PDA

View Full Version : Internet Warning

Larry Hamilton
07-28-2001, 10:50 AM
Recently I purchased a product named Zone Alarm, a firewall, in an attempt to stop the zillions of viruses that are out there. One of the features of this product is that you can block everything or anything going in or out of your computer to the internet.

Yesterday, I stopped 15-20 attempts of my computer trying to call someone and someone trying to call me. Most of them were my computer trying to call MSN/windows for updates and some sort of BIOS update....

The implications of this are profound. Microsoft can tap your computer, find out what is on it, and fill their data base with your particulars--are you comfortable with that? If not, you better stay away from windows-XP as this product is the gateway to your computer--all in the background!! Furthermore, what is to stop a application producer from adding the snippet of code to your machine (via the program you purchase) to check on you and reply back to their marketing people?

The point is: Did you know all this activity was going on in the background with your computer when you are on line? I didn't

NoDayJob
07-28-2001, 11:33 AM
I think Steve Gibson @GRC.com or @Gibson Research Corp. might have the answer to XP and other invaders. BTW XP is only good for one machine. MS requires you to re-register if you have to reload XP for any reason. There may be a charge for this too. -NDJ

Tom
07-28-2001, 04:45 PM
Bill Gates is going to get a lot more intrusive than he is right now.
The new Windows XP program will be structured so that you cannot change your set up for say, something a simple as adding a new printer or scanner without going to Microsoft and getting "permission" to do so.
IMHO Bill is a dangerous person and he is clearly in violation of anti-trust laws. Unfortunately, he has bought enough good republicans to ensure he will not be stopped. Big Brother may not have showed up in 1984, but he is here now, he is going to continue to try to control the market by stomping out competition and
preventing really sound, workable software (which MS software is absolutely not) from spreading. Why do you think all of his communication software has so many holes in it? Why is security so bad on MS prodcuts?
Get Zone Alarm and find out.
When these 15-20 hits a day are going to MS, don't you think that there just might be a bit of your private inforamtion going out with the signal? The amatures are writing stupid little virus programs for laughs. Gates is doing a lot worse damage IMHO and I am not laughing.
Our country has more to fear from Bill Gates than we do from Sadamm Housein-and I am not joking. Gates can kill us from within.
But that's just my opinion ~G~
Tom

Dick Schmidt
07-28-2001, 08:45 PM
Guys,

I too use Zone Alarm, and am quite pleased with the results. Let's not bash Microsoft so much. What is happening is that your computer has been hacked and is programmed to attack Microsoft along with hundreds, or even thousands of others. This is the newest fun project for the hackers, and has brought down Amazon, Yahoo as well as Microsoft several times already.

If you find your computer doing strange things that you don't tell it to, get a real good virus software product like Norton or McAfee and clean up your disk. Some of these contain "spoilsport" bombs that do damage after you block them. Especially if you use an always on connection, like a cable modem, be careful. You are a sitting duck even while you are using the computer. Zone Alarm (zonealarm.com) is free for the basic product and well worth the few minutes it takes to download.

Dick

Tim
07-28-2001, 11:28 PM
Dick,

Good Advice!

I get probed a couple of times a day. I have to figure that's happening to everyone with a 'always on' connection.

Learn about your hardware and software environment. There isn't any free lunch. Either you spend the time and effort to bulletproof your system or you will spend the time rebuilding it.

Some sites relating to security and privacy on the net.

Electronic Privacy Information Center
http://www.epic.org/

cookiecentral.com
http://www.cookiecentral.com/

Microsoft Security Page
http://www.microsoft.com/security/default.asp

Cert Coordination Center
http://www.cert.org/

Tim

Tuffmug
07-29-2001, 05:18 AM
zonealarm.com site down! Guess the hackers don't like being seen!

Larry Hamilton
07-29-2001, 07:33 AM
Rarely, are posts noteworthy as reference, your's are, thanks Dick and Tim.

hracingplyr
07-29-2001, 07:53 PM
hmmmmm, must be time to buy a mac.

tanda
07-29-2001, 11:25 PM
Tom,

Your opinion is all too common. Of course, whether Microsoft is a monopoly or in violation of anti-trust laws is very debatable. First of all, the anti-trust laws are so complex that nobody understands them. Nobody. If you do not beleive me, then ask yourself why Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson had to hire a special master to advise him on anti-trust law during the Microsoft trial. Think about that a while. We live in a country (purportedly free) where trials are held for violations of a law so complex that the lifetime tenured judge and fact finder admits that even he does not understand them! The, he condemns the defendant for violating those same laws. Some people find that disturbing. That is why it is hard to argue that anti-trust violations are whatever the governement says they are. Do you really claim to understand the law. If so, you are more qualified for the fedearl bench then Judge Jackson (that is not saying much).

Also, the complaints made against Microsoft were made by competitors, not consumers. I am very reluctant to listen to the complaints of failing competitors.

Finally, if you do not like Bill and his gang, then fine. Do not buy his product. There is no requirement that you give Bill access, as you claim, that he has to your computer. First, you do not need a computer. Second, if you want one, there are other OSs, software and languages you could use. In fact, why do you use his product if you have such problems with it? I suspect it is because it is better than anything else out there. After all, if there was a better product from a less hated company, you would use it. So, you must agree it is better than the alternatives. If so, how can you fault a man for making the best product out there?

By the way, I am comfortable debating politics/economics, etc. So, I take no offense and mean no offense. Just an exchange of ideas.

skyblue1
07-30-2001, 12:57 AM
Hi folks,

First post even though I've been following the board for months.

Regarding being hacked - there are several things you can do without a lot of expense.

First, go to https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and click on the Test My Shields button. This will test your firewall and give you a complete report - it's free.
Second, if you are using an "always on" connection like I do, then you can really stop hackers by installing a Router between the incoming connection and your computer(s). A router also allows you to hook up several computers into a network or to add other computers to your account without the extra charge most companies have. In addition, here's the best part - installing a Router will make you invisible on the net. Those people, well parasites is a better word, who are out there with scanners scanning for an open port will never be able to detect you whether you are logged on or not.

Use the link above and test your computer firewall - you may be surprised to learn that you're ok.

Larry Hamilton
07-30-2001, 08:54 AM
I took the test you offered...Zone Alarm passed and was, (I am paraphrasing here) "for all intents and purposes invisible to any known current internet attacks" I feel much better now. Thanks for the test.

By the way, I learned something watching the test. The NetBIOS thingee I mentioned in the first post was a HACKER! I say this because when this test site received my permission to probe my IP, the firewall told me that a NetBios was attempting to establish commo with me. I clicked "NO"...wish there was a "Go to hell" button.

So like someone mentioned above, I have several attempts each day to hack my computer. Now that I am invisible, can they see me showing them one of my fingers?

Dick Schmidt
07-31-2001, 02:56 AM
Skyblue1,

Thanks for the site. I feel much better knowing that my shield is actually working and I am (at least on the internet) the Invisible Man.

You folks out there need to take this seriously. Someone on Dave Schwartz's board just got hacked and suddenly lots of people are getting e-mail with legit sounding subjects (racing subjects no less) and a nasty virus included. You can always clean up the virus, if not always fix all the damage, but it is so much better if you dodge the damn things in the first place. Firewalls forever!

Dick

Dave Schwartz
07-31-2001, 09:21 AM
Dick,

Actually, they were not "hacked." They simply got the same virus (SirCam) which is nailing everyone these days.

It may seem like semantics, but it is an important distinction.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

hurrikane
07-31-2001, 10:43 AM
What amazes me sometimes is how trusting people can be. I guessing not one person here checked out Zone Labs to see if they were even real. What if they just built a software that says you are getting hacked 4 times a day..you tell everyone..BAM...sales skyrocket. Meanwhile..maybe there isn't jack going on.

I use to have a program..still use it..called NukeNabber. This was built by hackers for hackers. I had anouther piece...Kermit I believe it was called.did the same thing ZoneAlarm does...kept saying things were going on...Nukenabber said no. My son logged on through a Linux port and watched and there wasn't a damn thing going on. Tossed out the kermit crap..don't know what exactly was going on but something was fishy.

I guess my point is people see things on the internet..if it looks real they believe it..I'm guessing maybe 50% of it is crap!!!!

As for Zone Alarm...I do developement for a large company that uses thier software...they are for real.

Just wanted to say how readily people are to trust...even Larry..who doesn't trust anyone. :D

GR1@HTR
07-31-2001, 10:58 AM
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10105-100-5789031.html?tag=st.dl.10105-106-1.lst-9-11.5789031

Tom
08-01-2001, 08:24 PM
I don't take or mean anytning personal, either.
And I enjoy bebating these things, too. Soooo....
My gripe with MS is that they are preventing a level playing field by restricting other software systems developement and marketing. It is happening finally, but it should have happened years ago. MS has such iron clade contracts in the industry that many new computers sold without MS OS still have to pay MS a royalty, and this is just not right.
MS knowingly puts out an inferior, unstable, and unprotected product. And they then sell you an upgrade that fixes those problems and comes with a whole new set of problems.
The internet is BG's ultimate target. He wants to controll it and I say he has to be stopped. Monopolies are always bad and they always need to stopped. One of the very few things government should do is level the playing field for everyone. BG is a powerful bully and it is high time he put out of business.
But I could be wrong....~G~
Tom