PDA

View Full Version : What % of N. East turf races have been cancelled since 5/1?

lansdale
06-20-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm not sure when New York turned into Seattle, but, since I play mostly turf, the monsoon season that has taken so many races off the grass in NY, NJ, and DE has hammered my game. Just wondered if anyone else has been affected by this and how extreme an abberation it is.

DeltaLover
06-20-2009, 07:25 PM
You are absolutely right.

Belmont's racing secretary seems to fill the card with Turf races not giving a dime about the weather forecast resulting in ridiculous fields after the scratches (so far for this meet I recall at least three races with only three contenders)!!

The sad truth is that horse racing has become a joke here in New York and nobody seems to care!

fmhealth
06-20-2009, 07:37 PM
According to Crist, over 60 races so far have been washed off the turf @ BEL. Scroll down a bit on the link for his thoughts.

http://cristblog.drf.com/crist/

fmolf
06-20-2009, 09:04 PM
According to Crist, over 60 races so far have been washed off the turf @ BEL. Scroll down a bit on the link for his thoughts.

this is the third day in a row i have not made a bet at either belmont or monmouth the two tracks i am following right now....the muddy sloppy sealed tracks playing havoc with the results...

swami13
06-20-2009, 09:17 PM
I also get very frustrated with so many tracks "off turf", overseas in the UK and such, aren't most of the races run on turf, what do they over there when it's raining, cancel the whole card?
Here they seem to be so afraid of tearing up the grass. :bang:

dutzman
06-20-2009, 10:11 PM
I also get very frustrated with so many tracks "off turf", overseas in the UK and such, aren't most of the races run on turf, what do they over there when it's raining, cancel the whole card?
Here they seem to be so afraid of tearing up the grass. :bang:

Overseas they run such short race meets at each track that they can afford to run on the turf no matter how wet it is. You couldn't do it with a 120 day meet, but you could with a 14 day meet.

Someone correct me if I am wrong though.....

ryesteve
06-20-2009, 10:38 PM
The sad truth is that horse racing has become a joke here in New York and nobody seems to care!I've seen NYRA blamed for just about everything here, but this is the first time I've seen them blamed for the weather.

On friday, 5 races had to come off the turf. The entries for friday's card were drawn on MONDAY. Do you seriously think it's a good idea to card races based on a 5 day weather forecast??

fmolf
06-20-2009, 10:46 PM
I've seen NYRA blamed for just about everything here, but this is the first time I've seen them blamed for the weather.

On friday, 5 races had to come off the turf. The entries for friday's card were drawn on MONDAY. Do you seriously think it's a good idea to card races based on a 5 day weather forecast??
can't blame nyra.....lots of different track conditions around the northeast this weekend...good ,muddy,sloppy and wet/fast.....all tracks sealed ,this made for some very unpredictable results.perhaps some of the heavy duty pedigree players had some of these longshots...i have not placed a bet since wed.

CincyHorseplayer
06-20-2009, 10:54 PM
It's just been a rainy season period.I'm in Cincinnati and we have been getting so much rain,as much as 1-2 inches a day at times that I'm cutting my damn grass twice a week and watching baseball games til 1 oclock in the morning on weeknights.

DeltaLover
06-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Absolutely yes, it does not hurt to check the weather forecast when you see that your meet is been ruined due to short field and scratches!

The failure of the current NYRA administration is beyond any serious doubt. The attendance for both Belmont and Aqueduct is comparable with third league tracks. What a shame! The most historical race track in America struggles to gather three thousand people and still keeps a $5 admission, plus $4.75 hot dogs! The quality of the racing program is decreasing every year plus they are far behind their competition (TwinSpires, Youbet etc) when it comes to Web presence.

The meet is dominated by cheap turf sprints while races with conditions like Claimers $10K N2L or MCL $15K are dropping its quality to unprecedented levels.

Their starter's crew is among the worst in the nation and daily we have multiple late scratches due to unschooled horses that simply should never got the starter's permission to run.

Going to Belmont this year they raised the VIP levels so much that only a handful of players (clique!) can access the VIP room and its advantages.

It is not uncommon at all to see trainers and even JOCKEYS to bet in the WINDOWS ! They don't even bother to send somebody else to bet for them or to use a betting account, NO, I've seen several of them betting without any shame or fear!

Of course when it comes to objections there is absolutely no transparency and the stewards judge each case with totally different criteria!

Finally What happened with the machines? Why they have not been installed yet? Who is responsible for that?

ryesteve
06-20-2009, 11:24 PM
Absolutely yes, it does not hurt to check the weather forecastSure it would, if you start taking a forecast 5 days ahead of time as gospel, and carding your races around it.

DanG
06-21-2009, 09:07 AM
I realize most tracks are operating on a shoestring, but how fast would an overnight tarp pay for itself? The same tarp that Russ Harris was campaigning for 365 years ago! A retractable tarp fixed to the outer rail and angles to let the run off go in the infield lake.

The handle obviously goes south with off the turf and clearly avoiding some of the overnight rains would put X# of races back on the lawn.

Tom
06-21-2009, 09:17 AM
Or, cheaper yet, spray paint the poly track green.

fmolf
06-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Absolutely yes, it does not hurt to check the weather forecast when you see that your meet is been ruined due to short field and scratches!

The failure of the current NYRA administration is beyond any serious doubt. The attendance for both Belmont and Aqueduct is comparable with third league tracks. What a shame! The most historical race track in America struggles to gather three thousand people and still keeps a $5 admission, plus $4.75 hot dogs! The quality of the racing program is decreasing every year plus they are far behind their competition (TwinSpires, Youbet etc) when it comes to Web presence.

The meet is dominated by cheap turf sprints while races with conditions like Claimers $10K N2L or MCL $15K are dropping its quality to unprecedented levels.

Their starter's crew is among the worst in the nation and daily we have multiple late scratches due to unschooled horses that simply should never got the starter's permission to run.

Going to Belmont this year they raised the VIP levels so much that only a handful of players (clique!) can access the VIP room and its advantages.

It is not uncommon at all to see trainers and even JOCKEYS to bet in the WINDOWS ! They don't even bother to send somebody else to bet for them or to use a betting account, NO, I've seen several of them betting without any shame or fear!

Of course when it comes to objections there is absolutely no transparency and the stewards judge each case with totally different criteria!

Finally What happened with the machines? Why they have not been installed yet? Who is responsible for that?
still a lot of political in fighting over who will get the bid to run the racino...obviously whomever gives the state the biggest cut will win the bid!every one forgets that the nyra has to be awarded the right to run the racetracks by the state.though not a true government agency in the strict sense of the word, it has been run like one since its inception.the are in a transition period now so hopefully things will get better......their have been years of political patronage jobs given to people who are not racing savvy people.hopefully things will turn around as the nyra moves forward in these difficult times.i feel they still put out a better product then most if not all racing circuits....born an raised on long island in the shadow of belmont park, so i am looking at this thru rose colored glasses

DeltaLover
06-21-2009, 11:23 PM
NYRA race tracks during this period are pretty similar to Roosevelt Raceway in its last meets!

lansdale
06-22-2009, 01:00 AM

fmhealth,

Thanks for this stat. I would guess that's somewhere around 50%. A lot of races.

Cheers,

lansdale