yet.

All I'm saying is that ESPN could have turned Saturday into a money maker if they tried, but they instead choose to show WSOP reruns and wait until the more important races. They shouldn't be afraid of Rachel or Zenyatta scratching...odds are against that.

rastajenk
06-25-2009, 06:59 AM
All they got to do is come up with a cough, or a fever spike, or a little heat in the ankle, and they're out. And if they're in, they're 1-9 and they win under wraps. Set aside your personal crush and tell us why that's interesting.

I think what people are really asking for is something like ABC's Wide World of Sports, something that could give 15-20 minutes to a race in the midst of coverage of some other event. But to ship people and equipment somewhere for a whole show...not smart.

I don't like poker marathons, either, but to criticize ESPN for not changing on the fly to suit your personal tastes is a bit much.

Zenyatta To Crush
06-25-2009, 01:22 PM
How would this be just a personal preference? Zenyatta was a major feature on Jockeys, even if it didn't get huge ratings, and Rachel is the horse today who is already getting national attention. I'm pretty sure there are many many people who would watch these races if they were broadcast. Who cares if they are 1/9 and win with ease. Its better than watching Cliffys Future win the Rushaway Stakes with one of the most annoying announcers in racing, Battaglia. Durkin and Stauffer are calling the races Saturday, and I'm sure they have many exciting things to say about each.

ESPN would have had a few days to put stuff together, it would have only been a 1 hour telecast. They could've done a couple features on both horses, shown their races, then talked a little after. Then the shows done.

Well, I hope you continue watching your crappy prep races. I've had many people tell me that racing is not exciting after they watched a race from Turfway or Tampa Bay. I bet they'd think differently after watching Sat.

Marshall Bennett
06-25-2009, 01:29 PM
I don't like poker marathons, either, but to criticize ESPN for not changing on the fly to suit your personal tastes is a bit much.
:ThmbUp: ... and as sad as it may seem , the poker marathons more than likely draw a larger television audience than horseracing .

rastajenk
06-25-2009, 01:42 PM
"How would this be just a personal preference? "

Oh, I dunno, maybe Zenyatta to Crush might be a slight clue. :p

Zenyatta To Crush
06-25-2009, 01:59 PM
"How would this be just a personal preference? "

Oh, I dunno, maybe Zenyatta to Crush might be a slight clue. :p
Well I guess I was unaware of the amount of people who could care less whether Zenyatta gets any national respect. I figured most horse racing fans love this horse and would like her to get more tv coverage. You must be the type who would rather win a $2 win bet on a longshot in the Vanity than watch Zenyatta win. You also probably bet a ton on Birdstone in the Belmont, cheering you're heart out that Smarty Jones loses or breaks down. Well maybe not to that extreme, but I bet many fans would love to see Zenyatta and Rachel be on national tv more often, its not just my personal preference just because of my username.

saratoga guy
06-25-2009, 02:00 PM
I wish ESPN carried more racing -- but in this case it's hard to fault the network.

Schedules are set months in advance. Pre-production on a racing program is more complicated than you might imagine (have you ever seen the tractor trailer of production/studio equipment that shows up for these broadcasts?).

Unfortunately, Rachel wasn't confirmed for this race until just a few days ago.

These networks simply can't mount a full-blown production in a week and a half.

rastajenk
06-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Well, Zenny, your characterization of me couldn't be more wrong. It's not as if I don't care. I have spent my whole career promoting the sport in any way I could, in official capacities and in some unofficial ones. If you won't take it from me, maybe you'll buy saratoga guy's response; he's got more of a reputation than I do. But we're both saying essentially the same thing.

Zenyatta To Crush
06-25-2009, 02:47 PM
I wish ESPN carried more racing -- but in this case it's hard to fault the network.

Schedules are set months in advance. Pre-production on a racing program is more complicated than you might imagine (have you ever seen the tractor trailer of production/studio equipment that shows up for these broadcasts?).

Unfortunately, Rachel wasn't confirmed for this race until just a few days ago.

These networks simply can't mount a full-blown production in a week and a half.
Yeah, I understand that. I guess I get so frusturated with many of the derby prep races they show each year, which never seem to help out the fan base. It would be great if they could put an hour telecast together in a week...ESPN is usually ok at putting things together fast. Its not like WSOP fans will be furious if they cut out the 1 hour video of Chris Moneymaker's 2003 WSOP win...or maybe they will.

joanied
06-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Well, I see that just about everything that can be said, has been said...we know that ESPN has several channels...even ESPN News...now, why couldn't they use one of the ESPN News spots, each is a half hour show...and instead of going over the same old shit...baseball scores, football trades, whatever they discuss in these shows...and use one damned 1/2 hour show for the Mother Goose & Vanity...they could promote it as a 'daily double'...two brilliant race horses running at the same time (about) on opposite ends of the country...
seems to me, they'd have gotten enough folks to tune in for that.

Marshall Bennett
06-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Well, I see that just about everything that can be said, has been said...we know that ESPN has several channels...even ESPN News...now, why couldn't they use one of the ESPN News spots, each is a half hour show...and instead of going over the same old shit...baseball scores, football trades, whatever they discuss in these shows...and use one damned 1/2 hour show for the Mother Goose & Vanity...they could promote it as a 'daily double'...two brilliant race horses running at the same time (about) on opposite ends of the country...
seems to me, they'd have gotten enough folks to tune in for that.
Refer to saratoga's post #23 , makes sense .

joanied
06-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Refer to saratoga's post #23 , makes sense .

Yes, I read it and it does make a good point...but, I also think I brought up a good way that ESPN could have aired both races without interference to their schedueled shows...use one of the ESPN news Center channels to air the races...1/2 hour show...and everyone is happy:)

Spendabuck85
06-26-2009, 10:40 AM
The Mother Goose will be shown on MSG Plus as part of 1/2 hour special starting at 5 p.m.
Not sure but it may be featuring The Little Guy.

joanied
06-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Well, since RA & Z are racing about 15 minutes apart....thank goodness for hi tech...I can record 2 shows at the same time on our TV...I noticed in the scheduel that the Mother Goose will be aired on both TVG and HRTV....but the Vanity only on TVG.

I still hate ESPN:)

redeye007
06-26-2009, 05:48 PM
I was just looking at the line up in the Zenyatta race and was surprised to see that in an 8 horse field there is no show wagering and the race wasn't in the pick 6 series. here's a horse carrying 129 lbs at 1/5 odds on the ml spotting rivals 13-18 lbs. It will probably be nice to watch but could the track be any more conservative regarding the wagering? :D

rastajenk
06-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Two scratches from the Goose. Compelling television, indeed! :jump:

CincyHorseplayer
06-27-2009, 03:20 PM

Poker reruns from 2008,compelling television indeed!!:lol:

Marshall Bennett
06-27-2009, 05:07 PM
I suppose RA could be running alone and there would be a case made by a few here for ESPN's exclusive coverage . :D

CincyHorseplayer
06-27-2009, 05:20 PM
I suppose RA could be running alone and there would be a case made by a few here for ESPN's exclusive coverage . :D

You have shared coverage of the 2 best femlaes in the country in the same hour,market it as "Girlpower"!!And that would be marketable.You,as a jaded horseplayer might say "Yeah watch 2 uncompetitive blowouts",but the public unknowing would say "Wow".

ESPN is pure crap horseracing excluded.They may have sparked the revolution of sports coverage but they are pure garbage and I don have the time to sit down and write a piece on how badly they suck,it's that long.Total garbage.

rastajenk
06-27-2009, 06:44 PM
You know, there are rights to these kinds of things. Just because ESPN is the worldwide leader in sports, that doesn't give them the right to muscle in and take over. Maybe TVG had some priority; maybe that MSG thing prevented ESPN from showing anything, even on Classic or ConstantNews. I can't really think of a good comparison, but anywhere else in the sports world, if something significant is developing, they don't suddenly take over. Just doesn't work that way.

GMB@BP
06-27-2009, 06:51 PM
You know, there are rights to these kinds of things. Just because ESPN is the worldwide leader in sports, that doesn't give them the right to muscle in and take over. Maybe TVG had some priority; maybe that MSG thing prevented ESPN from showing anything, even on Classic or ConstantNews. I can't really think of a good comparison, but anywhere else in the sports world, if something significant is developing, they don't suddenly take over. Just doesn't work that way.

I have no clue on MSG but if TVG would not allow a simulcast of the race they are dumber than I think.

What is likely is no one cares about a sport that cant get out of their own way.

joanied
06-27-2009, 07:11 PM
:lol: Bet ya ESPN is sorry they didn't choke up 1/2 hour air time for the (maybe) best two horses in the world today:jump: :jump: :jump:

bushwick
06-27-2009, 07:20 PM
Someone definatly dropped the ball here. This was one of the few chances to expose the general public to the two top females in the world.

offtrack
06-27-2009, 07:21 PM
My entire family thoroughly enjoyed the coverage of the TVG coverage of the two races.

Marshall Bennett
06-27-2009, 09:24 PM
You have shared coverage of the 2 best femlaes in the country in the same hour,market it as "Girlpower"!!And that would be marketable.You,as a jaded horseplayer might say "Yeah watch 2 uncompetitive blowouts",but the public unknowing would say "Wow".

ESPN is pure crap horseracing excluded.They may have sparked the revolution of sports coverage but they are pure garbage and I don have the time to sit down and write a piece on how badly they suck,it's that long.Total garbage.
... and you are entitled to your opinion . You are however my dear , among a minority as far as sports enthusiast are concerned .

CincyHorseplayer
06-28-2009, 01:55 AM
:lol: Bet ya ESPN is sorry they didn't choke up 1/2 hour air time for the (maybe) best two horses in the world today:jump: :jump: :jump:

You bring up an interesting point,one I thought was worthy of it's own topic.What we saw today may have been sleepers but these 2 girls very well might be the best,fastest horses in the country.The male handicap division is a joke IMO.And Rachel beat the best sophomore boys.

In short these girls might be the best horses in the country and are just bad b*tches.Bow down,bow down:D

I'm serious though.These girls could beat anybody IMO.

cmoore
06-28-2009, 05:36 AM
I was just watching sportscenter and they talked about both races. They were comparing records. One of the guys said Zenyatta is 11 for 11 but Rachel won her race by 16 lengths more..:lol: Espn is Clueless when it comes to horse racing.

Marshall Bennett
06-28-2009, 08:21 AM
In short these girls might be the best horses in the country and are just bad b*tches.Bow down,bow down:D

I'm serious though.These girls could beat anybody IMO.
I think you're right . In fact Rachel Alexandra should be the poster child for the Equine liberation movement . :D

joanied
06-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Well...you just can't please everyone...and some are way harder to please than most.

ESPN came on board for racing on their own account...they touted themsleves to be enthusiastic supporters of our sport and planned on airing many high profile races...but, in the long run, we got shit from them...to the point of moving the BC Distaff races over to Bravo.
I'm sticking to my story...ESPN sucks and they absolutley could have aired those two races on Sat.....would the general public have given a crap if they'd taken their Poker re run off air and showed the races...
at any rate, we cannot control what ESPN deems worthy of air time...the thing is, if they don't think racing brings them the ratings they want...then they should never have signed the dotted line.

I agree about the coverage TVG provided...my only complaint is they don't show the entire field during the stretch...we had no idea RA had 16 lenghts on the other two until Durkin called that...other wise, I was very happy about the coverage.

comet52
06-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Since most people watching ESPN aren't betting on races, the coverage is not a big draw and doesn't get ratings. So naturally they reduced it. The casual U.S. sports fan sees a horse race as some sort of television anomaly, like coverage of soccer. "Hey look at that, weird huh? Ok, let's get back to baseball."

joanied
06-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Sometimes it's not about the betting...it's about a certain horse that shines above all others:)

rastajenk
06-28-2009, 02:17 PM
Then maybe Animal Planet should have scheduled it.

rjorio
06-28-2009, 02:39 PM
MSG+ PROVIDED SUPERIOR COVERAGE OF THE MOTHER GOOSE AND THEIR TELECAST FEATURED SOMETHING ESPN DOESEN'T HAVE ,ANDY SERLING.

CincyHorseplayer
06-28-2009, 03:19 PM
I think you're right . In fact Rachel Alexandra should be the poster child for the Equine liberation movement . :D

Name 2 faster horses in the 3yo and handicap divisions that actually race??

You can't.

Marshall Bennett
06-28-2009, 05:24 PM
Name 2 faster horses in the 3yo and handicap divisions that actually race??

You can't.
What seems to be your problem ? Did I say there were any ? You have an attitude malfunction . Go vent your anger elsewhere .

joanied
06-28-2009, 06:11 PM
MSG+ PROVIDED SUPERIOR COVERAGE OF THE MOTHER GOOSE AND THEIR TELECAST FEATURED SOMETHING ESPN DOESEN'T HAVE ,ANDY SERLING.

No doubt...but we don't get MSG here in wild Wyoming :( So, to say the least....thankgoodness for TGV/HRTV

joanied
06-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Then maybe Animal Planet should have scheduled it.

Sorry you feel that way.

CincyHorseplayer
06-28-2009, 08:45 PM
What seems to be your problem ? Did I say there were any ? You have an attitude malfunction . Go vent your anger elsewhere .

You mean like your self declared representation of ESPN and the public opinion in general???

dylbert
06-28-2009, 08:50 PM
When ESPN the Ocho goes live I understand it will cover horse racing... Hammerin' Hank 24/7/365