PDA

View Full Version : I just reread Speed to Spare by Joe Cardello

CBedo
06-18-2009, 04:07 AM
... and it still seems pretty worthless!

I had read it when it first came out and was disappointed in it, but I'm in Vegas and my brother had a copy sitting around, so I thought I'd reread it (it's only 100ish pages and big print--to stretch it long enough to call it a book I guess). Obviously a plug for the Beyers, the book spends much of its space talking about patterns and cycles. Unfortunately, no real research is provided (except for a mention to some work Beyer himself had done on a "three & out" pattern.). In fact, it seems that for every pattern the author mentions, he gives ample reasons why it won't work and that "every horse is different." His view seems to be that figure handicapping is an art and "it's in the eye of the beholder."

The other smaller piece of the book is dedicated to convincing us that the grass numbers are worthy of use. He does provide some research here, but onlly to show that top figure horses on the grass do win as often (or more) than their top dirt figure counterparts.

I almost always find something, no matter how small, to take away from a book when I read it, but this one leaves me at a loss. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Maybe I just "missed the point," and someone who got something out of it can educate me and change my mind--good luck.

LottaKash
06-18-2009, 11:02 AM
... and it still seems pretty worthless!

In fact, it seems that for every pattern the author mentions, he gives ample reasons why it won't work and that "every horse is different."
. .
I almost always find something, no matter how small, to take away from a book when I read it, but this one leaves me at a loss. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Maybe I just "missed the point," and someone who got something out of it can educate me and change my mind--good luck.

I thought that too....As this book was recommended by others here in the forum, I bought it, read it, and I was sort of embarrassed to make a comment of any sort about it, thinking that maybe, I too, had missed something....It led me to nowhere..

If anyone would like my copy, I will gladly mail it to you, just for the cost of the shipping....

best,

plainolebill
06-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Ditto, waste of paper not to mention money.

CincyHorseplayer
06-18-2009, 03:52 PM
To me it simply pointed out the simple pattern recognition that you deal with while handicapping repeatedly,day in,day out.It is a worthy issue but not one that needed such elaboration IMO.

I think the DRF wanted to build a simple how to library ala a home improvement series for beginners.It's basic to a fault for seasoned handicappers but that basic point is a regular issue.It seems trite but needs to be a part of the unconscious,backburner mindset of a horseplayer.The writing itself just seems hastily written.

dav4463
06-19-2009, 01:06 AM
I actually like the book myself. I use Beyer patterns and the book helped me focus on some patterns that I knew about but didn't look for often enough.

RaceBookJoe
06-19-2009, 10:31 AM
I actually like the book myself. I use Beyer patterns and the book helped me focus on some patterns that I knew about but didn't look for often enough.

I didnt really care for the book but bought it because i focus on form patterns. The Beyer patterns(and figures also) to me were just a shortcut...especially if i am spot playing or had no time to handicap. I dont think they are useless, but also dont think they are going to fill up my wallet. rbj

kid4rilla
06-19-2009, 02:03 PM
horrible, just plain awful. I'll pay you $2 to take my copy off of my hands.

Warren Henry
06-20-2009, 01:10 AM
My horse betting mentor (whose records showed that he profited from his hobby) bought practically every book and system that came along. I once questioned his sanity and his response made me think.

He said that the books and systems cost an average of $40. He asked me if I thought an idea was worth $40. He pointed out that everything he read gave him an idea - even though some of them were ideas of things not to do.

If someone is serious about dumping this book, let me know and I will reimburse you for postage by return mail.

Greyfox
06-20-2009, 01:33 AM
So....this review is more cold than hot?
Is there anything else that's new that is or has or will be coming out on the horizon that's worth purchasing?

If I buy a book, and if, and I mean if, it gives me 1 idea, ...that idea pays for itself.

CBedo
06-20-2009, 03:44 AM
I agree completely about trying to soak up as much as possible by reading everything and listening to anyone and everyone, but there is a value of the time. Usually, if I get one tiny idea from one sentence from a book, I consider it valuable, but in this instance, I just thought that this book didn't meet that criteria (and I was dumb enough to read it twice!).

thaskalos
06-21-2009, 12:52 AM
How ironic that the Daily Racing Form - "the handicapper's bible" - is publishing nothing but worthless books. I just read their latest book on harness racing - for a change of pace...horrible.

Dave Schwartz
06-21-2009, 01:34 AM
What I recall from reading the book was that enumerated several of the patterns - gave them a definition of sorts.

To me, that had merit worth the cost of the book.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

headhawg
06-21-2009, 10:03 AM
I actually was looking for something new to read, and based on the original reviews from the members here I bought it. I would say that it's a 5 out of 10. Good if you haven't considered fig/form cycles before, or need to re-emphasize them in your handicapping. But there's nothing earth-shattering in it.

Is there anything else that's new that is or has or will be coming out on the horizon that's worth purchasing?I read an off-the-beaten path e-book a couple of years ago that I found pretty interesting. It's called Horse Race Handicapping for the 21st Century by Jim Lambert (not the similarly titled one by Dick Mitchell). It's selling for $6.99 now on this site (http://www.horse-race-handicapping.com/ebook.htm) (which has an awful design, btw). You might find an idea or two to add to your handicapping arsenal.

I didn't think that his other e-book Horsing Around was all that, but there is a combo deal here (http://www.horse-race-handicapping.com/shopebookdouble.htm) for $10.99.

Light
06-21-2009, 04:12 PM
I agree that the patterns would have been more credible if he had stats. Plus the individual patterns should have been broken down. You could almost write a book on the variations of angles within a general angle or patterns within patterns. For example,(his best pattern),if a horse ran a good race 3 back,then bounces,then improves to a fig between these 2 races,he predicts the horse is sitting on a big race today. He's on the rebound. He gives several examples. This simply is not true in most cases.This can be a powerful angle but it cant be used without common sense.Common sense asks what time frame is acceptable between these 3 races ? What if the horse's good race was for a higher class and he's been tumbling in class in the last two races? What about trainer and jock changes. What about distance switches? Surface switches? etc. None of this is addressed because it's too time consuming. Once again leaving it up to the reader to do the dirty work. If this angle worked most of the time I could retire cause these horses pay very well. But what do you expect from a book on horseracing costing ten bucks? If you catch one of those horses,it'll more than pay for the book. Then again Pizzolla uses form patterns in his very expensive BM and caught Summer Bird with a T1 or T2 form pattern. But I've seen this form pattern given to other horses. Most dont do crap. Point is no form pattern is an island.

Cangamble
06-22-2009, 01:50 PM
The week I finished reading this book I hit a pick 4 at Woodbine that paid over $27,000. I was the only winner. It was a 2 by 4 by 2 by 2 ticket ($48).

The book actually helped me eliminate one horse in the fifth that came up in my figures. The horse I used to substitute him won the race.

But I have to say, I fluked the bet. I handicapped the fourth race for the dirt, and missed that it was on the grass. Not only that, but the horse that wound up winning the race, did so through disqualification.

Note: this is a true story. My name is not Larry King.

broadreach
06-22-2009, 02:33 PM
I bought this book and Steve Klein's Power of Early Speed at the same time.
I thought Speed to Spare was awful and don't have it anymore, whereas Klein's speed points and other tidbits in his book made it worthwhile.

1st time lasix
06-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Met and talked to the author of this title at the DRF handicapping forum in Vegas. Went to his break out seminar session one year as well. He seems like a very articulate, thoughtful man. In fact, I believe he comes from a teaching/education background. He uses Beyers as his primary tool because he believes in them. May even have produced them at one time for Beyer at an East coast race course. However i think it is very important to note that he is looking for vulnerability in the top speed fig entry in an effort to get some $$$ "value." The "bounce" theory is investigated and reviewed in his text. That alone may be worth the modest cost. In his seminar he also incorporates trainer angles , recent form, time gaps with works that reinforce his view of the "cycle." Unlike many ............he knows his approach is subjective and nothing works all the time. Show me someone who says any "system" or handicapping view works all the time and I will be likely very skeptical of anything that individual says after that view is expressed. Best of luck!

CBedo
06-22-2009, 06:11 PM
The week I finished reading this book I hit a pick 4 at Woodbine that paid over $27,000. I was the only winner. It was a 2 by 4 by 2 by 2 ticket ($48).

The book actually helped me eliminate one horse in the fifth that came up in my figures. The horse I used to substitute him won the race.

But I have to say, I fluked the bet. I handicapped the fourth race for the dirt, and missed that it was on the grass. Not only that, but the horse that wound up winning the race, did so through disqualification.

Note: this is a true story. My name is not Larry King.Then forget what I say, this is one of the best books ever, and definitely qualifies as one of the great 10 dollar investments!

CBedo
06-22-2009, 06:15 PM
I thought Speed to Spare was awful and don't have it anymore, whereas Klein's speed points and other tidbits in his book made it worthwhile.I agree whole heartedly. Although I was disappointed that Klein never provided any statistics on his measures of early speed (I'm not a huge fan of his speed points), he did provide some interesting research that gave me many things to think about, and his calculations for speed points and bias gave me some ideas of my own on further research in this area.

fmolf
06-23-2009, 05:56 PM

Note: this is a true story. My name is not Larry King.
i have read this book twice as well and every now and then i plan to reread it to get me back to basics when in a slump..it reads easy is more for novices but has helped renew things i may be overlooking!

Cangamble
06-23-2009, 07:43 PM
I agree whole heartedly. Although I was disappointed that Klein never provided any statistics on his measures of early speed (I'm not a huge fan of his speed points), he did provide some interesting research that gave me many things to think about, and his calculations for speed points and bias gave me some ideas of my own on further research in this area.
I use a variation of Klein's speed method to do a quick daily bias for tracks that I do variants for.

harness2008
06-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Does anyone know if NetCapper is still in business. I'm looking for a computer application that they sold called FigLine. I haven't been able to reach them thru the info provided on the net.

proximity
06-29-2009, 12:31 AM
Does anyone know if NetCapper is still in business. I'm looking for a computer application that they sold called FigLine. I haven't been able to reach them thru the info provided on the net.

i have discussed figline and some of its problems on this forum before.
cj has an oddsline tool on his website that may also interest you.

as for speed to spare, i felt that it kinda started strong but really got out of control towards the end. i mean two year olds, second time lasix horses, and especially second time starters :rolleyes: bouncing?

gm10
07-15-2009, 10:25 AM
I thought Speed to Spare was awful and don't have it anymore, whereas Klein's speed points and other tidbits in his book made it worthwhile.

Agreed on Speed To Spare. I agree with another reader that buying a book can be worth it because it teaches something does NOT work, this book didn't even do that for me.

As for Klein .... I reproduced his numbers, and they are not bad. Quirin pace points are marginally better (but much simpler); it's still a good effort though.

so.cal.fan
07-19-2009, 03:02 PM
So many of these handicapping books and methods are of zero value if you are playing the synthetic surfaces.
Speed and Pace methods just don't work as well as they do on dirt....even the superior methods.

andymays
07-19-2009, 03:26 PM
So many of these handicapping books and methods are of zero value if you are playing the synthetic surfaces.
Speed and Pace methods just don't work as well as they do on dirt....even the superior methods.

Amen!

delayjf
07-21-2009, 10:05 PM
He said that the books and systems cost an average of $40. He asked me if I thought an idea was worth $40. He pointed out that everything he read gave him an idea - even though some of them were ideas of things not to do.

I agree with the above, I can usuallly walk away with some insight from any handicapping books. In this case the discussion of patterns was interesting and he did validate the Beyer numbers on grass.

dav4463
07-21-2009, 11:19 PM

funny, I am the exact opposite! I still haven't finished Klein's book, but thoroughly enjoyed Speed to Spare.

delayjf
07-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Does anyone know if his book is still available? I know Jerry passed away last year and the propace website seems to be no more.

headhawg
07-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Interesting that you mention that delayjf as I was re-reading Calibration Handicapping and one of Jerry's angles is in that book. Wouldn't mind having a copy of Jerry's book either.