PDA

View Full Version : Oldest stakes race in North America

46zilzal
06-19-2009, 11:47 AM
The 150th Queen's Plate runs Sunday at Woodbine. The definitive history of the contest (The Queen's Plate: A Royal Tradition, by Canadian Thoroughbred Hall of Fame director, Lou Cauz) is under re-write and the author informed me yesterday "Save a dime a week so you can buy it in October when it comes out."

The equivalent to their Kentucky Derby, it is a celebration steeped in tradition as the connections wear top hats and tails to the event (must be a bitch in the oft hot muggy weather that time of year in Toronto). There are no where near the number of definitive preps akin to the US Triple Crown with many of these prepping only once or twice as a normal state of things.

A quick perusing of the past performances gives a strong consideration to the Plate Trial victor Milwaukee Brew with Tasty Tradition and Rapid Release as contenders. Even Russel Baze is coming in to rider an outsider along with Mike Smith and Steward Elliot (on the favorite Milwaukee Brew).

Usually a good contest for a million.

ezrabrooks
06-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Milwaukee Appeal..by Milwaukee Brew. How has Milwaukee Brew turned out as a Stud? It seems I see his winners more than normal. Is he standing in Canada?

Ez

FenceBored
06-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Milwaukee Appeal..by Milwaukee Brew. How has Milwaukee Brew turned out as a Stud? It seems I see his winners more than normal. Is he standing in Canada?

Ez

He stands at Adena Springs South (Florida). I'd be interested to know just how many mares get shipped up to Adena Springs (Ontario) from Adena Springs' various sires in Kentucky and Florida. Milwaukee Brew seems to have a number of good Canadian runners, but I don't seem to hear as much about Canadian offspring of the others.

46zilzal
06-19-2009, 12:13 PM

Ez
computer program only lists the first part of the name