PDA

View Full Version : Question - Would handle increase solve any problems?

jonnielu
06-23-2009, 09:55 PM
It seems to me, that if the handle were more, tracks would have more to work with even if they lowered takeouts. They would have more to police with, improve infrastructure.. etc.

I know that it is radical, but I'm wondering what HANA thinks of it besides that.

jdl

kenwoodallpromos
06-24-2009, 01:42 AM
IMO, an increase in total TBred racin handle would be the result of one or more of:
1) More people betting
2) More betting per current bettor
3) Lowering of takeout
4) Rebates or elimination of breakage
5) Lowering of at track costs to bettor
6) More races
7) Larger fields
In any case, IMO all positives!!

Cangamble
06-24-2009, 03:42 AM
IMO, an increase in total TBred racin handle would be the result of one or more of:
1) More people betting
3) Lowering of takeout
4) Rebates or elimination of breakage
5) Lowering of at track costs to bettor
6) More races
7) Larger fields
A significant handle increase would only occur if winners are created and the winners spread their good fortune by word of mouth....or if rebates were more commonplace or takeout was decreased significantly (and if either of that happens, more winners which will cause handles to increase even further as more players will be created).

jonnielu
06-24-2009, 07:34 AM
1) More people betting

Could these two be seen as acceptable methods for increasing handle? Is it agreeable that this is one goal that can put all parties in harmony?

jdl

jonnielu
06-24-2009, 07:43 AM
A significant handle increase would only occur if winners are created and the winners spread their good fortune by word of mouth.... (and if either of that happens, more winners which will cause handles to increase even further as more players will be created).

Is that an object worth pursuit to the point that players & racetracks or ADW would throw in with HANA in an earnest attempt to accomplish it?

jdl

cj
06-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Of course handle increase would help. That is like asking do more sales help Walmart, or more customers help a restaurant.

The costs of racing are pretty much fixed. Sure, with more handle, i.e. profit, improvements could be made, but they don't have to be. One thing I'm certain, without an increase no problems will be solved.

jonnielu
06-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Of course handle increase would help. That is like asking do more sales help Walmart, or more customers help a restaurant.

The costs of racing are pretty much fixed. Sure, with more handle, i.e. profit, improvements could be made, but they don't have to be. One thing I'm certain, without an increase no problems will be solved.

A cogent analysis, so why doesn't HANA round up the internet wagering community for a national tour to display how handles can be increased??

jdl

Charli125
06-24-2009, 07:45 PM
A cogent analysis, so why doesn't HANA round up the internet wagering community for a national tour to display how handles can be increased??

jdl

Have you even looked at the HANA website? What do you think HANA is trying to accomplish? What do you think the Pool Party is supposed to accomplish? Why do you think Jeff posted about how much we increased the pools at Monmouth last weekend?

Handle isn't going to just increase because someone says, "Hey guys, we should all bet more because it will be good for the game". Handle increases because: takeout decreases in order to compete with other means of gambling, horseplayers begin to feel safe placing their bets knowing that the odds won't change, all horses are running on even fields because horsemen are held responsible if they cheat, and a myriad of other issues.

You're proposing that we should increase handle, and then we'll have no problem getting the racetracks to support us. Well no s**t Sherlock. Why don't you start us off and double your spending at your local track? Let's see what happens.

DeanT
06-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Handle isn't going to just increase because someone says, "Hey guys, we should all bet more because it will be good for the game". Handle increases because: takeout decreases in order to compete with other means of gambling, horseplayers begin to feel safe placing their bets knowing that the odds won't change, all horses are running on even fields because horsemen are held responsible if they cheat, and a myriad of other issues.

thanks Charlie.

kenwoodallpromos
06-24-2009, 09:01 PM

jdl
Nowadays, is there a major betting site at which, in 1 click each, you can go from program to PP's to bet screen to live race to payoff screen? 1 click link between all?

jonnielu
06-24-2009, 09:53 PM
Have you even looked at the HANA website? What do you think HANA is trying to accomplish? What do you think the Pool Party is supposed to accomplish? Why do you think Jeff posted about how much we increased the pools at Monmouth last weekend?

You're proposing that we should increase handle, and then we'll have no problem getting the racetracks to support us. Well no s**t Sherlock. Why don't you start us off and double your spending at your local track? Let's see what happens.

Actually I thinking about increasing the handle at Monmouth park for the month of July. By winning at the windows and attracting new players that can win at the windows. Then we take the show to Saratoga for a month.
Would that be too ambitious for you?

jdl

jonnielu
06-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Nowadays, is there a major betting site at which, in 1 click each, you can go from program to PP's to bet screen to live race to payoff screen? 1 click link between all?

I always liked TwinSpires interface, but I just dumped them for BetAmerica because I like underdogs.

jdl