PDA

View Full Version : Sea Biscuit Book

maxwell
05-06-2003, 08:05 PM
Bought the book a few days ago and really enjoy it so far.

A couple of my uncles were jocks back in the 40's.The book really opened my eyes as to how tough it was for the riders back in the "good old days" .

Kentucky Bred
05-07-2003, 12:17 AM
In my opinion, it is one of the best non-handicapping books on racing ever written. I defy any person to begin the book and not have to finish it. What an incredible ability to find such detail about a different era of racing long gone.

The author, Laura Hillenbrand was ill to the point of death several times while writing the book. She was trying to finish it before her possible death. It deserves all the attention it has received. And the movie coming out will be a blockbuster.

Kentucky Bred

PaceAdvantage
05-07-2003, 12:32 AM
I thought she suffered from Epstein-Barr virus, which usually is not fatal. Are you sure she was close to death??

Kentucky Bred
05-07-2003, 08:07 AM
I think it was on Oprah or somewhere. The problem was she was not properly diagnosed for a long time. She said that the doctors were initially mis-treating the illness and during this time they wondered if she would continue to get worse and die.

It was certainly a monumental acheivement to continue with such an undertaking while seriously ill. The stories of her laying in bed for long periods of time while typing for as long as she could and then passing out and starting that again really gave me some inspiration.

Kentucky Bred

GameTheory
05-07-2003, 12:37 PM
It is indeed a great book. I've rarely had such a physical reaction to a book -- laughing out loud so hard I could barely stop at some parts, wincing in pain at others, etc.

The story of the "shit godzilla" was one of the funniest things I've ever read, and have since found that phrase a useful metaphor for all sorts of things in life...

Bubbles
05-07-2003, 03:52 PM
You all are so right. It is my favorite book. In my own personal opinion, the funniest stuff I've ever read came from the Woolf-Pollard radio broadcast.

"Well, Georgie boy, get on the horse, face to the front, put one leg on each side of him, get someone to lead you into the gate, and then (BLEEP!!!!!) it up like you usually do."

Classic!

blind squirrel
05-07-2003, 04:18 PM
I read the book when it hit the book store.i heard that LAURA
HILLENBRAND had a debilitating illness that prevented her
from traveling,although i never read anything that she was
"near death".

if she never writes another book she's written a "MASTERPIECE"
in THOROUGHBRED literature......looking forward to the movie.

here's a little trivia.in the movie trailer for SEABISCUIT,there's
a scene of the jockey{POLLARD}riding SEABISCUIT through
the woods.that's COREY BLACK{former so cal rider}doing the
riding.

Scarlet Jimmy
05-08-2003, 11:13 PM
Great book, can not wait for the movie. Two weeks ago on PBS's the AMerican Experience they had a special on Seabisquit, with Hillenbrand and Pollard's daughter. I taped it so I can watch it again, it was good.

Bubbles
05-09-2003, 03:07 PM
I cannot wait for the movie either. To my knowledge, they already made a horrifically bad movie on the Biscuit starring Shirley Temple. I think we can all hope that this movie is so much better.