PDA

View Full Version : Please Support Our Troops

Ian Meyers
06-23-2009, 06:15 PM
I have never posted in off-topic before but this is important enough to me that I felt compelled to do it.

For a number of years I have been a supporter of Forgotten Soldiers, a non-profit volunteer group that sends care packages to our troops over seas. The organization has hit a rough patch lately including losing it's donated warehouse space in South Florida. On top of all of this, donations have really slowed and they are afraid they won't be able to send out enough care packages for their upcoming "Christmas in July" program. They are in dire need for FINANCIAL SUPPORT to be able to operate and ship these care packages.

I hope you will visit their website at http://www.forgottensoldiers.org/ and can help.

Ian

P.S. I hope I don't offend those opposed to the war efforts. This is not about politics, it's about remembering and supporting those that ensure we can live in a nation where disagreement with government policy is still permitted.

betchatoo
06-23-2009, 06:46 PM
Each Christmas since the invasion of Iraq I've alternated my gifts to my clients. One year it's a contribution to the Yellow Ribbon Society, the next it's the U.F.O. If you feel this is a good one I'll add it to my rotation.

PaceAdvantage
06-23-2009, 10:47 PM
I just made a donation...hope all the like minded folks out there do the same...

Ian Meyers
06-23-2009, 11:10 PM
I just made a donation...hope all the like minded folks out there do the same...

Thank you PA.

This is an organization that is very important to me. I hope others will be able to make a donation as well. If everyone on this board set aside a $2 win bet and donated that instead it would make a tremendous difference to those brave men and women that defend our freedom.

PaceAdvantage
06-23-2009, 11:38 PM
Only $2? Now you tell me....:lol:

Seriously though, it's a very worthy cause and really should be embraced no matter your party affiliation (or non-affiliation).

jballscalls
06-23-2009, 11:43 PM
One thing I don't do enough of is donate anything to charity. thanks for showing the link Ian, looks like a great organization and i feel great for just making a small donation, hopefully it gives one of our brave americans a smile

riskman
06-23-2009, 11:54 PM
Ian- Tonight while waiting in the dentists office I read an article about this organization. Being a vet, I know how it feels being in a foreign land and away from family and friends.

Forgotten Soldiers Outreach has my support and I sent a donation.

boomman
06-24-2009, 04:34 AM
Ian: As a proud vet myself, I really appreciate you starting this thread and you can count me in for a donation as well...........

Boomer

Tom
06-24-2009, 07:35 AM
Great idea, Ian...I'm in.

betchatoo
06-24-2009, 08:21 AM
I've thought about it and I'm going to do a "Christmas in July," theme for my clients and use this charity as their gift.

lsbets
06-24-2009, 08:28 AM
I can't begin to tell you how much the gifts are appreciated overseas. For the last 3 years, my wife and I have run a program where for every pound of coffee a customer sends overseas, we match it. My wife also puts her biscotti in every package, because those hold up amazingly well in transit. We collect addresses from people I served with and from people our customers know. We've gotten back tons of thank you notes, unit pictures, and other stuff. Last week we had a very nice surprise when we received a certificate of appreciation signed by the Secretary of the Army and the Army Chief of Staff in recognition of our efforts.

cj's dad
06-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Done

Tom
06-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Hey, anyone up to a War Room meeting this weekend? We play for the troops - all proceeds go to the cause.

We did this for Katrina victims at EVD, I think, and it was a big success.

boxcar
06-25-2009, 12:02 PM
I have never posted in off-topic before but this is important enough to me that I felt compelled to do it.

For a number of years I have been a supporter of Forgotten Soldiers, a non-profit volunteer group that sends care packages to our troops over seas. The organization has hit a rough patch lately including losing it's donated warehouse space in South Florida. On top of all of this, donations have really slowed and they are afraid they won't be able to send out enough care packages for their upcoming "Christmas in July" program. They are in dire need for FINANCIAL SUPPORT to be able to operate and ship these care packages.

I hope you will visit their website at http://www.forgottensoldiers.org/ and can help.

Ian

P.S. I hope I don't offend those opposed to the war efforts. This is not about politics, it's about remembering and supporting those that ensure we can live in a nation where disagreement with government policy is still permitted.

Exactly! And, no, I'm not offended in the least and if any statist here is, then tough nuts to them. Let the hypocrites gag on their intolerance which they always so quick to admonish others to avoid.

And thank you for the reminder. Joyce Kaufman has often reminded her listeners to contribute to this worthy cause, but I confess that between my busy schedule and memory lapse, I haven't had a chance to do anything until now. I asked my wife to make a donation through her PP account, which we did.

Thanks again!

Boxcar

lilmegahertz
06-26-2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the info....of course I will donate. I too served my country and know how important it is to know folks are behind you. Thanks for the link and I will give it to my other forums in hopes folks will do the same.

cj's dad
06-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Ian, I just copied and fwd'ed your original post to my e-mail list with a request to them to "pass it on".

If everyone here does the same it can only help

Ian Meyers
06-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Thank you very much.

I received an email from FSO on Thursday thanking us for our generosity after I directed them to this thread.

Ian Meyers
06-27-2009, 09:26 AM
Hey, anyone up to a War Room meeting this weekend? We play for the troops - all proceeds go to the cause.

We did this for Katrina victims at EVD, I think, and it was a big success.

Tom that's a great idea. I am going to talk to Jeff Platt about some type of HANA sponsored event where we play for the troops. It's short notice but maybe July 4th is an appropriate day.

cj's dad
06-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Thank you very much.

I received an email from FSO on Thursday thanking us for our generosity after I directed them to this thread.

Just an FYI. I did not copy your entire post, only the sections which were pertinent including of course the link.