PDA

View Full Version : Excel template for all 1435 Bris fields

raybo
06-24-2009, 07:44 AM
I am creating an Infotran control file and an Excel spreadsheet that will put all 1435 fields, in the Bris and TSN single file format data files, in the spreadsheet and create the PPs. This will be designed to work with Excel versions '97-'03 as well as 2007.

I need input from those interested concerning what should be included in the spreadsheet, as a template type app.

Tom
06-24-2009, 07:36 PM
You mean like calculating things from the basic data?

raybo
06-24-2009, 08:07 PM
You mean like calculating things from the basic data?

That and what the different views should look like.

raybo
07-11-2009, 05:28 PM
I have completed the control file for use with "Infotran/ITF.exe". It will place all 1435 fields in Bris' or TSN' single file format comma-delimited data files in Excel, solving the problem with Excel's columnn limitation of 234 columns, for versions prior to Excel 2007.

I will try to attach it here.

You can open the file in "Notepad" or any other standard text editor.

Below the file name (AllData.brs) is an explanation for what you see.

Note: Lines beginning with */ are comment lines and are ignored by Infotran. Lines beginning with a positive number are the actual fields from the comma-delimited raw data file. Lines beginning with -1 are blank fields (or cells in Excel). Lines that begin with -111 denote the end of an Excel row, thus, the next field number will appear on the next Excel row.

Each horse's data will encompass 15 rows in Excel. The same data type, for each horse is incremented by 15, so, for example, today's track name for horse #1 appears in cell "B1", if you increment that cell location by 15 you get "B16", thus, today's track name, for Horse #2, will appear in cell "B16", similarly, for horse #3, it will appear in cell "B31", etc.

I will attach instructions for the use of "Infotran", which is a free download on the Brisnet site, and the procedure for importing the resulting data into Excel, in a future post.

This control file will work for all versions of Excel (of course, in Excel 2007, you could simply open the comma-delimited file directly in Excel, but, the resulting data will not be organized, for easy reference, as it is using "Infotran")

I would appreciate it if several of you would double check the control file to make sure I haven't left out any of the data fields, (my eyes started crossing several times while writing this control file, so.....) the possibility exists that I may have left a data field (or 2 or 10 :)) out of the file.

PS: I had to "zip" the file in order to upload it here. Just "unzip" it and open the "AllData.brs" file in a text editor"

raybo
07-11-2009, 06:36 PM
The attached file is an explanation about how to use "Infotran"

raybo
07-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Here's the next explanation file.

raybo
07-11-2009, 06:41 PM
And, the final explanation file.

raybo
07-11-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm still waiting for some suggestions concerning what the spreadsheet should look like and what views should be included (like basic DRF style PPs, include Sartin figures, include a summary view that shows all the horses' using each horse's selected paceline, etc.)

If I don't get some input on this I will be forced to create what I would want to see, and, some of you won't like it, I'm sure.

Warren Henry
07-11-2009, 07:24 PM
I'm still waiting for some suggestions concerning what the spreadsheet should look like and what views should be included (like basic DRF style PPs, include Sartin figures, include a summary view that shows all the horses' using each horse's selected paceline, etc.)

If I don't get some input on this I will be forced to create what I would want to see, and, some of you won't like it, I'm sure.
Ray,

Do it YOUR WAY. There will be some that don't like it no matter what you do, so you might as well fix it as you would prefer.

You have done the hard part, anyone else should be able to figure out how to modify it for their own purposes.

Thanks for your efforts.

Tom
07-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Big thanks, Raybo, that was a lot of work.
I will definitely check it all out.

vikingrob
07-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Another thing to consider, but Excel 2008 for the Mac will take up to 16,384 (2^14) columns. Now if only there was an easier way to transpose a CSV.....

The fact that a DRF single file has over 1,000 fields per horse is one of the weaknesses in the format. In the days when I was loading BRIS data into Excel, I was using the DRF multi format for that purpose, because you won't go out of the A1:IV65536 range. Granted, a little creative use of the VLOOKUP() function could make a perfectly usable file from the result, but then I have created tools such as one that can look at all combinations of up to 15 numbers to find one that adds up to a certain sum, and another that reduces the entire NFL regular-season schedule to a one-page matrix.

raybo
07-12-2009, 07:44 AM
Another thing to consider, but Excel 2008 for the Mac will take up to 16,384 (2^14) columns. Now if only there was an easier way to transpose a CSV.....

The fact that a DRF single file has over 1,000 fields per horse is one of the weaknesses in the format. In the days when I was loading BRIS data into Excel, I was using the DRF multi format for that purpose, because you won't go out of the A1:IV65536 range. Granted, a little creative use of the VLOOKUP() function could make a perfectly usable file from the result, but then I have created tools such as one that can look at all combinations of up to 15 numbers to find one that adds up to a certain sum, and another that reduces the entire NFL regular-season schedule to a one-page matrix.

I think you will see the advantage of using Infotran, after I start designing the spreadsheet. I'll be able to use a 15 row format for each horse and only have to write formulas for 1 horse. Because the "transposed" csv file is also in a 15 row format, I can just copy the first horse's formulas down the sheet to create all the other horses in the race. Then I'm done. It will take very little time to create a DRF style "Form" this way. The first time I created a spreadsheet it took over 2 weeks of writing formulas to get the basic PPs.

CBedo
07-12-2009, 01:06 PM

I have a Ruby program I wrote (all of about 10 lines of code) that transposes an entire csv file. I'm more than willing to share, but Ruby doesn't like to be compiled, so it works best with Ruby installed on your machine.

I think there is a "script to exe" program that will collect the program and all its dependencies and package them up so it works like a standalone executable so you wouldn't need a Ruby installation. I can try that if anyone wants.

If anyone is interested let me know.

raybo
07-21-2009, 04:58 PM
I've almost got the basic PPs template ready, complete with automation macros. I'll attach it as soon as I feel it's in a presentable form.

This will be the 1st version of the template, as I will add other "views" as I get suggestions and get them incorporated. I will do a Sartin velocities view for sure and plan to incorporate a summary view that will allow the user to use a computer generated paceline selection or override some or all of those with manual paceline selections. The summary view will contain all horses in the race along with each horse's selected paceline data, all in one view. This makes comparisons between horses and being able to see "the big picture", for the race (like pace scenarios, etc.), much easier than just looking at the PPs or other views.

I'm still open to suggestions from everyone concerning what "views"/methods you want incorporated into this thing.

PS: I will attach a ".xls" file first but can convert it to ".xlsm" for those with Excel 2007.

raybo
07-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Ok, I've got the basic PPs portion completed, I think :).

I also have an update to the "Infotran" control file that I attached in an earlier post, so, please replace the original one with the new one, as I found a couple of errors that will affect where the data fields go in Excel.

Just follow the previously attached instructions to run "Infotran" to load your Bris or TSN data file into the "target.txt" file in your "C:/Infotran" folder.

Once your data file is in "target.txt" you can close everything and open the attached "ALLDATA PPs.xls" file in Excel. (I'll probably have to zip the file, in order to meet the attachment size requirement here at PA, so please unzip it after you get it)

When it opens you will be looking at the "Current Race Card"/"Race Selection" area of the spreadsheet. Click the "Load New Race Card" button just below the "Current Race Card" data. This macro button will load the "target.txt" file into the "ALLDATA PPs" spreadsheet (the race card data starts in cell "EA1"). In the "Current Race Card" area (yellow filled cells) you will see the race card info for the race card you just loaded. Notice there is no race number yet, telling you that you have not selected a race, from the card, to work with yet.

In the area below the "Load New Race Card" macro button, in the "Race Selection" box (blue area), you will see 20 macro buttons with race numbers on them. These macro buttons, when clicked, will copy that particular race data and paste it to the race data area (starts in cell "A1"). Also, when you click one of the race buttons you will be taken to the PPs area where you can view my version of the "Daily Racing Form" PPs.

The PPs are pretty much self explanatory, but, I have inserted some labels for clarification purposes. The PPs will accomodate up to 20 horses per race, so, some of the PPs in the lower portion will be blank due to the race having less than 20 horses entered. This PPs area is used, over and over, for any race on the card you select in the "Race Selection" area.

So, in summary:

1. Run Infotran/ITF.exe.
2. Open "ALLDATA PPs.xls" in Excel.
3 Click "Load New Race Card" button.
4. Click any of the "Race #" buttons.

PS: At the top of the PPs area you will see another macro button named "New Race". This macro button, when clicked, takes you back to the "Current Race Card"/"Race Selection" area.

Let me know what you think of the spreadsheet and if you have any problems or suggestions.

There's more to come folks, so, don't think that the basic PPs are all that you will be able to do with this spreadsheet.

Again, if any of you have requests for particular handicapping methods or views, please let me know.

All ideas/suggestions are welcome!

raybo
07-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Well, I can't attach the spreadsheet due to size. Here's the updated control file.

Send me a PM or email me for the spreadsheet.

BIG49010
07-26-2009, 09:37 AM
Raybo,

Nice program, I only see 1 bug, the race conditions show up as a zero where you choose which race you would like to view?

Might be on my end, I don't know. I used the Multi-file to Single-file program to make my file.

Very nice program to work with.

Thanks again.

raybo
07-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Raybo,

Nice program, I only see 1 bug, the race conditions show up as a zero where you choose which race you would like to view?

Might be on my end, I don't know. I used the Multi-file to Single-file program to make my file.

Very nice program to work with.

Thanks again.

Yeah, it must be the Multi-File to Single-File program that's the culprit. I see nothiong wrong with this section on my end.

Let me know if you find something else that is causing it so I can do an update or work-around.

Thanks!

raybo
08-09-2009, 11:34 PM
I've created a website where the spreadsheet, etc., can be downloaded directly, without having to send me your email address.

The site is very basic currently but I plan to expand it to include instructions on the use of Infotran and the various elements in the spreadsheet.

The site also contains a blog where you can post comments, problems, suggestions concerning the programs or if you just want to talk about handicapping.

Here's the site:
http://alldataexcel.weebly.com

raybo
08-17-2009, 05:56 PM
I've added instructions for all the downloads, available on my site. All the instructions are downloadable on the site, in text format. You can open them in Notepad or any other text editor.

The instructions cover downloading Infotran and where to put the downloaded files, the "AllData.brs" control file for Infotran, the "Target.txt" file, how to run the "ITF.exe" DOS program in the Infotran folder, and how to use the "AllData PPs.xls" spreadsheet.

The link to my site is in my signature, below.

EQUIPACE
08-17-2009, 10:34 PM
Raybo,

1st off, let me say, you must have spent hours creating your final product.
Or should I say 100's of hours to get just the right fields to import to EXCEL.
It's quite impressive to say the least... :) The spreadsheet links work great too. Your sample PP spreadsheet handles and sorts the data as well or better than any PP in print out there. Not to mention, it looks sweet too. Bravo! And thank you for sharing that with us. GREAT JOB!

Since the mid 80's I started with Excel version 3.5, it might have even been 4.0 to experiment with .drf data. Actually, my first days using Excel, I use to data input the figures right from the racing form itself. It was ridiculous. I would stay up till 3 or 4 a.m. and print my reports just to stay at home or try to go to work and not play a single race because I was so sleep deprived. :bang:
It did not matter to me then because I was hooked on Excel and knew the data could be manipulated into anything possible. Truth be told, it was not only exciting, but a fantastic learning experience. These days I would not handicap a single race with out being able to look at my customised reports. The bottom line here is, that it has helped my bottom line. Actually, The (BOTTOM LINE) is that learning and using Excel has proved useful in my job, personal finances, as well as horse racing. All Thanks To Those Good Old Days Of Handicapping Horses.

I have to say, I too used the INFOTRAN program to create the control files and extract just the data I wanted to create several specific, customized reports. As you probably know, I ended up with several control files, (each) just to extract what was useful to create the individual reports. If I remember right, it was at least 8 or 10 separate .csv importaable spreadsheet files. The tedious hours I spent were grueling. The main thing is that it worked, and I could manipulate the data that at the time included my own home grown Speed/Pace or FPS (Feet Per Second) figures etc. all to my personal taste. This was the case untill about a year or so ago.

I'm really curious why your not using the lastest version of Excel... (EXCEL 2007) With the thousands of fields vertically, you can start with a single spreadsheet that holds all the data from every 1400 + .drf field, and just build your program or reports from there. Your work book, could have a separate sheet for PP's, as well as, a separate SPEED/PACE Report, Horse/Jockey/Trainer/stats info, Not to mention, Charts, Pivot Tables etc.

I have even finished a report sheet that autofills and upgrades the current odds automatically from the web every minute leading to post time odds at my favorite track(s)... This helps me to find overlays based off my own odds line.
I will say, this took quite some hours to set up but it does work...

Let me say, I have nothing against the INFOTRAN program, other than it's just plain outdated.

All I am trying to say here, when it's all said and done is, I cant see buying another handicapping program. (I must own at least 25 or 30 handicapping software programs) and out of those maybe 2 or 3 are worth the money. Why? When I can build my own custom program and know what every figure represents... Not some arbitrary figure that is proprietary or that works ocassionally, and you have no clue how it was created, or what it really represents.

Just had to chime in Raybo, since we have a bit in common...

Again, Great Job... Great Site... And Thank You For Sharing...
BTW - Your about you on your site sounded so much like me.

P.S. I'm already experimenting with a way to pretty up my PP spread after looking how you did yours... Thank You!

John
~żo

raybo
08-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Raybo,

1st off, let me say, you must have spent hours creating your final product.
Or should I say 100's of hours to get just the right fields to import to EXCEL.
It's quite impressive to say the least... :) The spreadsheet links work great too. Your sample PP spreadsheet handles and sorts the data as well or better than any PP in print out there. Not to mention, it looks sweet too. Bravo! And thank you for sharing that with us. GREAT JOB!

Since the mid 80's I started with Excel version 3.5, it might have even been 4.0 to experiment with .drf data. Actually, my first days using Excel, I use to data input the figures right from the racing form itself. It was ridiculous. I would stay up till 3 or 4 a.m. and print my reports just to stay at home or try to go to work and not play a single race because I was so sleep deprived. :bang:
It did not matter to me then because I was hooked on Excel and knew the data could be manipulated into anything possible. Truth be told, it was not only exciting, but a fantastic learning experience. These days I would not handicap a single race with out being able to look at my customised reports. The bottom line here is, that it has helped my bottom line. Actually, The (BOTTOM LINE) is that learning and using Excel has proved useful in my job, personal finances, as well as horse racing. All Thanks To Those Good Old Days Of Handicapping Horses.

I have to say, I too used the INFOTRAN program to create the control files and extract just the data I wanted to create several specific, customized reports. As you probably know, I ended up with several control files, (each) just to extract what was useful to create the individual reports. If I remember right, it was at least 8 or 10 separate .csv importaable spreadsheet files. The tedious hours I spent were grueling. The main thing is that it worked, and I could manipulate the data that at the time included my own home grown Speed/Pace or FPS (Feet Per Second) figures etc. all to my personal taste. This was the case untill about a year or so ago.

I'm really curious why your not using the lastest version of Excel... (EXCEL 2007) With the thousands of fields vertically, you can start with a single spreadsheet that holds all the data from every 1400 + .drf field, and just build your program or reports from there. Your work book, could have a separate sheet for PP's, as well as, a separate SPEED/PACE Report, Horse/Jockey/Trainer/stats info, Not to mention, Charts, Pivot Tables etc.

I have even finished a report sheet that autofills and upgrades the current odds automatically from the web every minute leading to post time odds at my favorite track(s)... This helps me to find overlays based off my own odds line.
I will say, this took quite some hours to set up but it does work...

Let me say, I have nothing against the INFOTRAN program, other than it's just plain outdated.

All I am trying to say here, when it's all said and done is, I cant see buying another handicapping program. (I must own at least 25 or 30 handicapping software programs) and out of those maybe 2 or 3 are worth the money. Why? When I can build my own custom program and know what every figure represents... Not some arbitrary figure that is proprietary or that works ocassionally, and you have no clue how it was created, or what it really represents.

Just had to chime in Raybo, since we have a bit in common...

Again, Great Job... Great Site... And Thank You For Sharing...
BTW - Your about you on your site sounded so much like me.

P.S. I'm already experimenting with a way to pretty up my PP spread after looking how you did yours... Thank You!

John
~żo

John,

Thanks for the kind words. I've been using Excel for years and wouldn't consider using anything else.

I do have Excel 2007 but I still prefer to use my own control file to import data into it. My control file groups data like I want it and I already have all the data formulas written for most anything you can think of so writing new ones to try a new method is a snap, I just scroll horizontally from my other data and start writing formulas, referencing horizontally.

I've got all my methods, printing, sorting, etc., macro'd, so, all I do is click buttons.

The "AllData" spreadsheet template is something I decided to do to help others who have problems importing all the data in the 1435 fields from Bris or TSN. The spreadsheet and the control file work with all versions of Excel, including Excel 2007.

The template is extremely basic, at the present time, only the PPs, but I will be adding "fps" velocity figures, along the line of the Sartin/Brohammer stuff, as well as, race summary, pace, class, and condition views, for example, among other things. I will have auto and manual pace line selection available, also.

EQUIPACE
08-18-2009, 10:27 PM
From Raybo:
I just scroll horizontally from my other data and start writing formulas, referencing horizontally.

Raybo,

If I understand what your saying, then this must have taken some time to write or record the macro to force it to display the info VERTICALLY like a normal DRF Past Performance line.
If I'm right, you certainly have serious patience, and must have set up that spreadsheet which dispalys it vertically and then using something like Copy - Paste- Then Paste Special, and selecting the TRANSPOSE feature. Man, you either are a glutten for tedious punishment or is there an easier way? Is There a function these days to handle that? I think I'm due for an updated course on the formulas and function possibilities. Or, maybe I am just having a brain fart here...

I would really appreciate knowing what method you use to reference the data and force it from a horizontal to verticle layout. That has been a major obstacle for me.

I hope this makes some sense here...

John
~żo

CBedo
08-18-2009, 11:00 PM
I would really appreciate knowing what method you use to reference the data and force it from a horizontal to verticle layout. That has been a major obstacle for me.

John
~żoThe easiest way to transpose the data I think is to just transpose the whole data file before you process it (a relativley easy process--I do it in Ruby in about 8 lines of code), but it also isn't too mind boggling to create a template in Excel that transposes the history or workout fields as well.

EQUIPACE
08-18-2009, 11:13 PM
The easiest way to transpose the data I think is to just transpose the whole data file before you process it (a relativley easy process--I do it in Ruby in about 8 lines of code), but it also isn't too mind boggling to create a template in Excel that transposes the history or workout fields as well.

CBedo,

Clever for sure....
That is a great suggestion... I'm going to try it...
Thanks for that! It will mean saving two versions of the parsed file...
I can Live With That... AWESOME! :cool:

John
~ż0

CBedo
08-18-2009, 11:40 PM
When I used to rely on Excel more (I still think it can be a great analytical font end end for a SQL db), I would actually just parse the text file into four smaller files. I'd pull out the history data and the workout data and transpose each in separate files, and I'd also pull out the pertinent race info I needed and put it in another text file. The last file was what I used to pull out the trainer/jockey data and put that into it's own file. Then I had four Excel friendly text files that I could use when I needed them.

Also, a quick old DOS trick if you are working on a windows machine. Instead of having to separately do each track file each day, just use the copy command from the command prompt to concatenate all the track files into one for the day. For example, from a command prompt in the directory with the drf files (or whatever extension you are using), just type "copy *.drf newfile.txt" or "copy *0818.drf newfile0818.txt" to just do a single day. Now all your data files will be combined into one bigger text file. Only thing to watch out for there if you do any further processing is that there could be one extra row in the file with an "end of file" marker. Excel has no problem with it, but just be aware of it.

raybo
08-19-2009, 12:32 AM
From Raybo:
I just scroll horizontally from my other data and start writing formulas, referencing horizontally.

Raybo,

If I understand what your saying, then this must have taken some time to write or record the macro to force it to display the info VERTICALLY like a normal DRF Past Performance line.
If I'm right, you certainly have serious patience, and must have set up that spreadsheet which dispalys it vertically and then using something like Copy - Paste- Then Paste Special, and selecting the TRANSPOSE feature. Man, you either are a glutten for tedious punishment or is there an easier way? Is There a function these days to handle that? I think I'm due for an updated course on the formulas and function possibilities. Or, maybe I am just having a brain fart here...

John
~żo

John,

There's nothing hard about what I do. First of all, my control file has 15 groups of data. That means when it gets into Excel each horse has 15 rows of grouped data.

None of my macros do any transposing or horizontal to vertical stuff.

If you look at the data, starting in cell "A1" in the "Alldata PPs" spreadsheet, you'll see that the data is still horizontal, in general.

Now if you go to the Past Performances section and just click some of the cells there you will see that I have simply referenced the cells up in cells "A1" through "Dk whatever". I write all the formulas for the first horse making that horse's past performances have 15 rows, the same as the raw data. So, when I copy the first horse's 15 rows and then paste them directly below the first horse's data, all the formulas increment 15 rows (done automatically by Excel), to create the second horse's past performances. I continue to paste the first horse's formulas every 15 rows down the sheet until I have created the past performances for 20 horses.

There's no rocket science here, just Excel formulas. My macros are mostly for automation and shifting from one section of the workbook to another, etc..

mikejlb
08-19-2009, 02:13 AM
This is some nice stuff that you're putting out, Ray. Thank you for your time and effort.
...mike

Nets
08-19-2009, 09:15 AM
The template is extremely basic, at the present time, only the PPs, but I will be adding "fps" velocity figures, along the line of the Sartin/Brohammer stuff, as well as, race summary, pace, class, and condition views, for example, among other things. I will have auto and manual pace line selection available, also.

Ray,

Looking forward to some of the new things. You have done a really nice job with this and thanks for sharing.

Gary

raybo
08-26-2009, 07:23 AM
Ray,

Looking forward to some of the new things. You have done a really nice job with this and thanks for sharing.

Gary

Don't give up on me. I've been "out of pocket" lately, but, will be finishing the velocities view soon.

raybo
10-09-2009, 11:22 PM
I've added Sartin type velocities to the original spreadsheet. You can download it from my "AllData" website. Go to the site by clicking the link below, in my signature, then click the "AllData" tab and finally click "Download File" for "AllData_PPs_1.2.zip", just below the download for the original version.

I'm leaving the original version up for those who don't care for velocity ratings.

Once you download the zip file, unzip it. Then open the "AllData PPs.xls" file in Excel. If you haven't read the info files on the site I suggest you do so you know how to operate the program.

Concerning the latest version, once you open it in Excel you'll be looking at the "Past Performances" view. Just click the "Pace Ratings" button in the top left portion of that screen to get to the velocities view. To return to the "Past Performances" view click the "Past Performances" button in the top left portion of the "Race Ratings" screen. Of course the "New Race" button takes you back to the race selection area of the spreadsheet for loading a new card or selecting a new race to work on.

Hope this new addition helps some of you. I especially like the "CPR Ranks" (Composite Pace Ratings) and the Run Style (RS) summary portions of the "Race Ratings" view. The "CPR Ranks" help me visualize form cycles and the Run Style summary points to probable pace setups by showing the number of "E+ E/P" horses and their total Quirin early pace points and, likewise, the number of "P" and "S" horses and their respective Quirin totals. This section is colored blue so that it's easy to find.

Note at the top of the "Race Ratings" screen, just below where it says "Race Ratings" I have given you the default values for the DRF track variant "normal" range, as well as the default for time per beaten length. To the right of the defaults are cells that allow you to change these defaults simply by typing new values in for them. All the formulas affected by track variants or beaten lengths reference these defaults so you only have to change them in one place.

Next I will work on an automated paceline selection method as well as manual override for it, in case you disagree with one or more of the automated method's selections.

This will lead me directly into creating the "Race Summary" view where only the final selected paceline data for each horse will be listed so you will be able to see all the horses in the race and their selected pacelines, all at the same time, without having to scroll at all. This summary helps you to "see" the way the race should run and help determine the contenders and probable winner.

If you have questions or suggestions let me know here or in the blog on my site.

I could use your input on options for the automated paceline method like: days since last race, same distance, same distance +- 1/2 f, +- 1f, etc., same surface, # of pacelines to look at for the selected paceline, or number of days back, etc., etc.. I plan to give the user several options for each category which he/she will be able to select individually to suit their own handicapping style.

Enjoy!!

raybo
10-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Concerning the automated paceline selection method, here are some obvious (at least to me anyway) categories for paceline selection criteria.

Recency
Distance
Surface
Surface condition
Form
Class/Claiming Price/Purse
Age/Sex restrictions
Trouble
Pace Call lengths/position
Finish Call lengths/position
Trainer change
Jockey change

These, of course, are just my opinion and there are probably some other categories that should be included.

I want to give the user choices that they can select, as defaults, for each category.

Input on the categories and their choices would be greatly appreciated, as I want to include as many as is deemed appropriate by you, as a group, and whether or not you use all or some of the categories available will be up to you. You will be able to disable any of the categories you wish.

douglasw32
10-18-2009, 09:53 AM
Once again Ray- THANK YOU!

raybo
11-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Don't give up on me ya'll. This auto-paceline method is quite complex and takes a while to formulate so that users are able to set their own defaults for each of the criteria categories.

These are the categories I have decided to include in the auto method:

Track
Surface Type
Surface Condition
Distance
Days Since Last Race
# Days to consider for previous races
# Pacelines to consider
Age Restrictions
Sex Restrictions
Class Type
Non-Winners
Claiming Price
Purse
State Bred

More may (probably will) be added as feedback from users is received and evaluated.

Once the auto-paceline method, and the manual over-ride for it, has been completed I will proceed with creating the "Summary" view, where only the final selected paceline for each horse is shown, each horse in the field will occupy one row, in the spreadsheet, so the user will be able to see all horses and their selected paceline data in one view. I'll also be adding a column for scratched horses so only their names appear in the "Summary", no paceline data.

Actually, I will probably create two "Summary" views, one for the "DRF" style PPs and one for the "Sartin" style ratings. Both will include only the final selected paceline data for each horse.

raybo
11-08-2009, 01:53 PM
One more thing, later on I may tinker with a paceline selection method for those of you who prefer to use more than one paceline, ie; average of last 3 or 4, best of last 3 or 4, average of best 2 of last 3, average of best 3 of last 4, etc., etc..

To do this the user will have to specify which data to use for the average/best, ie; speed rating, E2, avg(E2,LP), sum(E2,LP), AP, EP, avg(EP,SP), etc., etc..

This, too, will take quite a while to formulate, due to all the user options that will be available.

Hang in there! "Rome was not built in a day".

douglasw32
11-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Sounds Great !

Tom
11-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Raybo, Frandsen has some neat ratings they use with the BRIS paces and speed figs in Always. Check out some of their newsletters - they give example sand stats on how they perform...someting like best 2 of last three averged, SR + LP....that sort of thing.

raybo
11-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Raybo, Frandsen has some neat ratings they use with the BRIS paces and speed figs in Always. Check out some of their newsletters - they give example sand stats on how they perform...someting like best 2 of last three averged, SR + LP....that sort of thing.

Thanks Tom,

I'll give the "AllWays" archives a look. I've read many of those newsletters over the years, since they started sending them out to Bris customers. There's some decent ideas in them sometimes.

I might add that once the "Summary" views are completed, the real handicapping begins and the users will be able to go out to the right of these views and write their own formulas, for whatever personal numbers they create, so those will also be viewable on the same rows as the horses' final paceline data.

raybo
11-08-2009, 07:14 PM
A while back I created a summary view and put some macro buttons above each column that would sort the horses by any of those columns. It was pretty neat, as you could view the final paceline data, sorted by: E1, E2, LP, Spd Rtng, Total pace, etc., etc..

This is also possible with "AllData".

bcgreg
11-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Raybo,

Thanks very much for your efforts.

bcgreg