PDA

View Full Version : Timeform ratings

Valuist
06-20-2009, 11:14 AM
I must admit I don't know a whole lot about them. I know its only one race, but if the Timeform ratings for the Golden Jubilee at Royal Ascot this morning were any indication, they are, in British vernacular, "pure rubbish".

They had Cannonball rated dead last, 4 points below the 2nd lowest and over 20 points below J J the Jet Plane. In the meantime, Cannonball ran a big 2nd, getting beat a neck or half length while the 2 heavy chalks were nowhere to be found. Ward came very close to getting his 3rd winner of that meet.

robert99
06-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Timeform ratings are largely based on the class of race that a horse has attempted and done well in.
They are not speed nor any other relevant race factor based. Timeform explained why C could not be rated highly when running in today's top Grade 1 race, as below. You cannot ever use a single figure (rating) to describe any horse's chance but unfortunately these companies give the gullible the impression that you can.
Nor can you use them reliably as speed ratings for USA races.

"TIMEFORM SAYS...
Cannonball (USA)
US-trained challenger, has gone close in a couple of Grade 3 turf sprints this spring, but poor strike rate and limitations exposed when sixth in King's Stand earlier this week."